PDA

View Full Version : Lakers sign Bynum to extension

2Cleva
10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
The Lakers and Andrew Bynum have agreed in principle on a four-year contract extension worth about $58 million, keeping their center of the future in the fold through the 2012-13 season, according to sources familiar with the negotiations who would not speak publicly.

Bynum, who will make $2.8 million this season, will earn close to $42 million over the first three years of his contract extension. The fourth year will be a team option for about $16 million.

The Lakers declined to comment, although an announcement could come as early as this afternoon.

Nice deal for both sides.

No money for LeBron though. :lol

TheMACHINE
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
seems fair. Rather have had the Lakers wait till next year.

JamStone
10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Smart move by David Lee. Realizing Bynum wasn't going to put up 20/10, there probably aren't that many teams that were going to offer much more, and that the Lakers have the right to match anyway, it's the right thing to secure a huge contract right now, while leaving it short enough to get a max contract when Bynum is still very much young and in his prime in four years.

I'm a little surprised, but it's nice to see a slimey sports agent do the right thing.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Fair and smart deal

z0sa
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Definitely worth it.

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
great deal for both parties. if bynum gets injury prone, lakers can get out of it in 3 years at 42 mil.

if bogut is worth 10 mil, i think drew at 14 isnt bad

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
yea goood deal here.

lefty
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks fair to me

Medvedenko
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Very nice....maybe now he can settle down and play the game. It must be tough for a young guy dealing with a huge contract knowing that 1 injury can fuck you up and your future. Hopefully he plays more loose now.

ImmortalD24
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Good deal for both sides.

tlongII
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
He should be able to make it rain big-time at his next birthday party.

JamStone
10-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Make it at a club that's wheelchair accessible so Greg Oden can be invited.

dirk4mvp
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Alright! Can't wait to see more missed dunks.

Gino
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
The Lakers will be close to 80 million in payroll next year with only 8 players.

One of those players is NOT Lamar Odom. Can they really afford to keep this guy or even trade for someone with a similar salary?

Allanon
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
IF the Lakers win the Championship, they'll pay to keep Lamar. I think the $14 million a year was corrected to $11 million. I think he's definitely worth $10 million or so.

His role is vital on the team. A chemistry guy and the leader of the Minute Men.

Lamar doesn't finish but he's usually in almost any play if he's on the court.

Plus he's needed to balance off the intensity of Kobe for team chemistry.

baseline bum
10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
$14 million per is a lot, but with only 3 years guaranteed it's not too bad a gamble.

2Cleva
10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
No way LA keeps Odom unless they find a sucker to take Radmanovic and Walton's K for nothing - which isn't happening.

They will re-sign Ariza at 5 mil or so per and fill the rest with minimum guys. LO and Mihm are gone.

LO is a luxury they won't be able to afford, especially with Farmar's extension coming up.

ImmortalD24
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
IF the Lakers win the Championship, they'll pay to keep Lamar. I think the $14 million a year was corrected to $11 million. I think he's definitely worth $10 million or so.

His role is vital on the team. A chemistry guy and the leader of the Minute Men.

Plus he's needed to balance off the intensity of Kobe for team chemistry.Kobe needs to be re-signed to a 5year max deal after this season
Ariza needs to be re-signed after this season

No way in hell will we have a backup pf for 10mil per year.. Odom is on his way out buddy.

Gino
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM

Plus he's needed to balance off the intensity of Kobe for team chemistry.

At 11 million, that would put the Lakers at 90-91 million with only nine guys. If they re-sign Ariza for another 5, that's obviously 95.

If the Luxury tax is at 70 million next year, The Lakers will be paying 120 million dollars for only ten players.

Allanon
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Lamar's a team guy but I doubt he'd go for less than $10 million so you guys might be right, he might be gone next year.

Which is disappointing so I'm hoping they work it out somehow or Buss bites the bullet and goes heavy into Luxury for a championship team.

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
i think they let him go in the offseason. now if they can get a sucker to take walton's deal along with odom's expiring contract, i can see the lakers making a mid season trade but if they play like they have the past 2 nights, no way u mess up the chemistry. lets not forget Farmar who will get a nice 5 mil per year deal also. mihm is gone, odoms gone.

given the lakers depth, i think they will still be fine without LO.

next year 5 would be fish kobe ariza pau bynum. off the bench, farmar, sasha, vlad, luke, powell and mbenga. they will get a rookie prolly draft a big man. also sun yue should be on the big team next year.

RsxPiimp
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
lakers got robbed

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
lakers got robbed

envy......its a beautiful thing

RsxPiimp
10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
envy......its a beautiful thing

im not envious

i just think the lakers shouldve waited till next season since they hold all the cards in this deal.

14 mil/yr for 35 games of showcase seems a lot imo.

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
while i agree, i think bynum inking a deal will let him play relaxed and without pressure this year. his knee injury could have happend to anyone landing on someones foot.

if anything is true, the nba pays based on potential more than any other sport. (maybe nfl rookie contracts). if kwame made 9 mil i think bynum at 14 isnt too bad of a gamble even if its based on 35 games

RsxPiimp
10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
hope ur right. watching bynum soar for those oops was athing of beauty.

also hope oden gets well. i want to see these two battle it out.

Showtime24 LAKERS
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Even though I feel we slightly overpaid, this is fantastic news. No uncertainty going into the off-season. Bynum is ours for at least four more years.

If the orgy wait untill Bynum became a restricted free agent, you know there will be teams that offer him the max, which we would have to match. This way we get him at $5mil+ less than what we would have to pay if he hit free agency.

All in perfect outcome now is for Kobe to restructure his contract next season and we'll be for the next 5years to come!!

Showtime24 LAKERS
10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Considering everything; it's a good deal.

PLUSES
- We've got him locked up
- We didn't have to end up paying him $18mil
- No more worries for him; he can focus solely on playing and improving his game
- It keeps Kobe happy.
- Laker dominance continues many years into the future

MINUSES
- A little more than what he's worth; locks up the payroll

Allanon
10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Considering everything; it's a good deal.

PLUSES
- We've got him locked up
- We didn't have to end up paying him $18mil
- No more worries for him; he can focus solely on playing and improving his game
- It keeps Kobe happy.
- Laker dominance continues many years into the future

MINUSES
- A little more than what he's worth; locks up the payroll

I think it's a win win. The Lakers were looking at a minimum of $10 million if he had a quasi-good year. If he had a stellar year, they'd be forking over $18 million. So this is a good middle road. Some risk on both sides.

Now if Bynum wants that super max $24+ million, he can prove it in the next few years while being secure that he's getting $14 million.

sook
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
lol at O dumb being worth 10 mil a yr :lol

Lakers_55
10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I am surprised they reached an agreement. I figured they would just wait and see how this season goes and if they have to match an offer, they would if he was worth keeping.

So, all that aside, now the team can focus on playing as a team. No one needs to rack up big numbers. Just keep rotating the subs, get a half or dozen or more players scoring in double digits and the wins will keep flowing. Kobe can and will win a title without Shaq. When they played together, they accounted most of the offensive production. Now, many weapons are out there and the defense is developing. This should be a sad year for the Laker haters.

See, Bynum isn't all the difference, but he is a big part of it. When the game is close, two of the key three frontline guys will always be out there. We didn't have that luxury when Bynum was out last year and we outdid the forecasts. We weren't supposed to be in the finals last year, and we were. We are supposed to make it this season and barring injuries, it's inevitable. This Laker team is just that, a TEAM.

21_Blessings
10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
The Lakers will be close to 80 million in payroll next year with only 8 players.

And the Celtics will be paying 40 million to 2 players next season.

I don't see why this is a problem for the lakers. Their core is all signed and locked up next year save for Ariza. He'll likely see some of that Lamar money and Buss will pay the luxury tax one more season before the CBA expires.

Allanon
10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
lol at O dumb being worth 10 mil a yr :lol

Seriously, how much do you think Odom is worth if not $10 million?

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 08:09 PM
And the Celtics will be paying 40 million to 2 players next season.

I don't see why this is a problem for the lakers. Their core is all signed and locked up next year save for Ariza. He'll likely see some of that Lamar money and Buss will pay the luxury tax one more season before the CBA expires.

no thats more like 70 million for 3 players on the celtics =D

Lakers_55
10-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Seriously, how much do you think Odom is worth if not $10 million?

I'm hearing Odom is willing to take a pay cut to stay a Laker.

Allanon
10-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm hearing Odom is willing to take a pay cut to stay a Laker.

I hope he does it, he's the perfect laid back complement to Kobe's intensity.

turiaf for president
10-30-2008, 08:51 PM
doubt its much. his paycut will be 8 million. no way in hell hes playing for the mid level.

IronMexican
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Let's let Odumb leave already. That plan came and went, and it never worked out.

Banzai
10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
He should be able to make it rain big-time at his next birthday party.

he looked like he was dropping $1 dollar bills at his party.

anakha
10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Lamar's a team guy but I doubt he'd go for less than $10 million so you guys might be right, he might be gone next year.

Which is disappointing so I'm hoping they work it out somehow or Buss bites the bullet and goes heavy into Luxury for a championship team.

With the Lakers being over the luxury tax threshold, I honestly doubt Odom's going to get an offer from the Lakers that he likes. If he's looking at a deal around $10 million, can the Lakers stomach essentially paying $20 million for such a deal?

Allanon
10-30-2008, 11:43 PM
With the Lakers being over the luxury tax threshold, I honestly doubt Odom's going to get an offer from the Lakers that he likes. If he's looking at a deal around $10 million, can the Lakers stomach essentially paying $20 million for such a deal?

Probably not but I can only hope that if the Lakers win a ring, Buss just breaks out his checkbook to keep this good chemistry team together.

Lakers2009champs
10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Lakers and Hornets in WCF (BOOK IT)

LAKERS WIN IN 6.

Spurtacus
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
14.5 million a year? Seems a little much to me. I guess we'll wait and see.

Kobe™
10-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Woulda preferred to wait till the seasons end.

We could match any offer anyways.

Hope this invigorates Bynum.
Either way the dynasty is set.

2Cleva
10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Waiting could have cost LA more money anyway. Its not about matching offers (they aren't letting him leave regardless). Its about getting him for the best deal they can.

It was a bold move by the Lakers, who had all the leverage and could have waited this season to see if there were any complications from the arthroscopic surgery on Bynum's left knee.

On the other hand, with an average salary of $14.35 million instead of the maximum $17 million, the Lakers just got about a $10-million discount over four seasons (three guaranteed, the fourth at the team's option, limiting its exposure in case of catastrophic injury).

Add in another $10 million in luxury tax and the Lakers just saved about $20 million.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-heisler31-2008oct31,0,3355127.column

DaDakota
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
I like Bynum a lot, he is going to be very good.

I don't like Oden, never have....Bynum is a way better athlete...

DD

TheMACHINE
10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
14.5 million a year? Seems a little much to me. I guess we'll wait and see.

some idiot franchise will offer him 88 mill and the lakers would be screwed next year. Good work Mitch!

ImmortalD24
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
I hope he does it, he's the perfect laid back complement to Kobe's intensity.

Enough with that bullshit please... We need killers like Posey on this team.

The Franchise
10-31-2008, 12:49 PM
seems fair. Rather have had the Lakers wait till next year.

I agree to a point. To wait until next year may have caused them to payout a lot more if he has a monster season. By doing it now they end up paying just about what they were planning (55 million or so). The only risk they are taking is with injury. If he reinjures himself they will kick themselves for paying a lemon. I think he will be fine though.

DPG21920
10-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Ariza, Farmar and Odom are the 3 players that will be looking for money, especially Ariza and Farmar. They will be coming off their rookie scale contracts and looking to bump up their salaries significantly.

ImmortalD24
10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Ariza, Farmar and Odom are the 3 players that will be looking for money, especially Ariza and Farmar. They will be coming off their rookie scale contracts and looking to bump up their salaries significantly.The Lakers picked up Farmar's option.. He'll be here for another year.

Ariza is pretty much replaceable IMO if he leaves.. but I'm sure the Lakers will try to keep him.

DPG21920
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
The Lakers picked up Farmar's option.. He'll be here for another year.

Ariza is pretty much replaceable IMO if he leaves.. but I'm sure the Lakers will try to keep him.

I was speaking of the foreseeable future, not just next year. If you want to keep this team together fully, it will cost the Lakers, but should be worth it.

Allanon
10-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Enough with that bullshit please... We need killers like Posey on this team.

Stop dreaming, please. If Odom takes a major paycut, he's a steal of a deal.

What killers can the Lakers get like Posey?

xtremesteven33
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Stop dreaming, please. If Odom takes a major paycut, he's a steal of a deal.

Odom is worth 5-6 Mill a year. A role player with all star potential.

Allanon
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Odom is worth 5-6 Mill a year. A role player with all star potential.

If Odom goes for $5-6 million, in my opinion, that's a major bargain for the Lakers.

DPG21920
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
If Odom goes for $5-6 million, in my opinion, that's a major bargain for the Lakers.

I agree, that would be a freaking steal.

xtremesteven33
10-31-2008, 04:39 PM

Yea but i doubt it would happen. He wants no lower than 9 Mill im guessing.

duncan228
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Bynum made sure deal got done (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bynum-lakers-game-2214288-contract-deal)
Ding column: Eager for some security, he gave in more than the Lakers did in their recent contract negotiations.
Kevin Ding

DENVER – Just to be clear, it was Andrew Bynum who told his agent to settle for less and get the deal done.

That doesn't happen every day in our sports world. Then again, Bynum is not nearly your average NBA adolescent.

Oh, he is still juvenile, to be sure — just in a way that doesn't make the owner paying him and the general manager signing him worry about something going bump in the night. That's why no one with the Lakers was the least bit shaken by him being caught on video "making it rain" dollar bills at his 21st birthday party in a Hollywood nightclub.

This computer-loving kid doesn't really go for that scene. Image is certainly not everything with him, which is why he will still wear white athletic socks with his dress shoes … as he just did again Saturday.

"We know what kind of kid he is," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said.

On Saturday, Bynum did not follow up signing his $57 million contract extension Thursday with a performance worthy of superstar money. He had five fouls, four points and three turnovers and didn't even play half the game.

This must be noted, however: Bynum's defensive excellence despite the burden of five fouls early in the fourth quarter was a key element in the Lakers pulling out a victory to reach 3-0.

Before Kobe Bryant took over the game, nearly every Denver offensive thrust, especially those of Carmelo Anthony, was derailed because Bynum was intimidating at the rim.

Defense is primarily what the Lakers are asking of Bynum this season anyway. But the game still reflected the inconsistency the Lakers also expect from him for now. As Coach Phil Jackson pointed out, Bynum gets the monster paycheck starting nextseason.

"He's still working on a salary that's from his rookie contract," Jackson said. "Hopefully within a year, his game's going to accelerate to that (new-contract) point."

The Lakers did well in the negotiations with Bynum. They got his agent off that inflated asking price of Chris Paul money — the maximum permitted to any player by the collective-bargaining agreement.

But even more important were the years — not so much that there are only three of them with Bynum so recently having injured his knee, but the fourth year is the Lakers' option instead of Bynum's.

That's a huge victory for the Lakers, who don't envision Bynum even growing into his frame fully for another two or three years. If Bynum erupts in the next four years — as is completely expected — the Lakers will exercise that option and still not be paying him maximum money in 2012-13.

And in the short view, it's great for focusing on this season to have Bynum's contract issue resolved.

"All things being considered, I think it's a good deal for our club," Jackson said.

Said Bynum: "We went back and forth, back and forth. Finally, I told my agent, 'Look, I want to be a Laker. Let's get the deal done.' "

The open market of restricted free agency was all set up to dictate better terms for Bynum after he came through this season healthy. But he took what was offered now, acknowledging that in so doing he "sort of minimized the team's risk."

So why did Bynum give in? To use Kupchak's verbiage, he's "unique."

Most young people — and NBA players of any age — long for freedom. Yet this is how Bynum looks back on his deal getting done: "I just definitely wanted to get secure. That was the big thing for me."

Allanon
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Great article, thanks for posting.

I liked this part the best:

Said Bynum: "We went back and forth, back and forth. Finally, I told my agent,

'Look, I want to be a Laker. Let's get the deal done.'

That almost ensures that he's a lifelong Laker, his head's in the right place. He wants to win, not just go for big money (aka Starbury)

Bynum's done his part. Odom's taken a back seat and hopefully will take a paycut.

Then it will be Kobe's turn to take a little less to keep the team together.

Lakers_55
11-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Great article, thanks for posting.

I liked this part the best:

That almost ensures that he's a lifelong Laker, his head's in the right place. He wants to win, not just go for big money (aka Starbury)

Bynum's done his part. Odom's taken a back seat and hopefully will take a paycut.

Then it will be Kobe's turn to take a little less to keep the team together.

Right on....As long as this unit stays together, every other team is going to try to retool to challenge it. I can see Kobe settling for less $ to keep them together....

Look for Kobe to average under 20 ppg and under 30 mpg this year. A rested Kobe each season means an extra season or at least more effective ones as he ages.

Kobe knows how to win it all and he doesn't need Shaq to do it again.