PDA

View Full Version : You Never Know, This Could Be Kinda Like 03 Again

davi78239
11-01-2008, 10:10 AM
We all thought that the spurs were gonna suck that year cause they had a couple of new faces, injured people..... Till they started Gelling and coming together and people were all of a sudden healthy and they ended up winning the title. Let em heal, come together and play some more games and we'll see what happens. No need to panic after just the first two games of the long season. All the spurs really need to do is play well enough to get into the playoffs and you'll see a lot of people respect them and not write em, regardless if they end up a bottom seed. Other teams no better not to sleep on a spurs playoff team that's won 4 titles and has a good amount of people still on that team that know how to win.

Indazone
11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
George Hill to the Rescue!!

toki9
11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I was actually encouraged by our losses so far...we played very competitive ball against good clubs...and we are nowhere near our full complement of players (and still integrating new players to the defensive scheme)...it's crummy that we have 2 losses to start, but it's not that bad...given how competitive the western conference is, we don't have much room for error, but i think it's way too soon to pass judgment on this team already...

stéphane
11-01-2008, 11:13 AM
George Hill to the Rescue!!

I'm not sure a defensive point is the help we need right now...

Russ
11-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Spurs had the best record in the NBA in '03 -- hard to see that part happening.

Thomas82
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Spurs had the best record in the NBA in '03 -- hard to see that part happening.

Didn't they tie the Mavericks that year at 60-22?

m33p0
11-01-2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.hotpotatomash.com/bush%20thumbsup.jpg

sexinthatsx
11-01-2008, 11:33 PM

I'm pretty sure George Hill can contribute effectively in offense

Obstructed_View
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM

They damn sure need help on defense, Hill's also a good scorer and decent rebounder, and Parker's getting heavy minutes. Until Mahinmi, Oberto and Tolliver come back Hill is the best we can hope for.

Ice009
11-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Unless of course Stephane is scared Hill will take minutes from TP? ;)

TDMVPDPOY
11-02-2008, 07:01 AM
50 wins wont guaranteed you a playoff spot in the west

mrspurs
11-02-2008, 08:15 AM
hahaha. Trying to compare this team to 2003. And thats right 50 wins wont put in the PO's. Imo unless your named the lakers you will need HCA as well in order to get to the finals.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
no you don't..

1st of all, homecourt advantage is irrelevant to us, as we've shown in the past..

2nd of all, you won't need 50 wins to make the playoffs..the West isn't as good as last season..Denver is worse, Golden State is significantly worse..Denver was a playoff team last year, and Golden State won 48 games last year..Portland is a question mark based on Greg Oden..

DMX7
11-02-2008, 02:10 PM
It could be... it will have to be more spectacular though.

angelbelow
11-02-2008, 02:21 PM
always hope for the best, thats what being a sports fan is all about. i almost look down upon those who just talk shit and claim to be spurs, whats the point?

djohn14
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
If only James Gist where here. Roger Mason has really impressed me, and this will be great when Manu is back and we can rest him and not lose too much on the court!

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the main difference from that year is Tim Duncan was in his prime, and clearly the best player in the league coming off two straight MVP's.
Although, they didnt have 2 othe legit superstars either like now.

Lakers_55
11-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll offer up a comparison of today's Spurs to the 2003 Lakers, since 2003 is mentioned. By 2003, it was a 2 team show for LA, Shaq and Kobe. When they first hooked up in 1996, I felt a championship was inevitable. When LA won in 2000, I thought they could keep winning until Shaq was done (about now). What happened was the rest of the league adjusted to the Lakers, and most of our decent supporting cast was gone. Who was left in 2003? We let Horry go. Devean George? Yeah, he's lighting things up in Dallas now...Medvedenko? Is he still in the NBA? Kareem Rush? Phil liked him and used him, but he was gone right after Jackson went the first time.

There is no question that after 2003 until now, TD, MG, and TP are the best threesome in the NBA. However, as you know, the rest of the Spurs team has certain deficiencies. What's happened is, the rest of the NBA has done what they did when Shaq and Kobe were partnered, they readjusted. Look at last year, about 10 teams had a shot to win it all. At least 6 are in this category now, and there may be more...In 2007 you could say only 4 teams had a shot and the Mavs exited in round 1, followed by the Suns in round 2.

I'm not saying you can't win again with your 3 superstars, I'm saying that the NBA is kind of like the Borg collective from Star Trek the Next Generation. They adapt to attacks and become immune. You guys did to us what Sacramento came close to, stopped us from winning titles. Now, we aren't the only team blocking your path. It isn't as easy for the Spurs as at was in 2005-07.

I agree, the regular season isn't the most important thing, it all counts in the playoffs. Spurs and Lakers both know how to advance without it. Don't know why we only play you three times this season, and not until February, but hey, that's the schedule. Speaking of schedules, it seems to me the rest of 2008 should be rather light for the Spurs. Your 0-2 start will quickly be forgotten once the wins starting racking up.

K-State Spur
11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah, i don't see any reason to panic just yet.

you can't blame these losses on a lack of speed, size, or athleticism. the mistakes so far are very correctable. i reserve the right to change my opinion later in the season, but nobody should be nearing desperation at this point.

Odin-Loon
11-02-2008, 07:16 PM
yeah, i don't see any reason to panic just yet.

you can't blame these losses on a lack of speed, size, or athleticism. the mistakes so far are very correctable. i reserve the right to change my opinion later in the season, but nobody should be nearing desperation at this point.

Exactly they had a chance to win both games and they will lean from the mistakes they made, it's also very very early in the season.

stéphane
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Unless of course Stephane is scared Hill will take minutes from TP? ;)

:lol I couldn't care less about his minutes, he plays well right now but we're losing.
It's a spurs board not a parker board. I've been around despite posting not that much for a while now so don't always question a fan because of the country he's coming from.

Ice009
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
:lol I couldn't care less about his minutes, he plays well right now but we're losing.
It's a spurs board not a parker board. I've been around despite posting not that much for a while now so don't always question a fan because of the country he's coming from.

I was just joking. Hence the ;).

I love the way TP is playing so far this season.

intlspurshk
11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
In 2003, SPURS had Manu for the 1st time. In 2009, who do SPURS have..Ian, George???????