PDA

View Full Version : Blazers sign Webster to 4 yr extension

tlongII
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3675835

Only a handful of players selected in the NBA's 2005 draft will have received a contract extension before Friday's midnight deadline, but you can add Portland Trail Blazers swingman Martell Webster to that list.

Webster's agent, Bob Myers, told ESPN.com that the 21-year-old has signed a four-year extension with the Blazers believed to be worth $20 million, very similar to the deal Jason Maxiell received Thursday from the Detroit Pistons.

The fourth season of Webster's new contract, which will kick in next season, is at the Blazers' option.

Webster was projected to start for the Blazers this season but is expected to miss two months recovering from recent foot surgery. He joins Andrew Bynum of the Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit's Maxiell as the only members of the 2005 draft class to receive contract extensions this month, although NBA front-office sources have indicated deals for Indiana's Danny Granger and Denver's Linas Kleiza are expected before the midnight deadline.

New Orleans' Chris Paul and Utah's Deron Williams received maximum contract extensions during the summer. Milwaukee center Andrew Bogut scored a five-year deal worth a guaranteed $60 million.

If new deals materialize for Granger and Kleiza as expected, New York's David Lee would rank as the most high-profile member of the class of 2005 not to receive an extension.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Great news! :smokin

Allanon
10-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I like Travis Outlaw more than Martell Webster although Webster is probably more consistent.

2005 was a very good draft year.

tlongII
10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I like Travis Outlaw more than Martell Webster although Webster is probably more consistent.

2005 was a very good draft year.

I like both Travis and Martell, but I like Martell a little more. He's a better 3pt shooter and he's only 21 so i think he has more upside.