PDA

View Full Version : Schoening: Spurs And Toros Benefit From Snyder

duncan228
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Spurs and Toros Benefit from Snyder (http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html)
by Bill Schoening

I first remember Quin Snyder when he was a standout point guard playing for Coach K at Duke. I first met him when he was coaching the Missouri Tigers of the Big XII Conference. Now, he's drawing accolades from Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich for his work as head coach of the Austin Toros of the NBA "D" League.

Snyder took over the post prior to last season, replacing the late Dennis Johnson. Despite an ever changing roster, Snyder guided the Toros to the D League finals, narrowly falling to Idaho in the championship series.

After Sunday's Spurs practice, Popovich said of Snyder, "He has added a lot to the program. He's enthusiastic and is good at developing players." Snyder helped the Spurs coaching staff during training camp and regularly attends Spurs home games.

His knowledge of the Spurs system and culture should pay big dividends as he gets young players ready for the NBA.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Quin has done a good job in Austin. I'm hoping that the Spurs keep in in the loop with the the parent team enough as a quasi-assistant coach that he doesn't get tempted too soon by the other job offers that will inevitably be coming.