PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Scary Stuff

duncan228
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Mike Monroe: Scary stuff (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/mike_monroe_sca.html)

The Spurs didn't have an on-court practice Thursday morning, but they may have preferred a two-hour scrimmage to what Coach Gregg Popovich made them endure: A film session that forced them to re-live the mistakes and sloppiness that led to their loss to the Suns in the regular season opener on Wednesday night.

"It was a horror film, for sure," said forward Matt Bonner. "It would be on AMC tonight, the Fright-A-Thon, (along) with Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street."

Bonner did not suggest which of the Spurs was cast in the role of Freddy Krueger, the hockey mask-wearing villain of 'Nightmare of Elm Street,' but that may have been because his own mistakes on Wednesday made him a candidate.

"We made a lot of mental mistakes, just game plan and strategy stuff," he said. "We want to be perfect, and we want to get there. Tomorrow night is another opportunity to work on that. We can improve on both sides of the ball. The big thing last night was transition defense, getting back and communicating. We’re going to have similar focus on that and just executing our game plan, on both sides of the ball, tomorrow night."

The Spurs play their first road game of the season on Friday night in Portland.

At least they won't have to face Portland's monstrous rookie, Greg Oden. He is out for several weeks with an ankle sprain.

xtremesteven33
10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
good stuff

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
He said Freddy the hockey mask wearing...guess he is not into slashers

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
At least Matt knows. It is good for him to see it. He did good things, he just needs to stay focused and not get down on himself.

tp2021
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
He said Freddy the hockey mask wearing...guess he is not into slashers

With Manu out, we could use some slashers.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
With Manu out, we could use some slashers.

Youuuu, I see what you did there.

tp2021
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Youuuu, I see what you did there.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/smilingpop2.jpg

Solid D
10-30-2008, 01:38 PM
We can improve on both sides of the ball. The big thing last night was transition defense, getting back and communicating. We are going to have similar focus on that and just executing our game plan, on both sides of the ball, tomorrow night."

No wonder Matt is struggling. He thinks he's playing football.

Spurs Brazil
10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Bonner for sure was on the video a lot

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2008, 01:46 PM
No wonder Matt is struggling. He thinks he's playing football.

I think the problem is more in his geometric perspective. As the ball is spherical it really has no sides. It is hollow, so it's possible that he's referring to the inside and outside of the ball, though that would be equally worrying. Almost all the pertinent action in a basketball game occurs outside of the ball. I fear that Matt's lack of development may be due to a mistaken over emphasis on proper ball inflation.

As for the horror casting, I say bring back Will Perdue as Michael Myers.

koriwhat
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
At least they won't have to face Portland's monstrous rookie, Greg Oden. He is out for several weeks with an ankle sprain.

oh no not glassman! please no!

mrspurs
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
At least Matt knows. It is good for him to see it. He did good things, he just needs to stay focused and not get down on himself.

Not gonna happen. Matt is gonna play bad basketball no matter where he goes. Whoever is in charge of bringing in bigs has done a horrible job. Bringing in bigs around here reminds me of the days red and bass ran the show. It didnt work, so lets try another guy next year, and next year, and next year. Rasho is still outplaying the current bigs we have. Elson>Matt. Butler>Matt. I could go on but yall get the point. Matt=waste of time and space. Why pop has this thing for Bigs who can only score from beyond the arc is beyond me.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Not gonna happen. Matt is gonna play bad basketball no matter where he goes. Whoever is in charge of bringing in bigs has done a horrible job. Bringing in bigs around here reminds me of the days red and bass ran the show. It didnt work, so lets try another guy next year, and next year, and next year. Rasho is still outplaying the current bigs we have. Elson>Matt. Butler>Matt. I could go on but yall get the point. Matt=waste of time and space. Why pop has this thing for Bigs who can only score from beyond the arc is beyond me.

You also think Ian is terrible but never answered my question: have you seen Ian play either in the d-league or the nba? Have you seen him live or on tv?

Spur-Addict
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM

:lmao

Bonner for sure was on the video a lot

Oh, yes! Certainly he was freeze framed several times with a bit of slooooowww mooooootttiioooon :lol

sandman
10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Bonner should have kept to the singular first person pronouns in his recap of the video...

VaSpursFan
10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
scary stuff....strarring Matt Bonner as the one who did a lot of scary stuff

benefactor
10-30-2008, 02:33 PM
We made a lot of mental mistakes, just game plan and strategy stuff
Matt should know. He is a walking mental mistake.

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure glad Pop isn't Wade Phillips - otherwise he would've give the team the complete day off, no film session and he would've rationalized to the media how the Spurs won quarters 2 & 3 versus the Suns.

I. Hustle
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM

I would have said Perdue as the Phantom of the opera with that mask he used to wear and Bonner as Frankenstein

leemajors
10-30-2008, 02:48 PM

thanks! midge's photobucket? lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I think the problem is more in his geometric perspective. As the ball is spherical it really has no sides. It is hollow, so it's possible that he's referring to the inside and outside of the ball, though that would be equally worrying. Almost all the pertinent action in a basketball game occurs outside of the ball. I fear that Matt's lack of development may be due to a mistaken over emphasis on proper ball inflation.

:lol Nice!

Manufan909
10-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Deep son, deep.

Samr
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, yes! Certainly he was freeze framed several times with a bit of slooooowww mooooootttiioooon :lol

Also known as "fast" breaks.

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
well im glad they had an intense session. we should have won yesterday.

duncan228
10-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Updated.

Popovich not happy with game film (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_not_happy_with_game_film.html)
By Jeff McDonald

PORTLAND, Ore. — The Spurs kicked off their Halloween trip to Portland on Thursday in appropriate fashion.

Before boarding their charter flight, they watched a horror show. Specifically, they viewed film of their season-opening 103-98 loss to Phoenix, the results of which were more horrifying than anything Freddy Krueger ever cooked up.

“It was a horror film, for sure,” forward Matt Bonner said. “It could be on AMC tonight, the Fright-A-Thon, with ‘Friday the 13th’ and ‘Nightmare on Elm Street.’”

Said guard Ime Udoka: “It was ugly on the court, the way we did certain things.”

Most galling to coach Gregg Popovich were breakdowns in the Spurs’ transition defense, which opened the floor for Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire to run amok in the fourth quarter.

“You hate to lose a game with mental errors, and lack of effort and transition ‘D,’” Popovich said. “The transition ‘D’ and some mental aspects of the game were very poor on our part.”

Renewed enthusiasm: Udoka, a Portland native who started 75 games for the Trail Blazers in 2006-07, is happy to see that his hometown has re-engaged with the Blazers. After several bad years when off-the-court incidents led to widespread alienation between the team and the community, excitement about the Blazers has returned, and a sellout crowd is anticipated at The Rose Garden for tonight’s home opener.

“It’s good to see the fan base back after all those down years,” said Udoka, who grew up cheering for the Blazers teams led by Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter. “It brings me back to what I saw, growing up there. I was there a few years ago, and you just started to see that change, with the guys they brought in and the way we played.

“It’s good to have been part of that change, early on. Obviously, now with the picks they’ve gotten and the young talent, they’ve got a nice little thing going on right now.”

Udoka has secured lots of tickets for family and friends, and still has fond memories of his 2006-07 season with the Blazers, his first full season in the NBA.

“Yeah, it’s nice to go home, especially early in the season; get all that ticket stuff out of the way and see the family,” he said. “Seeing them on their opening night up there will bring back memories of a couple years ago, but we’ve got a job to do up there: Go get this win.”

Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.