PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember Maggie's?

J-Rock6X
11-03-2008, 01:17 AM
It was on San Pedro? It stayed open 24 hrs. a day and was a great place to just hang out and watch Spurs games. The atmosphere was fun and always upbeat. It was a huge place but cozy. Is there a place around that is like this that I don't know about? Can anyone name any places like this? Thanks!:flag:

marini martini
11-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I loved that place!!!:cry Specially since it was in my "Hood"!
didn't have too far to drive home!!!:toast St. Patty's Day green beer was the shitz!!!

There's plenty of "Sports Bars" around, but not with the same quality of food & ambiance!:depressed

cool hand
11-03-2008, 02:06 AM
you guys remember the train.

marini martini
11-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Yeah!!! In "Hipp's Bubble Room"!!!! WTF? Maggie's had a train?????? Guess I was too drunk to remember that one!:toast

J-Rock6X
11-03-2008, 02:53 AM
There's plenty of "Sports Bars" around, but not with the same quality of food & ambiance!:depressed

Yeah, I think Maggie's was one of a kind. It will be very hard to find another place like it. But I will keep looking! :flag:

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2008, 04:10 AM
so whats stopping from another 24hr joint establishment from operating again? AM curfews?

slacker77
11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I remember their chicken ranch nachos

ploto
11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Unfortunately towards the end, it was bad.

slacker77
11-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately towards the end, it was bad.

Agreed . Roaches and food just don't mix . They were probably always there , I just didn't see any until they were about to close .

BacktoBasics
11-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately towards the end, it was bad.It god bad at the end because of money. There was a partner that was to come in and help do some remodeling and updating of the place and the orignal owner got started...invested a ton of money in the deal...and the partner skipped out on him. Too much too soon and he couldn't recover so he had to close doors.

This place was one of the few regular places I hung out at. Chicken fried steak was great too. I probably spent 3 or 4 days a week there when I was in my 20's. Great food good drinks good staff great bartenders awesome atmosphere. This place was a complete package.

Taco
11-03-2008, 09:45 AM
yes and I remember this Maggie also......

k6FOCoL26SQ

Dex
11-03-2008, 10:00 AM
so whats stopping from another 24hr joint establishment from operating again? AM curfews?

Nothing, other than being a hard business to cater too. You gotta have your shit straight if you're gonna manage to pull in a big enough 2 A.M. crowd to justify staying open.

We have a number of places here in Austin called Kerbey Lane. All comfort food with quality ingredients, and kind of a hippy hangout. They stay open 24 hours and are definitely the best place to go for pancakes after a night on the town. It's sometimes hard to even get a table at that time of night.

Then again, this is Austin. You could throw a stone from your window and hit a drunk who wants pancakes at 2 in the morning.

fatsack
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
We have a number of places here in Austin called Kerbey Lane.

that place rocks.

I took Sunshine there last year...

Viva Las Espuelas
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
i must've caught this at the tail end 'cause the only thing good about this place was the beer and water.

ORION
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I've taken many of dates there in high school

Lebowski Brickowski
11-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Used to wait tables for a short time there about '98 or '99. Fun restaurant but I wouldn't let my family eat the food. That kitchen was not, shall we say -- clean...

However -- the fried mushrooms were mmmmmmmmmm

Dex
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
that place rocks.

I took Sunshine there last year...

Definitely so. I usually go to the one up north off of 183, but the original location on Kerbey definitely has its charms.

It's one of those places that is just as good for a date during the day/evening as it for a late-night drunken breakfast.

PakiDan
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I took quite a few dates there... good memories.

J-Rock6X
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Used to wait tables for a short time there about '98 or '99. Fun restaurant but I wouldn't let my family eat the food. That kitchen was not, shall we say -- clean...

:wow Wow! I would never have guessed. The place always looked nice and clean. But then again I never got back to the kitchen. The only thing we would really get there were beer and appetizers. I still miss that place though. :flag:

Duff McCartney
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Probably one of the best Spur memories I have there was during Game 6 of the WCF in 03. A couple of us were there and were pretty much bullshitting through three quarters because the Spurs were getting destroyed. Then the comeback was on when Steve Kerr hit his first 3. It was amazing. There was at most 9 of us sitting around a round table.

I remember timvp having his arm in a sling and him and kris going apeshit when Jax hit those three. It was a great time.

tp2021
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
This one?
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102520&highlight=maggie+gyllenhaal

Blake
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Agreed . Roaches and food just don't mix . They were probably always there , I just didn't see any until they were about to close .

Shootings outside the front door and good times don't really mix either.

Growing up, I ate my share of belgian waffles there for breakfast and dumped a quarter or two into the video games upstairs, mostly Dragon's Lair.

I went to middle school with the owner's son until he left for Clark where he went on to become a pretty darn good running back.

Destro
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I use to go to Maggies all the time in the mid-90's. The waitresses were hot and were very cool to hang out with. I use to love the potato soup

slacker77
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
[/QUOTE]

Growing up, I ate my share of belgian waffles there for breakfast and dumped a quarter or two into the video games upstairs, mostly Dragon's Lair.

I went to middle school with the owner's son until he left for Clark where he went on to become a pretty darn good running back.

Belgian waffles , hell yes! I had forgotten they had the best sunday morning breakfast buffet in town.

BacktoBasics
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I've had sex more than a few times in that gameroom.

SpursWoman
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I lost my high school letterman's jacket there. :(

Mark in Austin
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I lost my high school letterman's jacket there. :(

:lol :lol I wasn't expecting a letterman's jacket to be what was lost, given the direction this thread was headed in.

SpursWoman
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I know ... I was actually going to quote B2B when I posted that. :lol

Big P
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
The mushrooms were THE shit...but like Ploto said..it REALLY sucked towards the end.

samikeyp
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Probably one of the best Spur memories I have there was during Game 6 of the WCF in 03. A couple of us were there and were pretty much bullshitting through three quarters because the Spurs were getting destroyed. Then the comeback was on when Steve Kerr hit his first 3. It was amazing. There was at most 9 of us sitting around a round table.

I remember timvp having his arm in a sling and him and kris going apeshit when Jax hit those three. It was a great time.

True.

Some great GTG's were there, not to mention going from there to the airport in '03 after the Spurs beat the Lakers.

Duff McCartney
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
True.

Some great GTG's were there, not to mention going from there to the airport in '03 after the Spurs beat the Lakers.

I actually remember that airport GTG...sorta a GTG I guess. We weren't at Maggies we were at Wings N More and we met with the whole gang. I think my cousin still has a picture of it. I remember you being there.

Ocotillo
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Before there was Maggies, there was Reed's Red Derby. Trivia, sometime during the 70s the Rolling Stones while stopping on tour in San Antonio showed up and Reeds and had an impromtu concert or so I have been told.

BacktoBasics
11-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Before there was Maggies, there was Reed's Red Derby. Trivia, sometime during the 70s the Rolling Stones while stopping on tour in San Antonio showed up and Reeds and had an impromtu concert or so I have been told.
Stevie Ray Vaughn played there many times

Twisted_Dawg
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM

They played/partied upstairs after the 1976 concert.

Twisted_Dawg
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn played there many times

Before he got big, Stevie also used to play at some small club on Bitters I think called Teen Canteen? $5 to get in. I think his band at the time was called The Cobras.

Twisted_Dawg
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM

What was the name of that RB and the years played????

Sunshine
11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
What I remember most about Maggies was LJ & Kori singing karaoke.:hat

samikeyp
11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
What I remember most about Maggies was LJ & Kori singing karaoke.:hat

And Kris too.

SpursWoman
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
And Pseudo & Sequ mad because they couldn't cuss singing a Limp Bizkit song. :spin

Sunshine
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
And Pseudo & Sequ mad because they couldn't cuss singing a Limp Bizkit song. :spin

:lol