PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi's interview

Bruno
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.ouest-france.fr/Basket-ball-Ian-Mahinmi-attend-son-heure-a-San-Antonio/re/sportsDet/actu_3638-733987------_actu.html

Friday, October 31th
Thomas GILBERT
ouest france

http://www.ouest-france.fr/photos/2008/10/31/P871086D733987G_apx_470__w_ouestfrance_.jpg

What was your state of mind this summer after an almost full season in D-League ?
As soon as the next day after the loss against the Los Angeles Lakers in the western conference finale, I was back at the weighting room, I worked on my shot… I almost didn't take holidays. I wanted to be in the sharpest shape for the start of the season.

In August, you've hurt your ankle. What was your reaction?
It has happened at the worst moment. It was very hard to live. I have worked so much during this summer. At first, it was only a big sprain but it has worsened. I had to have a hard cast up to the knee for more than one month. But I've continued to work on my upper body. I'm now doing the rehabilitation and I try to get back in playing shape.

Gregg Popovich wanted to integrate you with the team to give some youth to Spurs. When had he decided that ?
At the end of last season. We have spoken a lot and he was ready to give me my chance. But, beware, I still believe in it! I won't play before several weeks but this season can still be a turning point in my career. I haven't given at all on this season.

Are you afraid that the team set up without you and to be forgotten?
No. I work every day. It is only a matter of time. And Pop follows me very closely. He tells me to be patient. At first, I wanted to come back quicker than expected. But Pop has convinced me not to rush things. If the rehab isn't done well, consequences can be even worse.

Do you consider a return in the D-League?
If I have to go there, I will go there. But I know that it will only be to be back in shape.

What attitude has Tony Parker towards your situation?
We speak a lot with Tony. Sometimes, he sees that I'm not fine, that this situation isn't easy for me, that I'm ready to go ballistic. Then, with his experience, he reasons with me. One season is long and ten thousand opportunities can happen to me. I've understood one thing: when my day will come, when one will give me my chance, I will have to be ready.

You should have been a part of Spurs bigmen rotation. Did you feel ready to face NBA's colossus ?
Yes, I do now. I think I can backup Fabricio Oberto or Kurt Thomas to work in the paint. Physically, I've changed a lot. I am not the same than when I arrived to Spurs. I have taken so much weight that Tim Duncan has found me a new nickname: “Two Niny”, as if I was 290 pounds.

What do you think about what France NT has done this summer?
The team hasn't wont the qualification for the Euro 2009. But it's not the end of the world. There still a chance to be qualified. For years to come, things had to be clear. We have to know on who the NT can count on. As for the debate between European players NBA and players, it simply shouldn't be. In NBA, some French players do not play much, it's a reality. And it is not because you play in the league that is said to be "the best in the world" that you are better than a player playing in Europe. The only truth is the one on the court.

Do you think that Nicolas Batum has a chance to find his spot in Portland ?
He can do it because he is with a young team. But getting a solid spot in NBA depends on such little things. Despite of being 19 years old, he has a solid experience. He took his responsibilities with Le Mans and has played the Euroleague. He has a chance to succeed in Portland but he will have to be patient.

duncan228
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks Bruno. I like his attitude and I'm ready to see what he can bring us.

“Two Niny” :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Nice article. I'm hoping he gets a chance to prove himself. Heck, Bonner and KT are basically holding open the door for him to get a shot it seems.

timvp
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Great interview. Thanks, Bruno.

A lot of interesting parts. It sounds like he could really get his shot this year and that the Spurs themselves will likely be looking to give him a shot. It's great to hear that he's bulked up and worked hard this summer. The ankle injury sounds pretty serious if he had a hard cast up to his knee. Must have been a high ankle sprain, which can take up to about eight weeks to fully heal.

Oh and :lmao @ Duncan's nickname for him.

P.S.

Bruno, would you trade Mahinmi for Batum right now? :stirpot:

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I cannot believe that he had to be in hard cast. That sucks. I wonder how long he will actually be out.

benefactor
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Nice article. I'm hoping he gets a chance to prove himself. Heck, Bonner and KT are basically holding open the door for him to get a shot it seems.
Indeed...if he can't find a spot in the rotation this year then something is seriously wrong. We are searching desperately for a silver lining on the dark cloud that is our front line. Hopefully he works hard to get back and becomes just that.

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I cannot believe that he had to be in hard cast. That sucks. I wonder how long he will actually be out.He said several more weeks. Other reports have indicated mid-November but I'm guessing Dec. 1 is a more likely target date.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
He said several more weeks. Other reports have indicated mid-November but I'm guessing Dec. 1 is a more likely target date.

I know it said a few more weeks, but it keeps getting worse. There were rumors of him being back by the last game of training camp, then it was after the first few games, then middle of November and now possibly into December. It is going to be hard for him to get into the rotation unless he really surprises.

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
It is going to be hard for him to get into the rotation unless he really surprises.Eh, not really. If he comes back in December, he'll have five months to make an impression. That's plenty of time to earn a spot in the rotation.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Eh, not really. If he comes back in December, he'll have five months to make an impression. That's plenty of time to earn a spot in the rotation.

He is going to be competing for minutes with Bonner, KT, Oberto... I hope he gets at least some spot minutes when he gets back. Do you think he will get a real shot at getting some game time when he is back?

Bruno
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Bruno, would you trade Mahinmi for Batum right now? :stirpot:

Hard to tell but at the end, I would likely do it.
On a side note, I can definitely see Spurs signing Gelabale in one or two months.

tav1
11-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks, as always, Bruno. You're invaluable.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
On a side note, I can definitely see Spurs signing Gelabale in one or two months.

Do you know how much Ian weighs now Bruno? If he is up in weight significantly? Thanks for the article!

timvp
He is going to be competing for minutes with Bonner, KT, Oberto... I hope he gets at least some spot minutes when he gets back. Do you think he will get a real shot at getting some game time when he is back?Yes. Only way he doesn't is if the Spurs convince him to play the whole year in Austin ... but it doesn't look like he's willing to do that. At most it sounds like he'll go to Austin to get back in shape.

So yes, I definitely think he'll get a shot. Will he play well enough to stick in the rotation? That's tough to say. He was pretty bad in summer league but so was Hill (and Batum was about 100 times worse than either one). Pop is smart enough to realize that the Spurs need some athleticism on the front line. I fully expect him to give Mahinmi a legitimate shot.

If Mahinmi can play with energy, block a few shots and rebound the ball, I could also see him starting before the season is over. I don't think that's a likely scenario but I doubt Pop is married to the idea of having to use Oberto, KT and Bonner for the rest of the season.

urunobili
Batum>Mahimni already in the NBA :depressed

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Hard to tell but at the end, I would likely do it.Interesting. Noted :reading

On a side note, I can definitely see Spurs signing Gelabale in one or two months.Torn ACL right? Where is he doing his recovery?

Solid D
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I wonder if Pop has Ian waxing his car, sanding his deck, painting his fence, and catching flies with chopsticks?

You not ready, yet. Must work harder and clear mind of thoughts of surrender.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes. Only way he doesn't is if the Spurs convince him to play the whole year in Austin ... but it doesn't look like he's willing to do that. At most it sounds like he'll go to Austin to get back in shape.

So yes, I definitely think he'll get a shot. Will he play well enough to stick in the rotation? That's tough to say. He was pretty bad in summer league but so was Hill (and Batum was about 100 times worse than either one). Pop is smart enough to realize that the Spurs need some athleticism on the front line. I fully expect him to give Mahinmi a legitimate shot.

If Mahinmi can play with energy, block a few shots and rebound the ball, I could also see him starting before the season is over. I don't think that's a likely scenario but I doubt Pop is married to the idea of having to use Oberto, KT and Bonner for the rest of the season.

Cool, I hope that he gets a shot, at worst he does not play well and you can let KT and Oberto and Bonner share all the minutes. I just think it will be hard for him to showcase if he only gets 8 minutes a game. I think he will be used sparingly, but when he is used I hope he gets large chunks of time.

Bruno
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Do you know how much Ian weighs now Bruno?

Spurs have listed him at 245lbs for the summer league last July. If this weight was correct, he is maybe at 250lbs now.

Bruno
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Torn ACL right? Where is he doing his recovery?

Yes, French doctors are taking care of him. :stirpot:
He should be back in December..

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
We've seen a sorry display from our undermanned frontline so far this season. It would be hard to think he could do any worse that what we've already seen (sans Fab and Tolliver).

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Do you know how much Ian weighs now Bruno? If he is up in weight significantly? Thanks for the article!

With the extra bulk, I hope he hasn't lost any of his quicks.

timvp
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, French doctors are taking care of him. :stirpot:
He should be back in December..He'd be an interesting addition. Pre-injury, he was a pretty good defender. Although he didn't do much else.

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
With the extra bulk, I hope he hasn't lost any of his quicks.

He is still more quick than most, so he can afford the extra weight imo. He is a very good athlete.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Who is this Gelabale kid?

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Who is this Gelabale kid?

Played for the Sonics. Got injured.

MoSpur
11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for posting

Manufan909
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Nice interview, sounds like when he gets his chance, he'll go for it 120%. Hope he's back before Christmas!!!

DPG21920
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I think his poor SL showing was a case of him being ready to play for the Spurs. He hates the idea of going back to the Toros and he wants to show his stuff.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM

I looked him up. Sounds like a good prospect.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mickael-Gelabale-104/

What makes you believe the Spurs will be looking to sign this Gelebele kid?

wildbill2u
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Nixce to see that he and Pop are talking a lot. Some folks here think Pop doens't always have his hand on everything--but keeping in touch with a raw rookie who's injuries are keeping him away from the team at a crucial time in his career is great coaching

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Nixce to see that he and Pop are talking a lot. Some folks here think Pop doens't always have his hand on everything--but keeping in touch with a raw rookie who's injuries are keeping him away from the team at a crucial time in his career is great coaching

Agreed

Bruno
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
What makes you believe the Spurs will be looking to sign this Gelebele kid?

Farmer's agent wasn't overly confident about his client making the team once Manu would be back.
We can expect Spurs waiving Farmer in December and looking at another player to fill that roster spot.
Gelabale looks like a really good candidate to fill that spot, even more that he is a defensive minded SF and Spurs have tried to get one for two years.

Saying that, I'm just making suppositions and I could be way off on that. We will see.

angelbelow
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
i cant wait to see ian in action. its been too long.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Farmer's agent wasn't overly confident about his client making the team once Manu would be back.
We can expect Spurs waiving Farmer in December and looking at another player to fill that roster spot.
Gelabale looks like a really good candidate to fill that spot, even more that he is a defensive minded SF and Spurs have tried to get one for two years.

Saying that, I'm just making suppositions and I could be way off on that. We will see.

Very interesting. Now I'm filled with questions.
He seems very strong defensively. Is he defensively superior to Hariston? He doesn't seem to be a very good offensive player. Is he offensively inferior to Hairston? Is it assumed that they favor Gelebale over Hairston? When is he expected to be ready for action?

Magic_Johnson
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
He seems very strong defensively. Is he defensively superior to Hariston? He doesn't seem to be a very good offensive player. Is he offensively inferior to Hairston? Is it assumed that they favor Gelebale over Hairston? When is he expected to be ready for action?

he was a decent shooter when he played in europe and for the NT but i didn't see him play with the sonics.

Bruno
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Hairston has only played some preseason and scored 5 ppg. I will have a hard time comparing a player to him.
Gelabale qualities and flows are well described in the DX link you have given. The only comparison I can made with Hairston is that Gelabale is a couple of inches longer.
I don't know if Spurs are more interested in Hairston or Gelabale or even if they are interested in them.
Gelabale is expected to be ready to play in December.

SenorSpur
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Hairston has only played some preseason and scored 5 ppg. I will have a hard time comparing a player to him.
Gelabale qualities and flows are well described in the DX link you have given. The only comparison I can made with Hairston is that Gelabale is a couple of inches longer.
I don't know if Spurs are more interested in Hairston or Gelabale or even if they are interested in them.
Gelabale is expected to be ready to play in December.

Much appreciated!

Mark in Austin
11-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Shoot. He can't be worse than Elson was.

m33p0
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
So when the fuck are you gonna play?

Manufan909
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Have the Spurs shown any interest in Gelebale, or do you just think he is someone they should keep an eye on?

galvatron3000
11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
If Ian can rebound will and with energy and hit the high percentage shots around the rim he'll be in rotation and knock someone out of it. If this happens then I expect when Manu returns the Spurs will waive Farmer and make a run at someone else or possible give Salim another shot. I expect a trade by the deadline and we'll see what happens after that. Frontline help is of the utmost necessity at this point because energetic legs are in need. I'd say more so than scoring because if you can get on that glass with the great defense they play it will put them in a position to win games deep into the playoffs.