PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: West Just Got Tougher, And Spurs May Gain

duncan228
11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
West just got tougher, and Spurs may gain (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/West_just_got_tougher_and_Spurs_may_gain.html)
Mike Monroe Express-News Commentary

As if the Western Conference weren't tough enough already, the race for playoff berths got decidedly more difficult Monday afternoon.

With the trade that sent Allen Iverson from Denver to Detroit, in exchange for Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb, the Nuggets got back in the playoff mix after a summer of doing their best to land in next summer's draft lottery.

Billups is an All-Star point guard, one of the best backcourt defenders in the league. For the first time since he arrived in Denver in 2003, Carmelo Anthony has an All-Star setup man who can lead a fast break, consistently make 3-point shots and keep the Chris Pauls and Tony Parkers of the league from driving without getting bruised.

Suddenly, the team that gave its best defender to the Clippers and allowed its best defensive forward to sign with the 76ers has solved its inability to match up with taller opposing backcourts.

Now the Nuggets match up nicely with any backcourt, with Billups at the point and the athletic, maturing J.R. Smith at shooting guard.

The Nuggets may even be better off offensively. Iverson averaged 26 points and seven assists last season, but that just meant opponents didn't have to concern themselves as often with Anthony.

Iverson never has been a legitimate point guard. He is the classic combo guard, a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Nobody ever has questioned Billups' role, or his emphasis on defense.

Monday's blockbuster trade had every NBA fan buzzing trying to figure it out. Most of the confusion centered on McDyess, the 6-foot-9 forward-center who has been both an All-Star and an Olympic champion. According to a report in The Denver Post, the Nuggets will buy out his contract, making him a free agent with leeway to sign a veteran minimum contract.

Conversations with many front-office types, including some in Denver, lead me to believe the buyout is coming.

If he is cut loose by the Nuggets, will McDyess return there after sitting out for 30 days, as Brent Barry did after the Spurs traded him to the Sonics last spring?

Or would McDyess — keenly aware that Pistons general manager Joe Dumars sees Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell as his frontcourt of the future — find a title contender for whom to play the final two seasons of his contract?

That deal likely would still be worth at least $10 million to him; that would be paid by Denver owner Stan Kroenke.

And, if McDyess is available as a free agent already owed millions, wouldn't the Spurs be one of the teams he would have to consider?

After a two-loss opening week marred by a shortage of big men, the Spurs' bosses must be holding their breath awaiting confirmation of McDyess' buyout.

If he is available, the Spurs would be foolish not to make a hard run at him. They easily could clear a roster spot.

They have two first-year players, Anthony Tolliver and Desmon Farmer, whose contracts won't be fully guaranteed until late December. While the Spurs believe both players have futures in the NBA, waiving one to make room for McDyess would be painful, but cost-free.

McDyess would be an ideal Spur, too. He is humble and hard-working; standout defender and rebounder, and a solid citizen. I'm sure he would even enjoy yoga.

There would be other contending teams interested, of course. The Celtics may be one of them, and the Cavaliers certainly will be. Larry Brown's Bobcats may also be an option.

But the Spurs would have a couple of advantages, including proximity to Houston, where McDyess makes his summer home. Plus, he doesn't care much for cold weather.

Gregg Popovich made a quick flight to Memphis last season to convince Damon Stoudamire to sign with the Spurs after the Grizzlies bought him out of his deal. He would be nuts not to make a similar trip for McDyess.

galvatron3000
11-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Spurs should be patient and see what else happens before the Trade deadline. Don't panic right now after two games. Look at the schedule, give Mason some rope and monitor Manu's progress. Also, don't be surprise, depending on his play, to see Finley turn into Steve Smith 2003 and Farmer bring that Manu 2003 scoring off the bench minus some extras of course.

Even Detroit seems to be emulating the Spurs and perhaps placing Iverson on the bench as Manu part II.

Mr. Body
11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Grab him if you can.

Avitus1
11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Think the Spurs should play a few more games before they start thinking of picking up more players.

Whisky Dog
11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Buyout Bonner and bring in Mac.

BlackSwordsMan
11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
cut the breaks to bonner's prius

Manufan909
11-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Fuck, I'm getting all excited and hopeful that the Spurs will get him, just like with Smith and Maggette over the summer. At least this time it not only seems possible, but probable as well. Shit the closest team to the Pistons is the Spurs.

romad_20
11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I like him. He can bring scoring.

timvp
11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Damn, this McDyess scenario is starting to seem a bit more likely. The Spurs have a little more than $2M of their MLE money left over. They have about $2.2M of breathing room before the lux tax threshold. The Spurs could even give him a two-year contract with a player option on the second year to offer him even more guaranteed money.

Throw every available penny at McDyess. Sell him on the idea of winning a championship, being able to compete for a starting job and playing near to his offseason home.

The Spurs' bigmen would suddenly be pretty damn deep. You have McDyess who can hit the open jumper and defend against most bigs. You have KT who you can bring in when the Spurs face a big bruiser such as Shaq, Yao, Oden or Bynum. Oberto can be damn good against finesse bigs because he's pretty physical and crafty at the offensive end. Mahinmi would have great players to learn from and could still possibly carve out a niche. And then Bonner and Tolliver would be available if the opposition ever starts to sag too far or Duncan needs more room to operate.

McDyess would actually bring a lot of what Horry used to bring minus the three-pointers and plus a little more rebounding. Hopefully Pop and the Spurs go hard after McDyess :tu

milkyway21
11-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Think the Spurs should play a few more games before they start thinking of picking up more players.
I agree.

1 pt loss vs Portland but the Spurs really impressed me, esp Mason and TP in the 4Q of that game. With our new recruits, and Manu out, I did not expect a winning streak for this team early this season. Let us not panic.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
11-04-2008, 12:36 AM
BRING ON McDYESS!!!!!!!

SequSpur
11-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Damn, this McDyess scenario is starting to seem a bit more likely. The Spurs have a little more than $2M of their MLE money left over. They have about $2.2M of breathing room before the lux tax threshold. The Spurs could even give him a two-year contract with a player option on the second year to offer him even more guaranteed money.

Throw every available penny at McDyess. Sell him on the idea of winning a championship, being able to compete for a starting job and playing near to his offseason home.

The Spurs' bigmen would suddenly be pretty damn deep. You have McDyess who can hit the open jumper and defend against most bigs. You have KT who you can bring in when the Spurs face a big bruiser such as Shaq, Yao, Oden or Bynum. Oberto can be damn good against finesse bigs because he's pretty physical and crafty at the offensive end. Mahinmi would have great players to learn from and could still possibly carve out a niche. And then Bonner and Tolliver would be available if the opposition ever starts to sag too far or Duncan needs more room to operate.

McDyess would actually bring a lot of what Horry used to bring minus the three-pointers and plus a little more rebounding. Hopefully Pop and the Spurs go hard after McDyess :tu

You think so huh?

The Truth #6
11-04-2008, 01:40 AM
He's probably going back to Detroit. But if he doesn't...it's an interesting possibility. I'm reluctant to sign another up there in years veteran to more than one year. Next year is bad enough with the prospect of a severely aging KT and Finley. If we could get him for one year then I would like it a lot more but I realize a one year contract is not going to get it done.

I haven't followed his game closely enough as of late. If he can greatly help on the boards then I'm more interested. If he's another "glue guy" then I'm not as interested. He needs to be able to contribute something tangible in my opinion to help our defense or offense. He's been able to hit the medium jumper, but then that's what I thought about KT before he showed up. It's no wonder Pop is always cruising for the next shooter - everytime we sign one they start throwing up bricks.

The obvious route would be to waive Farmer, but I would think that for us to add another big we would have to bring sanity to the Bonner/Tolliver redundancy. Bonner is the better proven shooter by a long shot (sorry) but because Tolliver hasn't disappointed us yet so people seem to favor him.

Knowing the Spurs, we'll throw everything we have at him, only to get let down.

Blackjack
11-04-2008, 01:43 AM

:toast

He'd be a hell of a pick-up.

He may not have Horry's 3-point range, but he'd keep the paint open for Tim,Tony, and Manu with his outside shot.

His 17-18' jumper is as good or better than Kurts, but he provides much more athleticism and mobility on both ends of the court.

In honor of Horry, I say: "Roll Tide"! :flag:

SpurSupremacist
11-04-2008, 02:19 AM
If Marbury is waived, he would be a bigger pickup than McDyess. Sure, McDyess is servicable. He isn't that much better than Bonner is, and I'd probably rather have Oberto because of superior basketball IQ. People forget why Marbury is a headline, even when he hasn't stepped onto the court lately, it's because he can flat out ball. Currently Jacque Vaughn is the backup point. That won't get it done. Not this year.

SpurSupremacist
11-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Fuck, I'm getting all excited and hopeful that the Spurs will get him, just like with Smith and Maggette over the summer. At least this time it not only seems possible, but probable as well. Shit the closest team to the Pistons is the Spurs.

You're comparing 2 prime-time players to a washed up veteran. Something we've had too much of around here, especially at the big man spot. See: Robert Horry

Heath Ledger
11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Mcdyess is far from a washed up veteran, he starst off a little slow each season because of his knees, he doesn't abuse himself in the off season so he takes a bit of time to get into form, however his jumper is on more nights than its not and he is a great rebounder and good defender. You guys would be so lucky to land him on your roster. I hope he comes back to the d for one more run at the championship.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Sounds like the Nuggets may not waive Dyess. FO saying they will sit down and talk to him.

anakha
11-04-2008, 03:32 AM
If Marbury is waived, he would be a bigger pickup than McDyess. Sure, McDyess is servicable. He isn't that much better than Bonner is, and I'd probably rather have Oberto because of superior basketball IQ. People forget why Marbury is a headline, even when he hasn't stepped onto the court lately, it's because he can flat out ball. Currently Jacque Vaughn is the backup point. That won't get it done. Not this year.

:lmao at the idea of Marbury being the answer to the Spurs' problems.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-04-2008, 03:38 AM
of course it could be a smokescreen so Stern didnt screw things up :lol

11-04-2008, 03:43 AM
not only can mcdyess shoot but he isn't afraid to finish strong around the rim. he also has the potential to put up 15-20 points occasionally. unlike oberto, bonner, and thomas, he can be a post presence offensively when duncan isn't in the game. would not be an athletic midrange defender the spurs need but would be a great acquisition. an upgraded offensive version of kurt thomas.

anakha
11-04-2008, 04:16 AM
of course it could be a smokescreen so Stern didnt screw things up :lol

Thank Stackhouse for that.

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:31 AM

No, they shoulda had plenty of time to see how bad Fab,Kurt and Matt compliment Timmy last season. It was nice to see 2 teams trade away their bread and butter in order to get themselves better. Lets just hope our FO does the same. As for the Nuggets even thou they got the better deal, its their coach that will keep Denver from reaching its potential. The Pistons I dont worry about because they're in the east. But my hats off to 2 organizations that said, its now or never. Please let that rub off on our FO. Id trade Manu for a Manu valued big. He is the only one we can trade. Tony can give us 25points and so can Timmy. Tony and Timmy make more sense then Manu and Timmy. Or Tony and Manu. Trade Manu and throw in Fab.

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Easily an upgrade for sure. And if your thinking this season only then why not?

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Not last year either. And I also agree Marbury would be a great backup for TP. The best back up he's had yet. If your not including Manu. But I would work on the Bigs first. Thats the area we are weakest at this point.

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Mcdyess is far from a washed up veteran, he starst off a little slow each season because of his knees, he doesn't abuse himself in the off season so he takes a bit of time to get into form, however his jumper is on more nights than its not and he is a great rebounder and good defender. You guys would be so lucky to land him on your roster. I hope he comes back to the d for one more run at the championship.

You started off saying he isnt washed up then said its because his knees.:lol Dude that means he's washed up. In truth he really is. Not sure why it took so long for the pistons to see it. Or maybe the pistons just we'rent ready to let Billups go. Now the pistons have some better bigs and look how easy it is to let him go. I dont want someone elses trash. But I do like how bold both clubs are by making this trade.

2Cleva
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Dyess will end up in Boston.

MarHill
11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
No, they shoulda had plenty of time to see how bad Fab,Kurt and Matt compliment Timmy last season. It was nice to see 2 teams trade away their bread and butter in order to get themselves better. Lets just hope our FO does the same. As for the Nuggets even thou they got the better deal, its their coach that will keep Denver from reaching its potential. The Pistons I dont worry about because they're in the east. But my hats off to 2 organizations that said, its now or never. Please let that rub off on our FO. Id trade Manu for a Manu valued big. He is the only one we can trade. Tony can give us 25points and so can Timmy. Tony and Timmy make more sense then Manu and Timmy. Or Tony and Manu. Trade Manu and throw in Fab.

I'm sorry...that's crazy. Manu is not going to be traded and shouldn't be traded. He is the straw that stirs the Spurs...period. You don't get rid of something who can elevate the Spurs to a championship.

You have consistency in Duncan, you have flash in Parker, and you have dynamic ability and intangibility in Ginobili!! No way the Spurs should get rid of Ginobili!!

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow did yall read the blog after this article via mysa.com? But thanks so much duncan228 hahaha. Check out what people are saying that probably dont come here. Im not surprised. One of the blogs is good. Losing Scolla will haunt the spurs until Timmy retires. hahahaha

SenorSpur
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM

You've got to be kidding about Marbury. Stop and think for a minute. Sure he can ball, but that's not the point. There is a reason he keeps "washing out" at every stop he's ever been - because he's a fucking CANCER. This guy cares nothing about nothing and no one but himself.

If you had any delusions of him playing here, well, with his ego, he's not goint to ride the bench for anyone. Forget it. He's a terrible fit on a bad team in New York and would be a terrible malcontent here or anywhere else he goes - no matter if he can ball or not. You just cannot underestimate the value of team chemistry. Don't fall in love with the name on the back of the jersey.

AA2120
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
sign his ass upp!!

Man In Black
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
McDyess is an ultimate backup big who provides all the things that Horry & Bonner do combined EXCEPT for 3 point shooting. He shoots a high FG%, he gets a high RPG and is enough of a blocking threat to force opponents' FG% down.
Dice man would be an awesome Spur.

Dice...it's an odd-year and if you come to San Antonio...you could get 1 of these :lobt2:

baseline bum
11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Dice would likely start here, and he'd be an incredible pickup.

Manufan909
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Too bad Denver is forcing his hand. Fuckers need to waive him, come to a deal somehow. Come on, work the beard, Pop!!!

Spork KIller
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
How Old is McDyess?

Hahahah
Your pathetic team won't get him and if they do, they just keep getting OLDER!!

Stinky old farts!!

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd love having Dice on the team..but I'll believe it when I see it..just like EVERY OTHER name that comes up and we don't get..happens very often..

Ghost Writer
11-04-2008, 10:23 PM
This is what the Spurs are reduced to?

Hoping that McDyess signs with us?

I feel like the Spurs are the Salvation Army for washed up, waived veterans.

NugzFan
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Too bad Denver is forcing his hand. Fuckers need to waive him, come to a deal somehow. Come on, work the beard, Pop!!!

we arent waiving him - if he wants to play for us fine but we arent going to pay for him to play somewhere else.

the spurs would do the exact same thing. every team would.

Dramon
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
This is what the Spurs are reduced to?

Hoping that McDyess signs with us?

I feel like the Spurs are the Salvation Army for washed up, waived veterans.

Yeah, seriously...I thought everyone was complaining a few months ago that we weren't getting any younger and now we wanna sign McDyess?

Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of him as a player...but I can see it a few months down the line if it happens and doesnt work out. ST is gonna be all "the FO is horrible...they signed another old player instead of getting younger...what are they doing." Make up your minds people.

Supergirl
11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd love to see us go after McDyess