PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith says Iverson to Detroit

Girasuck
11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Iverson to Detroit for Billups and McDyess. SAS says it will happen soon. Just heard it on ESPN.

The Franchise
11-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Link?

Allanon
11-03-2008, 11:30 AM
That's pretty big news.

Certainly will shake up both teams.

crc21209
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
The story just broke on ESPN, not official yet, but minutes or hours away from becoming official.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Yep, just heard the same thing.

Girasuck
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Link?

There's no damn link. SAS was just interviewed on ESPN and said it will happen very soon.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Sounds good. Would have been smart to get this trade in before the season.

The Franchise
11-03-2008, 11:36 AM
There's no damn link. SAS was just interviewed on ESPN and said it will happen very soon.

Then just say that next time without trying to be such a rude whore.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Rocket fans vs Jazz fans! woooo!

The Franchise
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Rocket fans vs Jazz fans! woooo!

Nah. There's just no reason to be an ass in that situation.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 11:39 AM

How do you link to a radio or TV report?

Girasuck
11-03-2008, 11:40 AM

What part of my original post don't you understand? Maybe it would help if you actually learn how to comprehend what you read.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Hell Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooot , Pumped!!!

B B B B B Billllluuuuuuuuups

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
:lol my wife thought i had won the lottery

Billups/JR/Melo/K/Nene

sribb43
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
WTF? If Dumars was going to make this deal he should have done it in the offseason

Matchman
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
chill out rockets jazz fans we are all friends arent we :lol?
the Pistons are retarded and they have just threw away their last chance at going to the fnials. and now we have to worry about the fuckin Nuggets because Billups is 10x the player iverson is in terms of running the offense.:ihit

Findog
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow, I like that deal for Denver.

Red Hawk #21
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow I don't know what to make of this trade

NuGGeTs-FaN
im so PUMPED

We have a pass first point guard who can knock down 3's and isnt undersized AND JR starts!!!

BOOYA

IronMexican
Denver is winning big time. Unless AI could be rejuvinated by this.

Killakobe81
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Can be a good deal for both Billups will thrive in an uptemp system Dice will help in frontcourt love Birdmans energy but offensively he sucks

A lineup of Kmart, Billups, Nene Anthony and Jr Smith (guesing he starts now) unless they go 2 gaurd is better than portalnd's is right now id say Denver still makes playoffs and maybe could be better in mix with Phoenix & dallas but not top 5 in West

I. Hustle
11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
ESPN has the nuggets eyeing Marbury too.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
this is one heck of a trade. I am speechless coz i have wanted Billups in Denver for ages and now its happening, unless of course its not finalised lol

Girasuck
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't think this makes Denver a legit contender but it does make them a lot better. Iverson is a team killer. Billups is a great PG. Melo will be the leading scorer in the NBA this season.

Indazone
11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Damn, Denver is stacked. Billups is a better team player than Iverson. Iverson needs the ball to be effective and he dominates by penetrating.

Detroit..with Iverson??? Iverson, Hamilton, Prince, Amir Johnson, Rasheed Wallace. Not sure what Detroit gains by replacing Billups with Iverson.

Indazone
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
ESPN has the nuggets eyeing Marbury too.

If the Nuggets get Starbury it's essentially like getting Iverson. They basically play the same way. But the only way they get Starbury is if the Knicks buy him out.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
JR starting is a huge part of this

All of a sudden we have a 6'3/6'6 backcourt instead of a 6'2/5'11 lol

Plus the backcourt can play some D and hit 3's.......

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
If only the Nuggets wouldnt have dumped Camby....

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Must suck to be 1st yr coach Michael Curry and having to deal w/ AI

Girasuck
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM

From what I've seen so far...Denver is playing better D without Camby. I really like Nene at the center position if he'd control his fouling.

I'm getting more and more upset thinking about this trade. Billups is really the only PG in the league that can man up Deron. JR Smith now becomes better. Martin and Nene now become better offensive players, and Melo will love this trade.

GOD DAMN IT!!

Sausage
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
The Denver Nuggets are expected to trade Allen Iverson to the Detroit Pistons for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, Pistons team sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

The deal has not been finalized.

This would be the second time Iverson has been traded in two years. He was dealt by Philadelphia to Denver in December 2006, kicked out of Philly over irreconcilable differences as part of a package that brought Andre Miller to the 76ers.

Stephen A. Smith covers the NBA for ESPN.

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
From what I've seen so far...Denver is playing better D without Camby. I really like Nene at the center position if he'd control his fouling.

I'm getting more and more upset thinking about this trade. Billups is really the only PG in the league that can man up Deron. JR Smith now becomes better. Martin and Nene now become better offensive players, and Melo will love this trade.

GOD DAMN IT!!

Im just saying the Nuggs would be better with both Camby and Nene then just Nene. Camby was just a cap relief move and they got nothing but a 2nd rounder in return

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
please confirm this lol

Bucher said it will be official within the hour, but i wont believe it until i see it

Lake_show
11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
It's official.

AI has been traded to the Pistons for Billups and McDyess. On ESPN and local sports NYC radio. Papers already submitted to league office.

It's official folks, announcement this afternoon or even sooner

The_Game
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
detroit finally gets a go to scorer, great trade for the pistons. Billups is a good PG but he has faultered in the playoffs last few years and doesn't always play hard

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
LOL....this is Billiups 2nd time through Denver and McDyess' 3rd time

usckk
11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931

Zee Laker
11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
good trade for both teams

Denver can make some noise now in the West, not too much i hope lol

BacktoBasics
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Exactly what I was thinking

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Pistons always lose because no first scorer in team. They have one now.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Pistons always lose because no first scorer in team. They have one now.

Who is the girl on the right side of you're sig?

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I think this is a good trade for both teams. You are seriously under valuing Iverson's ability to help Detroit. Now they can have Stuckey and AI backcourt which is nice.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
dyess will be bought out

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
dyess will be bought out

Go to spurs.

Pistons < Spurs
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Dice returning to Detroit!!!

JamStone
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Actually a solid deal for both teams.

Denver can move JR Smith to the starting line-up and they get their hometown hero Billups back to Park Hill.

Detroit gets that superstar player that attacks the rim instead of shooting long perimeter shots in the clutch, and hopefully will get some whistles along the way.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooove the deal for the Pistons. Absolutely love it.

As much as some people think Iverson is on his decline, Billups is no spring chicken either. And, Billups has had more and more problems guarding the quicker point guards in the league. Moreover, the last three post seasons, Billups has struggled to come up big in the key situations

Good for both. Again, I love it for Detroit. Ivo been my favorite player forever. I'm about to go buy some tickets...

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
i understand why Dyess wanted to stay......... no problem with Denver but didnt want to move again lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
good luck Pistons fans :toast You guys know AI is a warrior and is a legit #1 option. People always say he is declining but then he shuts them up with a big game. He is struggling a bit coz of injury but he will be fine

Great trade for both teams :toast

Lake_show
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Who cares. Neither can beat LA anyways.

Hemotivo
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Who is the girl on the right side of you're sig?

christina model

:downspin:

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
So the Nuggs were supposidly getting rid of salary with Camby, yet they added more salary since Billups has 3 more years left on his deal

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
when will people realise the Nuggets are better without camby? Their D is much much much better, its their offense that has let them down.

The only thing they miss from camby is rebounding but he is out injured so he wouldnt have helped them anyway lol

Nene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Camby

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Damn. I liked what Billups made for himself in Detroit.

Good for the Nuggs.

sribb43
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
when will people realise the Nuggets are better without camby? Their D is much much much better, its their offense that has let them down.

The only thing they miss from camby is rebounding but he is out injured so he wouldnt have helped them anyway lol

Nene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Camby

Whether thats the case or not...you mean to tell me youd rather a frontcourt of Nene/K-Mart/Chris Anderson than Camby/Nene/K-Mart?

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Whether thats the case or not...you mean to tell me youd rather a frontcourt of Nene/K-Mart/Chris Anderson than Camby/Nene/K-Mart?

yep coz paying someone $10mil/season to come off the bench is a joke....

BacktoBasics
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Nene and K-Mart can't seem to stay healthy either.

Lake_show
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Nuggets are still a 8th seed at best. Who cares.

jack sommerset
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Great trade for the Pistons. Who did Dumars blow for this to happen?

1Parker1
11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Wait, is it confirmed McDyess will return to Detroit and Denver will waive him?

mavsfan1000
11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Detroit just fucked their team.

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
why the hell would Detroit do this?

JamStone
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Detroit just fucked their team.

They weren't winning shit anyway.

why the hell would Detroit do this?

They weren't winning a title with Billups. They still might now, but they are a better team now, in my opinion. Plus, they'll have $22-26 million in cap space next summer to reconstruct their team and start to build a great team again.

Billups is way into his decline as well. It makes perfect sense for the Pistons on several levels.

Kai
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I like the deal for both sides. Both teams weren't going anywhere so it made sense to shake things up. I think Denver will get more immediate help, but even if this doesn't work out for Detroit, they have Iverson's contract coming off the books.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yup, unless you really believe the Pistons had a legitimate chance at winning the NBA title this year before the trade, the trade should not be questioned from Detroit's side.

And, no one thought the Pistons were going to win the title before the trade.

Black
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Since when do Dallas fans know anything about basketball?

We didn't ruin anything. We have the same team we have had, minus one over-rated all star guard. We added a superstar, and lost an over-rated star.

turiaf for president
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
i agreee with jam stone.

detroit got a NUMBER 1 option who can create for himself and others. but even bigger is the fact that detroits starters were getting older and now AI and sheeds contracts are expiring end of this year. thats 34 million off their payroll and they should have about 22 million this summer to get a free agent. (kobe bryant comes to mind but highy doubt kobe leaving la for detroit). some notable free agents this summer are ai, odom, kobe, marbury, gordon, marion, etc.

jacobdrj
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Great trade for the Pistons. Who did Dumars blow for this to happen?

Not Kevin McHale, that is for sure :toast

SimonHymen
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Since when do Dallas fans know anything about basketball?

Since Mark Cuban bought the team.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
i agreee with jam stone.

detroit got a NUMBER 1 option who can create for himself and others. but even bigger is the fact that detroits starters were getting older and now AI and sheeds contracts are expiring end of this year. thats 34 million off their payroll and they should have about 22 million this summer to get a free agent. (kobe bryant comes to mind but highy doubt kobe leaving la for detroit). some notable free agents this summer are ai, odom, kobe, marbury, gordon, marion, etc.

I would soil myself even more than I did today if the Pistons got Kobe. But, that aint happening, jack. I just soiled myself again at the thought of it.

jacobdrj
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I came to Spurstalk today to see a more 'national' perspective on this trade.

In summary, and to my suprise, Most guys seem to like the trade for Denver, and lukewarm on the Detroit side.

I wish Billups could have gone to Orlando. They need him there. Badly.

turiaf for president
11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I would soil myself even more than I did today if the Pistons got Kobe. But, that aint happening, jack. I just soiled myself again at the thought of it.

haha who knows anything can happen. but if that does im going to go kick kupchak's asss

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I do not understand some people, this is a win win for Detroit.

jacobdrj
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Keep in mind Ainge is the same GM that came in to save the day on the Rasheed deal. I don't think he cares.

jacobdrj
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Orlando wouldn't need Billups if they hadn't traded their draft pick(which turned out to be Rodney Stuckey, btw) for Darko

:lmao

Wow. Never thought of that... Astute. 'You' should bring that up in ATH today :toast

I am sure Woody will love Bips coming back to Denver...

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
They weren't winning shit anyway.

They weren't winning a title with Billups. They still might now, but they are a better team now, in my opinion. Plus, they'll have $22-26 million in cap space next summer to reconstruct their team and start to build a great team again.

Billups is way into his decline as well. It makes perfect sense for the Pistons on several levels.

didn't they already win a title with Billups? I mean they were in the ECF last year- it doesn't make sense to give up after 3 games when you are still one of the top 4 teams in your conference. I think the loss of McDyess will hurt them alot come playoff time and that is the part of the trade I don't get.

21_Blessings
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
This trade won't change anything. Denver is still a fringe playoff team out West and the Pistons will lose to a better team in a weak Eastern Conference come playoff time.

Black
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
How is it a weak eastern conference?

I guarantee you the Lakers would not have made it out. We play defense.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
didn't they already win a title with Billups? I mean they were in the ECF last year- it doesn't make sense to give up after 3 games when you are still one of the top 4 teams in your conference. I think the loss of McDyess will hurt them alot come playoff time and that is the part of the trade I don't get.

Tell me if you honestly believe the Pistons had a legit shot at winning an NBA title this year. How much of a chance did they have at even winning the Eastern Conference. Speak honestly.

Going to the ECF again means jack shit to this franchise. An NBA Finals appearance would be great, but still if it means not winning the title, it's not worth it to Joe Dumars. He's said as much in interviews.

Chauncey had two more years after this season left on his contract, a team option for another after that. Chauncey is closer to being done than Iverson in my opinion. The Pistons weren't winning shit this year and you know it. Now you want to twist that fact to make the deal look bad. It's one of the most perfect scenarios for the Pistons. They make a major shake-up to the core, which was getting extremely stale. They bring in a superstar player, albeit on his decline as well, to not only add some hunger, but to sell tickets and bring a renewed interest from the fans, and if all that shit don't work out, his $22 million contract comes off the books and the Pistons reconstruct their team with a lot of financial flexibility.

You have to be out of your mind to think this is a bad deal for the Pistons or to question it from the Pistons' side in any way.

edit: as for McDyess, he was needed to help match salaries. And, now the Pistons take on more salary then it traded, which means more money comes off the books. And, if rumors are true, there's a chance McDyess is waived and returns to the Pistons. Even if he doesn't, it's a great deal for the Pistons.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
haha who knows anything can happen. but if that does im going to go kick kupchak's asss

That would be the most pissed I would be at Kuppy since he said that "Our #1 prioroty is to re-sign Kobe" which is what really pissed Shaq off. Man, I still think about the rings they could have won:depressed

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Tell me if you honestly believe the Pistons had a legit shot at winning an NBA title this year. How much of a chance did they have at even winning the Eastern Conference. Speak honestly.

Going to the ECF again means jack shit to this franchise. An NBA Finals appearance would be great, but still if it means not winning the title, it's not worth it to Joe Dumars. He's said as much in interviews.

Chauncey had two more years after this season left on his contract, a team option for another after that. Chauncey is closer to being done than Iverson in my opinion. The Pistons weren't winning shit this year and you know it. Now you want to twist that fact to make the deal look bad. It's one of the most perfect scenarios for the Pistons. They make a major shake-up to the core, which was getting extremely stale. They bring in a superstar player, albeit on his decline as well, to not only add some hunger, but to sell tickets and bring a renewed interest from the fans, and if all that shit don't work out, his $22 million contract comes off the books and the Pistons reconstruct their team with a lot of financial flexibility.

You have to be out of your mind to think this is a bad deal for the Pistons or to question it from the Pistons' side in any way.

edit: as for McDyess, he was needed to help match salaries. And, now the Pistons take on more salary then it traded, which means more money comes off the books. And, if rumors are true, there's a chance McDyess is waived and returns to the Pistons. Even if he doesn't, it's a great deal for the Pistons.

I thought they did, I mean the Pistons could win the east. Arguably, the 4 best teams in the east are: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando The Pistons could win the east if the injury bug hits one of the other 3 teams. I just think it's a little early to start giving up on your season- that's all I'm saying

21_Blessings
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
"Our #1 prioroty is to re-sign Kobe" which is what really pissed Shaq off. Man, I still think about the rings they could have won:depressed

Wouldn't have won shit with a fat, unmotivated, rapidly declining Shaq getting paid 30 million.

Black
11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I fail to see how this is up 'giving up' on the season.

He's a top 10 player in this league. He has been for his entire career. This is the best team he's ever played on, and we know how to win basketball games.

angelbelow
11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
mcydess sweepstakes?

dirk4mvp
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
He's a top 10 player in this league.

lol

baseline bum
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Horrible trade for Detroit. WTF is Dumars thinking here?

coachmac87
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Great deal for both teams...especially DET.. they get somebody hungry like AI and this could give the Pistons the extra push needed to get over the hump. AI is a killer come playoff.....s and is the close out the game player DET somewhat lacked. But the major down side of this...... is it could mess up the great chemistry DET had. I expect for DET to still compete for the EAstern Conference .....but do not think they will win it all.

xtremesteven33
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Horrible trade for Detroit. WTF is Dumars thinking here?

jack sommerset
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Every sports headline says Iverson traded, not Billups. Pistons made a great trade!

11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
with billups, the nuggets will probably hold on to their eighth spot. i think they should have kept iverson and just let his contract expire so they can continue rebuilding. adding a young pg or pf/c next to smith and anthony would have them set for the next few years. adding a 32 year old point guard who was injured in last year's playoffs may let them tread water for a few more years but does nothing if their goal is to seriously compete in the playoffs.

Marklar MM
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
What people don't really realize is the mentality this team had. The Pistons get rid of their aging point guard who has been a no-show in the playoffs since 2005, and get a player who wants to win a ring. This will hopefully change the teams mentality of flipping the switch and show that none of their asses are safe.

Not to mention they will have 34 million coming off the books next season from Sheed/AI contracts.

Allanon
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I can't wait to see AI & Sheed take on the Boston Celtics this Sunday.

No matter how you slice it, this trade breathed life into both the Nuggets and the Pistons. Both were seemingly "has-beens", this trade brings hope.

Black
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I mean, think what ever you want guys.

Maybe he's not a top 10 player any more (I'd love to see who you would put ahead of him). Statistically, he's a top 10 player, and he's exactly what we needed, a potent scorer.

Forget about what you thought you knew about Allen Iverson. He's on a team that was already arguably better then the ones you root for. So stop hating.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
The Denver-Detroit trade makes sense for one team. Not Denver

By Kelly Dwyer

Another day, and another reason to have no idea as to what the Denver Nuggets are on about.

Another day, and another reason to be completely wowed by Joe Dumars and his executive savvy, in spite of his noted missteps (Darko, Kwame, Rodney White, etc.).

Woj is reporting that the Nuggets are about to send Allen Iverson to the Pistons for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, with frontcourt prospect Cheikh Samb thrown in for Denver as well. Throw in whoever you want. It's an absolute steal for the Pistons.

It's an absolute steal even if Iverson turns an ankle on his way toward Auburn Hills and doesn't play a game for this team, because Dumars just managed to do the exact thing (acquire cap space in one fell swoop) that the Nuggets had been supposedly trying to do all along with AI and his expiring contract.

The Nuggets? I've become convinced that they think the NBA is folding sometime this summer.

Iverson makes almost $21 million this year, in the final year of his contract, and paired with several other expiring contracts on the Detroit roster, we're looking at a Pistons team that could have at least $20 million cap space this summer. Had the Pistons held the current roster together, once you figured in Jason Maxiell's contract extension and the fact that Rip Hamilton and Kwame Brown are likely to pick up their player options, the team was looking at being just a few hundred thousand over the cap, even with Rasheed Wallace's giant expiring contract.

Instead, this team will have Hamilton, Maxiell, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson, and a host of youngsters on the cheap, plus enough money to pull in two huge primo free agents. All in return for a 32-year old point guard who is owed $13 million in 2011, and a F/C who might retire.

And, if AI and Rasheed and the gang work out ... who knows? They probably won't, but there are options. The Pistons now have $31.7 million in expiring contracts to shop around starting at the beginning of the 2009 (when Iverson can be traded again). Dumars might not be done.

As for the Nuggets ... what the hell?

Billups is still a little underrated, he's a terrific point guard in the half-court, and Denver is desperate for a competent ball-handler to feed their still-formidable rosters of scorers and finishers. J.R. Smith will plug in Iverson's old shooting guard slot and score just as much, if not more. No joke. He also has the size to defend better than AI, but this is also J.R. Smith we're talking about, so let's not get carried away.

Meanwhile, should he report, McDyess can still play, he's already been a Nugget twice in his career, and Denver will be in better shape with that duo than they were in just with Iverson.

But at what price? This keeps the Nuggets well over the luxury tax level this season, and it means Denver will be right near it in 2009-10 even with just seven players signed and Linas Kleiza's contract situation in the air. Give Linas seven million a year, and the Nuggets are paying six or seven million in luxury tax with only eight roster spots filled.

And assuming Kleiza gets the sort of contract I mentioned, even with McDyess' contract expiring, the Nuggets are on the books for nearly $70 million in 2010-11 with just Chauncey, Nene, Kenyon Martin, Kleiza, Carmelo Anthony, and J.R. Smith on board. Just six players, well over the cap, and approaching luxury tax territory.

The Nuggets will be better with this trade, this season. Don't doubt it for a second. A backcourt with Smith and Billups playing big minutes and Anthony Carter or Chucky Atkins working in reserve will do far more than any combination with AI pulling in 40 minutes a night, Smith filling in where he could, and Atkins/Carter having to log heavy minutes because nobody else can bring the ball up court.

But it won't be enough to get near New Orleans, the Lakers, Utah, or Houston. And it won't touch San Antonio, when Manu Ginobili gets back. It might be enough to put Denver in the playoffs, but that's about it. And that "it" will be paid handsomely through 2011.

Detroit's taking another chance, and though there's the possibility the team might whiff in free agency, it hardly matters. They've cleared cap space and developed even more options. If nothing happens this summer, then they can run the kids for a year before trying to clamp down on the 2010 free agent market. After all, only Tayshaun Prince ($11.1 million), Jason Maxiell (reportedly about $5 million), and the backcourt tandem of Stuckey and Aaron Afflalo (combined to make $4.7 million) will be on the books that summer.

Nobody, not even Joe Dumars or Iverson himself, will be able to anticipate what sort of impact his presence will have on this year's Pistons team. AI's game is that unique. But given the far-reaching implications of what this deal could do for Detroit, again, it hardly matters in the long run.

It's all dependent on Dumars making another series of good moves with his newfound options, but given the man's past, should we even doubt the man?

Related: Rodney Stuckey, Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza, Jason Maxiell, J.R. Smith, Carmelo Anthony, Tayshaun Prince, Kwame Brown, Kenyon Martin, Anthony Carter, Manu Ginobili, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Denver Nuggets

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Denver-Detroit-trade-makes-sense-for-one-tea;_ylt=AhSgTuUoGBKC9FPN5fVMT.a8vLYF?urn=nba,1193 29

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I can't think of 10 Perimeter players ahead of him.

Kobe
Bron
Wade
T-mac
Melo
paul
williams
nash

And some of those are arguable.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Kobe
Bron
Wade
T-mac
Melo
paul
williams
nash

He didn't just say perimeter players, just players.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
He didn't just say perimeter players, just players.

Then no. He is still a star though.

Black
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Kobe
Bron
Wade
T-mac
Melo
paul
williams
nash

T-mac?, Nash? Come on man, i'm talking about basketball players. Think of over all production, determination, and hunger. Nash and Tmac are a couple of pussies.

Also, notice my previous post, in which I said, maybe he's not a top 10 player (imo, he is, i've always been an A.I fan). Statistically, HE IS A TOP 10 PLAYER... regardless of position.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
T-mac?, Nash? Come on man, i'm talking about basketball players. Think of over all production, determination, and hunger. Nash and Tmac are a couple of pussies.

Also, notice my previous post, in which I said, maybe he's not a top 10 player (imo, he is, i've always been an A.I fan). Statistically, HE IS A TOP 10 PLAYER... regardless of position.

It is true, he is one of only two people in history to be in the top 10 in scoring and assist 4 years in a row.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM

You want to go on heart, AI is #1. Talent, not anymore. And Nash is a pussy now? He leaves it out there every night, no denying it.

Tradition
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
I can't wait to see AI & Sheed take on the Boston Celtics this Sunday.

No matter how you slice it, this trade breathed life into both the Nuggets and the Pistons. Both were seemingly "has-beens", this trade brings hope.

Sheed is a role player at this stage. Iverson has ok help around him but this doesnt make them that fucking good. So Rip is the #2 scorer? ooooooo Their top scorers outside of Iverson are containable. They have a nice team and probably a tad better with Iverson but comon. They arent beating the Celtics in a 7 game series. Celts D will shut everyone else down and force Iverson to beat them by himself.

Cap wise its a wonderful trade for the Pistons. They will rebuild nicely. Their chances do somewhat improve for title contention, but the Celts are the class of the east. As long as they stay healthy, they will be back in the finals. The only team who will prevent Boston from a rematch with the Lakers in June is Boston. Vice versa for the Lakers as well.

Kai
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
How is it a weak eastern conference?

Black
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
yeah, however, he can't play a lick of defense. Not even steals. I'm not trying to dog Nash, because he is a good play, but I'm a gritty basketball fan. I DISPISE the finesse style. I don't think it will ever win anything.

Edit: and great, now we got Rocket fans talking ish. When have you fucks ever won anything? seriously? Is this really how it is on this forum?

I fail to see what you guys don't understand.

We get a super star for an over-rated PG, who was not doing anything.

If it works, we may have a fantasy season. If it doesn't, we have so much flexibility next season.

This was a DEAL. End of story.

PS: Sheed is not a role player, get out of here with that BS. He would start on any team in the league.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
yeah, however, he can't play a lick of defense. Not even steals. I'm not trying to dog Nash, because he is a good play, but I'm a gritty basketball fan. I DISPISE the finesse style. I don't think it will ever win anything.

How does that equate into Nash being a pussy?

And going by this, AI is a pussy as well. He's pretty much all finesse and his D isn't that great.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 05:48 PM
This was definitely in the Pistons favor. They got the better player, and they got the better contract.

Allanon
11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Sheed is a role player at this stage. Iverson has ok help around him but this doesnt make them that fucking good. So Rip is the #2 scorer? ooooooo Their top scorers outside of Iverson are containable. They have a nice team and probably a tad better with Iverson but comon. They arent beating the Celtics in a 7 game series. Celts D will shut everyone else down and force Iverson to beat them by himself.

I think AI pushes the Piston's further than Billups. One of the problems the Piston's have had with their 4 star lineup is the lack of the #1 guy. It used to be Mr. Big Shot but that didn't happen last year. AI would be the go to guy that can help them win games.

I don't think the Celtics are nearly as good this year as they were last year. I'd say the East is up for grabs.

Black
That's not true. A.I is not a finesse player, he's a gritty take it to the hoop, fall down get back up type player. Not sure what A.I you've been watching.

I should stop now with Nash, because I already said I disliked him, and my replies will be biased.

DPG21920
This was definitely in the Pistons favor. They got the better player, and they got the better contract.

Black
I can't believe you guys would call Sheed a role player. Good god.

angelbelow
11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
this is a great trade for the pistons. they get rid of billups contract and they get a massive expiring. they arent going to win anything this year and theyre in a semi youth movement, AI with his expiring will help a lot.

Black
11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't count them out that fast. They were already a good enough team to atleast make it to the finals these last couple of seasons. They were just poorly coached. We have a coach who demands respect, and we just traded for a superstar. I think you need to relax.

Kai
11-03-2008, 06:08 PM

Edit: and great, now we got Rocket fans talking ish. When have you fucks ever won anything? seriously? Is this really how it is on this forum?

I fail to see what you guys don't understand.

We get a super star for an over-rated PG, who was not doing anything.

If it works, we may have a fantasy season. If it doesn't, we have so much flexibility next season.

This was a DEAL. End of story.

PS: Sheed is not a role player, get out of here with that BS. He would start on any team in the league.

It was a good trade for Detroit. Nothing against the Pistons or Celtics, but besides them, that conference was a complete joke last year. And to answer your other question, 1994 & 1995.

Allanon
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Yes, that's how it is on this forum. You'll get plenty of fans from other teams talking ish, and that's why it's so great.

If you can't handle ish, then this isn't the board for you. But if you can take it, you'll find some great arguments and plenty of stupid ones too. Spurstalk is equal opportunity trash talking as long as you do it in the right part of the forums.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I thought they did, I mean the Pistons could win the east. Arguably, the 4 best teams in the east are: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando The Pistons could win the east if the injury bug hits one of the other 3 teams. I just think it's a little early to start giving up on your season- that's all I'm saying

Winning the East and winning the NBA title aren't the same thing. And, I simply disagree with you that they could have even win the East. I think most people didn't think they could win the East.

It's not giving up on the season unless you think the Pistons are that much worse than before.

Now, you can say they are different, that they'll struggle to find chemistry, but to outright say they are worse than before the trade, I just wouldn't agree.

A huge knock on the Pistons the last three years is they didn't have that superstar go-to guy that could take over and attack the basket for a score or to draw a foul and get to the line. That's what Iverson provides, even at his diminished level. He can still get to the basket. He can still be go-to guy. And, again, Billups' defense is way overrated. Better than Iverson's, but not enough to make it a bad trade.

If Dice returns to Detroit, which is not only a possibility but a likely scenario, that is no longer a knock on the trade.

I think you're lying if you say the Pistons still had a legit shot at the NBA title this season before the trade.

Tradition
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Well he isnt a superstar and is really not much of an all-star anymore either. He is in his mid 30's. A starter? Hell yes he still is but he is nothing more than a productive starter at best given his age and recent decline.

Tradition
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
I think Dice considers going elsewhere for a little while. He was loyal to the Pistons so it wont be like he demanded to be dealt. They traded him and he was a class act while their. I'd love to see Dice consider coming to LA. Lakers can waive Mbenga and Dice can be our backup 4 with Powell being at the end of the bench.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Dice said he would rather retire than play for another team than Detroit.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
christina model

:downspin:

That's the girl on the left.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Yeah, he barely deserves that. At this point, he's basically a tease, periodically reminding Pistons fans how fucking good he could be if he brought it all the time.

timtonymanu
11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
great. now all the AI fans will switch to Detroit. funny coz one of my brother's friends is an AI fan and he hates the Pistons.

turiaf for president
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM

yea i doubt he will play for the nuggets. hell prolly get bought out or released and resign with the pistons like barry and thomas did last year.

but heres an interesting idea. lakers are carrying 14 players and have the vet minimum and midlevel that they have yet to use. i can see mcdyess helping out the lakers tremendously. he can hit the jumper in the triangle and hes a tough guy who will play solid D. make it happen mitch!

sook
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
both teams will be good

duncan228
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Pistons get Iverson now, LeBron later? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArTUVOnKexzfvDH0bzAo3DS8vLYF?slug=aw-dumarslebron110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Joe Dumars had the chance to consider Dallas’ Jason Kidd and his expiring contract over the summer, a league executive said Monday, but the Detroit Pistons president had bigger, bolder ideas. Allen Iverson still gives the Pistons a puncher’s chance in the Eastern Conference this season, but this trade isn’t about him. It isn’t about Chauncey Billups.

Think bigger.

Think bolder.

Think LeBron James, 2010.

The Pistons president doesn’t just have the salary cap space for the Cleveland Cavaliers star. He also has the connections and the championship credibility. Make no mistake: Detroit and Dumars are officially in hot pursuit of James – maybe even the favorite now – and it promises to be a long, agonizing two years for the Cavaliers.

Detroit doesn’t deliver the bright lights and global metropolis destination that James wants when he opts out of his contract in 2010, but two more years of watching Kobe Bryant win titles could transform his priorities. James wants badly to be considered the best player on the planet and that won’t happen until he’s a champion.

James wants a front office with a vision that honors his greatness, and make no mistake: This makes Detroit and Dumars so dangerous, makes them Cleveland’s worst nightmare. The city could justify losing its prodigal son to New York or Los Angeles, but nearby Detroit?

Cleveland would never recover.

So why Iverson over a possible package for Kidd? Several league executives know exactly why: The trade with Denver to make an unhappy Iverson happier just further imbeds the Detroit franchise deeper into James’ agent, Leon Rose, and advisor, William Wesley. Just as they represent James, they rep Iverson.

And as much as anyone, “World Wide” Wes is one of the most important voices in Lebron’s life. Wesley lives in Detroit, where one of Rose’s clients, Richard Hamilton, is a Pistons star. What’s more, Dumars is close to an agreement with Hamilton on a two-year extension that will keep him through 2012, sources say. This is a terrific show of faith for Hamilton, who is trying to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars that a business manager allegedly stole from him.

Wesley comes and goes at the Palace of Auburn Hills as he pleases, and few have such a window into the winning culture of the Pistons.

As one rival GM said Monday, “Damn it, I am afraid Joe has this whole thing wired. He’s got everything in place to pull this off.”

The New Jersey Nets’ move to Brooklyn is falling apart, and so is owner Bruce Ratner’s chances of using limited partner, Jay-Z, to lure James. The Knicks will be a factor, but the bumbling of the Stephon Marbury mess has reflected horribly on the organization. The Knicks have an owner, GM and coach with differing agendas and they’ve made an initial poor impression. Detroit can’t compete with New York as the global city to market James, but winning could take care of everything.

With Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni as GM and coach, the Knicks can still get their act together. Yet, no one will ever need to ask that of Dumars. No one else can sell James on a winning culture as compellingly as Dumars. He had gone as far as he could with Billups, who has three years and $36 million left on his contract. Billups gave the Pistons a slight edge over Iverson to make another run this season, but Dumars had already gotten a final run out of him a year ago. Detroit won a title, reached a Game 7 of the NBA Finals and six straight Eastern Conference finals with Billups.

Now, Billups is 32 years old. He’s declining. This is a low-risk, short-term, high-reward, long-term play for Dumars.

The Pistons president believes that the young guard Rodney Stuckey, a brilliant pick out of Eastern Washington, can take over the Pistons next year. Iverson and Rasheed Wallace could leave the payroll this summer, and the Pistons will be $22 million under the salary cap in 2009. They will have a core of Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Stuckey, Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson in 2010. No one else among James’ serious suitors with cap space has two All-Stars (Hamilton and Prince) and a potential third (Stuckey) for him to join.

Most of all, James knows he’d have Dumars to give him the right coach, the right teammates, the right atmosphere to chase championships for a long, long time. What makes this plan so ingenious is that the bridge from Iverson to Stuckey, from Wallace to Maxiell, makes it possible for the Pistons to reconstruct themselves without bottoming out. They’ll still be a 50-win team. Dumars hates the idea of rebuilding through the lottery, and that won’t need to happen here. He won’t be offering James a heap of ashes in 2010, but a good team needing him to complete its greatness.

For the flawed franchises falling over themselves to get under the salary cap for 2010, the most ingenious plan promises to start out of the NBA’s brightest executive mind. Joe Dumars is thinking big. He’s thinking bold. This will be an agonizing two years in Cleveland.

Allanon
11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Money over Power or is it the other way around?

The writer does have a good point:

Out of all the destinations for LeBron, Detroit does seem the most likely throne from which he can challenge Kobe.

Pistons < Spurs
11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, he barely deserves that. At this point, he's basically a tease, periodically reminding Pistons fans how fucking good he could be if he brought it all the time.

:clap +1

bostonguy
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM

You are going to enjoy the Celtics/Pistons games even more. Your favorite NBA player in AI against the player you flat out DESPISE far more than anyone else in the league in Paul Pierce. :lmao:lmao

duncan228
11-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Source: Hamilton's new Pistons contract worth $34M (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3680959)
ESPN.com

The Detroit Pistons didn't stop at making over their backcourt Monday.

In addition to acquiring Allen Iverson in a three-for-one trade with the Denver Nuggets, the Pistons agreed to a three-year extension with Richard Hamilton, a team source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

The new contract is worth $34 million, with the first two years guaranteed. The third year is only a partial guarantee, the source told Ford.

Earlier Monday, Detroit sent Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver in exchange for Iverson.

"We just felt it was the right time to change our team," Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press. "Iverson gives us a dimension that we haven't had here and we really think it's going to help us."

JamStone
11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
You are going to enjoy the Celtics/Pistons games even more. Your favorite NBA player in AI against the player you flat out DESPISE far more than anyone else in the league in Paul Pierce. :lmao:lmao

True, but I don't despise Paul Pierce. Definitely don't like him, but far from despise him. Plus, I love KG.

But, yeah, could be a much more interesting match-up now that Iverson can attack Rondo the way Rondo attacked Billups.

bostonguy
11-03-2008, 10:21 PM
True, but I don't despise Paul Pierce. Definitely don't like him, but far from despise him. Plus, I love KG.

But, yeah, could be a much more interesting match-up now that Iverson can attack Rondo the way Rondo attacked Billups.

Yep AI will attack Rondo but Rondo will be doing the same to AI. More interesting matchup it is. How much more interesting is to be determined.

Maybe despise was too strong of a word, but Pierce is by far your least favorite player in the league. No one even comes as a close second.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Sometimes, even though a deal makes sense for both teams, one side comes away the unquestionable winner.

Detroit had its reasons for making Monday's trade of Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess for Allen Iverson, and those reasons make sense: As Chad Ford explains, the deal clears room for Rodney Stuckey to play at the point, and it paves the way for the Pistons to have some serious cap space in the summer when Iverson and Rasheed Wallace come off the books. That's nothing to sneeze at.

That said, I can't believe how good this trade is for the Denver Nuggets. On almost every level, it accomplishes the main objectives this team had for both the present and the future.

I am having a hard time finding a single drawback to this deal from Denver's perspective. About the only one I can think of is that the Nuggets might play at a slower pace with Billups at the helm, and that might take away a bit from the home-court advantage they enjoy in Denver's mile-high air. That's the best I can come up with.

Meanwhile, the advantages pile up like snowdrifts on Pike's Peak. To wit:

Insider: Trade analysis
This trade not only boosts Denver on the court but also helps the bottom line. For more, click here.
1. Denver got the better player.
Iverson is a legend, and Billups isn't … but who would you rather have going forward?

During the past two seasons, Billups has logged a player efficiency rating of 21.38 and 23.48, compared with 19.61 and 21.06 for Iverson. Throw in that Billups is a much better defensive player, has a superior durability track record and is a year younger, and there's no doubt which player you'd rather have going forward -- especially because Billups' savvy floor game and long-range shooting are likely to age much better than Iverson's speed-based approach.

2. The trade better configures the Nuggets' talent.
An Iverson-Billups swap makes a ton of sense from Denver's perspective because of how the rest of the roster shapes up.

The Nuggets had two outstanding shooting guards (Iverson and J.R. Smith) and zero outstanding point guards; by swapping Iverson for Billups, they now have one of each. Smith should start at the 2 or see extended minutes off the bench at that spot, while Billups will hold down the fort at the point; Anthony Carter, meanwhile, can revert to the reserve guard role that better aligns with his skills.

As a side benefit, this also should open up some extra minutes for Linas Kleiza, who was getting squeezed with Carmelo Anthony, Iverson and Smith already available on the wings.

3. It makes room for Melo.
The biggest winner from this whole trade may be Anthony. Suddenly, he has room to operate from his midpost area because Smith and Billups, who are deadly shooters, loom on the outside and can punish double-teams. And suddenly, he'll have the ball there a lot more and a lot earlier in the clock, because Iverson isn't sucking up possessions and shot-clock time on the perimeter.

I've always believed that Denver needed another sniper in the backcourt to make its system work. (In fact, that's one reason the Nuggies inked Chucky Atkins in July 2007.) There was too much congestion for Anthony and Iverson to thrive. In Billups, they unquestionably have their sniper.

4. It helps with the fans.
Iverson might have been a huge gate attraction on the road, but in Denver, the locals had grown increasingly jaded. Swapping him for two high-character guys with local roots (Billups is from Denver, and McDyess, if he stays a Nugget, had his best seasons there) is bound to create some good karma with the locals, something that was needed after local faves Marcus Camby and Eduardo Najera bid the Rockies adieu this past summer.

Need we go on?

Whether or not the Iverson era in Denver went as planned, the Nuggets managed to turn him into an instant restoration of the team's hopes. And that's why, even if Detroit didn't lose the trade, Denver won it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=IversonTrade-Nuggets-081103

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2008, 10:38 PM
i still love the trade for both teams. No team is a 'clear' winner in this one.

JamStone
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Maybe despise was too strong of a word, but Pierce is by far your least favorite player in the league. No one even comes as a close second.

Possibly. But, I don't really hate players.

If Alonzo Mourning were still playing, he'd be more disliked than Pierce. For that matter, I hate on Dwyane Wad more than Pierce as well.

Killakobe81
11-04-2008, 12:36 AM
i agreee with jam stone.

I also agree with Jamstone (happening a lot lately ...scary) but why not?
Neither were favorites to win the title and Detroit makes cap room ...and Billups still a clutch shooter and better PG but AI is FAR better player he is a first ballot HOF 3rd highest ppg EVER!!!

velik_m
11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
So who will play PG in Detroit now?

Heath Ledger
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Dumars is really high on Stuckey but its not clear if he will turn out, he has a very inconsistant game at the moment, we also have a very credible Aflalo and Bynum.

DPG21920
11-04-2008, 01:15 AM
I would say Iverson and Rip start, with some Stuckey, Iverson, Rip action as well

Black
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes, that's how it is on this forum. You'll get plenty of fans from other teams talking ish, and that's why it's so great.

If you can't handle ish, then this isn't the board for you. But if you can take it, you'll find some great arguments and plenty of stupid ones too. Spurstalk is equal opportunity trash talking as long as you do it in the right part of the forums.

No I can handle it. This forum is pretty cool, alot of unbiased, but different opinions. I was a bit hostile yesterday (my apologies) I suppose it's my fault for going to RealGM and looking at their poll results. Some how the Nuggets made out with the better end of the deal? They received less talent, and a bad contract.

I'm glad you guys for the most part agree that we won this trade. I'd be willing to say it was a land slide. The only people who think Denver won this trade, are people who haven't watch Billups since we won 60+. He's declined, and it hasn't been pretty.

IronMexican
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
No I can handle it. This forum is pretty cool, alot of unbiased, but different opinions. I was a bit hostile yesterday (my apologies) I suppose it's my fault for going to RealGM and looking at their poll results. Some how the Nuggets made out with the better end of the deal? They received less talent, and a bad contract.

I'm glad you guys for the most part agree that we won this trade. I'd be willing to say it was a land slide. The only people who think Denver won this trade, are people who haven't watch Billups since we won 60+. He's declined, and it hasn't been pretty.

RealGM? Man, that place sucks major ass.

Black
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah I agree.