PDA

View Full Version : Roger Money Mason

Pages : [1] 2

hater
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
is gonna be a big key in the Spurs. He looks the most chiseled players after Duncan,Parker,Bowen,Thomas out there.

Great pickup !

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Good take... now why did they give Finley 5 million?

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
He was better than I expected...I think he will fill Barry's minutes and scoring, which will be positive, but he doesn't push this team over the top 4 in the conference...

Amuseddaysleeper
10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Good take... now why did they give Finley 5 million?

If they can give Bonner 3 million, they can give Finley 5 million.

Both are overpaid

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Should have been Barry not Finley suiting up for us tonight. :depressed

hater
He was better than I expected...I think he will fill Barry's minutes and scoring, which will be positive, but he doesn't push this team over the top 4 in the conference...

It's his first game with the Spurs. wait until he gets comfortable. I have high hopes for him.

and to be honest, I really don't expect much from this Spurs team without Ginobili. I expect Spurs to lose EVERY single game vs. good teams until Manu comes back.

HarlemHeat37
exactly what I expected from Mason..I loved the signing, I've been hyping him up all summer, even after his shaky pre-season..he's a GREAT spot-up shooter, solid ball handling and plays much superior D to Finley..

hater
10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
exactly what I expected from Mason..I loved the signing, I've been hyping him up all summer, even after his shaky pre-season..he's a GREAT spot-up shooter, solid ball handling and plays much superior D to Finley..

the great thing about Mason is the bigger the game, the bigger he comes. That is why I was not worried at all in pre-season.

BrianBird
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
dude can shoot, that's for sure. He's nice and long and seemed to get his hands on the ball defensively. If he can continue on this clip until Manu gets back it will be huge. He was certainly a big postive in a game that ended negatively.

NewJerSpur
10-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Should have been Barry not Finley suiting up for us tonight. :depressed

Agreed, but the injury bug would never catch up to Finley like it did with Barry last season, because Findog doesn't give have the effort Barry does.

On topic, Mason looked GREAT, and most of all he was FEARLESS and his stroke had a hair-trigger. Expect him to gradually phase out Finley as the season goes on. Again, the guy looked like a stud that actually fits in with the system.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
dude can shoot, that's for sure. He's nice and long and seemed to get his hands on the ball defensively. If he can continue on this clip until Manu gets back it will be huge. He was certainly a big postive in a game that ended negatively.

+1

hater
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
don't he look like a PIMP about to bitchslap someone?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09GacmVb8w3K1/340x.jpg

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
II do believe that Tim and Tony can average up to 30 points per game

I just cant see them doing that on a consistent basis. I really think this game was the exception and not the norm...

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
We shoulda taken the 8 million being spent on Finley and Bonner and got a couple of more scorers this summer.

Great off-season, Pop and R.C. :tu

nkdlunch
10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
we missed Oberto tonight. beleive it or not.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
we missed Oberto tonight. beleive it or not.

I agree. How much would one or two extra possessions and a couple of cheap layups have helped? You don't miss them until they're gone.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Pop is doing this guy a disservice. He should be starting ahead of Finley - no doubt.

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
we definitely missed Fab..he's soft, but he would have definitely helped us on the boards..when Duncan was out, the rebounding battle was disgusting, especially on a particular possession..

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm happy that Mason isn't starting, actually..Finley can't even score when he takes a dribble..at least with Mason, he has the potential to score on his own..he's much, much better than Mike at this point..

if Pop can give our young guys some burn..Mason, Hill and Farmer could be a very exciting and energizing trio off the bench..

nkdlunch
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree, at least some energy off the bench with Mason

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Fin was efficient with his offense, but his defense and rebounding are atrocious because he just doesn't have the heart for it. He had two or three really bad plays that were ultimately the difference in the game.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
It's still amazing to me that Bonner and Finley make such "bonehead" plays they often lead to turnovers.

clubalien
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
he looked good. nice to have someone that can pull up and shoot the ball

would you still take him over corey?

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 11:06 PM

Maggette? Absolutely not...Maggette would have given us 15-20 tonight and SIGNIFICANTLY helped our fast break offense. It is so disheartening to see the Parker start running on offense only to have him pull up because Finley and Bowen can't finish or drive in the lane to save their lives...

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 11:08 PM
It's still amazing to me that Bonner and Finley make such "bonehead" plays they often lead to turnovers.

It's amazing that you'd say that after a game in which the Spurs had seven total turnovers.

hater

fuck no. but do you know how much more money we'd be paying Corey???

HarlemHeat37
Fin was efficient with his offense, but his defense and rebounding are atrocious because he just doesn't have the heart for it. He had two or three really bad plays that were ultimately the difference in the game.

I agree..

Finley is MONEY off screens for open shots, and still great on open spot-up jumpers..but he can't score when he dribbles, he's a bad passer, terrible defender and rebounder..

I was disgusted when Finley had his hands on that loose ball and pussied out, letting Amare get a ball he had no business getting..very disappointing at a key moment..

a guy like that is more of a situational player IMO..I imagine that will be more likely when Ginobili returns..

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 11:28 PM
It's amazing that you'd say that after a game in which the Spurs had seven total turnovers.

I realize the team had a low amount of turnovers tonight, but I'm talking about their penchant for miscues.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
don't he look like a PIMP about to bitchslap someone?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09GacmVb8w3K1/340x.jpg

Actually he looks like he's ready to Tanqueray.

Purple & Gold
10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Mason has always been a good player going back to his Seattle days. Good pick up for the spurs.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Wasn't this someone's icon at some point?

It's Marcus Bryant's avatar.

objective
10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Mason should get playing time over Finley. Neither was any good defensively but I'd rather lose with Mason. Another season starting Finley = no reasonable chance to win.

HarlemHeat37
10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Mason wasn't good defensively? from what I saw, he was very good defensively..

Whisky Dog
10-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Pop is doing this guy a disservice. He should be starting ahead of Finley - no doubt.

I disagree. Right now he needs to get work on the 2nd unit where he can have a better chance to shine and be aggressive. I think Manu takes over in the starting lineup once he's back and in shape sometime around mid to late January if everything goes well and Mason will have the advantage of already being used to his 6th man role.

Spurtacus
10-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Not ready to blow my load, but Mason was great tonight. Start him over Finley. When Manu comes back, we're going to be deep at SG.

xellos88330
10-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Can Mason play some SF???

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I realize the team had a low amount of turnovers tonight, but I'm talking about their penchant for miscues.

Had little to do with the final outcome of the game, aside from Finley's refusal to cover his man on the defensive end.

timvp
10-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I really liked Mason's performance. He played smart basketball and really seemed to fit into the team. He has the ability to add a dimension to the team the Spurs haven't had in the Big Three Era in that he can be a fourth creator for both himself and others.

The aspect I worry most about him is his shooting percentage. I won't be convinced that last year's shooting wasn't a fluke until I see him over the course of at least half the season. Oh and his transition defense needs some major work, although I liked how he defended in the halfcourt sets, considering how new he is to the squad.

TJastal
10-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Well I have to eat crow on Roger Mason, I thought his game would be limited to spot up shooting but he's displayed much much more .. very good ballhandler and takes great care of the basketball which is very reassuring to have a guy like that on the floor. I think Pop can use him either as a
6th man off the bench, coming in for Finley, but I'd prefer to seem him as the starting wing. Defenitely Popovich deserves credit for this signing.

Finley I believe will give solid minutes this year because of the good shape he's in, but you could see his age is catching up to him, you could see his jumper was falling short on him in the 2nd half of that game. I think he can still be effective but in shorter minutes. He showed he is still one of the better catch and shoot guys coming off screens, and he is still very clutch.

As somebody mentioned before, Parker needs someone that can help run the fast breaks, but I'm not sure who that person will be right now. As much as I respect and like Bowen's defensive game, I think at the very least the spurs need someone who can put help put points on the board in a variety of ways from that position, and right now that would be Manu. I'd insert Ginobili in the starting lineup when he gets back.

Never thought I'd be missing Oberto, but after watching Bonner's shaky ball handling and limited offensive game last night, I can't wait till he returns.

urunobili
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
I am sure he will be great with us :tu

cheguevara
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
he has a killer instinct. Something we need in our team.

tonylongoriafan
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
where can i get that #8 jersey?

mrspurs
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Roger is just another jump shooter like bruce and ime. Which means we will live and die(like last night) from beyond the arc. With the spurs having noone to stop anyone during the 4th quarters of close games and without anyone other then manu being able to penetrate. We will have a short life come PO time. Unless of course we find away to get rid of kurt,fab and bonner. Or at least 2 of them for a guy who can finish or a guy who can rebound and block shots.

hater
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Roger is just another jump shooter like bruce and ime. Which means we will live and die(like last night) from beyond the arc. With the spurs having noone to stop anyone during the 4th quarters of close games and without anyone other then manu being able to penetrate. We will have a short life come PO time. Unless of course we find away to get rid of kurt,fab and bonner. Or at least 2 of them for a guy who can finish or a guy who can rebound and block shots.

wrong. Roger can handle the ball and create his own shot.

nkdlunch
10-31-2008, 09:47 AM
I rather have him come off the bench.

WildcardManu
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM

I saw him move more with the ball than Bruce and Ime.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
The lone bright spot that I see this season.

Ocotillo
10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
The lone bright spot that I see this season.

Hopefully once they get rid of the injuries you can add Hill and Mahinmi to the list.

urunobili
10-31-2008, 11:43 PM
bumping jack flash

SequSpur
11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
good game by mason, he is okay...

he should've pumped fake pryzbilla and threw it down on his ass... oh well... tough loss.

shit.. :pctoss

Anti.Hero
11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MASONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Love this guy.

anakha
11-01-2008, 12:20 AM
good game by mason, he is okay...

he should've pumped fake pryzbilla and threw it down on his ass... oh well... tough loss.

shit.. :pctoss

Looks like Sequ finally jumped on the bandwagon. :lol

Punkkboy44
11-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Definitely a tough loss..Mason should have gone all the way..but that shot by Fin goes in most times..UPDATE:..THOMAS..SUX..VAUGHN..COMPLETELY WORTHLESS..BONNER..CAN SHOOT..DEFENSE..LACKING EVERYWHERE. I predicted this loss after the Suns game..although 1 point was closer than I thought. Glad to see POP benched Bowen..smart move...his 3's will be few and far between this year.

T Park
11-01-2008, 12:33 AM
bonner was actually decent in the second half and vaughn did his job.

bresilhac
11-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Mason was terrific again tonight. The key will be can he sustain this great play over an entire season and for longer periods during individual games? If he can the Spurs have a winner.

timvp
11-01-2008, 12:36 AM
The 0-2 is much easier to swallow with Mason looking damn good. Mason in the starting lineup with Ginobili coming off the bench?

:smokin

SequSpur
11-01-2008, 12:37 AM

are you frickin kidding me? are you that much of a homer? even a 13" black and white tv couldn't yield your assessment of bonner and vaughn.

dude, wake up.

Buddy Holly
11-01-2008, 12:37 AM
The 0-2 is much easier to swallow with Mason looking damn good. Mason in the starting lineup with Ginobili coming off the bench?

I don't think it matters! :wow

Both would be nice as starters or off the bench. :toast

SequSpur
11-01-2008, 12:38 AM

yeah, 0 and 2..... that's great...

spurs need another athletic big or two...

Amuseddaysleeper
11-01-2008, 12:38 AM

Seriously. I also like the effort the Spurs made in the end. It'll be tough staying afloat without Manu, but I think this team will start to figure things out soon.

mystargtr34
11-01-2008, 01:36 AM
are you frickin kidding me? are you that much of a homer? even a 13" black and white tv couldn't yield your assessment of bonner and vaughn.

dude, wake up.

LMFAO haha

hater
11-01-2008, 10:05 AM
motherfucking Roger Mason!!!!

he is an animal

he's got liquid nitrogen in his veins

BlackSwordsMan
11-01-2008, 10:22 AM
mason is pretty badass. He's the black manu
except when he has 3 seconds left to go and is near the rim and dishes it out to someone else :depressed

hater
11-01-2008, 10:49 AM

this is what pisses me off. Bonner at best is just decent. How can we expect to win with this guy? We need a trade or something ASAP

Vaughn was useless last night. he is too slow compared to all the young blazer guys. Hill better step up.

xtremesteven33
11-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Mason will start when Manu comes back....and if he doesnt, Pop doesnt deserve the beard

leemajors
11-01-2008, 11:48 AM

mason, parker, manu closing out games in the backcourt :smokin

TJastal
11-01-2008, 11:54 AM

+1

Exactly what I was thinking, Ginobili seems to relish and play better as the spurs 6th man than he does starting. He also helps anchor the 2nd team and provide leadership and scoring for this group all the while limiting his minutes during the regular season. Lets hope Pop & co go with this strategy.

hater
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
mason, parker, manu closing out games in the backcourt :smokin

+ Bowen, TD

we have the most clutch team in basketball

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 12:56 PM
mason is pretty badass. He's the black manu
except when he has 3 seconds left to go and is near the rim and dishes it out to someone else :depressed

Or when he's going for a rebound at the end of the first half.

The Truth #6
11-01-2008, 03:48 PM
With the new contract they just gave Finley, he isn't just going to disappear. They're going to play him somewhat, and sadly, he's probably better if he's a starter. Off the bench he would probably play worse.

That said, I'd like to see minutes reduced to around 15 a night and let Mason get the majority with the rest going to Farmer to see whether or not he is going to be a player for us. That won't happen until Finley starts missing all his shots, which could easily be by next game. On the other hand, maybe his off-season work and weight loss will translate to a consistently improved Finley? The next weeks will suggest a lot of answers.

However, I've never wanted Finley on the Spurs. I actually thought they should have saved the money and stayed with Glenn Robinson for a fraction of the cost because he was just as good a jump shooter and was the only person outside of Tim with a low post game, which sadly, is still the case.

But, Finley has actually been better than Bowen so far this year, which is not a great scenario.

Small ball is going to continue unless KT suddenly gets it or Ian proves he can hold his own, once he's finally ready to play.

T Park
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
this is what pisses me off. Bonner at best is just decent. How can we expect to win with this guy? We need a trade or something ASAP

Vaughn was useless last night. he is too slow compared to all the young blazer guys. Hill better step up.

You act like you need all stars at every position.

Guys like Bonner, if they play whole games decently, then your going to win a crap load of games.

Manufan909
11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Shit, I prefer small ball when you have a freak of nature like Ime on your team. Dude is strong as fuck, I think timvp mentioned he did the best on Aldridge, didn't notice that but I'll trust in tim... vp. And he was 2-3 on clutch 3's, I'll take 66.67% in that area.

exstatic
11-01-2008, 05:51 PM

I'd prefer he take Finley's old minutes and Finley can have Barry's erratic ones once Manu comes back. Mase can actually defend and take the ball to the rack, two skills FAR back in Michael Finley's rear view mirror.

lefty
11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Mason = BlackBarry

timvp
11-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Additional good news about Mason is he's actually a pretty damn good ballhandler. We likely won't have to ever seen Manu as the emergency point guard again. Plus, if Hill doesn't pan out or doesn't produce in the playoffs. The Spurs may actually be able to pull off a three guard rotation between TP, Manu and Mason.

Hopefully Mason keeps up this level of play. The shooting will come back down to earth but if can improve a bit defensively and become a bit more aggressive offensively, he's going to be a good piece. It's pretty exciting to finally have a player outside of the Big Three that can create shots for himself and others. The closest thing the Spurs had to that in the Big Three era was Barry but Barry couldn't really create much of anything off the dribble on a regular basis.

nkdlunch
11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't understand why SPurs didn't keep Barry and let Finley gone instead.

Eventhough Mason is an upgrade over Barry, I would still rather have Mason + Barry than Mason + Finley. Finley brings nothing that Barry can't bring. And Barry is actually a better ballhandler + play maker.

xtremesteven33
11-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't understand why SPurs didn't keep Barry and let Finley gone instead.

Eventhough Mason is an upgrade over Barry, I would still rather have Mason + Barry than Mason + Finley. Finley brings nothing that Barry can't bring. And Barry is actually a better ballhandler + play maker.

How many licks does it take to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop..........

nkdlunch
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
R u talkin about Pop's beard?

xtremesteven33
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
R u talkin about Pop's beard?

LZ0epRjfGLw

Manufan909
11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
That kid's a dumbass, he should've tried himself.
:lmao

timtonymanu
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
i love Mason! IMO, he's playing better than Corey Maggette.

Mason's fg% is .714. 3pt% .833. TO-1.00 AST - 3.5

Maggette's fg% is .385. 3pt% .300. TO- 3.67 AST - 2.0

nkdlunch
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
83% from 3pt?!?!??!?!?

and we are 0-2?????

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Flux451
11-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I prefer Finely to Barry. I remember Barry making more mental mistakes last year then FIn. Finely has shown in the past he has the ability to be clutch. Plus his shot looks prettier then Barrys.

Manufan909
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Imo NO ONES shot looked prettier than Barry's when he was on the Spurs.

timtonymanu
11-02-2008, 11:34 PM

doesnt Barry not jump when he takes three?

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
be really good if this guy can contribute like what jax is doing now with the GSW....his been impressive so far without baron davis on the team...

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 05:08 AM

That's because you were so grateful that he was shooting.

urunobili
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
dont need to watch more to already bump this shit...

TMTTRIO
11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Mason for 6MOY award this year?:p:

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
how do you like mase in ur face

urunobili
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Mason 4 MIP

itzsoweezee
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
money mason strikes again!

spursfan09
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
how do you like mase in ur face

thats playoff material right there

cheguevara
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Mason = black man's Ginobili

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Mason Is The Shit!!!!!!!!!

cheguevara
11-05-2008, 10:15 PM
what a clutch mofo. unbeleivable.

itzsoweezee
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
how many coaches besides popovich don't give their best players the most playing time? i can't think of ANY.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Can't Wait For Manu To Get Back So Mason N Manu Can Kill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost Writer
11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Nice to see Mason exploding tonight.

Keep it going with the younger guys, Pop!

nkdlunch
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
2 offensive rebounds to seal the deal in 2nd OT!!!!

exstatic
11-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Nice to see Mason exploding tonight.

Keep it going with the younger guys, Pop!

Wait? I thought we were tanking this year?

Asshole.

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2008, 11:37 PM
this should be the official RMJ thread, bump every game

impressed with his progress so far, same with IME.

team still needs more tuning imo....

milkyway21
11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
if we lost the game I'd still be happy because Mason just shown us he can contribute for this team. Like I said when Manu had his surgery , it's not always a catastrophe for a team to lose a player to injury, there could be some better thing to happen: we could find that another player might have potentials. Another scoring option for us. and he's young.

I hope he can maintain a double-digit score each game, who knows, he could win this yr's MIP.

jcrod
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Good thing is when Manu comes back he doesn't have to come off the bench anymore.

timvp
11-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Thank the basketball gods for RMJ. Without him, the Spurs would be dead in the water right now.

RMJ is even more proof that Pop should never take a summer off and let RC be GM. Pop comes out of GM retirement to sign RMJ and draft Hill. That looks like two pretty damn good moves by Pop so far this season.

Whisky Dog
11-06-2008, 12:08 AM
A healthy Manu with RMJ, TP, and TD should provide the offense the Spurs were lacking.

Now they need to get the defense and especially rebounding bolstered with some front court help. All the marbles look to be on Ian. Don't let us down, kid.

duncan228
11-06-2008, 12:08 AM
He fits this team like he was made for it.

timvp
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Now they need to get the defense and especially rebounding bolstered with some front court help. All the marbles look to be on Ian. Don't let us down, kid.

http://spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

No worries.

:drunk

timtonymanu
11-06-2008, 04:07 AM
and alot of analysts thought getting mason wasnt a strong move for the Spurs.

Go Mason!! He's definitely an upgrade over Barry and Finley.

angelbelow
11-06-2008, 04:10 AM
now we just need to play hill more!

Bender
11-06-2008, 04:31 AM
it's great to finally have a fearless scorer on the team. He took his shots without hesitation...!

11-06-2008, 04:45 AM
it's great to finally have a fearless scorer on the team. He took his shots without hesitation...!

and he plays defense!

Slippy
11-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Mason's looking like the perfect fit for the spurs. He gonna make a lot of money playing off Tony, Manu and Tim.

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2008, 05:39 AM
still not impress untill he jams one in someones face.....when was the last time a spur did that....2005

Manufan909
11-06-2008, 05:40 AM
He is one clutch motherfucker. Idk about his stamina, but he's the only player I want to average over 30 minutes a game, besides Tony, of course. And Fab, when he gets back in rythm. Anything to keep Bonner and KT from getting minutes.

Ice009
11-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Thank the basketball gods for RMJ. Without him, the Spurs would be dead in the water right now.

RMJ is even more proof that Pop should never take a summer off and let RC be GM. Pop comes out of GM retirement to sign RMJ and draft Hill. That looks like two pretty damn good moves by Pop so far this season.

If that is true maybe RC should be canned because most of his moves have sucked ;).

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2008, 06:01 AM
the fans of the wizards want him back hahahahahahha

Brazil
11-06-2008, 07:43 AM
if we lost the game I'd still be happy because Mason just shown us he can contribute for this team. Like I said when Manu had his surgery , it's not always a catastrophe for a team to lose a player to injury, there could be some better thing to happen: we could find that another player might have potentials. Another scoring option for us. and he's young.

I hope he can maintain a double-digit score each game, who knows, he could win this yr's MIP.

+1 ! Mason for the MIP !!!!!!

boutons_
11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
If Pop tries to bring along Hill, Ian, Tolliver, AND they actually come along, we'll be alright.

Matt, Michael, and Bruce should yield lots of minutes.

Come on, Pop, it's Nov/Dec/Jan, let the new guys have some PT.

Who would have thought Mason would blossom into a key contributor based on his career stats?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/career_stats.html

He has a fluid, unrushed game, very deceptive.

Buddy Holly
11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I like how he creates his own shot from time to time. Something Finley and Barry could never do.

Fingaroll44
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Barry could do it, he just wouldn't.

xtremesteven33
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
When Manu comes back i know for a fact that Mason will take the starting job. Or Pop might have so much confidence in RMJ that he might even let him come off the bench to provide instant offense. That would also be great.

But i still think this team needs a trade to really put them over to compete with the Lakers. The Lakers are just ridicilously good. The Spurs NEED a shot blocking Big sooner than later. Im not sure if Ian can get it done. Mcdyess or Deke would be those two guys i would like for San Antonio. Although i would really prefer Ian to come out and prove all us doubters wrong

hater
11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
damn if we had added Posey. Once manu come back we would have a contenting team.

urunobili
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
damn if we had added Posey. Once manu come back we would have a contenting team.

open another thread for "maybe" kinda whining... this one is about Roger Money Mason dude... :devil

m33p0
11-06-2008, 01:48 PM
nah... i'd rather have a contender.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Now Roger just needs to learn how to play defense. Too bad there's nobody on the team to teach him. Hey Rog, watch George!

nkdlunch
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Money already plays decent defense. but I agree he could improve

I noticed even if a bigger player tries to back him down, he does 10x better job than Finley

washingtonwizard
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
hes the reason Spurs are my 2nd fav team

xtremesteven33
11-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Now Roger just needs to learn how to play defense. Too bad there's nobody on the team to teach him. Hey Rog, watch George!

:td

Manufan909
11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Fuck that O_V, he's already the best guard on the team easily, and the 2nd best overall, after... wait, he is the best, period!!! Bowen only barely started playing good D, and Ime and Hill need bigger sample sizes.

Finley, and KT are currently worse defenders than Manu and Ian.

angelbelow
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
hey guys im not from SA so i cant watch most of the games. but i had a very important question, how is masons D? is it above average or is it shut down status? i remember reading an article about how he wanted to be like bruce on D.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Fuck that O_V, he's already the best guard on the team easily, and the 2nd best overall, after... wait, he is the best, period!!! Bowen only barely started playing good D, and Ime and Hill need bigger sample sizes.

Finley, and KT are currently worse defenders than Manu and Ian.

Look, I really like Mason. I think he's going to be the steal of the free agent season and will redeem the summer for the Spurs, but give me a break with the hysterical praise, please. He's a fucking distant third best guard on the team, and he's a distant second among active guards. His offense is great, but he's not a good defender, and he is consistently the last guy back on D. He has a habit of standing there and watching his shot to see if it goes in, and he gets blown by a lot. I'm giving him some benefit of the doubt because it's a new system and he shouldn't be expected to master it as quickly as he did the offense, but facts is facts.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Money already plays decent defense. but I agree he could improve

I noticed even if a bigger player tries to back him down, he does 10x better job than Finley

10 x 0 = 0

nkdlunch
11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
wow just when he's about to have a bad game he delivers on the 2nd half.

that and 1 off the backboard was sweet!

SequSpur
11-18-2008, 01:13 AM
I approve of this message.

-Sequ

Spurtacus
11-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Sequ's out with the positive posts tonight.

HarlemHeat37
11-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Roger on NBA TV right now..

z0sa
11-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Roger Mason will be the x factor come playoff time.

mVp
11-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Nice to have another clutch guy on the team.

timvp
11-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Even when Manu and TP are healthy, I'll still love that Mason and Duncan pick and roll at the end of games. It's been the Spurs' bread and butter during this stretch and it's had great success. Mason isn't as explosive as Manu or TP but he makes very good decisions off of that pick and is probably the best of the three when it comes to shooting off the dribble while moving laterally.

SCdac
11-18-2008, 01:22 AM
"if he backs off of me a little bit, I'm gonna drill it"

- Mason on the game winning shot

fuck yeah.

mason not only plays with poise but with a shit load of confidence.

leading by example.

SequSpur
11-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Even when Manu and TP are healthy, I'll still love that Mason and Duncan pick and roll at the end of games. It's been the Spurs' bread and butter during this stretch and it's had great success. Mason isn't as explosive as Manu or TP but he makes very good decisions off of that pick and is probably the best of the three when it comes to shooting off the dribble while moving laterally.

oh hell yeah...

xtremesteven33
11-18-2008, 01:26 AM
I just love how they are under the radar so much right now....Let the Lakers get all the hype and publicity, well just be about our business....

SequSpur
11-18-2008, 01:31 AM
"if he backs off of me a little bit, I'm gonna drill it"

- Mason on the game winning shot

fuck yeah.

mason not only plays with poise but with a shit load of confidence.

leading by example.

:toast

T Park
11-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Mason is like Stephen Jackson and Antonio Daniels rolled into one.

SpursFan0728
11-18-2008, 01:36 AM
props to Mason tonight

xtremesteven33
11-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey if anybody DVR'd the game tonight you should check out the last play of the game after Mason hit the three FSN runs the replay and they show an upclose shot of Ricky Davis guarding Mason and if youre good at reading lips it looks like he says

"Cmon Bitch"

as if hes waiting for the pick that Duncans going to set....haha i thought it was hilarious....

thekingrobert
11-18-2008, 01:51 AM
with manu and TP back its pick your poison time

Obstructed_View
11-18-2008, 01:57 AM

And it's a heck of a lot nicer than watching Vaughn and Thomas run the two man game.

Manufan909
11-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Look, I really like Mason. I think he's going to be the steal of the free agent season and will redeem the summer for the Spurs, but give me a break with the hysterical praise, please. He's a fucking distant third best guard on the team, and he's a distant second among active guards. His offense is great, but he's not a good defender, and he is consistently the last guy back on D. He has a habit of standing there and watching his shot to see if it goes in, and he gets blown by a lot. I'm giving him some benefit of the doubt because it's a new system and he shouldn't be expected to master it as quickly as he did the offense, but facts is facts.

Whoops, I gues I should've waited til after TP was down to say that. It's not "hysterical praise", facts are facts, as you like to put it. And I didn't mean to include TP and Manu in the discussion, I meant to talk about all the non-Allstar guards(counting Finley, though). I don't get to record the game like you and rewatch so I can catch all the little things everyone does wrong, but I think his man D has been commendable so far.

And I think everyone's allowed to be a little hysterical right now, no one expected Mase to play at this level, he even had a great game with only the Big One to work off of.

ata
11-18-2008, 02:44 AM
With Manu and TP healthy could Pop have killing small ball lineup (TP, Mason, Manu, Bowen/Udoka, Tim)

mattyc
11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Quickly becoming a favourite of mine, despite the fact he sort of looks like Jaren Jackson...

m33p0
11-18-2008, 03:21 AM
there's still some stretches where he didn't seem to know what to do. example was when he held the ball too long and with the clock winding down he handed the ball to bonner of all people. bonner, in turn, thought he's tony and proceeded to drive to the hole. :lol

but, man... his 3 ball is MONEY!

angelbelow
11-18-2008, 03:22 AM
wizard fans told me he was clutch and that he finished games for them, not that i didnt believe them but im happy we get to witness his clutchness ourselves.

ehz33satx
11-18-2008, 03:36 AM
still not impress untill he jams one in someones face.....when was the last time a spur did that....2005

Didn't Micheal Finley jam one in Brad Miller's face last game against the Kings??? Sure did look like it and Sean sure did think so.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
RMJ looks like a big steal in FA this season

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/4f/fullj.7e2e1e3de00d0d1bd862204043c89aad/7e2e1e3de00d0d1bd862204043c89aad-getty-82994403ng030_spurs_clips.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081118/capt.54d8c3cd140443c4bcd2bdd0e57ed7c6.spurs_clippe rs_basketball_las107.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I know I'm a little late, but has anyone suggested Roger "Mercutio" Mason Jr.?
http://www.romeoandjuliet.com/setting/images/mercutio.jpg

Tully365
11-18-2008, 04:16 PM

:lol So who would be Romeo in this play of yours? Parker? Hopefully, the analogy doesn't follow all the way through to Act V!

Brazil
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

:rollin

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-18-2008, 04:20 PM
:lol So who would be Romeo in this play of yours? Parker? Hopefully, the analogy doesn't follow all the way through to Act V!

Maybe. Though I guess that would mean that one of Eva's cousins would knife him at a party over the all star break.

Sigz
01-14-2009, 11:34 PM
LOL

Fuck you ya cock fucker!

NuGGeTs-FaN
Props, major props

best game of the year

Spurologist
What a fucking game!!!!

ManuTP9
MOTHER FUCKING MASON SHIT IM SO HAPPY go spurs fucking goooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lobt2:

tlongII
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Just a terrific game. I can't believe the Spurs won it.

NuGGeTs-FaN
hey he gave thanks to God, even more props to him :smokin

Gutter92
:lol:lol:lol ROGER MONEY MASON!!!

MiamiHeat
What A Freaking Shot

He Does It Again, I Am Impressed

Dr. Gonzo
Holy fuck. Best ending to a game all season.

mVp
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
I love Mason... I fucking love him.

Xylus
I forgive you.

tlongII
The only thing I'd say is the Spurs got away with a foul at the end.

TwelveGs210
01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
HAHA you got that weak ass taunt thrown back in your face fool!!

South Side Spurs Fan
Timmy was awesome. Mason was clutch. Manu imposed his will time and again.

These are the go-to guys at the end of the game.

And to reiterate:
MASON IS A KILLER.

leemajors
that was the best first half of basketball i have seen in a long time. great game.

dirk4mvp
You're right. Mason is a better player than Kobe.

ManuTP9
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
dude my heart was fucking punding the suspense was fucking killing me!!!

hater
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Motherfuckin Roger Money Mason Jr. is a coldblodded killer. Most Improved Player of the league. Top 3pt shooter. what a PIMP

Banzai
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
great game Spurs. Mason is like the mini horry for your team.

Rogue
Roger "buster" mason

I am not a spurs fan but I still feel delighted for their win, because I hate the lakers

nkdlunch
haven't seen such a cold blodded player since.... well I don't remember. he is an assassin

Slydragon
01-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Had that not happen the Mason has no D threads would have been all over the place.

scanry
Tony was ball hogging late in the game and i was like :bang:bang:bang:bang

He chokes against the Lakers time after time...

lefty
The only thing I'd say is the Spurs got away with a foul at the end.

You haven't watched the whole game

lefty

Tony is a fucking ballhogger

Spurologist
01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
:lol

All of the posts on 1st page of Spurstalk had to be merged because of one man. Well deserved.

InK
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow, we really hit the jackpot this year. Hill is looking great and Mason is, well kinda good.

nkdlunch
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Had that not happen the Mason has no D threads would have been all over the place.

what? Mason was playing good D. It's Kobe Bryant he was guarding BTW

player_twister
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
God the Spurs are fun to watch this season. WTFG Mason:flag:

baseline bum
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Huh? Tim kept dropping Tony's passes.

baseline bum
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow, we really hit the jackpot this year. Hill is looking great and Mason is, well kinda good.

Yeah, we lucked-out bigtime on Maggette getting greedy.

nkdlunch
01-14-2009, 11:47 PM

you're an idiot. It was not Tony's fault Spurs shriveled up in the 4th. The game could have been won easier. But Manu, Bonner, Tony + TD fucked up early in the 4th

Capt Bringdown
Now that's how you wipe the smirk off of Kobe's face.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Mason's a rastafarian version of Buckets. Love it.

pawe
01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I am proud to be a member of the church of pass the ball to Mason!
What a freakin closer!

it's me
01-14-2009, 11:51 PM
This fucker has NO BLOOOOOOOOOD....

jmanu20
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Mase has become such a reliable scoring option for the Spurs. Plus, he played respectable defense on Kobe....even though Kobe got his points, a LOT of those shots were very contested.

nkdlunch
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Roger Liquid Nitrogen Mason

SenorSpur
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
The Spurs run more plays for this guy during periods where they're suffering through these bad offensive droughts - like the one they had tonight.

50 cent
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Money. :tu

pawe
01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Pop would not like the "balls of steel" dance. But hey, RMJ does have big balls of steel so he's at least entitled to do that.

NFGIII
01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah, we lucked-out bigtime on Maggette getting greedy.

:tu

Imagine if Magggette had actually considered that winning a championship was something that he wanted by coming here rather than play the "show me the money" game.

Thank you GS!

angelbelow
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
hey how many game winners does he have now? just ridiculous.

dav4463
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Big Shot Rog !!!! Did you see Big Shot Rob watching the game?

Kent_in_Atlanta
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I think it's safe to say... we've learned enough about Roger Mason now to know that DUDE LOVES IT IN PRIME TIME!!!!

On Christmas day on national TV against the Suns, he hits the game winnings shot. Now on nat TV against the Lakers, he steps up his game and his the game winner again.

Mason is a great shooter. We all know that. But perhaps more importantly, where Mason is concerned... the bigger the game, the bigger the player. This guy thrives on big situations. And that is an EXTREMELY valuable thing for a championship contender to add.

His value goes beyond his shooting percentage. HUGE addition for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Give him the fucking ball ~

pawe
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Message to the Spurs: pass the ball to Mason...more!

Avitus1
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Putting another shot into his highlight reel.

Axl Van Dam
01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
haven't seen such a cold blodded player since.... well I don't remember. he is an assassin

:wow An assassin with ice water in his system. Perhaps his moniker should be "The Jackal". What a damn great acquisition. :wow

tp2021
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Mason is the Spurs' new King of Clutch.

bigfish22
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
How about some most improved player talk?

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 12:40 AM
I wanna continously see Mace on the same side of the court with TD, when TD has the ball in the post in the 4th qtr.

Slydragon
01-15-2009, 12:42 AM
OK so I did one for Xmas on the Suns and now I did one for New Year for LA,

Keep in mind, I'm no mouse photo shop pro

Xmas

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9268/massonxmaske2.jpg

New Year

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3831/masonyearqh3.jpg

hater
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Mason's CPU is water cooled and overclocked

hater
01-15-2009, 12:45 AM

:lol that one is good

mVp
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM

Nice :lol

timvp
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
My favorite part was RMJ giving Kobe back some of his trash talking. :smokin

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Something's wrong if we don't see him getting more shots on a consistant night-to-night basis. An outside gunner such as Mason will open up all kinds of options for our inside games, drives to the cup, etc.

pawe
01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
How about some most improved player talk?

that belongs to mr Devin Harris

MeIII
01-15-2009, 12:52 AM
What's with the spank?

I liked how he did the big balls for a second to get back at Kobe.

hater
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
^ I saw that. Mason is a PIMP

SenorSpur
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM

yeah. he showed he's got big kahones too. :lol

MeIII
01-15-2009, 12:55 AM
^ I saw that. Mason is a PIMP

haha yeah.

He started it but then thought "oh shit, I work for Pop" and quit really quickly :lol

Rapper
01-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Roger Mason says:" Kobe, tell me how my ass taste?"

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Spurs need a bit of that. Instant fan favorite. Mason rocks.

duncan228
01-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Winning wall.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_090114_1024.jpg

EricB
01-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I had to hold up the 8 on my jersey just a tad :)

Manufan909
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM

Someone post a link!!! I didn't get to see.:depressed

1usamotorsports.com
01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290114024

check out kobie slapping the rag out that guy

spurscenter
01-15-2009, 01:39 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090115/capt.f4b5b419b29a49558e3291860e27a8d9.lakers_spurs _basketball_txeg108.jpg

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2009, 01:40 AM
3 game winners already..

Brent Barry? my ass..Mason is a good defender, doesn't hesitate to shoot, and he has balls for days..he isn't intimidated by any other players, he talks trash, he has the swagger..what a fucking signing..

1usamotorsports.com
01-15-2009, 01:41 AM
U notice the spurs cap he has on :0

Quiet Strength
01-15-2009, 01:54 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Timmyduncster/Mason-SpursVsLakers.gif

BlackBellamy
01-15-2009, 02:20 AM
So, where are the Trolls?

EricB
01-15-2009, 02:23 AM
I think its official the guy is clutch.

The dude has the clutchness and confidence of Stephen Jackson, but with the offensive talent of Brent Barry.

Capt Bringdown
01-15-2009, 04:26 AM
And look at the way Mason sold that foul as well - a f'n brilliant basketball play.

raspsa
01-15-2009, 04:47 AM
The Spurs are fortunate to have him. Is it too early to extend his contract?:lol:toast

Austin_Toros
01-15-2009, 06:43 AM
never thought Mason would come up this big for us when we signed him. how wrong i was...

greyforest
01-15-2009, 06:53 AM
roger mason = black ginobili

the more ginobilis the better :toast

xtremesteven33
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
My inside source tells me that Roger "Money" Mason will be his new nickname on local Spurs TV.

thanks SpursTalk for coming up with this nickname. Lets hope it catches on quick. :tu

urunobili
01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
My inside source tells me that Roger "Money" Mason will be his new nickname on local Spurs TV.

thanks SpursTalk for coming up with this nickname. Lets hope it catches on quick. :tu

I was going to start a thread with a new nick name that was "Clutch Shot Mase" so I guess I'll save the work...

crc21209
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Bill Land called him Big Shot Rog on Friday's telecast against Philly lol. How cool is that though if Roger "Money" Mason picks up. I got my family and girlfriend saying it. haha.

hater
01-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Spurstalk?? that sounds a little too general.

I take check or credit cards :)

xtremesteven33
01-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Spurstalk?? that sounds a little too general.

I take check or credit cards :)

so youre the one who coined that phrase??

hater
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM

it is documented in the title of this thread

cool, now we need to get ESPN to use it

urunobili
01-18-2009, 04:11 PM

it is documented in the title of this thread

cool, now we need to get ESPN to use it

It has been used in all radio shows in SAT already that's for sure... :hat

xtremesteven33
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
It has been used in all radio shows in SAT already that's for sure... :hat

has it?

urunobili
01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
has it?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2878139&postcount=26

Blackjack
01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Bill Land called him Big Shot Rog on Friday's telecast against Philly lol. How cool is that though if Roger "Money" Mason picks up. I got my family and girlfriend saying it. haha.

He also said, (after Iguodala made the 50-footer) "That sucks." (Then blamed his unfortunate slip of the tongue on some foul-mouth Philly fans he had surrounding him.:lmao)

David Sears and Ksat had the graphic reading Roger "Money" Mason, and referred to him as such, after the Laker game IIRC.

hater
12-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Motherfucking Money Mason is back!!!!!!

I'm back on his wagon