PDA

View Full Version : Portis expecting to play against Chiefs

ducks
10-04-2003, 02:16 PM
DENVER (AP) -- Running back Clinton Portis expects to play for the Denver Broncos against Kansas City after testing his bruised chest in contact drills Thursday.

``Really, I don't have any concerns,'' Portis said. ``I feel good and if I didn't, I don't think I'd put myself in this situation. I'm ready to go out and test it.''

Portis missed last week's game against Detroit and played half the previous two games after being hit in the chest against San Diego on Sept. 14. He went through light drills Wednesday, then took some hits in full pads Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

``Clinton had a good practice, had some contact and felt pretty good,'' Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. ``He said he had no setback, so he should be ready to go unless something happens tomorrow.''

Portis expects to play Sunday, but won't weigh himself down with tape or extra pads to do it.

``I don't think I'm going to go out and take any safety measures where I'm going to go out there playing with 20 more pounds of pads on and then you all will be like, 'Well, Clinton don't look the same,''' he said. ``I'm going to go out and play. If it's going to pop back out it's going to pop back out.''

Updated on Thursday, Oct 2, 2003 7:26 pmlink (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-portis&prov=ap&type=lgns)