PDA

View Full Version : How many are actual Alumni of the school you root for???

lebomb
11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I enjoy all of college football, and Im not loyal to any program as of yet....... *Crosses Fingers*

How many of yall are Alumni? and how many just support a football program for other reasons?

This isnt a flame thread.......its just out of curiosity........because one of my best friends loves Notre Dame, but never went there. He just likes them for god knows what reason. :lmao

j-6
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I am. I'd pimp my other school if it had a football program.

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Well I am yes and no lol. I root for UT, always have. I went to to University of Texas schools so I was part of their system in a way.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I think you have to be imho. Otherwise it is kind of lame.

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

So with that are you saying someone who never went to college is allowed to root for any college team?

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I never even graduated HS.

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I never even graduated HS.

Your not allowed to root for USC anymore.

j-6
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Hmmm, I don't know about that. What if you grew up in Waco or Lubbock and went to school elsewhere? Or if you pay to send your kid to LSU? Or if your spouse went to Mizzou? Or your parents went to A&M and you grew up watching Aggie football?

I used those particular examples because I know people that are fans of those schools for those exact reasons.

dirk4mvp
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM

WTF? My grandpa has been an Ole Miss fan since the 50's, but never went there. Heck, he took an agriculture course at Miss State (says he hated every minute of it :lol), and I don't think that makes him any less of a fan.

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Hmmm, I don't know about that. What if you grew up in Waco or Lubbock and went to school elsewhere? Or if you pay to send your kid to LSU? Or if your spouse went to Mizzou? Or your parents went to A&M and you grew up watching Aggie football?

I used those particular examples because I know people that are fans of those schools for those exact reasons.

My whole family went to at least one part of the UT system. 1 sister went to UT Austin. 1 sister went to UTB and UTPA. Dad went to UTPA. I went to UTPA and UTB. UTB and UTPA do not have teams and are part of that University of Texas system. I have friends that went to A&M kingsville and A&M Corpus and are Aggie Fans. I know a lot of people who grew up watching UT as kids and never went to college. They are bigger fans than some people I know that went to UT. Its like saying if you never lived in San Antonio you cant be a spurs fan.

Blake
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM

then there are a LOT of lame Longhorn "fans" in San Antonio and Austin.

If I never went to college at all, I'd probably still be one of those "lame" Longhorn fans that never went to school.

that's a pretty uncool statement.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Your not allowed to root for USC anymore.

:( :cry

BSofA04
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm a fan of UT but graduated from UTSA. Should UTSA get a football team, I'd root primarily for them.

Doug Collins
11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
A&M grad and fan.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm a fan of the teams representing the schools that I attended.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
My parents met at Texas A&M, my sister graduated from A&M, my mother's side of the family is all from College Station...and I would still feel like a poser being diehard Aggie Football fan. That's just me though. Everyone takes offense to it, but that's just how I have always seen it.

It's like a couple years ago when UT won the Natl. Champ. and everyone suddenly bled burnt orange.

doobs
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
If you grow up in Texas, you have to make up your mind at some point, generally when you're 11 years old . . . Longhorns or Aggies. I chose Longhorns because I never wanted to play grab-ass in the countryside with a bunch of wannabe grunts. I ended up going to UT, as well. But even if I'd never gone to UT, I'd still support the Longhorns. Anyone who thinks that shouldn't be allowed can go take a hike.

Flintstones32
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
michigan state grad and fan.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
If you grow up in Texas, you have to make up your mind at some point, generally when you're 11 years old . . . Longhorns or Aggies. I chose Longhorns because I never wanted to play grab-ass in the countryside with a bunch of wannabe grunts. I ended up going to UT, as well. But even if I'd never gone to UT, I'd still support the Longhorns. Anyone who thinks that shouldn't be allowed can go take a hike.

To each his own. I've just always found it interesting to see how much people who have no real tie to an institution are willing to commit to that institution's representatives.

What's all the more curious to me is the willingness of those who are in that boat to talk derisively about other institutions and those who attended those institutions.

Blake
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I think a lot of it is media related.

Here in San Antonio we are doused with Longhorn coverage, with Aggie follow up, sprinkled with a pinch of Texas Tech and maybe a Baylor story here or there.

Not to mention your local WalMart/Academy Sports/HEB has their own Longhorn sports paraphenalia sections.

It's no small wonder you see bums on the side of the road asking for change, wearing UT shirts or hats. I'm thinking some of them post here at ST.

Doug Collins
11-03-2008, 03:16 PM
To each his own. I've just always found it interesting to see how much people who have no real tie to an institution are willing to commit to that institution's representatives.

What's all the more curious to me is the willingness of those who are in that boat to talk derisively about other institutions and those who attended those institutions.

Agreed.

j-6
11-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Of course it is media related. People commit the same way to Cowboy football that have never lived in Dallas.

Duff McCartney
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I didn't go to OU but I plan to. I go to UTSA now and I root for OU. I was never into college sports but when I actually started watching I liked Oklahoma and the way Bob Stoops coached.

I wear my Oklahoma hoodie at school sometimes and I get alot of strange looks. Not that I really care. But I plan to go to Oklahoma for my Masters.

doobs
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM

It's all in good fun. Aggie jokes are as Texan as executing the mentally retarded.

lebomb
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
It's like a couple years ago when UT won the Natl. Champ. and everyone suddenly bled burnt orange.

I dont know.......but this chaps my arse. In the 90's you would see a small sprinkle of UT gear on the streets............now that is ALL you see. Its like everyone loves UT now that they are winning.....Oh wait.....everyone loves a winner? Wait till they start dropping games every year to A&M or Tech........that burnt orange gear will see alot of dresser drawers. :lmao

leemajors
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I went to UT, but i don't think you have to go somewhere to be a fan. Big schools are expensive as hell, not everyone can afford it.

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Buckeye and current Golden Flash

samikeyp
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I have been a Longhorn fan since birth and even though I never went to school there, there is absolutely nothing wrong with me being a fan of that program. I don't run around dropping the whole "We" and "us" thing nor do I claim myself as "a Longhorn". Both of those would imply that I attended UT. I do think its lame, however, when people drop the "We" and "Us" cards when referring to a school when they did not attend.

Applying rules to fandom is, IMO, stupid with one exception. If you are going to claim yourself as a fan of a team, no matter who it is, you stay loyal to that team through good times and bad times. I understand what Anti.Hero is talking about when he refers to UT winning the championship, suddenly there were a ton of Horns fan who two years before couldn't locate Austin on a map of Travis County. The same happened with A&M from the mid 80's into the late 90's when they were doing better more often than Texas was. I have no problem with any fan of any team who remains loyal to that team but to dictate who can be a fan of who is just stupid.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
If you are going to claim yourself as a fan of a team, no matter who it is, you stay loyal to that team through good times and bad times.

If I rooted for a team as a kid, went to school somewhere else and disavowed any interest in the team that I rooted for as a kid, am I a bad fan?

:)

monosylab1k
11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Meh, if you grew up in Texas and want to root for the Longhorns, who cares? Just you can't switch between them and the Aggies and so forth depending on who is better. Just like with pro teams.

The only rule I think for college teams is that if the school you went to DOES have a Div. 1-A football program (or FBS or whatever the hell it's called now) then you MUST root for them, you can't root for some other team. For example, you can't be a TCU alum and root for Oklahoma.

Other than that, the rooting "rules" for pro teams should apply to college teams, since it's basically a pro league anyways cuz the players are all getting paid.

cash459
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Red Raider straight out of high school

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I've always cheer for my alma mater.

The other college I root for is Texas A&M, except for the Dennis Franchione Aggie football team due to my dislike for him during his days there. That was my Dad's school, and I went there for awhile.

Finally I'll cheer for whatever non-BCS school is playing a BCS school, regardless of the sport because I root for the underdog.

purist
11-03-2008, 11:38 PM
UT grad and fan.
BTW, UT system and UT Austin are not one in the same.

Pet peeve is when people refer to UTSA as UT. Also when people root for teams with no rhyme or reason. I.e. Penn State in football, North Carolina in basketball, Stanford in baseball, etc. Seems bandwagon to me.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 11:53 PM
UT grad and fan.

Pet peeve is when people refer to UTSA as UT. Also when people root for teams with no rhyme or reason. I.e. Penn State in football, North Carolina in basketball, Stanford in baseball, etc. Seems bandwagon to me.

I go for USC in football, and UCLA in Bball.

chrisattsu
11-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I grew up in Iowa City and had several relatives graduate from the University of Iowa. So I have followed the Hawkeyes since I was born.

However,

I went to Tarleton State. It is an NCAA Division II school, so naturally, most people have not heard of it, but that is where my loyalty lies. My house is decorated with Tarleton stuff. I don't own a single piece of Texas, A&M, or Tech merchandise.

lebomb
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
UT grad and fan.

Pet peeve is when people refer to UTSA as UT.

No kidding..........I firmly believe this as well. Its like saying Ucla is Cal. That is why Im not a UT fan. I root for them against OU and thats about it.

lebomb
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM

I wonder why? :rolleyes

tlongII
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I graduated from Portland State, but I went to Oregon State my freshman year. My brother and sister are OSU grads. Since PSU football is merely Div I-AA I am much more involved in OSU football and baseball.

IronMexican
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I wonder why? :rolleyes

I woke up expecting more people to be pissed off at me. I was just tryiong to piss you guys off. Trojans, fuck the rest.

IronMexican
11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I graduated from Portland State, but I went to Oregon State my freshman year. My brother and sister are OSU grads. Since PSU football is merely Div I-AA I am much more involved in OSU football and baseball.

Didn't PSU make the dance last year? I think I watched their game.

K-State Spur
11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
KSU class of '05

lebomb
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I woke up expecting more people to be pissed off at me. I was just tryiong to piss you guys off. Trojans, fuck the rest.

I thought you went with USC because they are awesome in football, and Ucla because of their Bball success. You got me. :(

tlongII
11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Didn't PSU make the dance last year? I think I watched their game.

Yes, in basketball. I follow their basketball program as it's D1.

ATRAIN
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
UT grad and fan.

So then im not allowed to root for UT since my college didnt have a football team? :(

ClingingMars
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not an alum, just a freshman. GO DUKES!

-Mars

tonylongoriafan
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
UTSA & UIW grad...Longhorns footabll season ticket holder and avid fan...i love sports and it's not that far for top notch college football around. PLUS THE TAILGATING ALONE IS WORTH THE TRIP.

once UTSA gets football, I'll have to decide...plus I gotta rep UIW when that starts. basketball-wise, a UTSA season ticket holder, no feelings on the the longhorns in bball.

if you're willing to go and get involved, that's cool, no matter where you went...but no band wagon jumping.

Dr. Gonzo
11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
The Aggies are my D-1 football team. I've been a fan my whole life and since the school I graduated from doesn't have a football team I root for them. But now I go to North Texas grad school so I also follow the North Texas Mean Green. I root for them but obviously can't go to any games or even watch them on TV so I follow game casts.

As far as D-2 goes, I've been a A&M Kingsville fan since it was A&I and growing up 6 miles from the university I've been going to Javelina games my entire life and I went to school there for 3 years and got 80+ hours there. In D-1 basketball I'm an A&M Corpus Islander fan because that's where I graduated from.

Dr. Gonzo
11-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh and college baseball goes I root for A&M Corpus in D-1 and A&M Kingsville in D-2.

Spurminator
11-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I went to ACU and am a big fan of their football team. #2 in D2! I even skipped the UT/Tech game to stream their game against TAMU-Kingsville online. (Well, maybe not skipped... but had it on mute and definitely missed some of the bigger plays).

ClingingMars
11-05-2008, 03:23 PM

merely? hey, there's some good FB to be seen in FCS/AA.

-Mars

johngateswhiteley
11-06-2008, 04:05 PM
since technically, it means graduate or former student....yes. but i do know quite a few t.u., ucla, A&M, etc fans that did not go to those institutions, but their families did and they grew watching them play...that makes sense to me.

i'm not an authority, but as long as there is some type of history there and fans aren't just jumping each few years to the hot team...it seems acceptable.

Thunder Dan
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM

can you truly be a fan of a school when you root for their rival in a different sport? I'll never root for Michigan no matter what sport it is, and I'm sure Michigan fans would never root for the Buckeyes in anything from Basketball to fencing. Hell, I don't like Michael Phelps because he trained at Michigan (and because he is a Ravens fan). But this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

Doug Collins
11-06-2008, 05:41 PM
can you truly be a fan of a school when you root for their rival in a different sport? I'll never root for Michigan no matter what sport it is, and I'm sure Michigan fans would never root for the Buckeyes in anything from Basketball to fencing. Hell, I don't like Michael Phelps because he trained at Michigan (and because he is a Ravens fan). But this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

He was joking

RonMexico
11-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Born and raised in Phoenix - Dad attended ASU, so I root for them, but I've disowned their 2008 season and Holiday Bowl disaster. Nothing beats the 1997 Rose Bowl, even though it was a loss to Joe Germaine. Attended ASU for two summer school credits between my frosh and soph yrs while I was home from school.

Uncle attended Notre Dame, there is a baby photo from 1983 with me in an ND jersey, I was accepted to school there, and I think Brady Quinn is dreamy - I am a fan.

Attended A&M, graduated cum laude, root for them tirelessly in basketball and football. Absolutely hate rebuilding years, but think Mike Sherman is on the right track; really enjoy when we play spoiler to No. 1 Oklahoma in 2002 and Texas in '06 and '07. Really hate getting raped by Oklahoma State in Stillwater and Arkansas State at home.

Passing fads of fandom: when Gerry McNamara tore up the Big East tourney in 2006, I rooted for him and the 'Cuse for a week; when Hakim Warrick blocked a shot in the 2003 Championship Game to win me $250, he was my favorite player for a day; when Vince Young systematically destroyed USC in the 4th to win the Rose Bowl and I got to see the Pete Carroll face and the Matt Leinart "I still think we're the better team" interview, I cheered for Texas and the Big 12 that night.

If anyone feels the above breaks "rules," let me know.

IronMexican
11-07-2008, 01:09 AM

T'was a joke.

KewlKat00
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
usc '04. i definitely bleed cardinal and gold. it is a feeling that can't be put into words.

but i don't have a problem with fans that aren't alumni... as long as they have some reason for choosing that school, are knowledgeable, and, most importantly, are loyal until the very end... and i mean seriously loyal... to the point that losing makes you mad and/or sad for more than a minute or two.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I went to UM and can't help being a total homer, even when they break my heart. Which is a lot lately...

kwhitegocubs
11-12-2008, 01:22 AM
When it comes to college football, I actually just root for whatever team has the best chance of exposing the injustices of the BCS. For everything else I root for my state school, Illinois, since my alma mater is not so adept at basketball (terribly terrible in fact) and is lower division in many sports.

chode_regulator
11-14-2008, 12:06 AM
My parents met at Texas A&M, my sister graduated from A&M, my mother's side of the family is all from College Station...and I would still feel like a poser being diehard Aggie Football fan. That's just me though. Everyone takes offense to it, but that's just how I have always seen it.

everyone jumping on the band wagon always happens in every sport. i mean did yuo see all those people at the rays games in tampa? how many were there last year you think?or early in the season? and i belive Ut merchandise is still number one in sales so obviously its not just a natl champ that makes fans.

yeah the faggies that join "the corps" are gay. and you pretty much do have two choices, though of course there are other schools in texas. they suck though. and my college doesnt even have a football team. and you can bet if ut had my degree program i'd be there instead of florida.
i eman ive never owned a ferrari before but i still like those. or am i not allowed to bc ive never owned nor driven one?