PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Monthly Planner: November 2008

duncan228
11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Spurs monthly planner: November 2008 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_monthly_planner_November_2008.html)
Express-News

Staff writer Jeff McDonald looks at games, faces and foes to watch during the Spurs’ month to come:

Clear your calendar

Nov. 14: vs. Houston. The last time Brent Barry attempted a shot at the AT&T Center, Derek Fisher fouled him. Or didn’t. Depends on whom you ask. Now, the former Spurs guard will be back in town as a member of the Rockets. It ought to be a flux capacitor kind of night.

Set your TiVo

Nov. 11: vs. New York. Normally, a visit from a team that won 23 games the season before isn’t much of a draw. Now that Mike D’Antoni is running the show, however, the Knicks are at least worth watching. They’re liable to score 120 points in any given game ... of course, they could also give up 130, but that’s part of the fun.

Catch a movie instead

Nov. 17: at L.A. Clippers. True, L.A.’s other team added Los Angeles native Baron Davis in the offseason. And yes, the Spurs haven’t exactly had the greatest luck in the Staples Center of late. But these are still the Clippers — and they don’t have Elton Brand and Corey Maggette anymore. Go see “Madagascar 2,” and maybe catch the highlights of this one on SportsCenter.

Spur of the month

Tim Duncan. Speaking of flux capacitors. With Manu Ginobili sidelined, the Spurs have been leaning on Duncan to carry more of the scoring load than he has in recent seasons. Duncan had 32 points against Phoenix — his career high for a season opener — and followed that up with 27 against Portland. Though it’s probably a bit much to expect Duncan to average 29.5 throughout November, you can expect nice, hefty scoring numbers each night.

Foe focus

Allen Iverson, Nuggets. Iverson is 33 years old, injury prone and clearly on the downside of his career. That said, the little engine that can’t quite win a championship is always worth the price of admission. Denver comes to town Nov. 19, and it will be Iverson’s only appearance at the AT&T Center this season — unless, of course, he gets dealt to a contender at some point before the trade deadline.

Somebody card these kids

This month should provide a prime opportunity for Spurs fans to get an up-close look at the 2015 All-Star team. The top three picks in the June draft — Miami’s Michael Beasley (Nov. 7), Chicago’s Derrick Rose (Nov. 26) and Memphis’ O.J. Mayo (Nov. 28) — are all scheduled for November stops in San Antonio. You can say you saw them when.

The crystal ball

The Spurs are still missing Ginobili, which obviously hurts. The schedule, however, sets up nicely for the Spurs to at least stay above water. Ten of their 14 games are against teams that didn’t make the playoffs last season. They should be able to win most of those. Call it a 9-5 month, and count the days until Ginobili returns.

mystargtr34
11-02-2008, 10:52 PM
A.I isnt that exciting.

Im looking forward to the Mavs game, Rockets - and the Heat for D-Wade and Beasley.

Spurs Brazil
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Catch a movie instead

Nov. 17: at L.A. Clippers. True, L.A.’s other team added Los Angeles native Baron Davis in the offseason. And yes, the Spurs haven’t exactly had the greatest luck in the Staples Center of late. But these are still the Clippers — and they don’t have Elton Brand and Corey Maggette anymore. Go see “Madagascar 2,” and maybe catch the highlights of this one on SportsCenter.

I hope McDonald also goes to the movie this day so we don't need to read his terrible articles

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Iverson is not injury prone. He was only below 60 games once in his career.

urunobili
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Just in case Mc Donald is reading this... thank you for making me lose 8 min of my life :flipoff

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Denver game just got lots more interesting... and tougher. Melo must be the happiest man in the League right now.

hater
11-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Nov. 14: vs. Houston. The last time Brent Barry attempted a shot at the AT&T Center, Derek Fisher fouled him. Or didn’t.

I remember well that Barry got fouled but not while attempting a shot.

Allanon
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Spurs have a great November and December schedule for Manu to be out. They's gots to capitalize.

honestfool84
11-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Spurs have a great November and December schedule for Manu to be out. They's gots to capitalize.

why is it that a LAKERS FAN is the most positive poster on this particular post?

i find that kinda ironic.

SequSpur
11-03-2008, 07:08 PM

0 and 2.