PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want Luther Head and Rafer Alston

DaDakota
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
We are trading them away for a half eaten bag of doritos and a flat soda.

Why?

Because they both suck.

DD

jacobdrj
11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
So they got rid of Mike James 3 times because Rafer has ... ... ... potential... ... ...

I am not saying that MJ is that much better, but IMHO he plays better defense more consistantly. And the streaky 3-point shooting is perfect for a centercentric team.

BlackSwordsMan
11-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Both for Bonner?

Killakobe81
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I agree those 2 (pg in general will be the undoing in the playoffs)

I admit the ROX scare me the most even more than the Hornets IF they can gel but a good PG would help that ...i don't see beating a team that executes wel such as the hornets, Jazz or Lakers
They will beat ROX in 2nd round ...

DaDakota
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
So they got rid of Mike James 3 times because Rafer has ... ... ... potential... ... ...

I am not saying that MJ is that much better, but IMHO he plays better defense more consistantly. And the streaky 3-point shooting is perfect for a centercentric team.

Mike James doesn't pass the ball all that well and clashed with Tmac......he just didn't fit.

Me, I wanted to keep V-Span......

DD

DaDakota
11-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree those 2 (pg in general will be the undoing in the playoffs)

I admit the ROX scare me the most even more than the Hornets IF they can gel but a good PG would help that ...i don't see it a team that executes wel hornets, Jazz or Lakers will beat ROX in 2nd round ...

The difference is this year as Rafer struggles the Rockets have other options at the PG spot.

1. Aaron Brooks is playing well as the backup PG
2. Brent Barry can play there some
3. TMac can play point

The problem is that we need a starter that can dribble the ball and basically shoot a decent 3pt percentage to take advantage of the double teams that Yao, Tmac and Artest get.....

A Steve Blake or Beno Udrih would be awesome in Houston.

DD

Indazone
11-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Head and Alston aren't going anywhere. We collapsed everytime Alston was taken out of the lineup and Adleman let Bobby Jackson run the point. Alston is the best playmaker that the Rockets have. As for Head...well Adleman still says that he understands the offense the best and makes the best cuts. He also shot the highest percentage in preseason.

Head making his mark in camp

Like Alston last season, guard not to be ignored

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Oct. 3, 2008, 11:22PM
http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/10/02/13354210/260xStory.jpg
James Nielsen Chronicle

Luther Head has a lot at stake at Rockets camp with the addition of veteran guard Brent Barry. ( James Nielsen / Chronicle )
The news kept coming, and if Luther Head let himself look at it that way, it was not good news for him.
The Rockets signed Brent Barry, a veteran with championship rings best suited to play Head’s shooting guard position.
They traded for Ron Artest, who can play many positions, with shooting guard near the top of the list.
And with Head’s position on the roster seeming tenuous, the Rockets were clear about their hopes to cut just a bit of salary to move under the luxury tax threshold at a time they were just a bit more than his $1.96 million salary over the tax line.
Don’t worry

“Just (think about) getting better, learning,” Head said. “You can’t really worry about guys coming, if you’re going to play. I think that was my big mistake last year, thinking about the guys coming in and if I was going to play, so this year I’m just ‘whatever.’ When I’m called upon, I’m going to play, try to learn this offense and get better each and every day. Wherever it falls, that’s where I’ll fall.”
Last season, the Rockets collected point guards, trading for Mike James, signing free-agent Steve Francis and drafting Aaron Brooks, all to replace the incumbent Rafer Alston. Alston beat out each newcomer at training camp and in the preseason.
This season, they added Barry and Artest, veterans with greater size and two-guard credentials than Head’s, but Head has not surrendered.
He is not beating out Barry or Artest at the position, but he has turned heads with his play, much as Alston did last season in training camp, giving coach Rick Adelman reason to look for ways to work Head into his rotation.
Seemingly easy to forget in the Rockets’ crowded roster — with nine guards in camp — Head has stood out and earned praise after nearly every practice.
“He’s playing very well,” Adelman said. “You have to look at him and Brent together, see how you can get him on the court. He’s come into camp in great shape, and he’s played well every day. He just runs all day long. He’s got a lot of weapons. He can shoot it. He runs the floor. He cuts well. I’m really pleased with the way he played.
“I think we have enough flexibility in our roster we can find a place for him. That’s the ideal situation, that enough guys play well enough, it’s going to make a hard decision to how you dole the minutes out. Luther knows what we’re trying to do in this system, and he’s one of the better guys at cutting. And he’s a very good shooter. He’s been good every day.”
Adelman has played Head with Brooks in an effective fast-breaking backcourt, but also with Barry to provide the potential for ball-handling help when Head is at the point. Head and Barry have worked well together, with both having the shooting range to provide spacing for their cuts. Both are among the Rockets’ best players moving without the ball.
“It’s good to know two positions, but it’s all about playing,” Head said. “It’s about whatever I can do to help.”
If he can crack the rotation, it would be a significant comeback from the post-season. Caught in a bad matchup with the size of the Utah Jazz’s backcourt for a second-consecutive season, the 6-foot-3 Head struggled badly. He made 11 of 36 shots in 2007 and just one of 14 last season. Head, however, said the struggles had nothing to do with the post-season.
“It’s just one of those things,” Head said. “I didn’t get to play much last year because of the matchup problems. I think Rick saw the matchup problems and saw that it would be best to go to some other guys. I’ll get my chance. Hopefully, when I do, I’ll have some success.”
Plenty of time

A week ago, he might have seemed unlikely to get that chance. There is still an entire preseason, and some tough decisions, before the Oct. 29 season opener. But Head has made it impossible to assume he won’t play his way into that opportunity.
“You saw it happen with Rafer last year,” Head said. “I don’t think about anybody else that’s here. It’s about me trying to find what I can do to help the team. I do what I can do, catch-and-shoot, getting good cuts. This year it’s about me trying to find my spot.”
[email protected] ([email protected])

JamStone
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I envisioned a line-up that consisted of T-Mac at point, Artest at SG, Battier, Scola, and Yao. I figured if they're all healthy, they should play their five best for stretches. Artest would have no problem guarding most guards and T-Mac still has reasonable athleticism and quickness to guard all but the fastest guards. Size and length helps them play off a bit anyway.

DaDakota
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
IndaZone....Adelman is just talking him up for trade.........you can tell by the minutes Luther is getting now that AB is healthy....ZERO the last two games.

And, Battier is coming back, pushing Head further down the list.....

Barring injury, he is dead.

Alston has the ear of Tmac and can dribble, but everyone knows he can't shoot.....now at least the coach can bench him and others can run the point.

The sooner he leaves the team, the better though.....IMO.

DD

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Aaron Brooks is very talent player. He just need learn to develop some point guard skills. He is just shoot or drive and kick or drive and dish player and no point guard ability. But he is very talent player and very aggressive. Maybe in time he will be good enough for them in offense. In defense though he is too small.

Alston is good at being steady player and not turn ball over. he suck really badly in everything else in game. Mike James is ball hog with no basketball IQ and he just suck. Luther Head is horrible player. One of worst I have ever see in NBA. It is more proof how bad of coach is Van Gundy that he always was play this idiot.

In good Euroleague club he would not last a week even probably.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
The difference is this year as Rafer struggles the Rockets have other options at the PG spot.

1. Aaron Brooks is playing well as the backup PG
2. Brent Barry can play there some
3. TMac can play point

The problem is that we need a starter that can dribble the ball and basically shoot a decent 3pt percentage to take advantage of the double teams that Yao, Tmac and Artest get.....

A Steve Blake or Beno Udrih would be awesome in Houston.

DD

Beno is talented player and is capable of being starter but he is just a OK player and nothing more. Brooks is better than him.

Killakobe81
11-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I envisioned a line-up that consisted of T-Mac at point, Artest at SG, Battier, Scola, and Yao. I figured if they're all healthy, they should play their five best for stretches. Artest would have no problem guarding most guards and T-Mac still has reasonable athleticism and quickness to guard all but the fastest guards. Size and length helps them play off a bit anyway.

Yo Jamstone i respect your opinion a whole lot thought your arguments/insight on the Lebron vs. Kobe question were 90% dead-on.
I agree the Yao, TMAC Battier, Scola Artest is best talent line up but the consistent shooting is iffy ...with that line up 3 of te 5 would be better served in the post dont think it would work except in VERY short stretches ...and as good as Artest is he cant gaurd Kobe, Paul Dwilliams on the perimeter ...Artest advantage is quick hands and strength he DOES NOT move his feet that well anymore those that watched the HOuston Dallas game where JHO blew by Ron can attest to that ...

JamStone
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Thing is with players like Chris Paul, Kobe, and Deron Williams, they have the ability to destroy teams no matter who you put on them, point guard or otherwise. Artest wouldn't be guarding Kobe as much as Battier or T-Mac anyway, or at least switching and sharing with those two. But, as much of an advantage as those types of players might have offensively, they and their teammates no have to face the prospects of two of their three perimeter players guarding either Artest or T-Mac and probably putting a point guard on the 6'9" Battier, who will at the very least get really nice looks at open jumpers and have an advantage at offensive rebounding should teams do that.

nsrammstein
11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
how bout a bucket of chiken wings and a big red?

Mad_Hatter
11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Aaron Brooks is very talent player. He just need learn to develop some point guard skills. He is just shoot or drive and kick or drive and dish player and no point guard ability. But he is very talent player and very aggressive. Maybe in time he will be good enough for them in offense. In defense though he is too small.

you are one dumb troll. Brooks needs to develop PG skills? then you say all he does is drive and kick/dish to the open man... thats what a PG does... idiot.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't want Alston on my team. I always want to refer to him by the gramatically correct name "Rafist".

Kai
11-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Luther Head has no place on this team, but I don't think he is worthless. At least not until the playoffs.

nkdlunch
11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
fuck no

Trainwreck2100
11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
anybody remeber that year where tthe Rockets drafted Luther Head and Rudy Gay, but then they traded Gay and not Head, :tu nice move Houston FO

Tmac&Luther
11-03-2008, 02:41 AM
:lol I hope y'all keep sleeping on Aaron Brooks.....he has the heart and skill.

Rafer is playing the worst ball he will all year....he'll start hitting those open shots more frequently, but the difference from last season is Houston finally has a (true PG...*gasp*...just because the guy has scoring ability doesn't mean he can't pass) game changer that comes off the bench....they have a player that can change the tempo and break down your defense like butter and he's only going to get better as the season goes on.

Houston is solid at PG......especially with all the other weapons around them.

anakha
11-03-2008, 02:53 AM
:lol I hope y'all keep sleeping on Aaron Brooks.....he has the heart and skill.

Rafer is playing the worst ball he will all year....he'll start hitting those open shots more frequently, but the difference from last season is Houston has a game changer that comes off the bench....they have a player that can change the tempo and break down your defense like butter and he's only going to get better as the season goes on.

Houston is solid at PG......especially with all the other weapons around them.

You might wanna request for a name change now, given this thread. :lol

Tmac&Luther
11-03-2008, 02:57 AM
You might wanna request for a name change now, given this thread. :lol

This name is actually 3 years old (on other boards).....just a creature of habbit.

To be honest.......I can't stand the bleeding vagina Tamc and I hate Luther..so I actually wear it with a badge of honor...it's my scarlet letter. :lol

Killakobe81
11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Brooks IS impressive ...but disagree that Houston is "set" at PG ...point is that is the only cocern for the ROX besides health of course ...

robbie380
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
anybody remeber that year where tthe Rockets drafted Luther Head and Rudy Gay, but then they traded Gay and not Head, :tu nice move Houston FO

...because the grizz were really beating down our door for luther head. pretty sure we couldn't have got battier for swifts craptastic contract and piece of garbage head.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
you are one dumb troll. Brooks needs to develop PG skills? then you say all he does is drive and kick/dish to the open man... thats what a PG does... idiot.

You are idiot. point guard must be much more than just this. In Europe this will never pass for point guard skills.

Indazone
11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
just wait. The Franchise will be back in full form at the All-Star break. he sucks right now but he'll rehab back to his old form by then.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
just wait. The Franchise will be back in full form at the All-Star break. he sucks right now but he'll rehab back to his old form by then.

Will Rockets want Marbury?

Tmac&Luther
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Brooks IS impressive ...but disagree that Houston is "set" at PG ...point is that is the only cocern for the ROX besides health of course ...

On this team Houston is fine at PG...........you either need a badass PG and average players or badass players and a average PG.

Houston has badass players around a average PG, with a young up and commer off the bench......it's not that big of a deal. You can't have allstars at every position.

Also in this system, the PG position isn't that important to begin with.....it's a read and react system, where just about every player has to move the ball. It doesn't really call for one person to run the whole offense.

Tmac&Luther
11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Will Rockets want Marbury?

Hell no, Marbury is a team killer that has sucked the life out of every team he has been on.