PDA

View Full Version : Christianity and Republicans

Medvedenko
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Probably not the most original thread, or at least the most revelatory...but considering most US christians or religious leaning people are heavily republican or at least conservative. Why is this, it doesn't really make sense to me and probably to anyone who has studied the bible, especially the teachings of Christ.

Jesus for all intents and purposes was an egalitarian and democratic. Far from the any republican talking points. Giving to the poor, helping the unfortunate, loving and forging everyone. I'm not saying the republican party is against any of these, but Jesus would definitely choose the left rather than the right. Also, given that Jesus had no care of monetary goals or ideologies. It's odd that the religious base in the US is right thinking. Interesting really, considering.....

Just a few musings.

PixelPusher
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
The beauty of a religion that has evolved across time, geography and cultures for the past 2000 years, and itself bears the legacy of an even older bronze age religion, is that there is no shortage of nooks and crannies to be found in the broad spectrum of biblical literature to comfortabley shoehorn your own cultural and ideological biases into.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Probably not the most original thread, or at least the most revelatory...but considering most US christians or religious leaning people are heavily republican or at least conservative. Why is this, it doesn't really make sense to me and probably to anyone who has studied the bible, especially the teachings of Christ.

Jesus for all intents and purposes was an egalitarian and democratic. Far from the any republican talking points. Giving to the poor, helping the unfortunate, loving and forging everyone. I'm not saying the republican party is against any of these, but Jesus would definitely choose the left rather than the right. Also, given that Jesus had no care of monetary goals or ideologies. It's odd that the religious base in the US is right thinking. Interesting really, considering.....

Just a few musings.

I see it is confusing to you -- kind of like how blacks and minorities consistently vote democrat - even though the democrats have never done anything for them except welfare and entitlements which -- acording to Bill Cosby and others - only hurts the community --

Well there is of course the whole Abortion issue - and then the same-sex marraige issue.... kind of big for us bible thumping religious zealots. but then the left has the Jew vote which is somewhat confusing as well - since the right is the big Israel supporter...

Shastafarian
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Well there is of course the whole Abortion issue - and then the same-sex marraige issue.... kind of big for us bible thumping religious zealots. but then the left has the Jew vote which is somewhat confusing as well - since the right is the big Israel supporter...

Maybe Jews aren't as stupid as you and don't like to be pandered to. "The Jew vote". Nice.

Oh, Gee!!
11-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I see it is confusing to you -- kind of like how blacks and minorities consistently vote democrat - even though the democrats have never done anything for them except welfare and entitlements which -- acording to Bill Cosby and others - only hurts the community --

and....... the post that proves the OP's theory.

Spurminator
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Well there is of course the whole Abortion issue - and then the same-sex marraige issue.... kind of big for us bible thumping religious zealots.

Not all of us.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Maybe Jews aren't as stupid as you and don't like to be pandered to. "The Jew vote". Nice.

Is it worse than the "christianity vote"

I. Hustle
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
First off as a person who grew up in the church let me tell you that it is divided as far as republican or democrat. To say that Christians are mostly repulican is pretty stereotypical. Most people think that because alot of the mega churches are republican but for every 1 mega church there are a ton of smaller churches.
Depending on the Pastor of the church they might not even consider themselves republican or democrat. Sometimes they actually just support whoever looks like the best candidate.

implacable44
Not all of us.

well those that believe in the Bible - literally

baseline bum

What about the not working on the Sabbath issue, and the not eating shellfish issue? Which side is the champion of forcing a rapist to marry his victim? Which side is pro-stoning disobedient children to death?

Shastafarian
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Is it worse than the "christianity vote"

Calling it the "jew vote" is like calling your vote the "cocksucker vote". It's just rude.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't care if your god would favor government depedence, but I will respect any god who appreciates independence, personal responsibility, hard work ethic, etc.

Jesus would probably understand these politicians true motives behind weakening the people through entitlements and gaining vast amounts of wealth from throwing out crumbs for votes.

If you don't understand conservative values and cannot see past the smoke and mirrors of the far-left democrat party you would probably ask such a question though.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
What about the not working on the Sabbath issue, and the not eating shellfish issue? Which side is the champion of forcing a rapist to marry his victim? Which side is pro-stoning disobedient children to death?

Nobody in government cares about the not working on the sabbath issue anymore... and I guess we would have to break it down by religion for some of those beliefs you mention.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Calling it the "jew vote" is like calling your vote the "cocksucker vote". It's just rude.

I am not the one with a banana down the throat avatar.

Shastafarian
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM
I am not the one with a banana down the throat avatar.

So you're also a Mark Cuban fan. Cool.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Does the OP not believe a citizen can give to the less fortunate themselves without having to use GOVERNMENT as a middle man?

The middle man that takes YOUR earned money and redistributes it to those who they see fit...

hater
11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Religion is a great tool the elite has used to control the masses. Thus a great tool for the Republican ideology

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Religion is a great tool the elite has used to control the masses. Thus a great tool for the Republican ideology

Just like Global Warming.

hater
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Just like Global Warming.

Except you can't scientifically prove religion.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Like GLobal Warming - Cap and Trade - Social Security and every other entitlement the givernemnt can use to make you depend upon them and allow them control.

implacable44
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Except you can't scientifically prove religion.

you mean like how they disproved Global Warming right >?

baseline bum
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Nobody in government cares about the not working on the sabbath issue anymore... and I guess we would have to break it down by religion for some of those beliefs you mention.

How can you call yourself a Christian if you vote for someone who doesn't believe in putting anyone to death who works on a Saturday?

Spurminator
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
well those that believe in the Bible - literally

You mean that literal verse where Christ instructs us to form a bloc and vote for leaders or propositions that will force Christian-principled laws on the masses?

hater
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Like GLobal Warming - Cap and Trade - Social Security and every other entitlement the givernemnt can use to make you depend upon them and allow them control.

You can't start a war with those 3 "tools" you listed above.

hater
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
you mean like how they disproved Global Warming right >?

who did? Palin? :lol

I Love Me Some Me
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Just a few musings.

There is not a perfect candidate. I think Christians find that the issues they consider to be important fall in line more with the Republican party than anything else. Not 100%, but certainly more than the Democrats.

As far as giving to the poor and unfortunate, I think Jesus' idea of that was for that to happen at an individual level. I don't think it was ever His thought that government should take your money, and give it away as they saw fit. I think He'd like for you to give to the poor and unfortunate by your own convictions. Taking care of the poor and unfortunate should be a personal matter, not a public one. And anyone who professes to be a Christian should do so because that is what their Bible commands them to do.

Remember, the Bible also says "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." I think that's contrary to a lot of wealth redistribution plans the democrats are proposing to put in place.

Spurminator
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
There is not a perfect candidate. I think Christians find that the issues they consider to be important fall in line more with the Republican party than anything else. Not 100%, but certainly more than the Democrats.

As far as giving to the poor and unfortunate, I think Jesus' idea of that was for that to happen at an individual level. I don't think it was ever His thought that government should take your money, and give it away as they saw fit. I think He'd like for you to give to the poor and unfortunate by your own convictions. Taking care of the poor and unfortunate should be a personal matter, not a public one. And anyone who professes to be a Christian should do so because that is what their Bible commands them to do.

Remember, the Bible also says "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." I think that's contrary to a lot of wealth redistribution plans the democrats are proposing to put in place.

Thing is, Jesus Christ never said anything about the government's role in providing for the poor. He didn't say it should be on an exclusively individual level and he didn't say the government should assist through taxation and redistribution. So it annoys me when both sides try to claim Christ as a supporter. Jesus didn't run for office.

smeagol
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Just a few musings.

Good point. I have always wondered this myself.

Spurminator
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Of course, Christ did pal around with a known corrupt tax collector.

I Love Me Some Me
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Thing is, Jesus Christ never said anything about the government's role in providing for the poor. He didn't say it should be on an exclusively individual level and he didn't say the government should assist through taxation and redistribution. So it annoys me when both sides try to claim Christ as a supporter. Jesus didn't run for office.
Jesus did speak specifically about caring for the less fortunate when teaching His followers. And there are Biblical concepts that provide insight into Christ's views on government's limited role...if I wasn't posting from my PDA I'd get into that more.

101A
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Just a few musings.

I'm done for the day, and haven't read this thread, but am simply posting a quick response to this post.

I feel it is very important to help the poor; I am commanded to do so. I have a human compassion for people of lesser means than myself, and I try to give generously as taught by Jesus. I often probably fall short, unfortunately of being as generous as I ought to, and can be too consumed with the false God that is money.

That said, I believe strongly that I am far more generous, and capable of helping the poor than the United States Government. In fact, I believe statistics bear out that most government programs cause the perpetuation and even proliferation of that which they are designed to combat. Despite this, their adherents are loathe to criticize, much less call for the end of such programs, despite years of failure. I see this as utterly uncaring and lazy.

Jesus taught to ACTUALLY help the poor. He did not teach that you could absolve your responsibility to do so by voting for somebody who promises to do so in your stead.

Medvedenko
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the comments. A lot of what I'm reading in the post contradicts the position of any party really having any claim towards christianity. Religion (the organization of the Jesus's teachings) and politics are definitely intertwined, hence the problem I have with any claims by either party.

Spurminator
11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Jesus did speak specifically about caring for the less fortunate when teaching His followers. And there are Biblical concepts that provide insight into Christ's views on government's limited role...if I wasn't posting from my PDA I'd get into that more.

Yes and we can all agree that we are called individually to do what we can to assist our fellow man, but that doesn't contradict any view of government's role. And there are no Scriptures that I'm aware of that specifically refer to a limited role of government with regards to caring for the poor, but I'd love to hear your perspective when you have time.

I Love Me Some Me
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the comments. A lot of what I'm reading in the post contradicts the position of any party really having any claim towards christianity. Religion (the organization of the Jesus's teachings) and politics are definitely intertwined, hence the problem I have with any claims by either party.
You're right....but on issues of abortion, homosexual marriage, etc...the Repubs have the inside track to the Christians.

DarkReign
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.

-Arthur C. Clarke

SpursWoman
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Of course, Christ did pal around with a known corrupt tax collector.

...and a whore. I'm so confused!

ploto
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I have said before that neither party comes down on the side of Christian perspectives on all issues and so you must decide like in all things which ones matter the most to you.

Personally, I believe the Republican party spouts a lot of rhetoric but does very little. If I really thought that somehow Republicans would do anything to lessen abortions then maybe it would matter to me, but Bush has been in for 8 years and he had full Republican control of both houses of Congress for 6 years, and there are still the same number of abortions today as there were 8 years ago. I think they just use issues get votes.

2centsworth
11-03-2008, 07:34 PM

the following should explain it.

Jesus for all intents and purposes was an egalitarian and democratic. Far from the any republican talking points. Giving to the poor, helping the unfortunate, loving and forging everyone.

republicans are way more charitable than democrats. BO and Biden talk a big game, but are truly only charitable with other peoples money not their own. BO and Biden have donated less than 1% of their income to charities.

I'm not saying the republican party is against any of these, but Jesus would definitely choose the left rather than the right. Also, given that Jesus had no care of monetary goals or ideologies. It's odd that the religious base in the US is right thinking. Interesting really, considering.....

Just a few musings.

The republicans believe their philosophies produce the capital necessary to cure societies problems.

spurster
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
There are several false memes running through this thread.

"Most Christians are Republicans." Most of the US are Christians, and Obama and the Democrats are looking to a big win. The "Abortion should be criminal" Christians are generally Republicans, as well as the "Everything should validate my religious choice, and not yours" Christians and the "Science is wrong, and I am right" Christians.

"The OT rules apply to Christians." Even a literalist should be able to figure out that the Council of Jerusalem said that the OT rules do not apply to Gentile Christians.

"The Bible/Jesus is for big/small/socialist/capitalist government." I think a Jubilee year would pretty much straighten everything out.