PDA

View Full Version : Shaquille O'Neal about Duncan, ESPN Mark Stein interview

biba
11-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Deep Thoughts With The Big Aristotle

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081101-02

By Marc Stein ESPN.com

MS: If you don't win another championship, can you live with four rings? Did you do enough? Do you need to break that tie with Duncan?

SO: Coming up, [with] my father … it was Russell, Kareem and Wilt in my face every day. Bill is a guy with 11 championships, so there's no way I'll catch him. Kareem has six. I'd love to tie him or pass him up, but right now I'm like in third when it comes to championships, tied with the great Tim Duncan. I would love to get to five before [Duncan] gets five, but he's a great player on a great team. But he's not a center, either. He's a forward.

MS: You really believe that?

SO: Yeah. Is he a center? I don't think he is. He's not a center. Does he play 5? No, he's just tall.

MS: When you play them [the Spurs] in the fourth quarter, who do you guard?

SO: I guard him.

MS: And who guards you?

SO: Not him all the time.

MS: In the fourth quarter.

SO: Sometimes. … But, hey, he's a great big man. He's a tall 4 that can play 4 and 5, but most of his career he's been [a] 4 and they had another guy that was taller out there.

We're different type of shoguns. We never really had a rivalry with each other. It's never like it was with me and [Alonzo] Mourning or me and David [Robinson]. Great dude.

WalterBenitez
11-01-2008, 06:44 AM
I'd love that TD got a ring this year, is 2009 you know.

Good comments coming from Shaq!

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I've always known Shaq has tremendous respect for Duncan, he gives him credit all the time..I don't know why a lot of people here like to make up some hatred that Shaq supposedly has for Duncan, and that he disrespects him..they're always joking around together and talking on the court, even having conversations during big playoff games..Shaq obviously knows who his peer is for this generation, and it's Tim..the 2 best players of the generation..

m33p0
11-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Spurs fans and The Big Taco at least agree that Duncan is a PF... for different reasons.

zepn
11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I've always known Shaq has tremendous respect for Duncan, he gives him credit all the time..I don't know why a lot of people here like to make up some hatred that Shaq supposedly has for Duncan, and that he disrespects him..they're always joking around together and talking on the court, even having conversations during big playoff games..Shaq obviously knows who his peer is for this generation, and it's Tim..the 2 best players of the generation..

He didn't show much respect when Tim tried to help his fat ass up - Shaq wouldn't even look at him. He's an ass. And when someone calls him on it he pusses-out and says "Oh I was just kidding, that's just marketing, man". Yeah, right.

samikeyp
11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
He didn't show much respect when Tim tried to help his fat ass up - Shaq wouldn't even look at him. He's an ass. And when someone calls him on it he pusses-out and says "Oh I was just kidding, that's just marketing, man". Yeah, right.

For once, you and I are in agreement. Shaq respects exactly one thing...his wallet.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 07:35 AM
He didn't show much respect when Tim tried to help his fat ass up - Shaq wouldn't even look at him. He's an ass.

This part, I give Shaq a free pass on. Shaq never takes a hand up from anybody except his own teammates...enemies on the court. It does look rude sometimes but at least I can understand why.

A few players do this as a matter of principal.

Anti.Hero
11-02-2008, 10:19 AM
This big goon always has to tell people TD is a forward in every one of his interviews I read :lmao

Killakobe81
11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
This big goon always has to tell people TD is a forward in every one of his interviews I read :lmao

YOu have 2 read between the lines ...Shaq is no dummy he is trying his best so that Duncan is NOT considered the greatest player of HIS generation he is getting older and trying to protect HIS legacy ...regardless of whether TIM is a PF or center (I say he is a center who the Spurs have been smart to use at PF) Shaq knows that many can argue that Tim has been the better player ...and as much as he respects Duncan he doesnt want to be measured vs. Duncan because like Adraian told Rocky "he CAN'T win!!!"

Here is my take SHAQ at his best (the 3peat) was better than Duncan and the most dominant player especially for the 1st 2 title runs ...

BUT 2 things 2 consider Tim (as good as Manu and Parker are) has never played with a Kobe Bryant ...in fact the BEST player Duncan has played with it was end of his prime DRob ...and duncan still has the same number of rings and Finals MVP's and MORE regular season MVP's before the Nash era corrupted the process ...

I have posted it here many times ...Shaq in 2000 had one of the greatest big man seasons ever ...but how many times did we se that SHAQ dominate for a season instead of just turning it on in the playoffs?

IMHO (even as a Laker fan) when you factor in regular season, consistency, clutch and defense Kareem, Duncan and Hakeem all better than Shaq ...
When it comes to being clutch in late game situations definitely Kareem and Duncan better than Shaq defensively all 3 are better
I think folks that consider SHAq as the greatest big man (just heard GP say this on NBATV are full of shit) ...my 2 cents

Indazone
11-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Ditto! Great post. Kareem, Duncan and Hakeem were amazing.

JamStone
11-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Why criticize something Shaq says when it's true? Tim Duncan isn't a center and hasn't played center for the vast majority of his career. That's true. So why crack on the guy just because he mentions a fact?

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I have to agree that a Duncan-Kobe combination wouldn't have split, and would have won more than 4 rings IMO would have been great, even though I hate Kobe..

wildbill2u
11-02-2008, 01:07 PM
By minimizing Tim's play as a center, Shaq cuts off the comparisons. Smart guy.

They will still be compared as the best big men of their generations however by most people. Hopefully TD will come out on top.