PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, but happy bout last night

Flux451
11-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Man, watching Finely brick was a little stomach turning, but in the end I was happy with the way the team played.

They are still figuring out the chemistry. This is like their preseason still. Mason seems to be finding his groove, hopefully. He will be big. Once Tony and Timmy figure out how to incoporate the new guys, things will be ok.

Tolliver!! come back!!

Finely looked really good offensively. Udoka even had some nice jumpers. Bonner kind of stunk up the momentum in crucial parts.

Anyone else think of Watkins during the stretch?

By the looks of things, both Suns and Blazers should of whooped us.
0-2 never sounded so relieving:ihit

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I think Mason should have just taken the layup he had as opposed to passin the ball to Mike who probably though Roger was going to go for the lay up.

If you watch the replay Pryzbilla was stepping up and ready to contest a layup attempt from Mason. At that same time Aldridge was right behind Mason ready to attempt to block his shot from behind. It was the right play from Mason, the ball just didn't go down.

tmtcsc
11-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I think Mason should have just taken the layup he had as opposed to passin the ball to Mike who probably though Roger was going to go for the lay up.

Still though we have 80 games to go and we just didn't come out with the same energy level as the Blazers last night.

Nah, I think he did the right thing. I initially shared your sentiments until I re-watched that play 3 or 4 times. Finley was wide open and was borderline close enough to lay up or dunk the ball. He settled for the little 3 foot jumper because of the clock. It just rimmed out. That is a tougher shot than people realize, especially when you are more used to shooting long jumpers.

I'm not surprised in the least that we lost both games. I expected us to play about .500 or a little better until Manu comes back. We can fix the defense and rebounding effort but I am thrilled about how Tim, Tony and Mason look.

Once we get all our guys back and return to a normal rotation we are going to be really, really good and contend for the title. I like this team better than last years.

hater
11-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Finley should have made that. He could make that with eyes closed. He fucked up.

Mahinmi needs to turn into a little amare or I don't see much hope for our front line

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
we don't need frontline scoring..I don't want Mahinmi being Amare, that would mean he's a terrible defender and rebounder..

we need Mahinmi to just dunk, block shots and rebound..he's athletic enough to do it, and he would be feeding off Duncan, Parker and now Mason..

I don't know how to feel about these 1st games..very mixed..we lost to a top 5 team in the West by basically 1 possession and we lost at the buzzer to a 7th/8th seed Blazers team that was coming off an embarrassing loss in their opener..without Manu and Oberto..with an injured Hill and Mahinmi..with no Tolliver..

our offense looks very good IMO and improved from last year..but our defense will need a lot of work..we probably won't see Spurs defense until December/January IMO..we're focusing too much on offense, and forgot how our titles were won..

exstatic
11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm completely relieved that it looks like we have another option other than Finley at the 2 when Manu is out. The only complaint I have about Roger Mason is that he doesn't shoot enough. He's absolutely scorching the nets right now (71 FG% 83 3G% :wow), and you have to ride a streak like that when you're on one.

So far, we're outshooting our opponents 52.7 to 47.8. We're just getting worked on the boards, which isn't a huge surprise, being down 3 big men right now.

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Roger is a scorer..from watching him with the Wizards, and like I said a lot in the off-season, he loves to shoot..he's just getting accustomed right now, and wants to defer to his teammates..as the games go by without Manu, you'll DEFINITELY see Roger shoot more..

manufor3
11-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Finley should have made that. He could make that with eyes closed. He fucked up.

Mahinmi needs to turn into a little amare or I don't see much hope for our front line

you are a hater

Phenomanul
11-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Winning in Portland without Ginobili would have been a daunting task... the last three games at Portland have required game winning drives by #20. Ginobili probably takes it to Pryzbilla on the last play considering Joel was inside the semi-circle, or attempts a high arching finger roll...

DPG21920
11-01-2008, 01:08 PM
It is a tough start schedule wise for the Spurs. I am really excited about the way they are playing overall. If they can just tighten up the rebounding (which having Oberto will help) this team can do well. Tough schedule, tough losses, but lots to be excited about! Just stay positive!

jjktkk
11-01-2008, 01:32 PM
we don't need frontline scoring..I don't want Mahinmi being Amare, that would mean he's a terrible defender and rebounder..

we need Mahinmi to just dunk, block shots and rebound..he's athletic enough to do it, and he would be feeding off Duncan, Parker and now Mason..

I don't know how to feel about these 1st games..very mixed..we lost to a top 5 team in the West by basically 1 possession and we lost at the buzzer to a 7th/8th seed Blazers team that was coming off an embarrassing loss in their opener..without Manu and Oberto..with an injured Hill and Mahinmi..with no Tolliver..

our offense looks very good IMO and improved from last year..but our defense will need a lot of work..we probably won't see Spurs defense until December/January IMO..we're focusing too much on offense, and forgot how our titles were won..

Phoenix a top 5 team??? What league? The Pac-10?

TJastal
11-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Phoenix a top 5 team??? What league? The Pac-10?

I think an offensive minded big man to compliment Duncan wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, especially in light of the team's scoring woes in recent years.

With that in mind, if he can even be a poor man's Amare I would be thrilled.

Tully365
11-01-2008, 01:57 PM
It is a tough start schedule wise for the Spurs. I am really excited about the way they are playing overall. If they can just tighten up the rebounding (which having Oberto will help) this team can do well. Tough schedule, tough losses, but lots to be excited about! Just stay positive!

I'm with ya on this opinion. Duncan and Parker look great, Mason looks good, and soon the Spurs will add Oberto, Mahinmi, Hill, and Ginobili, four guys that might someday in the near future be 4/5s of the second squad.

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2008, 10:47 PM
who are 5 teams in the West that are better than Phoenix?..

LA, NO, Houston and the Spurs..who's the 5th? Utah is arguable, I don't think they're as good as people think they are..Dallas doesn't have a good argument at this point IMO..the Suns are still a good team, they still have some solid pieces..

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 11:03 PM
who are 5 teams in the West that are better than Phoenix?..

LA, NO, Houston and the Spurs..who's the 5th? Utah is arguable, I don't think they're as good as people think they are..Dallas doesn't have a good argument at this point IMO..the Suns are still a good team, they still have some solid pieces..

There's no fair way to say that the Spurs are better than Phoenix. There just isn't.

Please_dont_ban_me
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I like the future.

The first 3 1/2 quarters were ugly. But Mason looked nice, and really opened up towards the end. I'm not sure I'm feeling that Farmer kid though. Bring back Oberto / Manu and we should be alright.

Mason Jr. > Finley

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome back, pdbm.

11-01-2008, 11:36 PM

i want mahinmi to take, dare i say it, an andrew bynum role. someone who can clean up around the rim and catch lobs from a double teamed duncan or a pick and rolling parker. right now however, he seems adverse to playing the low post and only kind of shoots from midrange.

DPG21920
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I am just saying if the Finley just so happened to hit that shot and the Spurs are 1-1 instead of 0-2, does that really change how the Spurs played?

peskypesky
11-02-2008, 02:34 AM
I can't believe I'm saying it, but I feel very good about the Spurs, even though we're 0-2. We're missing 3 big men (one of them the starting center), and we're missing our leading scorer from last year, and yet we were right there at the end of both games.

Add Manu and Oberto to those games, and I think we are 2-0 no prob.

Mason is looking like a fantastic pick-up. Parker looks better than ever IMO, and Duncan, well what can you say? He's still a beast.

So yeah, I feel VERY GOOD about things right now.

peskypesky
11-02-2008, 02:35 AM
i want mahinmi to take, dare i say it, an andrew bynum role. someone who can clean up around the rim and catch lobs from a double teamed duncan or a pick and rolling parker. right now however, he seems adverse to playing the low post and only kind of shoots from midrange.

maybe some testosterone injections are needed?

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't mind Mahinmi taking jumpers..as long as he can dunk the ball aggressively when Duncan, Parker or Ginobili get him in position..and as long as he can rebound and block shots..I'm not expecting to run plays for him in the post or anything, that would be asking too much..

if Ian can't be an upgrade over Oberto or Thomas by the end of this season, then he might be a wasted pick IMO..

xtremesteven33
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
All Ian has to do is be aggressive and use his youth and athletecism to his advantage.

Grabing rebounds, contesting shots, hustling....something our current bigs cant do to well.
If he can do that. Ill be really happy. Also it would be great to hear Bill Walton say this to Ian during a Spurs game:

"Throw it down big man,throw it down."

ace3g
11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
It is just good to have another player off the bench that can avg double figures, now hopefully Mahinmi, Hill, or both can avg double figures in points off the bench.

That is why I'm not too worried right now, we are missing a lot of pieces and are still competing against good teams: Suns and Blazers

Missing pieces: Manu, Oberto, Tolliver, Hill, and Mahinmi

bringing in the stone cutter reference, right now we are hammering away hopefully by the end of the season we will reach that 101st blow and the stone will split