PDA

View Full Version : Suns’ transformation won’t come fast

ducks
11-02-2008, 09:48 PM
PHOENIX – The whistle blew and the Phoenix Suns rolled their eyes. They had run into training camp only to find a traffic cop standing in their way. Terry Porter walked into the middle of their scrimmages. He told them to slow down. He directed them where to go. Two weeks into the preseason and, already, a handful of the Suns had tired of that damn whistle.

“Next time,” one player muttered under his breath, “I’m just going to run him over.”

For the better part of five seasons, the Suns had their fun. Only one word mattered in their huddle: Go. Freedom reigned above all else. They launched their threes and they ran, ran, ran. They won games and fans, and the NBA was better for having them.

No longer, though, are these Mike D’Antoni’s Seven Seconds (or less) Suns, and that was evident Thursday. They spotted Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets nine points, sprayed the ball all over the floor and generally looked unsure of themselves. By game’s end, they had totaled 24 turnovers, nearly double what they averaged last season, more than enough to cement their fate with a 108-95 loss. That this happened in their home opener with the Hornets not only missing their starting center, Tyson Chandler, but also losing sharp-shooting guard Peja Stojakovic in the early moments of the fourth quarter, made the performance all the more frustrating.

Afterward, Steve Nash stood in front of his locker and said, “None of us, I think, are quite sure what tempo we’re going to play at.”

Nash wasn’t complaining as much as he was stating the obvious. Still, nine months ago, who would have imagined one of the game’s greatest playmakers needing to search for his team’s identity?

Much has happened in those nine months. Suns GM Steve Kerr, encouraged by D’Antoni, traded Shawn Marion to the Miami Heat for Shaquille O’Neal midway through last season. By then, Kerr had already begun to question the team’s defensive flaws. The Suns went on to lose to their longtime tormenter, the San Antonio Spurs, in the first round of the playoffs. D’Antoni considered Kerr too meddlesome; Kerr thought D’Antoni too stubborn. Unwilling to submit to his boss’ demand to add a defensive-minded assistant to his staff, D’Antoni left for New York.

Kerr chose Porter, a former Spurs teammate, as D’Antoni’s replacement, shouldering him with perhaps the greatest coaching challenge in the NBA: Change the culture of an already successful franchise, and do it on the fly in the rugged Western Conference.

Preseason injuries have already slowed the process, and the Suns’ opening schedule won’t help them. In the first four weeks, they play the Spurs, Hornets, Portland Trail Blazers (twice), Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers.

Nights like Thursday will test the relationship of these Suns and their new coach. Porter was a heady and respected point guard during his day, but this is only his third season leading a staff. He’ll also need time to search through his roster, which includes a few stubborn veterans. While D’Antoni kept his rotation short, Porter used 11 players against the Hornets, even turning to Louis Amundson for a stretch in the second quarter.

“It’s still going to be a learning experience for me,” Porter said.

In spite of the initial whistle-happy transition, sources say the Suns started to warm to Porter as he loosened the reins toward the end of the preseason. After they beat the Spurs in Wednesday’s opener, picking-and-rolling them to death and getting key defensive stops in the fourth quarter, Grant Hill joked, “We out-San Antonioed San Antonio.”

The problem: The Spurs have been out-San Antonio-ing teams for more than a decade now. The Suns did it for a night. The Hornets came to town Thursday, and two minutes into the game, Shaq was turning his back on Paul, letting the point guard run up his jersey for a layup. The Suns can install all the new schemes they want, but they can’t escape this fact: Nash, Stoudemire and O’Neal are all poor defenders.

To lessen the pressure on the Suns’ defense, Porter has tried to control the pace at which they play. That means cutting back the number of quick shots. His motto: If you want to run, get a stop.

“A good shot to me is wide open, non-contested,” Porter said. “If that comes in five seconds or 20 seconds doesn’t matter.”

These Suns, however, are used to playing free and loose, and that’s how Nash became a two-time MVP. Shackle him and you lose what makes him so good, you lose his ability to improvise. “I don’t like what they’re doing,” said one Western Conference scout. “They could end up marginalizing Steve.”

Porter is smart and he’ll make a good coach. Even skeptics agree the Suns have long needed someone to hold Stoudemire accountable. Porter appears up to the task. Already, he’s drawn two technicals in his first two games. D’Antoni had that many all of last season.

But if the Suns’ new coach hasn’t learned now, he will soon. At some point, he and Nash will have to strike a balance. Ironically, Porter used to occasionally grouse about the Spurs’ offense under Gregg Popovich, saying the team needed to push the ball more. Once, Porter ended a 3-on-1 break by pulling up for a 3-pointer. He looked over to see Popovich burying his head in his hands.

So there stood Porter Thursday, eight years later, barking at Raja Bell for forcing a shot.

“I tried worrying about what’s a good shot and what’s a bad shot in training camp, and that didn’t work out too well for me,” Bell said after the game. “So I’m just going to shoot when I feel it’s a good look and if that’s not what he wants, he’ll tell me.”

Few Suns have looked more lost in the offense these first two games. Bell took just four shots against the Spurs and only two in Thursday’s first half. He scored 13 points in the second half, but that didn’t mask his frustration.

“I’m not a figure-it-out guy,” he said. “You tell me what you want, I’ll try to give it to you.

“I guess I didn’t know tonight.”

Thursday was just one night, but there will be more. No one expected this to be easy. For better or worse, these Suns now have someone telling them where to go. What direction they take remains to be seen.

lefty
11-02-2008, 10:58 PM
How' bout changing the title to : " Suns' title will never come "

The Franchise
11-03-2008, 10:17 AM
They are already crying 3 games in ? This is going to be a long season for Sun fans.

nashty
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
They are already crying 3 games in ? This is going to be a long season for Sun fans.

I find it funny that everything a sun player or fan says is considered as crying. I can't really see where in the article anyone is crying about anything. Most basketball fans know the suns are going to go through some growing pains as they adapt to a new style of basketball. As of now they have started the season 2 - 1 playing against three west playoff teams (Spurs, Hornets and Blazers). As a suns fan, I just want them to stay afloat for the first half of the season while they all come together and learn the new system. After that, they can worry about securing a playoff spot and entering the playoffs in better shape than in years past.

JMarkJohns
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I find it funny that everything a sun player or fan says is considered as crying.

I consider it pathetic that everything a Suns player or fan says is generally crying.

Porter needs to stop this. It's carry over from D'Antoni and it's a detriment moving forward. No more excuses. Make your own luck, damn it!

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
How' bout changing the title to : " Suns' title will never come "

That's cold man. True, but cold. :stirpot:

pauls931
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I am a bit concerned that the new system will hold back Nash. It looks like his assists are way down already. BTW, where's the love?

JMarkJohns
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
What love? From whom?

duncan228
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Suns are shifting gears in first full season with Shaq in the middle (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/paul_forrester/11/03/suns.notes/)
Paul Forrester

With the Suns having won at least 54 games in each of the last four seasons, the decision to put the brakes on an offense designed to shoot in seven seconds or less has struck more than a few observers as unnecessary tinkering.

But to general manager Steve Kerr, the shift in gears to a more conventional attack, along with a renewed focus on the defensive end, was the only way the Suns would keep pace with their Western Conference rivals.

"I loved the old style," Kerr, who was hired in June 2007, told SI.com. "I really had no intention of changing anything, but it became apparent as we went through the course of last season that teams caught on that we were very vulnerable inside. We were getting pounded by the bigger teams, by the Lakers and the Spurs. We needed to add some size and some girth inside if we were going to compete because we had faltered in the playoffs against the bigger teams [before], and we could see that coming [again]. At that point, we made the decision to make the trade for Shaq."

While Kerr says both the front office and the coaching staff were unanimous in their desire to acquire more size, Shaquille O'Neal's addition before last season's trade deadline robbed Phoenix of the advantage former coach Mike D'Antoni pressed -- the ability to run past teams that weren't geared to play the Suns' style in a single-game setting.

With their offensive rhythm thrown off-kilter, the Suns, who had a .698 winning percentage before the trade, lost six of their first nine games with Shaq before recovering to go 15-5 down the stretch. A five-game, first-round playoff loss to the Spurs further illustrated the Suns' struggles to incorporate Shaq while offering little evidence that his presence strengthened their defense.

"Once we made that decision [to trade for Shaq], I saw a lot of things defensively that I felt we needed to change," Kerr said. "We had to get better against the pick-and-roll. That is really the staple of your defense because that's what everybody runs offensively.

"When Mike decided to leave [for the Knicks], I wanted to bring in a coach who could implement those changes, and Terry [Porter] was the right guy for me."

A former teammate of Kerr's in San Antonio, Porter impressed his new boss with a blend of modesty and confidence, and a willingness to run the type of defense that the GM envisioned.

"What we're doing differently now is sending everything baseline and sideline rather than toward the middle," Kerr said. "We're funneling everything toward Shaq and [rookie first-round pick] Robin Lopez and Amaré [Stoudemire] down on the baseline. We're cutting off angles."

That's an awful lot to place on the shoulders of the 36-year-old Shaq (who hasn't played more than 55 games in five years), especially with the Suns' plans to limit his games and minutes. Which is why this Phoenix team intends to utilize a rotation deeper than the seven or eight D'Antoni regularly favored. In the Suns' first three games, Stoudemire was the only player to average more than 34 minutes.

"The one thing we haven't been able to do in recent years is rest our older players," Kerr said. "We probably ran Grant Hill and Steve Nash into the ground a little bit last year. With the five new players we've added, we feel like we're much deeper than we've been in the past. Now we're more capable of managing Shaq's games and Grant's minutes and Steve's minutes. We should be much fresher going into the playoffs."

That, of course, assumes they get there, which is no sure thing for a team undergoing a drastic identity change. Perhaps that is why Kerr expects the season to be more of a process than an abrupt turn.

"Maybe [our mantra] will be 12 seconds or less," he said.