PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling my shot, 2009 will spell B-A-D-A-S-S-E-D-N-E-S-S for the Spurs

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2008, 05:04 PM
After the Hack-A-Shaq that Pop pulled five seconds into the season opener, I already had the feeling that the Spurs season is going to end very well. I'm feeling a 5th title based on Pop's badassedness alone.

I've pictured Pop ending the season just like he started it, laughing his ass off and giving the thumbs up sign to some dumb, confused, opposing bastard out on the floor as the final 5 ticks roll off the clock and the balloons and streamers start falling from the ceiling. Lock that image in your mind because you'll be seeing it again soon. Unlike prior seasons where Pop has deferred to his players and slinked off into oblivion during the post championship game interviews, this year Pop will have his cap on backwards, and, shirtless, he'll bust into every interview spraying champagne into the interviewer's face shouting "Spurs Rule!!!"...again giving the thumbs up to the camera. It's going to be freaking awesome!!

And that beard is totally cool, I'll be SO disappointed if that 'beast of badness' ever gets shaven. I'm personally going to abandon the razor myself soon in honor of his greatness. It screams "I'm a badass, and I don't give a crap what you think about me....I've given up shaving, and showering, and caring. I've got 4 rings, and I really don't care about winning for myself anymore...now I'm just winning to keep rings away from anyone else... Amen, halleluhah, pass the gravy....!!" Where Phil Jackson looks like KFC's Colonel Sanders when he has his beard, Pop looks like someone who might bomb a KFC should they forget to include the spork for his mashed potatoes at the drive-thru.

I'd like to see Pop pull some prank on every team we play this year. I'm totally awaiting the old "bucket full of confetti" trick that I'm certain he'll throw on Phil Jackson when the Spurs play LA, except for Phil, this new and improved Pop will likely dump a huge bucket of "badassedness" on him instead. Opposing teams will start to worry more about what Pop is going to pull next rather than stay focused on the game. 81 wins in the regular season is still a realistic possiblity at this point.

On a semi-serious note, from watching last night's game I concluded that if Fabricio Oberto played, I believe we win that game. I never saw Bonner or KT hit Tim with any sort of pass when TD was open, and their rotations and man defense, and pick and roll defense in the second half was downright awful. Oberto would have seen Timmy on a couple of those gimmes he was open for, and Oberto likely would have been able to sneak free underneath for a couple of easy drop-ins from Timmy late. Amare and Shaq beat us themselves in the 4th quarter...we had the rest of their team held pretty much in check. Oberto can't really defend those guys either, but at least he would have made a couple of heady plays to counteract their onslaught late in the game. KT and Bonner just looked like beaten dogs out there. And when I can point to Oberto being the difference between us beating or losing to the Suns, without even considering Manu's absence, I think it indicates we did ok, even in a loss.

Last night was my first chance to see Matt Bonner play this year. My only real take from last night is that Bonner appears to have no clutchness in him whatsoever. I think what makes Bonner so different from Robert Horry is that Horry can almost always make a single play that changes the complexion of a game. He could play 10 minutes, shoot 0-4, pull down 1 board, have two turnovers, but he'd make some big play, or get in an opposing player's head, in a way that would never show up on a stat sheet would mean more towards winning than Bonners 8 pts and 7 boards did last night. Danny Ferry did that for us at the end of his career to a lesser degree as well. But I'm not sure Bonner has any of that in him, at least not that I've seen.

I'm excited to see what Hill and Mahinmi bring. I think Pop may use Mason more than Fin once Manu is back, and I'll attribute that not to Pop's maturity as a coach, but to his incredible badassedness, and that of his beard as well.

Terry Porter was one of my favorite players, and he's a smart coach. He played to our weakness last night and it worked. But I'm going to venture a bet that this Spurs team is going to have a different complexion in the middle by the end of the season. I believe that Pop is such a badass now that he'll figure out how to even trade Bonner. He'll probably just scare the crap out of some poor opposing GM and force a trade at some point if things aren't working out. I'm willing to bet two or three KFC's on it.

And I like the youth movement, a lot. I like Mr. Mason, a lot. I'm excited to see Hill and Mahinmi get some minutes. I think this team has that nice mix of veterans and youth that served them so well during the previous four titles.

I usually wait until March to get excited about my Spurs, but I've got a good feeling this year right from the start. Thank you in advance Coach Pop. Thanks for your badassedness. You're the reason God made Oklahoma, errr San Antonio, and you give me hope for a great year!! Amen.

honestfool84
10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
+1

im sick of this 'sequspur' crap, and it seems everyone will follow his lead for each loss this year.

whatever.
the spurs are going to be badassness; i say we make BADASSNESS shirts.

hater
10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Pop:
http://z.about.com/d/chemistry/1/0/y/h/madscientist.jpg

koriwhat
10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
finally some fans who know how to support their team instead of the usual "shit on them spurs" fans out there.

regardless of the outcome of this season i will always believe. remember the 90's(i'm only 27 btw so yeah)? damn those were hard times and still i believed we had a shot every yr.

duncan228
10-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Go Chopper Go!!!

The Prophet of SPAM has spoken early and spoken well.
I'm with you.

Bring it.

I. Hustle
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I am 28 (almost 29) and I have been going to Spurs games since the Hemisphere arena. I will always be a fan even in the years where we only get 20 wins.

xtremesteven33
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM
This should be an awesome season this year....Pop kicked it off with laughs like only he could. Maybe this is the year we break out from our boring shell into shear "badassness".

Lets have fun this year guys:toast

tp2021
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Get ready, League. Pop ain't takin' yo' shit, biatches.

Check the avatar.

Manufan909
10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Too late, Ed, I've alreadt put down the razor, ever since Pop's beard save him from a grizzly bear. I am not shaving til he does. I just hope he does before Christmas, otherwise I'll lokk like a hobo, or more than I already do, anyways.

Mr. Body
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I miss Robert Horry.

tp2021
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Waah

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Women and children beter stay at home !

It's time for a battle!

The bearded general is there and he will lead us. Under his command are badasses from top to bottom. So get ready to rumble !

Slomo
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM

And that beard is totally cool, I'll be SO disappointed if that 'beast of badness' ever gets shaven. I'm personally going to abandon the razor myself soon in honor of his greatness. It screams "I'm a badass, and I don't give a crap what you think about me....I've given up shaving, and showering, and caring. I've got 4 rings, and I really don't care about winning for myself anymore...now I'm just winning to keep rings away from anyone else... Amen, halleluhah, pass the gravy....!!" Where Phil Jackson looks like KFC's Colonel Sanders when he has his beard, Pop looks like someone who might bomb a KFC should they forget to include the spork for his mashed potatoes at the drive-thru.

Possibly the best paragraph ever written in English. Shakespeare is :bang because he didn't write it. Oscar Wilde would regret it also, if he wasn't too busy laughing his ass off!

:lol

johnnyblues
10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Lock that image in your mind because you'll be seeing it again soon. Unlike prior seasons where Pop has deferred to his players and slinked off into oblivion during the post championship game interviews, this year Pop will have his cap on backwards, and, shirtless, he'll bust into every interview spraying champagne into the interviewer's face shouting "Spurs Rule!!!"...again giving the thumbs up to the camera. It's going to be freaking awesome!!

Oh yeah. :D

tp2021
10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
No spurs fan could be called bandwaggoner or ¨not a fan¨for feelling like this team is one of the worst of the last decade.
I will still root for the Spurs even if they lose 50 games this season, but as a spurs fan I have the right to at least desagree with the actual team roster.

What kind of "Professor" doesn't know how to spell his own title?

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
GREAT read!

SequSpur
10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Dude, you should admit your self for crack rehab. It ain't happening.

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Manufan909
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM

He's just your opposite, dumbass. If he needs rehab, then so do you.

tlongII
10-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Excellent post.

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
And I like the youth movement, a lot. I like Mr. Mason, a lot. I'm excited to see Hill and Mahinmi get some minutes. I think this team has that nice mix of veterans and youth that served them so well during the previous four titles.

I like the youth movement too. Just want to see more of it. I sick of seeing of Finley's one-trick pony act. Need more Mason. I don't want to see any more of Vaughn either. Wanna see Hill. If we're relying on Oberto as a difference-maker, that spells trouble. He's a backup big on most other teams. Gotta have some Ian. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table. I just hope that if these kids play well, Pop will exude a bit of patience and let them play - especially during the dog days of the regular season. Besides, if Pop plans on managing minutes of his Big Three, he's going to have to integrate these guys.

#2!
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Need more Mason. I don't want to see any more of Vaughn either. Wanna see Hill.

I think Mason might start once Manu gets back, and Hill will slowly get more and more minutes once he's healthy.

Have patience and you'll get what you want.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM

He's right you know, Sequ.

I'm tall, attractive, personable, maintain a positive attitude, and I prefer green beans to corn.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2008, 11:19 PM

I'm tall, attractive, personable, maintain a positive attitude, and I prefer green beans to corn.

I forgot to mention humble.

xellos88330
10-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice read EHJ!!! Glad to see that there is someone more enthusiastic than most and isn't afraid to post about it. KUDOS MATE!!!

Solid D
10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
I've pictured Pop ending the season just like he started it,
.....out on the floor as the final 5 ticks roll off the clock and the balloons and streamers start falling from the ceiling. Lock that image in your mind because you'll be seeing it again soon. Unlike prior seasons where Pop has deferred to his players and slinked off into oblivion during the post championship game interviews, this year Pop will have his cap on backwards, and, shirtless, he'll bust into every interview spraying champagne into the interviewer's face shouting "Spurs Rule!!!"...again giving the thumbs up to the camera. It's going to be freaking awesome!!

And that beard is totally cool, I'll be SO disappointed if that 'beast of badness' ever gets shaven. I'm personally going to abandon the razor myself soon in honor of his greatness.

Epicness! Your Chopperness. Lock it up and save it for laters you haters.

SequSpur
10-31-2008, 12:28 AM

dude, you have time to write a book on an internet forum.

that means you're gay, a hermit, or dumb.

green beans suck

SequSpur
10-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Welcome to Spurstalk!

anakha
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
green beans suck

Oh no, you didn't...

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Chopper thread = teh epic winz. Long live Bizarro Pop!

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 01:05 AM
chopper > sequ

Manufan909
10-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Fuck, I actually have something in common with Sequ... I prefer corn over green beans as well, OH NOES!!!

Manufan909
10-31-2008, 01:40 AM
I like the youth movement too. Just want to see more of it. I sick of seeing of Finley's one-trick pony act. Need more Mason. I don't want to see any more of Vaughn either. Wanna see Hill. If we're relying on Oberto as a difference-maker, that spells trouble. He's a backup big on most other teams. Gotta have some Ian. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table. I just hope that if these kids play well, Pop will exude a bit of patience and let them play - especially during the dog days of the regular season. Besides, if Pop plans on managing minutes of his Big Three, he's going to have to integrate these guys.

Damn son, calm down. Ian and Hill have legitimate reasons for not being played, you'll have to wait at least a month to really see what they can bring.

Fortunately Mason looked fabulous(yeah I said it), him being a decade youngerthan Fin, as well as WAYYYYYYYYYY better on defense means he should avg 30 mins a game, even when Manu gets back. This year I want to see Pop mancrush's on players that aren't in decline. Speaking of which, please give Farmer some burn. I mean, it's the fucking Blazers.

I want to see Finley and Vaughn being the 14th and 15th players by Christmas. Hill better prove himself though.

benefactor
10-31-2008, 05:34 AM
EHC...great post. We need an edge...a swagger if you will. They key to these things lies within the beard.

I reflected your exact same thoughts on Oberto on another forum. I have no doubt in my mind that we win that game if he is in there. He is a defensive liability, but his good passing and all around court awareness on the offensive end probably would have gotten us the few extra buckets that we needed to push us over the top.

I expect Hill to be seeing game minutes just a soon as his thumb is ready. He should make an immediate difference with his defense, which should relegate Vaughn to garbage time. I am not as sure about Ian, but we will see.

ginobilized
10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Awesome,positive, enthusiastic and creative post......perhaps this could serve as the impetus for a Coen Brothers screenplay.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
dude, you have time to write a book on an internet forum.

that means you're gay, a hermit, or dumb.

:lol

Says the man with almost 18,000 posts on said internet forum. I'm not sure if that's an accusation or a confession.

SpursWoman
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Chopper honey ... it's you that's B-A-D-A-S-S! :makeout :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
chopper > sequ

Thanks, OV. You know, there used to be this person who posted in here named "Pseudofan", I believe it was, who used to say the exact same thing.

And thanks everyone else. The Spurs will truly display their collective badassedness this season, just wait and see.

MoSpur
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Excellent post Chopper

Mad Bonner
10-31-2008, 01:37 PM
It's just starting! Wait until I get this train rollin' muthafukkas. Jump on the Red Rockets back nickas!

angel_luv
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
:lmao :lmao @ Chopper's first post.

Classic. Well done, sir! :)

angel_luv
10-31-2008, 01:41 PM

It's time for a battle!

The bearded general is there and he will lead us. Under his command are badasses from top to bottom. So get ready to rumble !

Wrong!
Girls can bring the badness too.

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Bring it on!

:gpower

:makemyday

lefty
10-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree with initial poster.

Spurs are gonna play well without worrying too much, then destroy everyone in the playoffs

When I saw bearded Pop reacting well to Shaq's comments, I felt something special was happening

Indazone
12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
It's just starting! Wait until I get this train rollin' muthafukkas. Jump on the Red Rockets back nickas!

Waiting for the trainwreck :tu