PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's Demeanor this Season

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I know it was only one game, but Duncan seems different.

As his career is in it's own "fourth quarter", you can tell that Duncan is savoring the moment and it shows in his body language and what he is saying off the court.

He said he appreciates the game more now than ever.

And he acknowledged that the scoring burden starts with him.

Against the Suns, I noticed Duncan calling out and physically grabbing Bonner, clapping to himself over 2 key made free throws, pumping his fist after a made shot, and I have never seen him more vocal in the timeout huddles.

Of course, Duncan is never going to be a rah-rah guy or flamboyant like other "superstars," but it is interesting to see his approach this year.

Duncan knows he has to carry the load more now than ever.

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I've never bought into the notion that one has to be a rah-rah guy to be a great leader; I've always thought that Tim's quiet, supportive, self-demeaning, team-first approach made him a better leader than a screamer like Garnett. I still think that's true, even though Garnett has the gold ball -- Tim has regularly made his teammates better and won; I'm not sure you could say that with KG.

But I would agree that I like the fact that Timmy's showing more and more emotion and is giving his team leadership in that area, too. I think that for several years now, the regular seasons for the Spurs have been more of an burden than a joy for the Spurs -- and particularly for Tim -- and it might not be a bad thing to have some fire about playing those games, too, and reclaiming the joy of the game.

SenorSpur
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Duncan certainly understands what's at stake - especially with Manu being out. That's not to say that he didn't understand before. As an older player and team leader, he appears that he's being more demonstrative and assertive.

Did anyone else notice a sequence where Duncan was running down court and ended up all alone under the basket? Bonner, with the ball in his hands, either didn't see Duncan who was flailing his hands and calling for the ball, or ignored him.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
that was one of the worst moments of the game, Senor..I have no idea how Bonner can miss an open 7 footer, that happens to be one of the 10 best player of all-time, wide open under the net..

Duncan definitely looks a lot more aggressive..I don't think it's strictly because Manu is out..Pop said that he wanted Duncan to get more aggressive, and he said he thinks Duncan is too passive at times, because he wants to get his teammates involved all the time..IMO the scoring droughts were a factor in this..Tim realizes he's the best, and that the ball needs to be in his hands when we need a basket..I love how aggressive he's starting out..

Obstructed View pointed it out in the pre-season and I made a thread about it..Duncan looks quicker and athletic..he ran the fast break with the ball in his hands in the 1st game, which I actually haven't seen in a while..his jumper looks better, he's moving better..I hope Timmy can keep this up..

xtremesteven33
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
If Tim keeps it up he can make a top 3 contender at MVP....

23 PPG 12 RPG 3 APG 2 BPG

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah... one thing we can count on is Duncan's intensity always is higher the season after a crippling collapse in the playoffs.

With Manu out and Duncan's "good years" dwindling, I expect Tim to put up stellar numbers this year.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Duncan's defense was bad, and he went into the post once after Shaq came in at the end of the game and scored only two points on free throws during that stretch.

Thomas82
11-01-2008, 02:52 AM
If Tim keeps it up he can make a top 3 contender at MVP....

23 PPG 12 RPG 3 APG 2 BPG

I would LOVE to see Tim get his 3rd MVP and 4th Finals MVP this year.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2008, 02:59 AM
i think this is the season duncan is putting everything on the table all in, for mvp, finals mvp, dpoy

Thomas82
11-01-2008, 03:25 AM
i think this is the season duncan is putting everything on the table all in, for mvp, finals mvp, dpoy

Based on the first 2 games, he's definately playing like it.

TDfan2007
11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Duncan's defense was bad, and he went into the post once after Shaq came in at the end of the game and scored only two points on free throws during that stretch.

Hard to score when the team's not looking for you. Tony got hot so that's who we went with to close the game.

ducks
11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
tp did say this is the last year with the core

so maybe he wants badly to win one more with the core

Manufan909
11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
tp did say this is the last year with the core

so maybe he wants badly to win one more with the core

Bringing up that statement, if so many players are locked in for next year, how will the core change? Does Pop know some hitmen who owe him favors?

Obstructed_View
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Hard to score when the team's not looking for you. Tony got hot so that's who we went with to close the game.

Too bad Timmy can't call for the ball, and just has to accept pick and roll for the last five minutes of the game.

boutons_
11-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Tim's been very aggressive on offense, but much less so on defense, esp help defense.

bresilhac
11-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Tim's play in these first two games has been nothing short of spectacular. He knows he'll have to carry the load offensively while Gino is out along with Tony but he's up to the task that is for sure. And thankfully Gino will only be out until mid December. After that I see the Spurs going on a major tear.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-02-2008, 08:53 PM
1:48 ... Dude is a leader.

9VEvx1_6Vw8&feature=related

lefty
11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
They will give another MVP award to Tim before he retires anyway, to cement his legacy

baseline bum
11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Damn, I'm going to miss this guy in 5 years. It seems like it was just yesterday that DRob left.

Ice009
11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Tim's been very aggressive on offense, but much less so on defense, esp help defense.

Well since we have no bigs wouldn't you guys think that Tim is dialing down the aggressiveness on the defensive end a little bit so he doesn't get in foul trouble?

Thomas82
11-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Well since we have no bigs wouldn't you guys think that Tim is dialing down the aggressiveness on the defensive end a little bit so he doesn't get in foul trouble?

That makes sense.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 04:26 AM

He ended the Phoenix game with three fouls. They don't carry over to the next game.