PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Observations Thread

InRareForm
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Add on...

-Boston looks like they won't be as focused in regular season, it is typical champs protocol (especially on road).

-Sixers are good, but they are going to have to calibrate that offense and get used to each other. Young is a baller and will be an x-factor for their success this season.

-Rockets are well balanced, but any day now an injury will hit Yao or McGrady.

-As many predicted, Marion is not utilized very well offensively on the Miami team. He has barely taken any shots. Whoever got him first round in fantasy should be ashamed of their selves.

Kai
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Chris Paul is amazing, as is Kobe.

SpursDynasty
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
The Lakers, Hornets, and Rockets haven't played any real teams.

BRHornet45
11-02-2008, 07:45 PM

LOL

Kai
11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Next 7 games for the Rockets:

Tue 04 vs Boston
Thu 06 @ Portland
Fri 07 @ LA Clippers
Sun 09 @ LA Lakers
Wed 12 @ Phoenix
Fri 14 @ San Antonio
Sat 15 vs New Orleans

Bring it on :hat

Allanon
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM

True. No offense to the Nuggets, they played well on a back to back.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Next 7 games for the Rockets:

Tue 04 vs Boston
Thu 06 @ Portland
Fri 07 @ LA Clippers
Sun 09 @ LA Lakers
Wed 12 @ Phoenix
Fri 14 @ San Antonio
Sat 15 vs New Orleans

Bring it on :hat

If the Rockets can get through that schedule and still be on top, they're for real.

Lakers have it easy in November and will have to get through December on top before I start thinking parade.

Hornets have it ridiculously easy until December but won't really get much nightly challenge until January. After January, we'll know if the Hornets can hang.

nkdlunch
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Rudy Fernandez

IronMexican
11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Lakers, Hornets, Rockets are the creamof the crop.

The Franchise
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
There are still 79 games left. :p:

hater
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Lakers, Hornets, Rockets are the creamof the crop.

I see Lakers as lone team at the top.

Rockets, Hornets, even Celtics look beatable.

InRareForm
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I see Lakers as lone team at the top.

Rockets, Hornets, even Celtics look beatable.

really? THe same lakers team that lets guards put up huge points on them? They improved on defense with Bynum and Ariza, but they are far from being a dominant defensive ball club.

hater
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
really? THe same lakers team that lets guards put up huge points on them? They improved on defense with Bynum and Ariza, but they are far from being a dominant defensive ball club.

well it's the 1st week of the season. and I hope you are right

But no other nba teams look remotely close to Lakers. They are not only stacked at every position. Every single of their players look confident like never before.

Kai
11-02-2008, 09:11 PM
well it's the 1st week of the season. and I hope you are right

But no other nba teams look remotely close to Lakers. They are not only stacked at every position. Every single of their players look confident like never before.

They didn't look unbeatable against Denver.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
They didn't look unbeatable against Denver.

The Lakers played probably the worst they could and still won.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 09:19 PM

No excuses, right sir?

Allanon
11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
No excuses, right sir?

Yes sir. It was a terribly bad game for the Lakers.

No excuse, just trying to say the Lakers played horrible but still won, which is kind of scary in my mind for opposing teams.

Like, if you can't beat them when they're horrible, how are you going to beat them when they're on?

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes sir. It was a terribly bad game for the Lakers.

No excuse, just trying to say the Lakers played horrible but still won, which is kind of scary in my mind for opposing teams.

Like, if you can't beat them when they're horrible, how are you going to beat them when they're on?

Basketball is a strange game, it's a game of ".4's", and "Thirty point deficit's turned into leads". I've seen stacked teams get beat by sound teams. But, your point is recognized and took into account. They certainly look like the odds on favorites at this point, whether they play bad or good.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Either have the Spurs.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 09:32 PM
For me Hornets look damn good, and so do the Rockets. When the Jazz get Deron back they will fight for the top 4 seed too but...

Lakers do looks the best, although Bynum is 'struggling', i dont think he will average 15 ppg anyway, because they dont need him to - his main value will be coming in and blocking shots and protecting the rim - which is what the Lakers were missing last year.

Matchman
11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
the Rockets played horrible too and they still won.
btw, as much as i hate the Mavs, they are a real team

Matchman
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
For me Hornets look damn good, and so do the Rockets. When the Jazz get Deron back they will fight for the top 4 seed too but...

Lakers do looks the best, although Bynum is 'struggling', i dont think he will average 15 ppg anyway, because they dont need him to - his main value will be coming in and blocking shots and protecting the rim - which is what the Lakers were missing last year.

for the contract Bynum is getting, i think the Lakers want to get more from him than just blocking shots. u can get a center specialized in defense with MLE money (Diop)

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't care what Bynum thinks, he has his money now. I'd consider bringing him off with Lamar, just as an experiment (If they haven't tried this already).

Allanon
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't care what Bynum thinks, he has his money now. I'd consider bringing him off with Lamar, just as an experiment (If they haven't tried this already).

I think the Lakers would consider bringing Bynum off the bench except that the Lakers interior D is pretty terrible with Pau in the middle.

tlongII
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
The Spurs have absolutely no depth. None.

tlongII
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
It will take longer than I hoped for the Blazers to gel.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
It will take longer than I hoped for the Blazers to gel.

The problem with the Blazers is not that they haven't gelled. Their problem is they don't have a ballhog who wants to be "The Man". As good as Roy is, he defers too much.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I think the Lakers would consider bringing Bynum off the bench except that the Lakers interior D is pretty terrible with Pau in the middle.

Bynum coming off the bench doesn't mean he cannot play substantial minutes.

Roxsfan
11-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Add on...

-Boston looks like they won't be as focused in regular season, it is typical champs protocol (especially on road).

-Sixers are good, but they are going to have to calibrate that offense and get used to each other. Young is a baller and will be an x-factor for their success this season.

-Rockets are well balanced, but any day now an injury will hit Yao or McGrady.

-As many predicted, Marion is not utilized very well offensively on the Miami team. He has barely taken any shots. Whoever got him first round in fantasy should be ashamed of their selves.

blah, blah, fucking blah, blah.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Bynum coming off the bench doesn't mean he cannot play substantial minutes.

That could work. I think with the money the Lakers are paying him, Bynum's going to get at least 25 minutes which will increase to about 35 or so as the season continues and he'll get mixed in with the starters and the bench.

He is struggling right now, he's still dealing with rust and conditioning and probably won't round into form until December.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
That could work. I think with the money the Lakers are paying him, Bynum's going to get at least 25 minutes which will increase to about 35 or so as the season continues and he'll get mixed in with the starters and the bench.

He is struggling right now, he's still dealing with rust and conditioning and probably won't round into form until December.

And in your opinion, what would be the best way to solve this issue as fast as possible?

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
And in your opinion, what would be the best way to solve this issue as fast as possible?

Throw the bitch into the fire and let him burn it off.

ducks
11-02-2008, 10:07 PM
blazers are longer and better then I thought
but they suck on the road
I doubt they make the playoffs
oden has played a hole 33 games since highschool!

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Throw the bitch into the fire and let him burn it off.

I'd bring him off the bench and dangle the incentive in his face.

ducks
11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
LAKERS want homecourt thru playoffs
phil played preseason and first few games like it

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
LAKERS want homecourt thru playoffs
phil played preseason and first few games like it

True, I think he didn't fancy playing in Boston. I wouldn't have either, but such is life. But altering the lineup is only to promote team success, having someone come off isn't an indication that we may lose games because of it.

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd bring him off the bench and dangle the incentive in his face.

That would work as well. Bynum does have one problem that I've seen and that is complacency. He doesn't push himself until somebody doubts/disrespects him.

1) Back in the draft, everybody said he would be a failure in the NBA so he worked his ass off and lost like 20 pounds.

2) Kobe disses him and he comes in ready to play.

3) This year, he's pre-ordained so he's not had that fire yet.

He's young so he gets a semi-pass but benching him would give him some motivation. Bynum's a gamer but he needs motivation right now at this age.

Problem is, the Lakers are thin at Power Forward (real power forwards, not Radmanovic/Luke). They have Pau and Odom and possibly Powell. If you shift Pau to Center, you have nobody but Odom at Power Forward. If Turiaf was still here, Bynum might be coming off the bench.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
That would work as well. Bynum does have one problem that I've seen and that is complacency. He doesn't push himself until somebody doubts/disrespects him.

1) Back in the draft, everybody said he would be a failure in the NBA so he worked his ass off and lost like 20 pounds.

2) Kobe disses him and he comes in ready to play.

3) This year, he's pre-ordained so he's not had that fire yet.

He's young so he gets a semi-pass but benching him would give him some motivation. Bynum's a gamer but he needs motivation right now at this age.

That is the trend, which is an underlying reason for my thoughts on bringing him off, but aside from that, I think showcasing him a bit with Lamar will get him more comfortable in the post. Why am I making suggestions to improve the Lakers?

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Why am I making suggestions to improve the Lakers?

Because you secretly like the Lakers hahah.

Lakers can't bring Bynum off the bench because they are thin at skilled Power Forwards, they have a bunch of tweeners so they can't afford to shift Pau to Center. This was the biggest problem with Turiaf leaving.

Spur-Addict
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Because you secretly like the Lakers hahah.

Lakers can't bring Bynum off the bench because they are thin at skilled Power Forwards, they have a bunch of tweeners so they can't afford to shift Pau to Center. This was the biggest problem with Turiaf leaving.

If you knew me in person, you wouldn't think this. It has to deal mainly with one of best friends being a huge Laker fan.

Damn, Mihm gets no love. :lol

Allanon
11-02-2008, 10:24 PM
If you knew me in person, you wouldn't think this. It has to deal mainly with one of best friends being a huge Laker fan.

Damn, Mihm gets no love. :lol

Hahah.

Yeah, Mihm gets no love but he's actually been pretty damn solid this year.

I'm outta here for the night, have fun guys.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 10:38 PM
for the contract Bynum is getting, i think the Lakers want to get more from him than just blocking shots. u can get a center specialized in defense with MLE money (Diop)

I didnt mean fumble passes and not be able to average 5 PPG in the summer league - just that he doesnt need to put up 20-10 like he probably could if he was on a less stacked team. He will still draw doubles and average 12-14 PPG and 10+ boards. They have to remember theyre still paying him in terms of potential rather than out an out production straight off the bat.

tlongII
11-02-2008, 10:39 PM
The problem with the Blazers is not that they haven't gelled. Their problem is they don't have a ballhog who wants to be "The Man". As good as Roy is, he defers too much.

I disagree. I don't think that's a problem at all. Certainly Roy's style of leadership is much different than Kobe's, but I think it can be just as effective on our team.

Kai
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Nuggets did not look good either. The point is, they looked average playing a team that wasn't even playing that well. They didn't look absolutely unstoppable like other members on the board seem to think they have so far. Yes, in their other two games they did, but it's only 3 games into the season and who knows what things will look like after 82.

sook
11-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Yao
Artest
Brooks
Landry
Barry

lineup build close to a 18 point lead whenever they are in the game

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
The Nuggets D is a hell of a lot better without Camby, but their rebounding sucks without him.

The Nuggets offense stinks thus far but it will come around and they will win 17 straight now :drunk :lol

Killakobe81
11-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I disagree. I don't think that's a problem at all. Certainly Roy's style of leadership is much different than Kobe's, but I think it can be just as effective on our team.

It's not a question of leadership per se ...I think Roy is a great leader and is developing as a closer ...But he is not at the Kobe Lebron Pierce CP3 lDWill level yet ...

Killakobe81
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
My thoughts ...Raptors have been most pleasant surprise in EAST

Drose is 4 real ...Bulls 1 deal away from being a top contender
The return of Wade/Heat has been GREATLY exaggerated so far ...
SHAQ looks better than last year but no explosion left ....Barnes was nice pickup
Hornets, Lakers ROX best of the WEST
OKC will be tough at home Westbrook is not far behind Rose ...
Lebron stll has crunchtime jumper/FT issues but he is the most amazing athlete in NBA
Kobe still the best closer ...Lakers are deep
Oden has too much hype so do Blazers ...
Something is not quite right in DEnver & Dallas talent but defense and execution are shaky ....
I may need to buy the leaguepass! =)

Lake_show
11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Lakers upcoming

Sun 09 vs Houston
Tue 11 @ Dallas
Wed 12 @ New Orleans
Fri 14 vs Detroit
Tue 18 vs Chicago
Thu 20 @ Phoenix

Get through undefeated?