PDA

View Full Version : Can we get Harrington?

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Harrington is a 28-yr-old 6-9 PF with outside touch. Personally, I think he'd be a huge upgrade for our frontcourt. He's on the outs w/Nellie, and GS is in the hurt bag this year with Ellis's problems and is publicly shopping Harrington.

Trade Idea #1:
Bowen, Jacque Vaughn, and Bonner for Othella.
I love Bowen as much as anyone, but you've got to give something to get something, and GS needs someone who can play defense, plus he can shoot the 3. Also they're shallow at PG, so Vaughn could be mildly useful, and Bonner is tall and could fit well with Nellie Ball.

Trade Idea #2:
Manu straight up for Harrington. I know, I know, kills me too, but let's face facts about Manu's age (31 and not getting younger) and sturdiness (questionable). Nellie loves him some straight ballin' playmakers, and that's Manu. Of course they already have a smallish team, but then Nellie doesn't seem to mind that.

Both of these trades pass on the espn trade machine, btw.

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Manu for Al Harrington would NEVER happen..Manu is much too valuable to trade for an above average player like Harrington..

I've talked to a few Warrior fans, and they said they think the Warriors would actually take Oberto, Bonner and Vaughn for him, but we'd have to find a way to take back one of their bad contracts somehow..Nelly would definitely use a guy like Bonner, which would suck for the Warriors, obviously..I don't know if Harrington would be worth taking back some contracts..

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm, Oberto, Bonner and Vaughn works for me! I'd far rather part with them than Manu, obviously. I'm just not sure if Manu is "much too valuable" any more.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I thought about him too, once word got out that he's requested a trade. Even though Harrington's trade value is hurt by the announcement, I would imagine GS would get better offers than the "end-of-roster" garbage the Spurs would offer in your Trade Idea #1.

From someone with a username of ManuTastic, I'm surprised you'd even dare think of trading Manu at this point. At this point, I wouldn't trade Manu at all. He's got at least another 3-4 years of high-level play and he is still very much a superstar-level player. He's also our close-out killer, so you'd lose that if you traded him. That idea is out.

Overall, the problems with Harrington is he's got a hefty price tag and he's not a very good defender. (of course he's probably no worse a defender than Bonner is now). His trade value has obviously been damaged by his open desire to be traded, so perhaps that would work in favor of any team that wanted Harrington.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually talking myself into this idea more and more. He'd definitely be a frontline upgrade over Bonner and would give Pop greater roster versatility. I believe Pop could actually coach him into being a better defender because he was at Indiana. Acquiring him would ease the loss of the Spurs giving Scola away for practically nothing. If GS would bite on the first idea and the trade works financially, I would consider it.

urunobili
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Bonner, Oberto and Fin for him... then get Malik and Watkins as additional pieces...

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Manu for Al Harrington would NEVER happen..Manu is much too valuable to trade for an above average player like Harrington..

I've talked to a few Warrior fans, and they said they think the Warriors would actually take Oberto, Bonner and Vaughn for him, but we'd have to find a way to take back one of their bad contracts somehow..Nelly would definitely use a guy like Bonner, which would suck for the Warriors, obviously..I don't know if Harrington would be worth taking back some contracts..

I don't see why they'd want Oberto. He'd be buried on their bench. I'm not a big fan of Oberto's, so if they wanted him I would do it. However, I would beware of taking back any bad contracts. That would be a deal-breaker.

benefactor
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Manu straight up for Harrington.
I've started to develop a mental list of posters on this site whose posts I usually skip without reading because I'm pretty sure there won't much there worth considering. Welcome aboard.

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Even though Harrington's trade value is hurt by the announcement, I would imagine GS would get better offers than the "end-of-roster" garbage the Spurs would offer in your Trade Idea #1.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Manu at all. He's got at least another 3-4 years of high-level play and he is still very much a superstar-level player.

Bowen isn't "garbage." The other are, though.
I have to disagree with Manu having 3-4 years of high-level play left. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd be shocked if he's traded, but I am expecting a definite decline this year, and more in the next few years. He'll still have some awesome games, sure, they'll just be fewer and fewer. Of course I have no crystal ball, but mainly I just love the idea of getting Tim some help in the front court. Oberto and Kurt Thomas just aren't cutting it for me.

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I've started to develop a mental list of posters on this site whose posts I usually skip without reading because I'm pretty sure there won't much there worth considering. Welcome aboard.

Actually I think there's an ignore function on this board. See if you can mentally figure out how to use it.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Bowen isn't "garbage." The other are, though.
I have to disagree with Manu having 3-4 years of high-level play left. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd be shocked if he's traded, but I am expecting a definite decline this year, and more in the next few years. He'll still have some awesome games, sure, they'll just be fewer and fewer. Of course I have no crystal ball, but mainly I just love the idea of getting Tim some help in the front court. Oberto and Kurt Thomas just aren't cutting it for me.

My bad. I forgot about Bowen in Trade idea #1. You're right. I would never have referred to Bowen as garbage. I also know that Nellei would have no use for Bowen. He's better off staying here. I would, however, replace Bowen with Oberto in your scenario.

Killakobe81
11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
How can you trade Oberto you guysneed more size not less unless you go small ball and move Tim to his natural position Center may have to down the line anyway ...but i think key for SA is to develop a young PF with size and quickness to handle the Amare's, David west's, Dirks and maybe even Artest if he plays mins. there (if ROX resign him)
harrington is shortterm solution defense sucks and NO WAY id trade him for Manu if you do you BECOME less dangerous and i would LOVE to get you guys in the playoffs ...

honestfool84
Actually I think there's an ignore function on this board. See if you can mentally figure out how to use it.

you're stupid, and your ideas are stupid.
welcome aboard.

*adds to ignore list*

mrspurs
I thought about him too, once word got out that he's requested a trade. Even though Harrington's trade value is hurt by the announcement, I would imagine GS would get better offers than the "end-of-roster" garbage the Spurs would offer in your Trade Idea #1.

From someone with a username of ManuTastic, I'm surprised you'd even dare think of trading Manu at this point. At this point, I wouldn't trade Manu at all. He's got at least another 3-4 years of high-level play and he is still very much a superstar-level player. He's also our close-out killer, so you'd lose that if you traded him. That idea is out.

Overall, the problems with Harrington is he's got a hefty price tag and he's not a very good defender. (of course he's probably no worse a defender than Bonner is now). His trade value has obviously been damaged by his open desire to be traded, so perhaps that would work in favor of any team that wanted Harrington.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually talking myself into this idea more and more. He'd definitely be a frontline upgrade over Bonner and would give Pop greater roster versatility. I believe Pop could actually coach him into being a better defender because he was at Indiana. Acquiring him would ease the loss of the Spurs giving Scola away for practically nothing. If GS would bite on the first idea and the trade works financially, I would consider it.

I had said somewhere else we shouldnt go for another big who loves to score from beyond the arc. Then someone said he wanted out of GS because he wanted to play more under the rim. So I stood corrected and he would be upgrade from Fab,Matt and Kurt. (easy upgrade) My only fear is with his outside touch and Pops love for Bigs who can hit from beyond the arc, thats what will happen. Another Big who doesnt play his best under the back board.

mrspurs
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Bonner, Oberto and Fin for him... then get Malik and Watkins as additional pieces...

Not a bad choice of players to trade for Al. Your some true Spurs Fan ready to trade 2 of your starters and a backup. Bring back 2 scrubs. hahahaha....Trust me the world is better with you in here.:lol All for a player who is unproven in our lineup. Might as well yell lottery. hahahaha

benefactor
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Meh...I'm lazy. Plus there is the occasional outlandish statement that has comedic value. I'm sure you will oblige me at some point this season.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

:lol

mrspurs
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Bottom line is.....if we dont make a trade for a solid veteran big who starts and requires a double team. The spurs dont have enough. I for one will not sit until the FO makes up for the mistakes its made. Not ever.

m33p0
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Harrington is a 28-yr-old 6-9 PF with outside touch. Personally, I think he'd be a huge upgrade for our frontcourt. He's on the outs w/Nellie, and GS is in the hurt bag this year with Ellis's problems and is publicly shopping Harrington.

Trade Idea #1:
I love Bowen as much as anyone, but you've got to give something to get something, and GS needs someone who can play defense, plus he can shoot the 3. Also they're shallow at PG, so Vaughn could be mildly useful, and Bonner is tall and could fit well with Nellie Ball.

I don't see GS biting for this.

Trade Idea #2:
Manu straight up for Harrington. I know, I know, kills me too, but let's face facts about Manu's age (31 and not getting younger) and sturdiness (questionable). Nellie loves him some straight ballin' playmakers, and that's Manu. Of course they already have a smallish team, but then Nellie doesn't seem to mind that.

FUCK NO! the only reason this works is because Manu works for cheap.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Bottom line is.....if we dont make a trade for a solid veteran big who starts and requires a double team. The spurs dont have enough. I for one will not sit until the FO makes up for the mistakes its made. Not ever.

Suggestion Box

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I had said somewhere else we shouldnt go for another big who loves to score from beyond the arc. Then someone said he wanted out of GS because he wanted to play more under the rim. So I stood corrected and he would be upgrade from Fab,Matt and Kurt. (easy upgrade) My only fear is with his outside touch and Pops love for Bigs who can hit from beyond the arc, thats what will happen. Another Big who doesnt play his best under the back board.

That would be really significant if he said that. Either way, for him personally, it's good that he has both an inside and outside game.

With all the Harrington talk, my mind harks back to when Melvin Ely was here. He was a backup PF, but we never really got a good look at him. I wonder if he would've been a good keep? And why he wasn't retained?

m33p0
11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
That would be really significant if he said that. Either way, for him personally, it's good that he has both an inside and outside game.

With all the Harrington talk, my mind harks back to when Melvin Ely was here. He was a backup PF, but we never really got a good look at him. I wonder if he would've been a good keep? And why he wasn't retained?
FO took Ely just to keep him away from the Mavs (or the Suns. forgot which one).

xtremesteven33
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Harrington pros:

create his own shot, Long, shoot the 3, good post up, good rebounder

Harrington cons:

basketball IQ in question, not a very good defender, takes too many shots, not sure what his role would be with the Spurs.

velik_m
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Trade Idea #1:

I think you mixed up your Harringtons there...

j.r. haider
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
i've had him on my nba live team for two years straight.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Harrington pros:

create his own shot, Long, shoot the 3, good post up, good rebounder

Harrington cons:

basketball IQ in question, not a very good defender, takes too many shots, not sure what his role would be with the Spurs.

He's still young enough that he could be coached out of these bad habits. Harrington would instantly become the 2nd best big on the roster and would transform the 2nd unit, providing scoring, rebounding that Bonner can't do on a consistent basis.

Picture this:
Starting 5:
Parker
Mason
Duncan
Bowen
Thomas

2nd Unit:
Hill
Manu
Mahinmi
Harrington
Udoka

galvatron3000
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Trade Idea #1:

Trade Idea #2:

Never and number 2 makes no sense, Harrington doesn't equal half of what Manu brings stats or non stats. Spurs have no players to trade, maybe Bonner and some of the new guys but the Spurs may have expiring contracts or contracts worth taking for other teams plus some draft picks but they have to bring in a game changer or set the Spurs up financially to make a run at FA.

AA2120
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
we need a big with some quickness and speed...some one to guard the diaws, the wests, the odoms of the world..

Manufan909
11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
4. to 5.8 makes him seem superior to Fab in rebounding, but then you realize Fab has averaged 16 minutes for his career, while Al has averaged over 29. I'll admit he's a better scorer, though. I'd take him, losing Kurt, Bonner, and Vaughn.

urunobili
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Nellie loves KT and Fin... so KT, Fin and Bonner?

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't trade Harrington for Bonner straight up. A chucker with a bad attitude who plays no defense and chokes in the playoffs isn't a player I want on the Spurs.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't trade Harrington for Bonner straight up. A chucker with a bad attitude who plays no defense and chokes in the playoffs isn't a player I want on the Spurs.

I'm convinced. I suspected this guy had some warts. I just didn't know what they were.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I might trade Bonner straight up for him. I mean, we're talking Bonner here.......Matt Bonner.

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I might trade Bonner straight up for him. I mean, we're talking Bonner here.......Matt Bonner.At least Bonner doesn't complain if he gets benched. Plus his contract isn't nearly as bad.

Plus Pop needs a whipping boy. Better Bonner than Mahinmi or Hill :smokin

DROB4EVER
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Guy wouldnt fit in, poor defender and rebounder......very soft,

lefty
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM

+1

Harrington has a good offensive range, but that's it.
He doesn't fill bigger needs right now (rebounds and defense)

ManuTastic
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Bonner makes $3 mil/yr, Harrington makes $9mil. So let's get real anyway.

jay014
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
throw in Bowens 4 mil and Vaughns $$$ and it might work

jack sommerset
11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
:lol @ Bonner. Do you guys actually think Don Nelson would want Bowen,Bonner and Vaughn in his up and down systems. Freaken AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously offer up MANGOOOOOOO. It would be worth it all.

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:50 AM

Well one thing is for sure. He made a home in NO as a reliable backup. And NO isnt a sub-par team. Heck he even gave Timmy some problems only because Timmy already had his hands full guarding west,tyson and CP3.

Duncanoypi
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Trade Idea #1:

ok, lets get Junior Harrington while we're at it. :lol

ManuTastic
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
ok, lets get Junior Harrington while we're at it. :lol

Whoops, my bad.

SenorSpur
11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Well one thing is for sure. He made a home in NO as a reliable backup. And NO isnt a sub-par team. Heck he even gave Timmy some problems only because Timmy already had his hands full guarding west,tyson and CP3.

Exactly. I always wondered if Ely really got a fair look while he was here. Again, I admit I don't know much about his game. One thing I do know is that he does have a decent, serviceable low-post game. Other than Duncan, there is not another player on this roster with such a skill. It just seems to me that perhaps Ely should've garnered a longer look here than just that 1/2 season, where he hardly played at all. Especially when you consider how light the frontline is now and the fact that we burned a 1st round pick on KT, who is looking terrible at this moment.