PDA

View Full Version : Two minor earthquakes shake Dallas-Fort Worth area

Taco
10-31-2008, 08:09 AM
08:01 AM CDT on Friday, October 31, 2008
By ARLINDA ARRIGA / The Dallas Morning News

Two minor earthquakes shook the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but no significant damage was reported Friday.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a 2.5-magnitude earthquake centered in the Grand Prairie area was reported at 11:25 p.m
Thursday. A slightly stronger 3.0-magnitude quake centered in the Irving area occurred 36 minutes later.

Law enforcement agencies across northern Texas say they received some 911 calls from people who felt the quakes.

Irving police spokesman David Tull said his agency received about 25 calls around midnight from people inquiring about the vibrations, which set off car and building alarms. There were no reports of damage.

Grand Prairie and Fort Worth officials also reported no damage. "We just learned about it on the news this morning,” said Dawn Atkins, a Grand Prairie emergency dispatcher.

USGS geophysicist Randy Baldwin said the quakes, which lasted only a few seconds, most likely felt "like a lightly loaded truck passing by, kind of a sharp jerk and then a rapid vibration."

Reports of the quake also came from Dallas, Euless and Hurst and Fort Worth, he said. Aftershocks could last several days. There is also a possibility of more smaller quakes in the coming days that no one would likely feel.

Texas occasionally has earthquakes.

An April 7 earthquake in southern Texas had a 3.7 magnitude.

A minor earthquake was felt by some people in Amarillo on March 30, 2002. The Amarillo area also recorded seven minor earthquakes in 2000.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/103108dnmetearthquake.167675aa4.html

fatsack
10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
i blame this on george bush and 8 years of a failed administration.

Taco
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
i blame this on george bush and 8 years of a failed administration.

:lol

DizzG.
10-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I had a dream last night I was in an earth quake. Since i had a dream about another earth quake and didn't post it I had no proof after the fact. So I wake up around 1:20 to come in here to post it ,so if there is an earth quake people can say wow your dream was real, and i see this topic. Thanks for ruining my 15 minutes of fame,.............

mexicanjunior
10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
I live in North Dallas and didn't feel the quakes (thats what she said...).

Biernutz
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Repent Dallas heathens. The earthquake is the first. Your basketball team will never win a NBA title. Your football team will not make the playoffs. All your kids will want to play soccer.

jack sommerset
10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
soccer is cool. go burn!

mexicanjunior
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Your football team will not make the playoffs.

It hurts because it is true... :depressed