PDA

View Full Version : Should Pop have called a TO at the end?

tlongII
11-01-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm curious what you guys think. The Spurs had a 20 left and didn't use it. I was surprised by that. Finley had a good shot to win the game, but I would think that you would want Parker or Duncan to have the ball.

Trainwreck2100
11-01-2008, 12:58 AM
no, there's no way you get that easy of a shot coming out of a timeout, it just didn't fall

timvp
11-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Wide open five footer for Finley? That's a shot he almost always hits.

Allanon
11-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I agree, Mason had 2 very open shots, either for himself or Finley.

You couldn't have drawn up something better than a semi-open layup or a wide open 10 footer.

honestfool84
11-01-2008, 01:00 AM
yeah.
i agree with timvp and allanon.

the spurs had the perfect play, it just didn't bounce our way.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Plus, I think Pop has always leaned towards the team just going for the attack in situations like that.

I know against the Cavs last year he had Manu go for the last shot (which didn't fall).

It seems like Pop has just gone away from calling timeouts with little time left, unless it's the playoffs. He probably likes the element of surprise it gives to the opposing team who are fully expecting a timeout to be called.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

sa_kid20
11-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Hell yes they should have called timeout! Tim was on the ground under Portland's basket and obvioulsy wasn't gonna be involved in whatever they were trying to do. When your best player is on the ground with 6 seconds left in the game and you have the the ball when your down 1 YOU CALL TIMEOUT!

angelbelow
yea it was a good none timeout imo. im sure finley wishes he could get that shot back.

SenorSpur
Maybe. But I think the biggest mistake was letting Finley take the last shot. He proves again that, at times, he can be good as a frontrunner. But not when you need a clutch bucket. In that situation, we missed Manu. Hell, I'd rather have had Mason take it all the way. Finley's got no cahones - whatsoever.

Trainwreck2100
11-01-2008, 01:03 AM
yeah.
i agree with timvp and allanon.

the spurs had the perfect play, it just didn't bounce our way.

well f%^& you too.

tlongII
11-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Hell yes they should have called timeout! Tim was on the ground under Portland's basket and obvioulsy wasn't gonna be involved in whatever they were trying to do. When your best player is on the ground with 6 seconds left in the game and you have the the ball when your down 1 YOU CALL TIMEOUT!

I agree with this.

Buddy Holly
11-01-2008, 01:11 AM
No they shouldn't. You push the fuck out of the ball so the defense doesn't set up.

That's exactly what Mason did. The shot just didn't drop.

thekingrobert
11-01-2008, 01:11 AM
finley is a clutch shooter just missed tonight maybe it was too close and he needed it to be a 3 instead

Buddy Holly
11-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't get it, do people think shots only go in if you call a time out?

Allanon
11-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I just replayed teh last 6 seconds.

Udoka rebounded at 6 seconds

Mason got past the half court at 4 seconds.

Mason got past Roy at the top of the key with 2.5 seconds left

Mason getting past Roy made it a 2 on 1 for the Spurs.

Finley calling for the ball on the right with Pryzbilla hedged towards Finley.

Finley with a short Jumper
Mason with a left hand layup (I dunno if Mason's any good at left handed layups)

Both shots would have been quite uncontested.

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 01:13 AM
I thought they should have called a timeout and set up a play. With the shooters hitting shots in the flow of the game, Duncan and Parker as dominant as they were and Pryzbilla with five fouls, I'd have called it, no question. At the end of a game down one on the road, I want the ball in Parker's hands, not in Roger Mason's.

That said, the Spurs caught the Blazers off guard by not calling the timeout and got themselves a pretty good shot. You can't argue that they'd have had too much better of an opportunity.

Solid D
11-01-2008, 01:14 AM
No guarantee a timeout produces anything better than a Mike Finley wide-open, short-range jumper. In hind-sight, I almost wish that Mace had taken it all the way to the hole on Joel Przybilla and take his chances on a make or drawing hard contact. Of course, had J. Bayless been in the game, he would have been the x-factor. :smokin

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 01:14 AM
And I guess Mason can't dunk. I'll go back and check, but wasn't Pryzbilla inside the no charge circle?

Allanon
11-01-2008, 01:16 AM
but wasn't Pryzbilla inside the no charge circle?

Nah, he wasn't. He was outside the circle but in no-man's land between Finley and Mason. He would have been in the circle to the right had Mason decided to go for the layup.

It was rather poor defense by Pryz, he committed to neither guy and left both open. He did start moving back to Mason at the same time Mase passed to Finley.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-01-2008, 01:17 AM
My worry is that the refs wouldn't have called any type of foul in that situation. Pryzbilla is a great shot blocker, but even if Mason was to draw contact, I'd have a hard time believing the refs would've made the call for the visiting team in that situation.

Sucks, but it's true.

dav4463
11-01-2008, 01:19 AM
We just lost to the Blazers?????????? Is this a bad dream?

JamStone
11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
It's an either or call. You cannot argue with the shot that they ended up getting, so it wasn't a bad decision not to call a timeout. But, with 5-6 seconds left, and Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, calling a timeout was also a viable option. No right or wrong answer really.

And, for this situation, Pop already knows what to expect from Tim and Tony. It was actually pretty telling to see how Roger Mason reacted once he got the loose ball. He made a great play under pressure for a really good look at a game-winning shot. I'm sure Pop hates that they lost, but likes what he saw how Mason handled the situation, not having to call a timeout.

Trainwreck2100
11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
My worry is that the refs wouldn't have called any type of foul in that situation. Pryzbilla is a great shot blocker, but even if Mason was to draw contact, I'd have a hard time believing the refs would've made the call for the visiting team in that situation.

Sucks, but it's true.

not to mention that would have been Prz's sixth foul.

Blackjack
11-01-2008, 01:22 AM
I was yelling for them to call a timeout when they secured the rebound, (after getting over the shock of them actually securing the rebound:lol) but you can't argue with the shot they got. Finley makes that 8 out of 10 times.

Mason displaying that kind of poise under pressure was definitely encouraging, and something I'm sure that wasn't lost on Pop.

There's definitely alot of positives to take from this game.

toki9
11-01-2008, 01:22 AM

Sucks, but it's true.

Agree...i think it was a choice between a wide open 10-footer from Finley (with him calling for the ball), or go up hard and hope for the best (either a dunk or a call on the road)...i don't think i can argue with either choice...the shot just didn't fall...it happens...but, darn it, that was a fun game to watch...

Slippy
11-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Can't fault that last play. Mason had the ball in transition, blazers had no time to set up on D and FIn ended up with an open look close in.

I reckon if pop could set up play with Fin getting an easy shot like that 5 on 5 . He would go with it.

leemajors
11-01-2008, 01:50 AM
It's an either or call. You cannot argue with the shot that they ended up getting, so it wasn't a bad decision not to call a timeout. But, with 5-6 seconds left, and Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, calling a timeout was also a viable option. No right or wrong answer really.

And, for this situation, Pop already knows what to expect from Tim and Tony. It was actually pretty telling to see how Roger Mason reacted once he got the loose ball. He made a great play under pressure for a really good look at a game-winning shot. I'm sure Pop hates that they lost, but likes what he saw how Mason handled the situation, not having to call a timeout.

i agree. if mason keeps making plays he should start taking finley's minutes.

Biggems
11-01-2008, 01:56 AM
i just wish Mason would have gotten the shot....but it was an open look for Finley, who seemed to rush it, IMO.

2 games, 2 losses, both were quite winnable...all you ask for is a chance to win every game and the Spurs have had the chance. Once they get all their horses back, I have a feeling we will start winning these close games.

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Finley has shown an ability to hit two shots: Three pointers in rhythm and that little curling elbow jumper. If I have to choose which shot I want Fin taking in a crunch time situation, I think I'd prefer he were taking one of those, even though they are further out.

Rapper
11-01-2008, 02:06 AM
a loss is a loss

insignificant topic

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 02:07 AM
a lose is a lose

insignificant topic

Yet here you are posting in it.

T Park
11-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Maybe. But I think the biggest mistake was letting Finley take the last shot. He proves again that, at times, he can be good as a frontrunner. But not when you need a clutch bucket. In that situation, we missed Manu. Hell, I'd rather have had Mason take it all the way. Finley's got no cahones - whatsoever.

Wanna rethink that statement again please?

A certain Laker team from 2007 would disagree.

As would other teams as well, like the New York Knicks as well.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2008, 02:27 AM
if that was prime finley, he wouldve fukn dunked it from 5ft

PM5K
11-01-2008, 03:49 AM
All I know is that at the end of the day, when Mason sees the replay, and realizes Przybilla only averaged 1.2 blocks per game last season, he's got to regret not taking that all the way.

First rule of basketball defense: Stop the ball.

Nobody did that, Mason should have taken that shit all the way to the basket.

Fabbs
11-01-2008, 06:22 AM

Sucks, but it's true.

Given the b.s. calls awarded the Blazers all the way down the stretch, i agree.

Still wish Mason would have shot it. But Grandpa Finley got a very good look.

Lakers_55
11-01-2008, 06:30 AM
It's easy to second guess. Remember last year in game one of playoffs versus Phoenix? No time out was taken by the Spurs at the end of the 2nd overtime and Manu drove for the winner. A time out allows Shaq to get back in the game, and the lane just may be closed for that play. If they take timeout and don't hit, people say "Why not press the ball and take a chance before the defense is set? We beat Phoenix that way!"

Your coach is one of the reasons why your team is successful. Trust in him as long as he is consistent.

anakha
11-01-2008, 07:18 AM
A thread with a lot of reasonable, level-headed responses, after a Spurs loss?

Huh. Don't see too much of those.

raspsa
11-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I was expecting Finley to bank the shot in being so close to the basket...

timvp
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Mason has never been a very good finisher at the rim. He has also drawn an amazingly low amount of fouls so far in his career. Any shot he would have gotten at the rim would have been about the same percentage as the shot Finley got.

The good news regarding Mason is he seems to be getting better in terms of driving to the basket. Those two penetrations he had during the game aren't the type of moves he's so far in his NBA career. Hopefully he's expanding his game to where he's another penetration threat to go along with Parker and Ginobili.

If Mason can master the standstill three, the inbetween jumper off the dribble and taking all the way to the bucket, he's going to be a damn good part of this team.

Manufan909
11-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Mason has never been a very good finisher at the rim. He has also drawn an amazingly low amount of fouls so far in his career. Any shot he would have gotten at the rim would have been about the same percentage as the shot Finley got.

The good news regarding Mason is he seems to be getting better in terms of driving to the basket. Those two penetrations he had during the game aren't the type of moves he's so far in his NBA career. Hopefully he's expanding his game to where he's another penetration threat to go along with Parker and Ginobili.

If Mason can master the standstill three, the inbetween jumper off the dribble and taking all the way to the bucket, he's going to be a damn good part of this team.

That's what I had heard too, but he looked like the shit when he took it to the hole. Waht kind of shot did he miss anyways?

The Truth #6
11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Finley isn't clutch but that doesn't mean the shot he took was bad. It was almost guaranteed better than something we would have got out of a timeout, like a Tony Parker 18 footer off the dribble or a long 3, which is what we usually get in those situations.

Finley had what, an 8 footer? Yeah, I think I can live with that. It would have been a real boost if that had dropped and a nice way to make all the Portland fans miserable.

duncan228
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
We'll take that shot any day of the week. It's a different locker room, it's a different game if we just hit a 7-foot bunny.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Blazers_break_Spurs_spell.html

xtremesteven33
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
:lmao at people here who say Finley isnt clutch. I remember when Finley used to get hot during games with the Mavericks and he was UNSTOPPABLE! He burned the Spurs a couple times as well.

He had those crazy fadeaway jumpers that was very hard to defend. He was the main go to guy with dallas back in the day. It just sucks that he doesnt have that same athletecism anymore.

TILDEN
11-01-2008, 08:37 PM
no could of won game with more rebounds they lost that war 31 to 37 with 5 off reb. to 13

The Truth #6
11-01-2008, 08:38 PM
:lmao at people here who say Finley isnt clutch. I remember when Finley used to get hot during games with the Mavericks and he was UNSTOPPABLE! He burned the Spurs a couple times as well.

He had those crazy fadeaway jumpers that was very hard to defend. He was the main go to guy with dallas back in the day. It just sucks that he doesnt have that same athletecism anymore.

Yeah, I bet he did a lot of other good things when he was with the Mavericks as well. Doesn't mean squat now. He's not the same player he once was, and even you admit that. Maybe he WAS clutch but not really as a Spur. He's hit a few big shots but not enough for me to consider it consistent.