PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen's defense..

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2008, 05:56 PM
is still elite IMO..but no longer the best..so I hope Pop isn't gonna have him guard guys like Nash, Paul and quicker guards this year, but instead leave him on the swingman, like we did with Peja last year..Bowen completely shut him down..

I would have loved seeing him cover Grant Hill last night, who had a big game against us..I have no doubt that Bruce could have shut him down..

obviously there are going to be cases where Bowen is just going to get torched, like if he's playing against a guy like Kobe..but I just hope we don't see him covering PG's or really quick SG's anymore, like we've been accustomed to in the past..

do you guys think Pop will continue having him guard guys like Nash, Paul and Williams like we've seen in the past, or will he give him more big SG and SF assignments?..

Parker will have to step up defensively vs. some of these guards..Hill can be a very good defender this year, so he can be key vs. these PG's as well..

xtremesteven33
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Good thoughts. Im sure in special situations (If Hill proves himself), pop will have Parker and Hill on the floor at the same times for Hill to guard some of the elite PG's.

I can see Hill giving CP3 problems. Hill has ridiculously long arms and is really strong for his age. Hopefully he can turn out to be a "secret weapon" for us.

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
very true, bowens D is still very good but hes not gonna shut anyone down. im really hoping udoka works out..

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
All the more reason that Pop should've invested in another swing player, who could not only hold his own offensively, yet could also lock people up on the defensive end.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 07:27 PM
All the more reason that Pop should've invested in another swing player, who could not only hold his own offensively, yet could also lock people up on the defensive end.

*Coughhairstoncough*

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
*Coughhairstoncough*

Cough..you read my freakin' mind...(cough, choke)

Again. Any rook that has the skills, effort and balls to block a shot by Tayshaun Prince, is a guy I want on my squad.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Cough..you read my freakin' mind...(cough, choke)

Again. Any rook that has the skills, effort and balls to block a shot by Tayshaun Prince, is a guy I want on my squad.

I know we're putting way too much on that one play, but I remember thinking, "well kid, Tay's about to school you" and then Hairston just went up with him and met the ball. :lol

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
for what its worth it looks like scola cant guard dirk either lol

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
i think malik will end up with us anyway.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
for what its worth it looks like scola cant guard dirk either lol

When he's aggressive going to the hoop, who can? The league had better be afraid of Dirk when he's like this.

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I know we're putting way too much on that one play, but I remember thinking, "well kid, Tay's about to school you" and then Hairston just went up with him and met the ball. :lol

I know, but I just can't help but long for some additional athleticism on this roster.

hater
10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
so you expect Bowen to go all out in the 1st game of the season? gimme a break.

Bowen is still top 3 perimeter defender in the league. Plus his experience in playoffs = invaluable. Yes he will be guarding opponent's top player.

10-30-2008, 09:00 PM
bowen should be guarding wing players, not point guards. point guards are naturally faster than wing players so putting a slower/older bowen on them just doesn't make much sense anymore. parker has good tools to be a good defensive player and hill can obviously keep up with his opponent. shutting down the opposing team's best wing player even if they have a good point guard will be better than putting finley or parker on them.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2008, 09:03 PM
so you expect Bowen to go all out in the 1st game of the season? gimme a break.

Bowen is still top 3 perimeter defender in the league. Plus his experience in playoffs = invaluable. Yes he will be guarding opponent's top player.

I agree that he's still one of the best defenders in the NBA..he's also one of my favorite players and one of the hardest works in the NBA..but he CAN'T be guarding elite PG's, he doesn't have the quickness anymore..there aren't SF's that can guard PG's in the first place, so a guy in his late 30's shouldn't be getting these assignments, no matter how great he has been defensively..

hater
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree that he's still one of the best defenders in the NBA..he's also one of my favorite players and one of the hardest works in the NBA..but he CAN'T be guarding elite PG's, he doesn't have the quickness anymore..there aren't SF's that can guard PG's in the first place, so a guy in his late 30's shouldn't be getting these assignments, no matter how great he has been defensively..

so which Spur do you think should guard them, who can do a better job?

#2!
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I think bowen can definitely continue to handle the elite players on the other team, and until hill proves that pop's praise of his defense is for real in for real games he'll have to(I believe he will). Once that happens bruce can go to guarding the best swing man rather than best non-center on the floor.

On a side note, (and don't crucify me with numbers, this is just a thought) I think we should go after Shane Battier during the 2010 free agent free for all(or even in a trade before then if possible). Ime brings great toughness to our team but just isn't an elite defender, and Battier is, thus a great replacement for Bruce. His salary is high, but not absurdly high, and he also shoots 3's at 39% clip for his career. I think he'll be unhappy with Artest taking so many of his minutes and ready to get the hell outta clutch city.

Slippy
10-30-2008, 09:45 PM
obviously there are going to be cases where Bowen is just going to get torched, like if he's playing against a guy like Kobe..but I just hope we don't see him covering PG's or really quick SG's anymore, like we've been accustomed to in the past..

Agree.. As much as i appreciate Bowen's D, im glad i wasn't the only one to notice the speed and reaction time Bowen lacked when gaurding Nash. He did look to be always a step behind and as a result wasn't able to apply the same on-ball pressure im used to seeing on Nash. When defending the p'n'r b he didn't fight as hard to get around screens or stay as close to Nash as possible. Maybe he's carrying an injury ?. It did cross my my mind also - as some-one else suggested.. that he trying to pace himself better this season leading up to the play-offs?

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Bowen wasn't terribly effective against Nash in the playoffs; frankly I'm surprised the coaching staff didn't remember that. I'd rather have Parker or Vaughn on him. It'll be nice when Hill comes back healthy.

anakha
10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Bowen wasn't terribly effective against Nash in the playoffs; frankly I'm surprised the coaching staff didn't remember that. I'd rather have Parker or Vaughn on him. It'll be nice when Hill comes back healthy.

Putting Parker on Nash when Barbosa isn't on the floor, sure.

If both Nash and Barbosa are playing? I seem to remember that Parker was pretty effective in keeping Barbosa from going off in the past two postseason series these two teams had.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Putting Parker on Nash when Barbosa isn't on the floor, sure.

If both Nash and Barbosa are playing? I seem to remember that Parker was pretty effective in keeping Barbosa from going off in the past two postseason series these two teams had.

You have a point. Barbosa scored 9 points in the fourth quarter last night. Everyone rags on Bonner for Amare getting 11, but Mason gets a pass.

Slippy
10-31-2008, 08:13 AM
You have a point. Barbosa scored 9 points in the fourth quarter last night. Everyone rags on Bonner for Amare getting 11, but Mason gets a pass.

Maybe because it was Mayson's first game and he actually played well.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Maybe because it was Mayson's first game and he actually played well.

Just not on defense, and not in the 4th quarter.

timvp
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
While admittedly I've never been a fan of putting Bowen on point guards, doing so in the regular season makes even less sense. In the playoffs, it can work because Bowen wears the point guard down over the duration of a series being physical and hounding continually. It's a big reason why Nash usually plays worse as the series against the Spurs go on and why DWill eventually faded in that 2007 Jazz series. During the regular season, that wearing down advantage never manifests itself so it really isn't too advantageous.

The only scenario I like Bowen on point guards is if they are going off scoring the ball. Then Bowen can switch off and he can usually turn them into passers. But a whole game of Bowen defending point guards? Me no likey. This is becoming more true as Bowen ages and keeping him fresh is a key and Parker becomes a better and better defender.

Regarding RMJ, I thought he looked the part of a player capable of becoming a good defender in the Spurs system. He showed good quickness, alertness and he has done a decent job of picking up the concepts. His D needs a lot of work but he's farther along right out of training camp than almost every other perimeter defender we've seen in the Pop era outside of Bowen. It was almost comical watching players like Finley and Barry try to defend right out of the gates.

Slippy
10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Just not on defense, and not in the 4th quarter.

One guy has played 1 game for the spurs, while the other has played 2 seasons and looked lost on rotations. It's not hard to work out why Mason gets a pass.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree.

I would like to see Udoka get a 45/55 split of the SF minutes with Bowen, so that Bowen can be fresh enough to hound PGs if necessary in the playoffs. He gave Nash fits last postseason with his physicality. You can't burn Bowen out by having him run after smaller, fleeter players all season, though. That's our playoff audible.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
One guy has played 1 game for the spurs, while the other has played 2 seasons and looked lost on rotations. It's not hard to work out why Mason gets a pass.

One guy has played one game for the Spurs and got torched in the fourth quarter, while the other played rather solid defense and was saddled with 100 percent of the blame for the loss, despite the fact that his cover scored more points on Duncan and Thomas.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
It was almost comical watching players like Finley and Barry try to defend right out of the gates.
To Mason's credit, he's as good a defender as Finley right now. The difference is that Roger's mistakes weren't due to lack of effort.

DROB4EVER
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Bowens D is average at best now. He needs to take a seat, he cannot stay with elite players and with Thomas on the floor the 3 spot needs to be filled with a scorer like fin on Mason.

I think this season will hinge on if we are able to aquire a good defensive big or if Ian turns out to be that. The spurs have always predicated their D on funneling ball handlers into shot blockers. Over the last couple years we have seen our blocks pr game decline and opp fg % go up dramatically.

If we want to win we need to scrap the 2010 plan and get help now. NJ is looking for a 3rd pg and is shopping Williams. He would be a great pick up, the salaries match/. But seeing as that is unlikely I would say go get watkins back, he moves well and can block shots which is what we need. D wins rings and ours looks very iffy right now.

xtremesteven33
10-31-2008, 01:40 PM
If we want to win we need to scrap the 2010 plan and get help now. NJ is looking for a 3rd pg and is shopping Williams. He would be a great pick up, the salaries match/. But seeing as that is unlikely I would say go get watkins back, he moves well and can block shots which is what we need. D wins rings and ours looks very iffy right now.

Williams is with the Mavericks now

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Williams as in Sean Williams? he's still a project..very athletic(VERRRYYY athletic) but he does nothing outside of that..he's actually really bad at every other aspect..I'd rather try Ian out..

DPG21920
10-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Williams is with the Mavericks now

He meant Sean Williams from the Nets, not Shawne Williams that got traded from the Pacers to the Mavs.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Bruce Bowen, as I have said for years, is permissible on a talent-laden team where all 4 other players on the floor can score.

His defense these days does not justify his offensive ineptitude.

Remember that 2-on-1 break he blew with Parker, because Bowen couldn't drive and it up?

Disgusting.

DROB4EVER
10-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Williams as in Sean Williams? he's still a project..very athletic(VERRRYYY athletic) but he does nothing outside of that..he's actually really bad at every other aspect..I'd rather try Ian out..

Willaims is raw, but is a great shot blocker. Given starter mins he could average 3 bpg easy! We need a tuff shot blocker to go with Duncan, and Ian will need to be in the rotation as well.

But Thomas and Bowen are done as players.......Bowen cant gaurd anyone and cant score, is a piss poor rebounder. Thomas looks like he has buck shot in his pockets.

Teams will be able to pick and roll us to death at this rate!

DROB4EVER
10-31-2008, 10:21 PM

Bruce Bowen, as I have said for years, is permissible on a talent-laden team where all 4 other players on the floor can score.

His defense these days does not justify his offensive ineptitude.

Remember that 2-on-1 break he blew with Parker, because Bowen couldn't drive and it up?

Disgusting.

Right on man!

picnroll
10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Bowen is playing piss poor so far.

SequSpur
10-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Bowen is done.

picnroll
11-01-2008, 12:21 AM
0-1, 0 points, 2 rebounds in 21 minutes and he didn't stop anybody on D. So far in two games Bowen looks like a 37 year old. Spurs can't afford that production, or lack of production. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of options. Go past the big three and 4-15 Spurs may have the least talent of any team in the league.

leemajors
11-01-2008, 12:22 AM
he is a bit exposed with manu out offensively. his bad games should be taken with a bit of salt, anyway. he's held to a very high standard.

SequSpur
11-01-2008, 12:22 AM
0-1, 0 points, 2 rebounds in 21 minutes and he didn't stop anybody on D. So far in two games Bowen looks like a 37 year old. Spurs can't afford that production, or lack of production. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of options. Go past the big three and 4-15 Spurs may have the least talent of any team in the league.

stop being an attention whore. l m a o

DROB4EVER
11-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Just cut Bowen now! 0 pts 2 rb...thats it in 41 mins! Oh and the guys he is defending are scoring 24+........Dump him! Let him go do yoga videos!!

DMX7
11-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Bowen is making more money that Roger Mason, that's kind of a hard pill to swallow for those who think Tim and Tony don't have enough help.

Spurs Brazil
11-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Bruce looked like a normal player on defense on the first two games. He wasn't bad but he also wasn't Bruce. He's offense game is bad so we can only have him on the court if he's playing great D and that not happed so far

Slippy
11-01-2008, 01:19 AM
No quick point guards tonight. Going against Roy, Bowen looked a step slow.

SenorSpur
11-01-2008, 01:25 AM
No quick point guards tonight. Going against Roy, Bowen looked a step slow.

Bowen WAS a step slow in this game, as well as the opener versus the Suns. At times, I think Pop overvalues Bowen at this late stage of his career by putting him Nash. Then Pop benches him in the 2nd half of the 4th quarter.

It's really hard to justify having him on the court, because, like Finley, if he's not contributing his area of speciality, he becomes a hinderance.

Bowen looks like the usual physical freak that we become accustomed to seeing, but he's 37 freaking years old. His were going to decline at some point. Now could be that time. Remember it happened rather suddenly to Robert Horry last year.