PDA

View Full Version : Lakers add Rambis, Shaw to coaching staff

ducks
02-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Lakers add Rambis, Shaw to coaching staff
February 17, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) - One day after giving him a vote of confidence, Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak gave interim coach Frank Hamblen some help.

Former Lakers Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw were added to the Lakers' coaching staff Thursday and will serve as assistants to Hamblen for the remainder of the season.

Hamblen has guided the Lakers to a 2-5 record since taking over for Rudy Tomjanovich, who resigned February 2 due to health concerns. Kupchak told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday that he expected Hamblen to coach the team for the remainder of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
Rambis, who played nine seasons with the Lakers, was an assistant under Phil Jackson for three seasons before taking over as vice president of business and basketball integration this season.

Rambis also was named interim coach 12 games into the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season and set an NBA record since broken by winning the first nine games of his coaching career.

Shaw won three titles in Los Angeles as a player from 2000-02 and served as an assistant director of scouting in the organization after retiring before the 2003-04 campaign.

ShoogarBear
02-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Rambis also was named interim coach 12 games into the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season and set an NBA record since broken by winning the first nine games of his coaching career.

Damn, I forgot about that.

All I remember is that he lost his last four.

:smokin

Blazer16
02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
I think Shaw could help them. He knows all their players from playing a couple of years back.

Medvedenko
02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes...these coaches will help install the Triangle....of course making way for Phil.