PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Republicans highlight Wright in last-minute ad

ploto
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
The Republican Party of Pennsylvania launched a last-minute television ad that calls attention to Barack Obama's relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

A new ad from Republicans in Pennsylvania highlights Barack Obama's relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

"If you think you could ever vote for Barack Obama, consider this: Obama chose as his spiritual leader this man," the ad's narrator says before clips of Wright's controversial statements are shown.

"Does that sound like someone who should be president?" the ad asks.

The retired pastor's ties to Obama became an issue during the primary season after controversial clips of Wright's sermons were circulated and widely discussed on the Internet and on television.

Obama later condemned Wright's remarks and said he would have left his church if his pastor had not retired and had not acknowledged making comments that "deeply offended people."

Sen. John McCain has repeatedly said he does not believe Obama's relationship to Wright should be an issue -- to the ire of some Republicans who feel it raises questions about the Illinois senator's judgment.

Gov. Sarah Palin appeared to suggest last month that Wright is a fair issue to raise, but said ultimately it is McCain's decision.

"[Obama] sat in the pews for 20 years and heard Rev. Wright say some things that most people would find a bit concerning. But again that is John McCain's call," Palin told reporters.

The state GOP did not release the extent of the ad buy, but defended airing it.

"We feel that it is necessary that the American people remember that Obama sat in a church and listened to this man preach hate for many, many years," said a statement on its Web site. "What does that say about his judgment? Do we want the next president of the United States to have spent years listening to hateful rhetoric without having the good judgment to walk out?"

The ad was paid for by the Republican Federal Committee of Pennsylvania and was not authorized by the McCain campaign.

McCain and Palin have barnstormed Pennsylvania in recent weeks as they try to win the state's 21 electoral votes. Obama leads McCain by 7 points in Pennsylvania, 51 to 44 percent, according to CNN's latest poll of state polls.

Earlier Sunday, Democratic VP candidate Sen. Joe Biden condemned the "politics of division" at a rally interrupted by protesters.

"We can't move past the politics of division unless after this election is over, if God willing we win, we reach out to the very people out in the outer parking lot," he said, calling out the protesters at the Tallahassee, Florida, event.

"We've got to reach out, we've got to end this. Somebody's got to be big enough to stand up and end this," he said...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/02/campaign.wrap/index.html

tp2021
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
"[Obama] sat in the pews for 20 years and heard Rev. Wright say some things that most people would find a bit concerning. But again that is John McCain's call," Palin told reporters.She's goin' rogue!

boutons_
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
McNasty can't manage his own campaign let alone manage the Exec.

hitmanyr2k
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, if the McCain camp played up the Reverend Wright controversy then that would have highlighted Obama going to church and undercut the "he's a muslin" rumors swirling around out there. He can't be a Christian and Muslim at the same time so they probably thought the Muslim/terrorist angle played better than the nutjob pastor.

CubanMustGo
11-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Just saw the ad during Sunday Night Football (or whatever they call it these days).

SnakeBoy
11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
From a PUMA site...

I am in South Jersey and we get NY and Philly TV..the Philly stations are shwoing the Reverend Wright ” G damned America ” commerical every other commerical almost..I have seen it 4 times in the past hour!!..So it is infiltrating Pa and Jersey!!

I love it!!

I have even donated!!..seriously!!

It is nice to say..I see my money going to good use!!

If you are so inclined..here is a link to donate..they are flooding the PA airwaves!! And South Jersey too!!

**I am going to keep posting this admin in case others want to donate to keep these ads going!!

https://secure.yourpatriot.com/ou/tnrt/the_national_republican_trust_/donate.aspx

PS anyone can copy my post and post it other places..I hope others donate and keep these ads going in Pa ..they are very effective!!

Oh and I am a former Elected dem delegate from Florida..I am a snow bird..
and I do not work in any way with the PAC I posted..I am PUMA!!..But i want to see Oblah..lose PA!!..and Possibly Jersey!!

Bartleby
11-02-2008, 11:17 PM
No surprise here, except that they waited so long to go this route. It won't really matter though. McCain is going down in flames and much of the GOP is going with him. So much for "reaching across the aisle" and all that other non-partisan Maverick bullshit.

ElNono
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm in central Jersey and yet to see the ad...
Also, anybody thinking Jersey is going anything but blue is high on something...
I just wonder why bring this shit now... Looks kinda late with two days to go...
I think if they wanted this to have some kind of impact they should have played it a week ago or so... weird.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Weird. They should be looping the audio of Obama wanting to bankrupt the coal industry over and over. If they just did that between now and Tuesday in Pennsylvania and Virginia, they'd lock down both of those states for McCain.

cool hand
11-03-2008, 01:04 AM
deaf ears, baby. this election is over.

101A
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Meh.

They should be running ads about Obama saying he would bankrupt the coal industry. That would be more effective (and pertinent).

implacable44
11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
and about time they threw the Jeremiah Wright thing out there again - and they should be running ad upon ad on his coal industry comments and the things he said about the constitution... being that 1 in 8 voters is still undecided or likely to change their minds.

AZLouis
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Mix'em both...

Obama: blah blah bankrupt coal industry

End with Wright: God Bless America?! God DAMN America!

TheMadHatter
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
"don't throw stones if you live in a glasshouse"

McCain has had far more serious associations with actual known criminals.

SpursFanFirst
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I saw this ad last night. I thought it could have been effective...too bad they waited to air it.

JoeChalupa
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I've seen that twice this morning.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM

ha hah ha ha ha -- that is a Streeeeeeeeetch

implacable44
11-03-2008, 12:31 PM

ha hah ha ha ha -- that is a Streeeeeeeeetch -- wait unless you are including Charlie Rangel, Barney Franks, Dodd and especially Ted Kennedy

boutons_
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
In comparison, how many sewer-level ads has HUSSEIN done about Gordon Liddy or Keating?

iow, McSame is more of the same lying, divisive, character-assassination shit we've been getting from Repugs for 30 years.

LnGrrrR
11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, if the McCain camp played up the Reverend Wright controversy then that would have highlighted Obama going to church and undercut the "he's a muslin" rumors swirling around out there. He can't be a Christian and Muslim at the same time so they probably thought the Muslim/terrorist angle played better than the nutjob pastor.

NEVER deny the power of doublethink.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Weird. They should be looping the audio of Obama wanting to bankrupt the coal industry over and over. If they just did that between now and Tuesday in Pennsylvania and Virginia, they'd lock down both of those states for McCain.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
oh, and

YOURRR CHICKENSSSS have come HOMEEEEEEE to ROOOOOOOooOOooOOooOOooossttt

ChumpDumper
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, it didn't work at all before, so they should definitely try again.

PixelPusher
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, it didn't work at all before, so they should definitely try again.

They just need to blow into the dog whistle harder.

Creepn
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Bring out the "whitey" tape!!

sontinospurs
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
what about McCain's association with Hagee? He's said some awful things himself and is only now doing damage control. Unbelievable. Glad Tuesday's coming!

George Gervin's Afro
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
The Republican Party of Pennsylvania launched a last-minute television ad that calls attention to Barack Obama's relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

A new ad from Republicans in Pennsylvania highlights Barack Obama's relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

"If you think you could ever vote for Barack Obama, consider this: Obama chose as his spiritual leader this man," the ad's narrator says before clips of Wright's controversial statements are shown.

"Does that sound like someone who should be president?" the ad asks.

The retired pastor's ties to Obama became an issue during the primary season after controversial clips of Wright's sermons were circulated and widely discussed on the Internet and on television.

Obama later condemned Wright's remarks and said he would have left his church if his pastor had not retired and had not acknowledged making comments that "deeply offended people."

Sen. John McCain has repeatedly said he does not believe Obama's relationship to Wright should be an issue -- to the ire of some Republicans who feel it raises questions about the Illinois senator's judgment.

Gov. Sarah Palin appeared to suggest last month that Wright is a fair issue to raise, but said ultimately it is McCain's decision.

"[Obama] sat in the pews for 20 years and heard Rev. Wright say some things that most people would find a bit concerning. But again that is John McCain's call," Palin told reporters.

The state GOP did not release the extent of the ad buy, but defended airing it.

"We feel that it is necessary that the American people remember that Obama sat in a church and listened to this man preach hate for many, many years," said a statement on its Web site. "What does that say about his judgment? Do we want the next president of the United States to have spent years listening to hateful rhetoric without having the good judgment to walk out?"

The ad was paid for by the Republican Federal Committee of Pennsylvania and was not authorized by the McCain campaign.

McCain and Palin have barnstormed Pennsylvania in recent weeks as they try to win the state's 21 electoral votes. Obama leads McCain by 7 points in Pennsylvania, 51 to 44 percent, according to CNN's latest poll of state polls.

Earlier Sunday, Democratic VP candidate Sen. Joe Biden condemned the "politics of division" at a rally interrupted by protesters.

"We can't move past the politics of division unless after this election is over, if God willing we win, we reach out to the very people out in the outer parking lot," he said, calling out the protesters at the Tallahassee, Florida, event.

"We've got to reach out, we've got to end this. Somebody's got to be big enough to stand up and end this," he said...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/02/campaign.wrap/index.html

It's good to see that they are sticking to the issues:rolleyes