PDA

View Full Version : Stern: New guidelines will limit beer sales

ducks
02-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Stern: New guidelines will limit beer sales
February 17, 2005

DENVER (AP) -- The NBA is issuing guidelines to limit the size and number of beers sold at games and have teams announce what kind of fan behavior is considered unacceptable, commissioner David Stern said.

The new leaguewide security regulations take effect next week and are an attempt to prevent another brawl like the one in November at a Detroit Pistons-Indiana Pacers game.

They will cover such topics as the number of security officers teams should employ, as well as their tactics and placement in the arenas, Stern said in Thursday's Denver Post.

ADVERTISEMENT
The league office could penalize teams that do not adhere to the guidelines, and fans who become unruly ``might not see the end of the game,'' Stern told the Post.

``We are not looking to eject fans,'' he said. ``We look at this as an opportunity to remind people that coming to an arena is an opportunity to share an experience of rooting a home team on to victory and booing the opposition, but not doing it in an anti-social way that goes against our civil society.''

Many NBA teams already are meeting the new standards, Stern said.

The policies are to take effect after the All-Star break. The league's All-Star Game is set for Sunday in Denver.

Five Indiana Pacers players and seven fans were charged in the Nov. 19 melee at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich. Players went into the stands after a fan threw a full cup of beer at the Pacers' Ron Artest.

SpursWoman
02-17-2005, 11:26 AM
So what are the new guidelines?

You already can't buy a beer after the end of the 3rd quarter.... :cuss :flipoff

bigzak25
02-17-2005, 11:42 AM
the guideline limiting beer sales if the frickin cost.

shotgunning beers in the car before the game sucks, but it saves major dollars...

and with the seats at the sbc, unless your on an aisle seat, or have a bladder than can hang, the getting up, sitting down during game play can suck.

maxpower
02-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Just another way to shrink the beer cup while keeping the same price. As a matter of fact I wouldn't put it past them to charge more with the excuse that it offsets the additional cost of more security.

p.s. These measures only hit the 99% of the beer drinkers who comport themselves. The 1%(goons)will always find a way around this.

Notorious H.O.P.
02-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I would think we're already one of the teams that would meet the new guidelines (whatever they may be). Our beer size is not outrageous (some venue offer beers in 32+ oz glasses), we already have a limit of two per person and sales stop after the third quarter. What else are they going to do? Stop beer sales at the start of the third? Limit sizes to 16ozs? One beer per person? All of those seem extreme. Some details on the new official policy would help.

SpursWoman
02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
And what about us happy drunks who aren't driving and tend to cheer a lot louder the more we've had? I'll bet there are a lot more of us than the instigators....the people closest to the benches for the most part look like stuffed-shirts and not having much fun, anyway.

That sounds counter-productive to me. :drunk :spin

That was a joke (kinda) btw. :nerd

GrandeDavid
02-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Now I really want to get those low life bastard idiots in Detroit who blew it for us beer lovers at games!

Sec24Row7
02-17-2005, 12:42 PM
lol Beer sales stop after the third quarter limit 2?

heh, what seats you sitting in?

Last call is like midway through the 4th.

SpursWoman
02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Now that I think about it ... it did used to be midway through the 4th at the beginning of the season, but in the last few home games before the Rodeo came to town they cut it off at the end of the 3rd.

So maybe they have already implimented some of these changes..... :fro

GrandeDavid
02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
The beer is ridiculously overpriced at sporting events anyway. I never consume more than two, anway.

Sec24Row7
02-17-2005, 03:09 PM
No change at all before the rodeo as far as I know... they still bring it to my seat all the way into the 4th.

SLOVENIAN 8
02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Come to Slovenia on Basketball game or other sport show and you can get as many beer you want!! :smokin Or come to Slovenia in March when in Planica is ski jumping (beer drinking festival :lol ). And after the end of festival you will fly with helicopter to hospital :lol
http://www.slofotke.com/planica1/mini-DSC02004.jpg
http://www.slofotke.com/planica/DSC04942.jpg

T Park
02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
If you want to drink and watch a game.

Wouldnt it just be cheaper to just freakin go to a sports bar.

maybe this will eliminate the freakin idiots that are always up and down up and down getting beers, pissin beers and all that horse shit.

SLOVENIAN 8
02-17-2005, 04:49 PM

maybe this will eliminate the freakin idiots that are always up and down up and down getting beers, pissin beers and all that horse shit.

That is tru, when i go on any game i never drink Beer!!! I go watch the game not to drink beer.

Sec24Row7
02-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I am actually usually drinking Scotch or one of those big ass foot and a half tall 3 layered Margaritas.

sbsquared
02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
I go to the game (although rarely) just to watch the game. We hardly ever get anything to eat or drink because of the prices. We don't drink beer so if they did away with beer sales altogether it wouldn't bother me. What bothers me are the people that are constantly up and down, going to the concession stands or the bathroom or just standing up to get the attention of the vendor. I hate it when they block my sight and I miss an exciting play - just sit down and stay in your seat already!

Why don't they enforce the rule that says no going in or out while the ball is in play?

SpursWoman
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Yeah, 'cause going to a sports bar is just like being there. :shootme

As for the other things...that's why I got aisle seats. :)

T Park
02-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, 'cause going to a sports bar is just like being there

Alright, you go to the game, novel idea, watch the fuckin game.

Get a beer at halftime, or betwen quarters.

But fuck this me getting up in the middle of the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters missing the game, in front of me too, because of some numbnuts is a fuckin drunk.

Want to be there, watch the game.

So save that BS Sw for someone else.

Wanna watch a game and drink, go to a damn bar.

Want to watch a game?? By all means, come and celebrate.

T Park
02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
that's why I got aisle seats

Only problem is, most people that do that up and down horseshit, they have the middle seats, and have the knack of getting up right when the game is getting good and the Spurs have the ball.

Drives me nucking futs.

sbsquared
02-17-2005, 05:24 PM
NBA Issues Revised Arena Guidelines
LAST UPDATE: 2/17/2005 3:29:03 PM

New York, NY (Sports Network) - The National Basketball Association issued a revised set of Arena Guidelines to all teams on Thursday. The guidelines, effective for all NBA contests starting with the February 20 All-Star Game, consist of policies dealing with security, alcohol sales and fan behavior....

The new guidelines prevent alcohol sales after the start of the fourth quarter, restrict the size of drinks to 24 ounces and limit customers to two drinks per purchase. There will also be training of arena personnel in effective alcohol management and the maintenance of designated driver programs in each NBA arena.
==========

From what others have said - it sounds like the SBC center is already abiding by these guidelines - I guess that means no changes here - Good news for all you fans who like your beer while watching our beloved Spurs!

SpursWoman
02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Only problem is, most people that do that up and down horseshit, they have the middle seats, and have the knack of getting up right when the game is getting good and the Spurs have the ball.

Drives me nucking futs.

Oh, I know what you mean....and if you ever happen to see someone (in the middle of a play) go flying off the balcony directly across from you...just because we have row 1 seats, doesn't mean User did it. :nerd

Shelly
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I am actually usually drinking Scotch or one of those big ass foot and a half tall 3 layered Margaritas.

During the finals against NJ, because of the narrow aisle, I spilled at least $3.00 worth of my margarita on the kid in front of me. This was before I had even taken a sip :oops

T Park
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
lol.

He gets pissed at those peeps too huh.

The other one that pisses me off, are people that dont know where there seats are.

Goddamn people, THATS WHAT THE FAT OLD LADYS IN BLACK VESTS ARE FOR!!!!!!!

T Park
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah SBS,

what I read there, thats pretty standard practice right now though.

So I dont know what the big deal is.

Its bad enough right now.

Shelly
02-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Why don't they enforce the rule that says no going in or out while the ball is in play?

They did when the center first opened up, but they don't seem to enforce that anymore?

SequSpur
02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
america is not a free country

GoSpurs21
02-18-2005, 02:29 AM

You already can't buy a beer after the end of the 3rd quarter.... :cuss :flipoffYou can buy beer and mixed drinks at Headliners bar (main floor near smoking area) all the way through the game and even after the game.

For T Park...keep going to your AA meetings and stop trying to take my drinking rights away...you communist....this is America

fonzy16
02-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Here in Slovenia you can drink as many beers and alcohol you want at a basketball or hockey game, but you cant bring a drink in to the stands, sits. You can drink in bars in the arena, but then you cannot watch the game, since you rae not allowed to your sit with a beer in your hand. It's the same with non alcohol drinks. It's simmilar everywhere else in Europe, but in Sweden, Finnland you cannot even bring alcohol in the building or buy it as well. you have to smuglle it in - you fill your 2L cocalola bottle with a beer (dark!) at home and you have it your bag, they check it and let you go in.
And when you are in, the party begins. hehe it works, trust me!

wildbill2u
02-18-2005, 02:22 PM

You already can't buy a beer after the end of the 3rd quarter.... :cuss :flipoff

How are they gonna enforce this? Have you dip a finger in indelible ink every time you buy a beer? :rolleyes

T Park
02-18-2005, 02:28 PM
For T Park...keep going to your AA meetings and stop trying to take my drinking rights away

I dont drink what so ever.

I aint takin your drinking rights away.

I go to the goddamn games to watch the game, thats what we are there for, not to fuckin drink.

You want to drink, go to a damn bar or sit at home.

That simple.

And Sequ, you dont like it?? Oh well, your not going to the games anyways what do you care.

GoSpurs21
02-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I dont drink what so ever.
good for you boyscott. I am not trying to get you to drink. Unlike you, trying to force your lifestyle on others (like a communist).
I aint takin your drinking rights away.

I go to the goddamn games to watch the game, thats what we are there for, not to fuckin drink.

You want to drink, go to a damn bar or sit at home.
Once again you are TELLING me what to do (just like a FUCKing communist).

Just where the fuck is it written that I can't do both? Just because you cannot walk and chew gum doesn't mean others can do two things at once. As for going to the games, the teams don't make money without alcohol sales dumbass.

rascal
02-18-2005, 10:30 PM
T Park : People getting up are the inconveniences that go along with watching the game live with 20 000 other people.

And how are the new rules going to prevent someone from getting drunk if thats what they want to do? Only two drinks per purchase? But how many purchases are allowed? That doesn't stop anyone from drinking more than two and it will cause more people to get up to make the two limit purchase.

And cutting it off at the start of the 4'th quarter? They will just drink more during the first 3 quarters knowing they will be cut off. Looks like the NBA is just trying to do something for public image.

SpursWoman
02-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Well, gotdamn....if you're looking to not be disturbed around 20,000 people, then watch it at home! :lol

TNT21
02-18-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm just gonna start bringing vodka to the games. I can probably buy an orange juice for about 1/674 ths of what a beer costs. Someone do the math!!

GoSpurs21
02-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm just gonna start bringing vodka to the games. I can probably buy an orange juice for about 1/674 ths of what a beer costs. Someone do the math!!Here, here...those are my thoughts exactly, smuggling in the alcohol, BRILLANT. I see people smuggle in alcohol into the UT games all time. But don't be too sure about the price of orange juice. Although it's not as high as beer isn't not cheap and I'm not sure the SBC sells it by itself.

Spurswoman, I really like your reasoning. If T PArk can't deal with adults enjoying adult beverages (I guess he's not an adult yet), he should stay at home. I mean this is SA goshdarnit, and SA knows how to party. Isn't this the same city that throws a huge party every spring (FESTA).

waly.mg
02-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow, now the Fans must to drink 3 or 4 Beers before enter to the Arenas

3 or 4 plus 2 Beers in the Stadium may be good

Clandestino
02-19-2005, 10:52 AM
During the finals against NJ, because of the narrow aisle, I spilled at least $3.00 worth of my margarita on the kid in front of me. This was before I had even taken a sip :oops

haha! my cousing spilled his whole beer on the back of some guy in front of him... my cousin offered him some napkins to clean up, but the guy just got all pissed and left... when he left, i laughed hysterically... then the guys friends starting getting all mad...i said, "hey, he is not here, i can't help to laugh. 6 bux and it all went to waste".... they kept telling me not to laugh and bs like that.. anyway, the guy is walking back up the stairs and i couldn't help it and had to laugh again, part because i was remembering how the guy was acting like a little bitch even though my cousin was aplologizing profusely and part bc his buddies were whining bc i was laughin.. then we almost got into a fight! haha... my cousin is huge, so when he stood up, they sat down... whew!

wildbill2u
02-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Some enforcement questions:
1. How are they going to know who's had two beers? Dip their fingers in indelible ink? I know which finger I'll dip first.

2. Wonder how this will go down with all those rich fat cats who spend thousands to be members of the private clubs in these arenas--or are they exempt because they really aren't attending the event when in those sacrosanct precincts?