PDA

View Full Version : Quinn to start for Browns

SpursFanFirst
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Browns move Quinn into starting lineup, replacing inconsistent Anderson at QB
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3680927

The Cleveland Browns benched quarterback Derek Anderson on Monday in favor of fan favorite Brady Quinn.

The switch was announced Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

"No, I haven't really [considered it]," he said. "I haven't had a chance to talk to the coaches or anything. With a short week, I told them to go ahead and get started on Denver. They haven't even looked at this game yet."

Crennel was then asked if Anderson was still his starter.

"Yes," he said, "as of right now."

The move itself wasn't a surprise. After eight games, Anderson was completing less than 50 percent of his passes for a 3-5 team that is now a longshot to make the playoffs.

The Browns must feel it's time to see what they have in Quinn, who didn't play as a rookie until the final game of 2007, when he came in for one series and led the Browns to a field goal. Quinn was 3-of-8 for 45 yards and had a TD pass dropped by tight end Kellen Winslow.

The problem facing Quinn is whether he can turn around the Browns and salvage something from this season. Unfortunately for him, Quinn doesn't have the benefit of a full week of practice. The Browns host the Broncos on Thursday night, so Quinn will have only one really good practice with the first team.

On top of that, Quinn inherits the problems that got Anderson benched. During the offseason, the Browns invested in a seven-year, $35 million contract to bring Donte Stallworth's run-after-the catch ability to the offense. Because of injuries, Stallworth has barely been able to run onto the field. He's played three games and has seven catches, leaving the No. 2 wide receiver a non-functioning part of the offense.

No. 1 receiver Braylon Edwards leads the league in dropped passes, which obviously dragged down Anderson's accuracy and frustrated fans. After catching 82 passes last season, Winslow hasn't been the same threat, catching only 26 passes in six games with a 9.7 yard per catch average, 3.8 yards less than last season.

Quinn will bring energy and excitement to Cleveland. He'll also have the benefit of playing one of the worst defenses in football, which can make an average quarterback look good.

The problem facing Quinn is if he has a bad game. Quinn is the hope of the Browns fans. He's an Ohio native. Now, it's his team. For Anderson, he'll just have to await an offseason trade.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!" for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

A team spokesman said Crennel and Quinn would not be available for comment until Tuesday.

Earlier, Quinn was asked for his reaction to hearing fans call his name.

"We lost the game, really that's all that matters," he said. "That's something in the NFL, everyone always loves the backup. That's just how it is. It's not any different any place else."

Where the heck is ThunderDan?

I'm glad Quinn is getting his shot - even is most people think he sucks.

IronMexican
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
TD! Rejoice! Thunder Dan is partying somewhere. Are they mathematically out yet? I think the Browns are going 8-0, now.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Eric Zeier returns! Yeah, baby.

jack sommerset
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
TD is playing knuckle shuffle on his piss pumper over this news.

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
you guys and your NFL teams are f*cked. Lock up your wives, daughters and girlfriends the messiah is coming to a town near you to crush your dreams and your local football team.

mytespurs
11-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Didn't the Browns just pay Derek Anderson like $$$$$$$ a few months ago??!! My, how the mighty have fallen. :hat

jack sommerset
11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Didn't the Browns just pay Derek Anderson like $$$$$$$ a few months ago??!! My, how the mighty have fallen. :hat

Don't mean shit. They can tear up the contract,,,Thats the NFL.

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM

it's a contract that works big in the browns favor if Anderson sucks, and he does

tlongII
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Anderson is good. Cleveland is screwing him. Hopefully he'll go to a team and a city that will support him.

Thunder Dan
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Anderson is good. Cleveland is screwing him. Hopefully he'll go to a team and a city that will support him.

and by good you mean he threw a pick 6 in week 3 to lose the the Ravens, threw a pick six on a screen pass yesterday to lose to the ravens, and threw 4 INTs in the first half last year against the Bengals on Browns playoff clinch day...which never happened thanks to that stellar outing

tlongII
11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
and by good you mean he threw a pick 6 in week 3 to lose the the Ravens, threw a pick six on a screen pass yesterday to lose to the ravens, and threw 4 INTs in the first half last year against the Bengals on Browns playoff clinch day...which never happened thanks to that stellar outing

He's got a #1 receiver, Edwards, that leads the league in drops. His #2 receiver has been injured just about all year. He has NO support! He led the Browns to their first 10 win season in HOW LONG? You are nuts if you think Quinn is better.

monosylab1k
11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I guess the stock market is in decent enough shape for the moment, so Brady Quinn can leave that alone and take a few months to dominate the NFL.

Horry For 3!
11-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Browns are a fluke pretty much. It is just shitty that they had to be good when Cowboys had their 1st round pick :pctoss

Obstructed_View
11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
You are nuts if you think Quinn is better.

Believe it or not, I agree. It's impossible to know since he hasn't played. And since the Browns won't make the playoffs, they might as well find out now. If he's any good then the Browns have a tradable asset to get more help for whoever stays in Cleveland.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Believe it or not, I agree. It's impossible to know since he hasn't played. And since the Browns won't make the playoffs, they might as well find out now. If he's any good then the Browns have a tradable asset to get more help for whoever stays in Cleveland.

this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard- you actually think Brady Quinn won't be any good? LMAO...let me guess you think Michael Jordan was a decent basketball player

Dr. Gonzo
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I find Thunder Dan's homerism amusing.

I think Quinn will be a good QB. And I think it would be a bad move to trade Anderson. If this season has shown anything it's how valuable a good backup QB is.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
The Browns are planning for Thursday's game for Brady Quinn to enter the playing field shirtless while riding a white horse. And the team will hand out pink shirts for the first ever pink-out of the Broncos. God I feel sorry for the NFL.

Good luck everyone, you are going to need it

http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/horstal.jpg

http://boifromtroy.com/wp-content/Brady_Quinn.jpg

someone needs to help me out and photo shop Brady on his white horse in case someone doesn't get a good picture of it thursday

IronMexican
11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
:lol Thunder Dan is an underrated funny poster.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
http://treycruz.com/images/2008/02/brady-quinn.jpg

this one might be more of what you will see standing on the sidelines...man dentists and women woo over that perfect smile

IronMexican
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you jack off to him?

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Do you jack off to him?

I'm not gay, but if I were gay I guess I would. I mean what man doesn't think a smart (understatement), young, good-looking, QB with a laser rocket arm is something to not get excited about?

And if you don't think your savior riding in on a white stallion with his shirt off before his first game is cool then frankly there is something wrong with you

Obstructed_View
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard- you actually think Brady Quinn won't be any good?

Exactly when did you imagine that I said Quinn won't be any good? I agree that it's nuts to think he's better or worse than anyone else because he hasn't gotten any PT. Polish up on your reading comprehension, princess.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Exactly when did you imagine that I said Quinn won't be any good? I agree that it's nuts to think he's better or worse than anyone else because he hasn't gotten any PT. Polish up on your reading comprehension, princess.

sorry. I'm very excited- I'm like a 7 year old on Christmas morning

Obstructed_View
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
sorry. I'm very excited- I'm like a 7 year old on Christmas morning

I've been a Browns fan for a long time. I'm interested in seeing how he plays. I'm not sure that making the announcement Monday afternoon in preparation for a Thursday game is the best way to set up a guy to succeed, though.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I've been a Browns fan for a long time. I'm interested in seeing how he plays. I'm not sure that making the announcement Monday afternoon in preparation for a Thursday game is the best way to set up a guy to succeed, though.

Brady only needs 15 minutes to gameplan for a team- they are giving him 3 days- frankly I feel really sorry for Denver

Dr. Gonzo
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I just heard that Brady Quinn will be playing blindfolded just to give the Broncos a fighting chance.

DBryant88
11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Rumor has it Quinn see's how many women he can sex with in one minute before the game. Quinn boasts he can do 60 but most experts say the most he can hit is 50. Quinn proves them wrong by doing 70

Flintstones32
11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I just heard that Brady Quinn will be playing blindfolded just to give the Broncos a fighting chance.

Oh, I heard it was blindfolded PLUS tying his right hand behind his back. I mean it is just the broncos.

ATRAIN
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
any chance we can get Quinn to moonlight with the spurs as our shooting guard? He would score 81 like Kobe but all in the 1st qtr.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 02:15 PM

that sounds crazy but I could see the league doing that because they want a close game for the NFL Network.

It's like how they made Tim Couch wear 15 pound shoes when he was QB because they didn't want him using his 3.7 speed because it would be unfair to the rest of the NFL

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
any chance we can get Quinn to moonlight with the spurs as our shooting guard? He would score 81 like Kobe but all in the 1st qtr.

did you see when Quinn in highschool beat St. Vincent Saint Mary by himself in the state championship game? Quinn only finished with 60 points, but he held the St. V team to only 15 points the whole game (Lebron had a couple lucky 3's). See everyone associates Brady with scoring (for obvious reasons), but he really hangs his hat on the defensive side of the ball.

for this reasons Brady invented the sign with the giant "D" and the fence

http://wayneandwax.com/wp/images/D-fence.jpg

J.T.
11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I just changed the Browns game on my Colts calendar from a W to a L

Rappin' Quinn
11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Look at all you haters saying i wont be any good,
its time for me to step up, tired of sittin on the wood.
the day has finally come, NFL better watch out,
and it starts this Thursday when we beat Denver in a rout.
Although its week 10, the season starts in two days,
and you can ask Champ Bailey how my ass taste.

....he'll be sure to tell ya':hat

sa_butta
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
had Derek Anderson in my Fantasy league and just picked up Quinn, we will see what happens.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
had Derek Anderson in my Fantasy league and just picked up Quinn, we will see what happens.

2 things will happen

1)you will win your league
2) the others in your league will get pissed at you and not let you back in next year because you a technically cheating

J.T.
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Brady Quinn in fantasy is cheating? How? When I heard the news I immediately went to pick him up as a free agent--as I know he's going to throw at least 69 TDs during the rest of the season--but was bummed to see him already picked up by another team.

ATRAIN
11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Brady Quinn in fantasy is cheating? How? When I heard the news I immediately went to pick him up as a free agent--as I know he's going to throw at least 69 TDs during the rest of the season--but was bummed to see him already picked up by another team.

LMAO yeah that would be my team. If you want him JT your going to have to trade me your whole team..(But even that wouldnt be enough). Yahoo is letting me put him on any position. Where should I start him this week? I was thinking Defense.

sa_butta
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
2 things will happen

1)you will win your league
2) the others in your league will get pissed at you and not let you back in next year because you a technically cheating
it really doesnt matter at this point, he is my 3rd option. I have Kurt Warner and Drew Brees. I just picked him up so noone else would.

johnsmith
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I love that my team has now become so terrible at defense that they are the "experimental" squad for young quarterbacks to go against for the first time in their nfl career.

Mark my words, Quinn's career will peak tomorrow night because he's playing against one of the most piss poor defenses ever assembled (who are also now missing 4 starters due to injury). Quinn will go for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns and his career will all be down hill after tomorrow night.

Thunder Dan
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
it really doesnt matter at this point, he is my 3rd option. I have Kurt Warner and Drew Brees. I just picked him up so noone else would.

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't let jokes fly over your head

Obstructed_View
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I love that my team has now become so terrible at defense that they are the "experimental" squad for young quarterbacks to go against for the first time in their nfl career.

Mark my words, Quinn's career will peak tomorrow night because he's playing against one of the most piss poor defenses ever assembled (who are also now missing 4 starters due to injury). Quinn will go for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns and his career will all be down hill after tomorrow night.

Eric Zeier!

samikeyp
11-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Eric Zeier!

:lmao

Damn OV, you dug deep for that one!

Obstructed_View
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
:lmao

Damn OV, you dug deep for that one!

:lol Long suffering Browns fan. I still have the hat with a "19" in black tape from the day Bellichick cut Bernie Kosar for throwing a touchdown pass. EZ was a brief beacon of hope since that day.

samikeyp
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
What...no Brian Sipe reference? Cardiac Kids! :lol

Were you one of those Browns fans who bought a #18 Kosar Cowboys jersey when they
beat the Bills the second time? :lol

Obstructed_View
11-05-2008, 07:57 PM
What...no Brian Sipe reference? Cardiac Kids! :lol

Were you one of those Browns fans who bought a #18 Kosar Cowboys jersey when they
beat the Bills the second time? :lol

I'm not that long suffering. A buddy of mine in high school was from Cleveland and we'd watch Browns games with his dad. That's how I got hooked. I think it was Kosar's second year.

As a lifelong Cowboys fan, and an adopted Browns fan, Kosar's touchdown pass to Alvin Harper was one of the happiest moments of my life, as was his getting a ring before either Art Modell or Belisuck.

Thunder Dan
11-06-2008, 12:07 AM
as some people on here might know, My step dad was the kicker/punter/place kicker for the Kardiac Kids- he played from 1968-1980- he should have kicked the field goal against the Raiders, but Red Right 88 happened instead

IronMexican
11-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Lol, I watched the highlights to that game. Wasn't alive.

sa_butta
11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't let anyone tell you that you don't let jokes fly over your head

I get the jokes dude.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I picked him up in my FF league and put him in as starter. Don't let me down, Brady. I believe.

Flight3107
11-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Broncos run defense = LOL

Flight3107
11-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Broncos making Quinn look good

johnsmith
11-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Broncos making Quinn look good

Raiders fan, how bad is your team that they got smoked by these guys in week 1?

IronMexican
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
No shit we suck.