PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Murphy fired from The Zone 1250

S_A_Longhorn
10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/

Female sports talk host bites dust

Dawn Murphy

And then there was none.

San Antonio radio just lost its sole local female bonafide talk show co-host.

Sports aficionado Dawn Murphy, who added a refreshing woman's point of view on KZDC-AM (ESPN 1250 "The Zone") said she was fired Tuesday because of "budget cuts." Though she wore many hats, Dawn was known best to listeners as the third host on the Chris Duel-Jason Minnix evening show.

It's true there have been several cuts and consolidations recently at BMP radio — the company that owns KTSA, KZDC and others here — but as far as I know, Murphy was the only on-air voice to be cut.

Co-host Duel gave Murphy her start on local talk radio several years ago. She was initially hired at KTSA as a call screener for the old Duel show but moved up quickly to the job of producer.

Reached Wednesday, Duel said her ouster saddens him — particularly in these tough economic times — adding it certainly wasn't performance-related. "Dawn was great," he said, explaining she was hard-working and a respected participant on the evening sports show.

Murphy, who was an executive producer at KZDC and handled the afternoon sports updates as well as doing the 5-8 p.m. talk show, said she was surprised when she was called in Tuesday afternoon and given her walking papers.

"The ironic thing is that they were pushing me to be even more of a presence on the show," Murphy, a mother of two, said. "They've even included me in the new billboards for ESPN."

It's true: From what I understand, the billboards which started going up in September, read: "Duel, Minnix and Murphy."

Dawn, an auto racing junkie, also hosted a NASCAR show on the local ESPN station Saturday morning called "Track Smack." I'm sure the racing enthusiasts will be steamed by the loss of that show as well. (Murphy had built up an impressive following in the relatively brief time the show was on the air.)

Looking at the bigger picture of local radio — the shocking dearth of a female perspective on opinion shows here — Murphy's ax further points to the "boy's club" nature of S.A. talk radio these days.

Yes, you'll hear women occasionally share their opinions on air: Liz Ruiz on Trey Ware's morning KTSA show and Charity McCurdy on San Antonio's First News with Charlie Parker" are two. However, they're really newswomen, not talk hosts.

Yet, I'm constantly hearing from listeners who say they'd love to see more women on local talk radio. So, bosses out there, when, for cripes' sake, will this situation change?

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/jakle06/20081029murphy150.jpg

Best of luck, Dawn.

Thanx for letting us know THIS news, Chris Duel. You're always quick to post the good stuff, but ignore this???

Is this the price for the Bang-man?? Keep Dawn, dump Howard.

SpursWoman
10-31-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108186

Salad Tosser
10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Where is that over giddy, sugared up Chris Duel at?

mouse
10-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I think there is more to the story. Maybe Dawn said one dildo joke to many. maybe one of the bigwigs wife or an important stock holder didn't like Dawn.

But to just get rid of her with no warning and to use some cheesy line like "cut backs?'

If you going to do some cutbacks you don't do it by putting someone on a billboard just to fire them.

Chris Duel said after he was let go by WOAI he will always be open about what goes on in radio and he let the callers call in to ask questions about why he left WOAI and about the man he replaced at KTSA.

I figured that same Chris Duel would be the first one to report what happened to Dawn. Not some poster who happened to find out on his own. Now I know I took a chance and said something to make Chris Duel post another "How could you mouse?"

"After all I do for you" posts. but I call it like i see, it and i am not about to kiss anyone's ass when it comes to my views on a topic. That's what make me the mouse I don't sell out to anyone..........................

Dawn will be back on the radio in no time, if she is smart she will get an agent use her time with ESPN to pad her resume and get a national gig or a radio show outside San Antonio. (that's right they have radio outside this city)

If you have the talent you will always find a means to cash in on it. And Dawn is a go get em! type of person I doubt she will just stay home and watch soaps.

Good Luck Dawn! call some of your NASCAR buds and get on a pit crew!! :tu

Or go to the Ticket, God knows they could use the help!

Smackie Chan
11-01-2008, 01:40 AM
It was just a few days ago I was in my car and i heard her do a sports update and she did it perfect. Even Walter Pasacrita, Don Harris,David Chancellor, and Jim Rome have a spot during each sports update where they have a hiccup or they mispronounce a word or a name or they stutter etc....It's very rare for even TV personalities like Bill O'Rely and Dan Rather to talk without something happening they did not want.

Ask Chris Duel it's not easy to do something right the first time without having to do a retake. Even high paid actors like Steven Seagal have to redo a line in a movie, and he is as talented as they get.

well I was in my car (the only time I listen to AM radio) and i heard dawn do some sports update and it was flawless and i remember saying to myself.....Dam Dawn is getting ,she will always have a job on radio, and look how things turned out in less than 7 days....hang in there dawn if Walter Pasacreta can find work so can you!

try FM! or a country station! :tu

TheSuckUp
11-01-2008, 02:32 AM
It was just a few days ago I was in my car and i heard her do a sports update and she did it perfect. Even Walter Pasacrita, Don Harris,David Chancellor, and Jim Rome have a spot during each sports update where they have a hiccup or they mispronounce a word or a name or they stutter etc....It's very rare for even TV personalities like Bill O'Rely and Dan Rather to talk without something happening they did not want.

Ask Chris Duel it's not easy to do something right the first time without having to do a retake. Even high paid actors like Steven Seagal have to redo a line in a movie, and he is as talented as they get.

well I was in my car (the only time I listen to AM radio) and i heard dawn do some sports update and it was flawless and i remember saying to myself.....Dam Dawn is getting ,she will always have a job on radio, and look how things turned out in less than 7 days....hang in there dawn if Walter Pasacreta can find work so can you!

try FM! or a country station! :tu

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Cartman
11-01-2008, 02:50 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Then change your screen name to just suck! :lmao

BacktoBasics
11-01-2008, 10:03 AM
she looks kinda porky. I'd probaby hit it though.

mouse
11-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Well I did pay the price of speaking my mind I guess.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/11-1-20083-49-01PM.jpg

DizzG.
11-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Makes you wonder if Chris Duel is really behind Dawn's leaving. why would he be such a dick about it? And why would a grown man with a job at ESPN send such an email?

Why?
11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Why would someone post a private e-mail in a public forum and then bitch when someone else does it in the troll forum?

mouse
11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Chris Duel always talks about freedom of speech and he loves criticisms and he hates when people don't say what is on there minds etc....

Then when they do, they get nasty emails? In a way i was excited I never get emails from Chris Duel, to bad the only two I have on floppy say "FUCK YOU" as the subject matter.

In truth I am a lot better than Chris Duel and I would never stoop that low and send such a hateful email. Not even to Saddam or Hitler, or Tpark.

A true friend wouldn't let something like this ruin a friendship unless it was never there to begin with?

mouse
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Why would someone post a private e-mail in a public forum and then bitch when someone else does it in the troll forum?

Ask Sarah Palin.

Maybe others like DizzG will post the Fuck You emails they also got from Chris Duel :smokin

Tree hugger
11-01-2008, 04:44 PM
That email has to be fake, the Chris Duel I know is a loving one! :)

Biernutz
11-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Well I did pay the price of speaking my mind I guess.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/11-1-20083-49-01PM.jpg

Mouse I think your main priority is to answer the e-mails from Eric Cronin. Also don't miss that sweet MasterCard invite.

ROFL
11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
:lmao

Bigzax
11-01-2008, 07:27 PM
i'm sure cd is upset over dawn being canned, but you got him pretty riled up their rodent.

while yes, it may be true, that you are a two-faced, lying, backstabbing pathetic piece of shit asshole that can go fuck himself, (i can say this cuz i've seen you at the TFLBSPOSATCGFH meetings)...i simply don't see why duel felt the need to email you about it just for asking why he's been MIA on this topic which is of far more importance than any stupid ratings war topic...:wakeup

but hell hath no fury like a lover scorned...

he loved you mouse...he loved you...you were his golden god...and now....he's lost dawn...and you...all in the same week...:depressed

oh well...here come Jay Howard!

10 bux to the first one at the zone to give him the ol trigger finger and say bang...

Lance
11-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Where is Kori and her generic reply "oh Chris and mouse are just having fun"

Like she does when Chris has a meltdown with Peter Burns. CD gets a pass?

He can talk about Peters ex wife is a slut and and so on but mouse can't mention CD is MIA? WTF kind of man is Chris Duel who calls someone a golden God one day, and a fuck head the next? Makes you wonder how he really feels about all those people he poses with in those pictures. I wonder how he really fels about Jason,Kori,Jay Howard, David Chancellor, and his boss at work. :

WTG Chris Duel on exposing yourself as the fraud you really are! :lmao

Opinionater
11-01-2008, 07:56 PM
IMHO, we don't know, at least I don't, what happened behind the scene. Perhaps Chris Duel was also caught by surprise and then told by management not to comment on it....unless of course you are speaking to Jeanie Jackle and maybe the situation is too personal and he'd rather not air his opinion on the air or perhaps management told him to not comment more on the issue? But IMHO, what ever the situation may be I don't believe it warrants such a profanity filled e-mail. But...was it provoked?

ToughActinTinactin
11-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Woman on a sports radio show donot make that much money. She was fired because she is annoying. I just saw a pic of her. Shocking, a fat woman in SA.

That picture doesn't do her justice and the woman knows sports.

Shelly.
11-01-2008, 08:01 PM
IMHO, we don't know, at least I don't, what happened behind the scene. Perhaps Chris Duel was also caught by surprise and then told by management not to comment on it....unless of course you are speaking to Jeanie Jackle and maybe the situation is too personal and he'd rather not air his opinion on the air or perhaps management told him to not comment more on the issue? But IMHO, what ever the situation may be I don't believe it warrants

Way to ride the fence!

such a profanity filled e-mail. But...was it provoked?

If everyone who was called out in a forum reacted that way we would all be dead to all of us.

I don't blame mouse for posting the email,after all if he ends up dead Sunday we have to know where to start looking for suspects.

Opinionater
11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Way to ride the fence!

If everyone who was called out in a forum reacted that way we would all be dead to all of us.

I don't blame mouse for posting the email,after all if he ends up dead Sunday we have to know where to start looking for suspects.

Well, it was just my opinion that we don't know all the facts.

Last Comic Standing
11-01-2008, 08:04 PM
That picture doesn't do her justice

Tell that to ASF who just ran out of sperm for the night!

and the woman knows sports.

Well there went her shot at getting a job with the Ticket!

Lisa Jobs
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, it was just my opinion that we don't know all the facts.

Maybe that was mouse's point to get CD to tell us the facts?

ClintSquint
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/badges2.jpg

johnsmith
11-01-2008, 09:29 PM
This thread has given me new found respect for mouse.

Well played my friend, well played.

PS, Duel, you're a giant pussy.

Evan
11-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Ask Sarah Palin.

Maybe others like DizzG will post the Fuck You emails they also got from Chris Duel :smokin

I deleted mine because I needed space in my pm inbox.

1 of countless mistakes I have made in my life. :bang

EDIT: Actually I do have it but I don't want Kori getting mad at me for posting it. :nope...Doesn't matter to me what he or anyone else says on a freaking internet forum but why PM it? Why not say what you have to say for all to see if you want to get mad at someone? Regardless, good luck to him. Radio is a tough business. Live or die by every book year round.

DizzG.
11-01-2008, 11:10 PM
You think Kori gives a shit what you do with your pms? Do you ask her if you can go out and play also? :lmao

I am not sure whats worst calling someone out for not posting in public or not having a pair to post a nasty PM.

I don't think there is such a PM since you say you have it then you say you don'y i say it's all made up!

T Park.
11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Send me the PM and I will say if its legit or not.

Evan
11-01-2008, 11:18 PM
You think Kori gives a shit what you do with your pms? Do you ask her if you can go out and play also? :lmao

I am not sure whats worst calling someone out for not posting in public or not having a pair to post a nasty PM.

I don't think there is such a PM since you say you have it then you say you don'y i say it's all made up!

Some forums ban for that. :(

pkbpkb81
11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
This thread has given me new found respect for mouse.

Well played my friend, well played.

PS, Duel, you're a giant pussy.

its true cd is a BIG PUSSY, how dose he still have a job fuck i cant stand him.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2008, 03:09 AM
I missed this ... Why did Chris Duel cuss out Mouse via email?

Oh and I'm sure Dawn will be back on the radio soon.

AlamoSpursFan
11-02-2008, 03:34 AM
she looks kinda porky. I'd probaby hit it though.

Most used camper salesmen don't have this much class.

Insomniac
11-02-2008, 03:59 AM
I wonder if Chris Duel loses any sleep over sending that e-mail.

Taco
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I missed this ... Why did Chris Duel cuss out Mouse via email?

Oh and I'm sure Dawn will be back on the radio soon.

I wonder if Chris Duel loses any sleep over sending that e-mail.

what email?

PeterBurns
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
what email?

The post has been edited and deleted from this thread.

Basically Mouse had a screen print image of an email from Duel cussing him out. Mouse posted it here, and internet hijinks ensued.

Truthfully, the email should have never been posted here. So, thankfully it was taken down.

Not to take up for Duel, but I'm sure he's in a tough spot. Obviously, he didn't want to see Dawn go. Sucks to see any changes made, but it's the nature of the business.

He could do a few things. 1) Go on here and say how it sucks, and how it was due to budget cuts which would lead to 2 follow up questions....A) Is the station hurting already and having to cut On-air, Sales Managers...etc...and B) How is it due to budget cuts, if they just added Jay Howard on-air, which I assume he's not doing for free.

So Option 1 is tough

2) Not say anything, get called out for it, and not be able to really defend him.

Option 2 is tough as well.

No-win situation for him, and personally Mouse, I like ya, but posting a private email is a little harsh. But it's a free country.

I'm just not sure what I more puzzled about. The fact that they just put up billboards around town with her name on it, or the fact that we still have 0 billboards here at the Ticket.....:bang

Bigzax
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Truthfully, the email should have never been posted here. So, thankfully it was taken down.

Not to take up for Duel, but I'm sure he's in a tough spot. Obviously, he didn't want to see Dawn go. Sucks to see any changes made, but it's the nature of the business.

He could do a few things. 1) Go on here and say how it sucks, and how it was due to budget cuts which would lead to 2 follow up questions....A) Is the station hurting already and having to cut On-air, Sales Managers...etc...and B) How is it due to budget cuts, if they just added Jay Howard on-air, which I assume he's not doing for free.

So Option 1 is tough

2) Not say anything, get called out for it, and not be able to really defend him.

Option 2 is tough as well.

No-win situation for him, and personally Mouse, I like ya, but posting a private email is a little harsh. But it's a free country.

3rd option,

"Johnny Fingers and I (Chris Duel), are very sad to see Dawn get let go. It's going to be like the 3 amigos...except with only two amigos...

please do not ask me to justify or explain away this loss at our station, because there is no justification from my point of view.

that being said, i can't just walk off the job as a matter of principle...

I GOTS BILLS TOO FOOS!

But in all seriousness, GodBless Dawn Murphy and if you ever need anything...except for a job that is...then don't hesitate to give me a ring love!"

also Mr. burns, i disagree about the not posting a private email stuff in this instance.

it was sent to mouse so it's his option. and when the emailer is telling you to go fuck yourself and that you are dead to them...well...you can kinda do whatever the hell you want with disregard for that persons feelings on the matter...:wakeup

dawn
11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I just got back into town and saw this thread...WOW...

I want to make one thing clear...

Chris has been and will always be one of my BEST FRIENDS. He had NO IDEA that this was gonna happen. In fact, they called him AFTER they called me in and let me go.

Duel and I have been a team for a while now and the thought of possibly working without him there is a bit scary. I was VERY lucky to be able to work daily with someone I TRUST with my life and can depend on.

I just wanted to come in here and let you all know that I know how tough this is on Chris. Not from the job standpoint, but from MY FRIEND standpoint and as a great friend, he and I are in daily contact still.

The entire situation SUCKS... not just for me, but for the others who were let go as well. They had NO CLUE either.

Chris, Jason and Johnny have to go on, that is their job. I don't hold that against them at all.

I really do appreciate the support and kind words from you all, it really does mean a lot and I just hope in the next few days and weeks, that this will get easier to accept and move on and grow from. I also am trying to believe what so many keep telling me, that this was the door opening hopefully to bigger and better opportunities...

Thank you all again

Blake
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I never heard your show Dawn, but good luck. I don't know much about you other than if I recall, you are a big Jeff Gordon fan (just kiddin).
I don't care who you are, getting fired without seeing it comin absolutely sucks and I hope things work out for you.

mouse
11-05-2008, 01:23 AM
I want to make an public apology to Chris Duel for posting his e-Mail.

That was really a line I don't like to cross. I guess I was hurt to read his very intimidating and harsh words he had for me. I wanted people of the www to not think I was a shit starter and a Drama queen that i had legitimate reasons to fear Chris Duel and the money making machine they call radio/Tv.

I took all my frustrations out on him not really asking him his personal opinion on the firing of Dawn, and for that I must apologize to him, and I do it for all to see.

I have known Chris Duel and his family for many years and they are some of the most kind and honest people you will ever meet. They deserve better from me and I hope they along with Chris Duel accept my sincere apology.

Your friend

Mark Allen.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
wuss

S_A_Longhorn
11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Doesn't excuse his very loud abscence from thsese forums

T Park
11-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Doesn't excuse his very loud abscence from thsese forums

When was it a requirement for him to post here?

DizzG.
11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
wuss

Where was your huge balls in this topic?

http://550underground.yuku.com/topic/6128/t/Dawn-has-left-ESPN-Radio.html

DannyT
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM

That was really a line I don't like to cross. I guess I was hurt to read his very intimidating and harsh words he had for me. I wanted people of the www to not think I was a shit starter and a Drama queen that i had legitimate reasons to fear Chris Duel and the money making machine they call radio/Tv.

I took all my frustrations out on him not really asking him his personal opinion on the firing of Dawn, and for that I must apologize to him, and I do it for all to see.

I have known Chris Duel and his family for many years and they are some of the most kind and honest people you will ever meet. They deserve better from me and I hope they along with Chris Duel accept my sincere apology.

Your friend

Mark Allen.

its toooooo late to apologize, itssss toooooo laaaaaaaaaaate!!!!

johnsmith
11-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Your friend

Mark Allen.

:lmao:lmao

Do you know how I know you're gay?

Nbadan
11-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Can't take shit back once it's been posted on the WWW...too bad for Dawn Murphy, Mouse and Duel, but it's the nature of the beast...very few radio personalities stick around for very long..I'm not a fan of neck-car, but there is something very appealing about a chick talking about neck-car...and Duel, hell, he's always been a friend to ST....how many Radio jocks do you know who will admit to visiting here? Not many....not many....

rr2418
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm sure Murphy is a nice person, but all I ever heard from her was alot of giggling and goofing off. If she knows her sports maybe she should go to a place where sportstalk is number 1! Maybe CD and JM were bad for her....just saying!

JoeChalupa
11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Where was your huge balls in this topic?

http://550underground.yuku.com/topic/6128/t/Dawn-has-left-ESPN-Radio.html

I'm not the one calling out Chris Duel and then backing down.

mouse
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not the one calling out Chris Duel and then backing down.

Apologizing for posting a personal email is backing down?

Backing down from what? I posted my opinion and Duel didn't like it, and he reacted. there was never a something to back down from.
But I will do this just for you....

I will froward the email to you, and lets see you post it, and then we can all see how anti wuss you really are Mr. Macho of the www.

JoeChalupa
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Apologizing for posting a personal email is backing down?

Backing down from what? I posted my opinion and Duel didn't like it, and he reacted. there was never a something to back down from.
But I will do this just for you....

I will froward the email to you, and lets see you post it, and then we can all see how anti wuss you really are Mr. Macho of the www.

Huh? Why would I post an email sent to you? I've got no beef with CD.

mouse
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM

wuss

mouse
11-06-2008, 03:21 PM

You don't need to have a beef with Duel, just post the email and show me and everyone else whats it's like to not be a wuss, like you called me.

:wakeup

S_A_Longhorn
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
When was it a requirement for him to post here?

Ever since he is quick to post something positive about The Zone or negative about the Ticket 760. He also claims to be honest & upfront about the radio business.

He never posted anything here publically about Dawn. And just last night, about 6:30 PM, someone called up and asked where Dawn was. Duel just said she is no longer with them, that he spoke to her, and she was deciding where to work next as many wanted her.

Good for Dawn......bad for Duel in my book.

JoeChalupa
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
You don't need to have a beef with Duel, just post the email and show me and everyone else whats it's like to not be a wuss, like you called me.

That makes no sense at all.

mouse
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
That makes no sense at all.

You called me a wuss.

so I challenged you since your such a bad ass to call others a wuss to post his email
what is so hard to understand?

Biernutz
11-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Mark Allen? what alias is this one?:lmao

mouse
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
That was my stage name in the 80s

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/88-1.jpg

JoeChalupa
11-07-2008, 11:13 PM
You called me a wuss.

so I challenged you since your such a bad ass to call others a wuss to post his email
what is so hard to understand?

It wasn't about posting the e-mail, it was about calling him out and then not standing your ground. Wuss so hard to understand about that?

mouse
11-07-2008, 11:20 PM
It wasn't about posting the e-mail, it was about calling him out and then not standing your ground. Wuss so hard to understand about that?

You got me shakin!!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/finpeng-mouth.gif

johnsmith
11-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Mouse and Joe, you have gayed up the thread even more now.

mouse
11-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I know, but Chris's father has passed, and I think it's very tacky to bring anymore negativity in this topic towards him don't you agree?

johnsmith
11-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I know, but Chris's father has passed, and I think it's very tacky to bring anymore negativity in this topic towards him don't you agree?

I'd agree that I wouldn't want to rag on Duel right now, because I'd be pissed if someone was giving me shit if my Dad passed. But I still think you gayed the thread up.

racingnut
11-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Best of luck Dawn, a bad rap for sure.

I bet it’s all about the politics. You have someone that feels threatened by a female that happens to bring something to a show. You could carry your own by yourself, lets see if the same can be said about the threatened one. I bet this person brings in all sorts of guest hosts. Listening to stats is like reading the dictionary front to back...boring.

johnsmith
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Best of luck Dawn, a bad rap for sure.

I bet it’s all about the politics. You have someone that feels threatened by a female that happens to bring something to a show. You could carry your own by yourself, lets see if the same can be said about the threatened one. I bet this person brings in all sorts of guest hosts. Listening to stats is like reading the dictionary front to back...boring.

Sooooo, is black the new blue? I don't get it.