PDA

View Full Version : Remember this?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-17-2005, 10:52 AM
No. 5: Philadelphia, 2002

Playing in his hometown -- actually, he went to high school in the Philadelphia 'burbs -- Kobe Bryant was brilliant with 31 points, five rebounds and five assists in the West's 135-120 victory. Bryant shot, passed and defended. Plus, he had worn his father's throwback jersey to a Friday media event, Joe "Jellybean" Bryant being an old-school 76er who was still popular around town.

In short, Kobe did everything -- but win the crowd. He was booed in the introductions, booed during the game, booed when his game MVP award was announced. Was it because he was perceived as being not "Philly" enough, more California roll than cheesesteak? Because he played for the West? Because he was a Laker? Because he was, you know, Kobe?

Whatever the reason, it cut deep. "I don't know what to say," said a disheartened Bryant after the game. "I'm happy to win MVP in Philadelphia. The booing was just hurtful. But it's not going to ruin this day for me." Few teammates, it seemed, rushed to his defense either. And so this All-Star Game seemed to cement the idea that Bryant, while indisputably a brilliant player, would never be warmly received by either the public or his fellow players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/02/16/best.allstar/index.html

I remember it quite well, and back then I thought it was very disrespectfull of the Philly fans to do such a thing. Today however, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same (well, actually I'm sure I wouldn't, but not because I don't want to, just because its still a crappy thing to do).

1Parker1
02-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Note: Philly fans are the rudest fans in the country (with the exception of myself). They were chanting E-A-G-L-E-S during Sixers home games this season.