PDA

View Full Version : Mason

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I like this kid.

Mason can handle the rock adequately as a PG and has an aggressive scoring style as a smaller off-guard.

I like his tenacity on defense.

I recall Mason making an impact with the Wizards when all their guards were getting hurt last year.

He's tough and appears to be made of Spurs stuff.

With Manu out, this is a terrific chance for Mason to cut his teeth in the regular rotation.

Kudos to the front office for a Popportunistic signing.

Buddy Holly
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Mason should start and Farmer should play more than Finley off the bench.

timvp
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Once Manu is back, I already love the idea of putting Mason into the starting lineup at shooting guard and keeping Manu in his sixth man role. Put Finley into Barry's role from last season and the team could round out quite nicely.

Like I said all offseason, this season depends on two things for the Spurs to truly be championship contenders -- health and Mason turning into a dependable 11-12 point per game scorer.

Buddy Holly
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Actually replace should with needs to.

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I like the kid too. Believe he's going to be a valuable contributor. Having said that, I watched the Hornets versus Suns on last night. Every time I see James Posey, I can't help but think the FO should have targeted him as their # 2 FA option after Maggette. This is absolutey nothing against Mason. It's just that Posey really looks like the new Robert Horry.

Buddy Holly
Once Manu is back, I already love the idea of putting Mason into the starting lineup at shooting guard and keeping Manu in his sixth man role. Put Finley into Barry's role from last season and the team could round out quite nicely.

Like I said all offseason, this season depends on two things for the Spurs to truly be championship contenders -- health and Mason turning into a dependable 11-12 point per game scorer.

I think if given the minutes Farmer could take the Barry role and then maybe a trade before the deadline sending Finley and Bonner somewhere. :hat

timvp
Mason should start and Farmer should play more than Finley off the bench.If Pop is going to give up on Finley, I'd actually like Farmer in the starting lineup and Mason remaining off the bench until Manu returns. You put Mason into the starting lineup and the bench becomes perhaps the worst in the NBA.

But Pop isn't going to give up on Finley so this is a moot point . . .

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 09:01 AM
If Pop is going to give up on Finley, I'd actually like Farmer in the starting lineup and Mason remaining off the bench until Manu returns. You put Mason into the starting lineup and the bench becomes perhaps the worst in the NBA.

But Pop isn't going to give up on Finley so this is a moot point . . .

....besides I would guess that Finley has little to no trade value at this point in his advanced career.

timvp
10-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I like the kid too. Believe he's going to be a valuable contributor. Having said that, I watched the Hornets versus Suns on last night. Every time I see James Posey, I can't help but think the FO should have targeted him as their # 2 FA option after Maggette. This is absolutey nothing against Mason. It's just that Posey really looks like the new Robert Horry.

The time to get Posey was the summer of 2007. He was an awesome buy low after a so-so season with the Heat and an offseason DUI. He was my number one FA option that summer, with Udoka being number two.

Udoka has a chance to be a pretty good but Posey would have been so damn perfect. This summer, Posey's contract demands made him not really a realistic option.

MoSpur
10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
I actually thought Finley did a decent job on opening game. He shot the ball pretty good from what I remember. I could be wrong though.

timvp
10-31-2008, 09:04 AM
I actually thought Finley did a decent job on opening game. He shot the ball pretty good from what I remember. I could be wrong though.Finley now only hits shots when the Spurs run that little baseline curl play for him. Pop noted that point last year in the playoffs and it remained true in game one of this season. Take out Finley's called plays and his wide open threes and he's now like a 20% shooter.

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
The time to get Posey was the summer of 2007. He was an awesome buy low after a so-so season with the Heat and an offseason DUI. He was my number one FA option that summer, with Udoka being number two.

Udoka has a chance to be a pretty good but Posey would have been so damn perfect. This summer, Posey's contract demands made him not really a realistic option.

Forgot about the fact that he was available then. In fact, that's how Boston landed him. I was pleased with the Udoka signing and his overall potential. He lacks athleticism and his "on-the-ball" defense has been a bit underwhelming, but there's no questioning his rebounding and toughness. I'm looking for bigger things out of him in this is second season in a Spurs uniform.

On another note, Artest was absolutely scintillating last night for the Rockets, too.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Finley is best suited as the 3-point bomber with the first unit. We can't run the offense through him with the 2nd unit, as he can't create his own shot anymore.

While Posey's play is nothing like Robert Horry, he is a tremendously versatile swingman who can defend and hit 3s. He was a key contributer to the Celtics title run as a great bargain last season as timvp alluded to.

The Spurs need to mitigate risks more. Take a chance on a reclamation project; not just old players that no one else wants.

Mason starts only if Manu returns as 6th man. Balance the speed and tenacity with the 1st and 2nd units.

whottt
10-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Put Finley into Barry's role from last season and the team could round out quite nicely.

The problem is that Finley sucks exponentially worse in that role than he does as a starter. You have to start Finley to get anything out of him, and what you will get out of him isn't worth starting.

I'd like to see Finley take on the Steve Smith role from 2003 :tu I think that will help the team "round out quite nicely" comparitively...

xtremesteven33
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Im not worried about the spurs backcourt this year. We have the best 1-2 backcourt in the west, bar none.

Its the 5 spot that worries me the most. WE NEED A 7 FOOT SHOTBLOCKER!!!

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Im not worried about the spurs backcourt this year. We have the best 1-2 backcourt in the west, bar none.

Its the 5 spot that worries me the most. WE NEED A 7 FOOT SHOTBLOCKER!!!

Amen brother! Amen!

:toast

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Finley now only hits shots when the Spurs run that little baseline curl play for him. Pop noted that point last year in the playoffs and it remained true in game one of this season. Take out Finley's called plays and his wide open threes and he's now like a 20% shooter.

I'd say even worse than 20%..this was the same problem last year..if Finley even takes ONE dribble, he's going to miss his shot 90% of the time..he seems to only score off the curl(like you said), screens and wide open plays..

the problem I have with Finley is that he's completely useless at every other aspect of the game..not useless as in he's average, but useless as in he's a liability when he's passing the ball, rebounding or defending..

the problem with Finley playing the Barry role is that he can't..they're similar shooting wise and defensively(with Barry's injuries)..but Barry is EASILY a better passer and he even still has penetration ability at his age..

I'd hope to see Farmer take Finley's role at some point..the difference being, while Farmer is also 1-D, he's much younger, so it makes a huge difference with how active he is..Farmer also has much more to prove, so I'd expect more of an effort out of him..

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
The problem is that Finley sucks exponentially worse in that role than he does as a starter. You have to start Finley to get anything out of him, and what you will get out of him isn't worth starting.

I'd like to see Finley take on the Steve Smith role from 2003 :tu I think that will help the team "round out quite nicely" comparitively...

The mere fact we're having discussions as to how the Spurs get around Finley and his liabilities is just illogical to me. Most of us know and acknowledge his warts - everyone except Pop, that is. Shooting is his supposedly his one and only forte - and he's even inconsistent with that.

Finley's presence on this team is a good example as to how the Spurs, in some ways, have stayed the same while many of the top teams in the conference have gotten better. I don't like players that hinder more than they contribute. It's clear to me that Finley's declining skills, inconsistent shooting and very poor defense are all hinderances to this team - and have been the past 2 seasons.

boutons_
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Michael has always been nothing but a scorer, but he rarely scores enough now to have any impact, to offset his weaknesses.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
he has always been a scorer, but he's too old at this point to even be active in other parts of the game..there's no way Finley's hands were as bad as they are now..I always wonder how a guy that used to be a 20 point scorer can have such terrible hands..his defense was never great, but he was obviously more active at a younger age..Finley used to also be a very athletic player, he used to have his little hop-step facial dunks all the time..

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I wish there was a way that we could've kept Barry and dumped Finley.

timvp argued last year with me when I said that the Spurs had too many redundant players.

Finley/Barry
Bowen/Udoka
Oberto/Thomas
Horry/Bonner

It's true, though. We got rid of two of them... but kept the weaker versions in Finley and Bonner!