PDA

View Full Version : Set Me Straight

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Why are we seeing guys that have plateaued or will never be good getting so many minutes instead of Mahimini, Farmer and Hill?

Are these younger players hurt?

I mean, with Manu out, it seems like this is the perfect time to see what we have.

leemajors
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
ian is out till mid november.

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Mahinmi and Hill both have injuries. Tolliver (also a rookie) is away on bereavement. Farmer is basically the 12th man for the moment (it seems). And there's Pop trust in his grizzled vets, particularly in big moments.

Given that the Spurs were basically even with the Suns all night during the opener, I could see that Pop might have been reluctant to give significant time to guys who haven't played in a while or who haven't played at this level and were surprises to win roster spots. We'll see how he uses them as the next couple of weeks progress.

urunobili
10-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Hill is still hurt

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks, guys.

I hope Pop rolls the dice when they are full strength!

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks, guys.

I hope Pop rolls the dice when they are full strength!

I think initially, it will depend on situations and seeing those guys show both that they're healthy and that they can actually contribute. For all of the talk of Pop's risk aversion, I think there's plenty of reason to believe that Pop will take chances with guys in spots. He did it last year, briefly, with Jeremy Richardson (even giving Richardson a start in Charlotte). He's done it with Stephen Jackson and Charles Smith and Ira Newble and a few others through the years. I would think he'll take those calculated chances this season as well.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I would be surprised if Pop didn't take chances..

his coaching was very loose in the 1st game, which showed me that he's gonna be taking risks and chances early in the season..trusting Mason at clutch time was a great sign..I don't see any reason that Hill and Tolliver won't get any minutes, because Pop and the coaching staff has been hyping them up, just like with Mason..

for me, I'm hoping Ian gets to play, at least to show us what he has..the guy can be a huge asset this year if he's playing with fire and determination..we are gonna have a problem with Bonner off the bench, and KT or Oberto starting..

Farmer needs to take Finley's minutes, and IMO, he will..I know Pop loves Finley, but he's gonna realize at some point, that Finley is a liability..

mrspurs
10-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Bottom line is we looked bad enough with the guys we had on the court. Putting in the other fellers woulda made things worse. We at least still had a chance to win the game. None of the youngers we got are gonna help when most of the bigs were already MIA. Dont expect to see much from those younger guys on our squad. Pop wont let them in because no matter who we play, we are simply over matched.

koopa
10-31-2008, 12:49 PM
and with how deep the west is now, every win counts so unlike the past were we could afford a loss here and there to experiment more with different players we can't do that now cause we need the players that give us the best chance to win.........it just sad it's bonner that has to be out there since we have no depth at the forward spot........

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Why are we seeing guys that have plateaued or will never be good getting so many minutes instead of Mahimini, Farmer and Hill?

I mean, with Manu out, it seems like this is the perfect time to see what we have.

From all that I've read and from what has been discussed, I believe we're really going to like Hill a lot.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Bottom line is we looked bad enough with the guys we had on the court. Putting in the other fellers woulda made things worse.
I disagree.

I'd rather lose while giving young contributors more experience than watch mature veterans simply suck... and still lose.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Good question. GW must of just gotten off that deserted desert isle.

Welcome back!!!

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
I disagree.

I'd rather lose while giving young contributors more experience than watch mature veterans simply suck... and still lose.

Now that, we both agree on.

Mad Bonner
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Jessica Alba nude in your bed promising to fukk your brains out couldn't set you straight you pillow biting rump ranger!

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Pop knows what he has with the veterans. It's time to keep the window open a crack with some fresh legs.

Spurs Brazil
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
I think Hill will be the the backup PG soon

And I hope Pop give Ian a chance in december. Let's see if he can play or not

SequSpur
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Pop isn't going to develop shit.

timvp
10-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Hill will be given plenty of chances to win the backup point guard job once he's healthy. Mahinmi will probably be given a short, although the Spurs may opt to just let he develop in Austin for another year.

Farmer will probably get some time if the Spurs struggle to score the ball in the upcoming games while Manu is out. He'll have to take advantage of any time he is given to try to win more time. He won't be given any welfare minutes.

Ghost Writer
11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
These kids can't get healthy soon enough.

These Spurs are painful to watch.

mfanatic
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Did you guys notice the nice little 8-0 run we went on when Hill and Farmar were in the game? DO NOT PLAY ANYONE OVER 33 POP, play the youngsters with Duncan and Parker.

Solid D
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I think it's time to tank the season and go for...um....Hansbrough.

Ghost Writer
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I think it's time to tank the season and go for...um....Hansbrough.

I was just about to start a thread about tanking.

Seriously.

Solid D
11-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Seriously.

:lol

Admiral
11-04-2008, 11:13 PM
He wasn't kidding! :lol

SequSpur
11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Pop isn't going to develop shit.