PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Crush Thunder 89-77

Indazone
11-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Rockets record now 3-0

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Houston, TX -- (Sports Network) - Tracy McGrady led six Houston players in double figures with 22 points, as the Rockets posted an 89-77 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.
"Tonight was one of those nights where we couldn't find the rhythm," McGrady said. "We found a way to push ourselves through it and get the comfortable lead we needed."
Yao Ming added 16 points and 11 rebounds for Houston, which remained perfect this season at 3-0. The Rockets have won each of their games by at least 10 points.
"I thought that we didn't play very smart offensively," Rockets head coach Rick Adelman said despite the victory. "We turned it over too many times, and in the first half it just seemed like we were content to take the first option and force the play."
Carl Landry came off the bench to score 14 points and grab 11 boards for Houston.
"It was more of a team effort," Landry said. "There are areas we need to improve on. In the first half, we didn't get back in transition and protect the basket. We regrouped at halftime, and came out better in the second half."
Kevin Durant led all scorers with 26 points, but Oklahoma City stayed winless with its second loss this season. Johan Petro and Jeff Green each had 10 points, the only other Thunder players in double-digit scoring.
"We came out and played hard," Durant said. "We played a great first half, but we ended up giving them easy baskets in the second half."
The teams traded baskets in the first quarter, which Houston came out of ahead by a 20-17 margin, and that pattern continued through the second. Only a Luis Scola jumper in the final seconds gave the Rockets a 42-41 lead at the break.
But after a Green jumper put Oklahoma City in front, 47-46, less than three minutes into the third, Houston broke out with a 12-4 run.
Scola had four points in the surge, including two free throws that put Houston ahead 58-51 with a little more than five minutes left in the third.
The Rockets continued to hold a several-possession lead for the remainder of the third, and went into the final frame ahead 65-59.
But a 12-2 run to open the fourth helped the Rockets put some distance between themselves and the Thunder. Landry scored six points during it, including a jumper with a little under nine minutes left in the game that capped the run, giving Houston a 77-61 advantage.
It was a back-breaking run, as Oklahoma City never got within 10 points the rest of the game.

bee01
11-02-2008, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't exactly say "crush". Once again the Rockets played down to their competition. On some nights they'll pay for that.

Tmac&Luther
11-02-2008, 03:29 AM
I wouldn't exactly say "crush". Once again the Rockets played down to their competition. On some nights they'll pay for that.

:lol It's the JVG still left in them.........they got so used to keeping games close. If you notice though, just like under JVG when it's time to turn up the defense or flip the switch offensively they do.........but yeah they need to develop a killer instint where they just go for blood when they have teams like this on their schedule. Especially in front of their own damn crowd.

Tmac&Luther
11-02-2008, 03:32 AM
McGrady's movement in this game looked a hellava lot better since that last preseason game. He's not quite there yet (I'd say 75-80%), but he has looked a little stronger as these games pass.

Kai
11-02-2008, 03:34 AM
We will know A LOT more about this team after the Boston game on Tuesday.

Tmac&Luther
11-02-2008, 03:41 AM

I'm not really expecting to win that game........I mean yeah it'd be nice, but the Celtics are coming off a loss and are going to bring their "A" game. (They're not going to overlook us like they did the Pacers)

I think we need to be at full strength and have much more chemistry (need to gel) to beat them. If we atleast play them tough in a close game I'll be more than happy.

Plus KG is probably the worst matchup in the NBA for us.

Kai
11-02-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm not really expecting to win that game........I mean yeah it'd be nice, but the Celtics are coming off a loss and are going to bring their "A" game. (They're not going to overlook us like they did the Pacers)

I think we need to be at full strength and have much more chemistry (need to gel) to beat them. If we atleast play them tough in a close game I'll be more than happy.

Agreed. Just by watching our first three games, you can tell we aren't even close to where we want to be as a team, offensively or defensively. We'll get there with repetition.

I'd much rather lose to the Celtics than to the Lakers or Hornets anyways.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Yes, that will be a good measuring stick. That's why I can't get too excited about the Lakers wins so far.

Personally, I think the Rockets are going to beat the Celtics.

sook
11-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes, that will be a good measuring stick. That's why I can't get too excited about the Lakers wins so far.

Personally, I think the Rockets are going to beat the Celtics.

i dont, the rockets will be a completely diff team when battier comes back, he is mcgrady's compliment, thats why our team looks out of sync at times, i honestly don't care about teh 1st half of the season even though i got good tix to that game

Indazone
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Everyone is playing ragged right now while trying to figure out new teammates, and remember offensive and defensive systems. The Rockets bring back the core of the team that won 22 straight games and the Celtics bring everyone back too with the exception of Posey.

Rockets will win the next game based on depth of bench and Artest.

Avitus1
11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I think the way the Rockets are playing they might be the guys that surprise us all come playoffs.

Kobe™
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
LOl @ "Crush"

JamStone
11-02-2008, 12:19 PM
In other NBA news, the Atlanta Hawks completely and utterly destroy the Philadelphia 76ers, 95-88, by making a few big plays in the final minutes.

JamStone
11-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the way the Rockets are playing they might be the guys that surprise us all come playoffs.

I think the way the Rockets are playing, they might surprise no one by not being the same team in the playoffs when two or three of their key players are out for the season due to injury.

Indazone
11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
oqRXJtPwqOk

CRUSH KILL DESTROY

Rockets Crush Lakers!! LOL

Roxsfan
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I think the way the Rockets are playing, they might surprise no one by not being the same team in the playoffs when two or three of their key players are out for the season due to injury.

wouldn't you love that:rolleyes

Roxsfan
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I like our chances against the Celtics--I think it will be a hotly contested, playoff-type atmosphere. Heck, their preseason game was, I kid you not.

Go rockets.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
In other NBA news, the Atlanta Hawks completely and utterly destroy the Philadelphia 76ers, 95-88, by making a few big plays in the final minutes.

Yeah they did, they are quietly playing very well.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I watched parts of that Hawks game. For a young team, they got some serious heart.

They don't seem to have lost a step from last year, they look firmly entrenched in the Playoffs race.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Im lookin forward to the Pierce-Artest match up - thats value for money alone.

Do they have anyone to guard T-Mac now that Posey is gone? Ray Allen? Maybe Garnett for stretches.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
McGrady's movement in this game looked a hellava lot better since that last preseason game. He's not quite there yet (I'd say 75-80%), but he has looked a little stronger as these games pass.

Im not sure T-Mac can get to 100% anymore, i think they'l be happy if he can play 75 games at 85%

sribb43
11-02-2008, 11:37 PM
why couldnt the damn rockettes play like ass against the mavs....89 and 82 points against the Grizz/OKC but yet dropped 112 against the mavs. You gotta love the NBA, every night its so unpredictable

monosylab1k
11-02-2008, 11:38 PM
This is the second time I've seen a stupid headline like this. I think ESPN or Yahoo reported that the Mavericks "dominated" the T-Wolves 95-85.

Kai
11-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Im not sure T-Mac can get to 100% anymore, i think they'l be happy if he can play 75 games at 85%

I don't see any reason for T-Mac not to get back to 100%. He had a whole offseason of rest and seems to be improving every single game. We've been limiting his minutes and when he does play, he's attacking the basket a lot more than years past. Artest is really making things easy for him as well.

angelbelow
11-02-2008, 11:52 PM
the spread was rockets winning by 14, so i guess you can say they disappointed =)

robbie380
11-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Im lookin forward to the Pierce-Artest match up - thats value for money alone.

Do they have anyone to guard T-Mac now that Posey is gone? Ray Allen? Maybe Garnett for stretches.

i really wish we had battier out there too. i am salivating at the idea of those 2 out there after watching artest play tough d. if we had battier out there i would almost want to see artest slide down and guard kg some with battier on pierce. it would be fun to watch.

Tmac&Luther
11-03-2008, 02:18 AM
why couldnt the damn rockettes play like ass against the mavs....89 and 82 points against the Grizz/OKC but yet dropped 112 against the mavs. You gotta love the NBA, every night its so unpredictable

Apparently you didn't follow the JVG Rockets......they keep games close, they didn't play like ass against these other teams.......just weren't focused on blowing them out. Notice how they never really fell behind any of the teams they faced and when it counted (hit a clutch shot and) took over in the 4th (just like in the Mavs game). They have no problem trading blows throughout the game against teams, I just wish they would look for the knockout blow more often.

It's almost like they feed off of their opponents....if their opponents are hot, then their hot, if not, they'll just play the defensive half court game.

Findog
11-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Acceptable terms:

- Kevin Durant's team
- The Seattle SloppySeconds
- The Bennett City Stranglers
- The Team That Shall Not Be Named

Yes, I stole those from Bill Simmons