PDA

View Full Version : Mix up our starting lineup?

angelbelow
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
perhaps im reacting to the two close games we just lost but maybe we should start mason. i like his defensive intensity and finley has been playing well. maybe we should bench bowen?

i know we had this dicussion earlier in the summer but maybe instead of starting udoka we can start mason. not sure what this does to our bench but it will certainly give duncan and parker a consistent shooter.

Thoughts?

jay014
11-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Bowen sucks! should've joined Robert Horry this year. It will be a matter of time before the bruuuuce chant turns into boooooooooooo

timvp
11-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Way too early to bury Bowen. Maybe a few more weeks of bad play then perhaps begin to plot ways to reduce his role on the team. But 40 minutes isn't enough time to figure out if he does or doesn't have any gas left in the tank.

And if Bowen is done, then until Manu comes back I'd likely be in favor of starting Udoka in his place. The Spurs need Mason off the bench to provide a scoring punch.

angelbelow
11-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Way too early to bury Bowen. Maybe a few more weeks of bad play then perhaps begin to plot ways to reduce his role on the team. But 40 minutes isn't enough time to figure out if he does or doesn't have any gas left in the tank.

And if Bowen is done, then until Manu comes back I'd likely be in favor of starting Udoka in his place. The Spurs need Mason off the bench to provide a scoring punch.

i actually dont think bowen is done, im just suggesting that we get a little more offense in the starting line up. but the con would be our bench struggling to score esp with bowen and udoka being 2 of our wings.

mrspurs
11-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Agreed

DROB4EVER
11-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I like Mason of the bench till Manu gets back. With Manu back, Mason should start at the 2 with Finley spending most of his time at the 3 where he should be able to take advantage of his speed over most SFs.

Bowen is done, the spurs need to find their identity are they a defensive team or offensive, The D has be very bad and Bowen is giving us nothing on either side of the ball. He should play no more than 10mpg.

Give Hill Ian and Udoka most min of the bench followed by thomas and bonner mix Farmar in to give guys some rest on back to back nights.

We really need to look at a trade for a SF like Wright from Miami who isnt getting any burn and a Big like Williams from NJ. Both these guys can be had likely for little in return, vaughn and a second rounder sounds about right.

remingtonbo2001
11-03-2008, 09:29 AM
If Bowen is done, the Spurs are in some trouble.

Let's hope this is nothing more than a slow start.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
It may be too early to bury Bowen, and he is one of my favorite players, but I'm cautioning everyone that there IS reason to be concerned. I'm not talking about a 2 game body of work this season. I'm talking about watching him toward the latter part of last season and through the playoffs. If you're an honest Spur fan, you have to admit that there has been a noticeable decline in his footwork, defensive tenacity and 3-pt shooting. How much? That's yet to be determined.

Whatever the case, this is not an indictment on Bowen. This was to be expected. My disappointment is that the Spurs should've expected it and planned for it. At this moment, there's no suitable replacement SF solution on this roster. Don't say Udoka. He's a good defender, and a tough-minded competitor. However, he not long enough or athletic enough to handle the multiple defensive assignments Bowen has become famous for. Again, this is an indictment of Pop and R.C. that they would leave themselves vulnerable in this way.

After all, the time to invest in homeowner's insurance is not when the house is on fire.