PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Oberto Cleared To Return

duncan228
11-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Spurs' Oberto cleared to return (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Oberto_cleared_to_return.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The Argentine with the recurring medical problem walked off the practice court, grinned into the TV cameras, and gave Spurs fans the best news they've had all week.

Yes, Fabricio Oberto said, he should be ready to play against the Dallas Mavericks tonight.

“I practiced yesterday and today,” Oberto, the Spurs' 6-foot-10 sometime starting center, said Monday. “I feel pretty good, so I think I can play.”

The fiesta among Spurs fans will be a little hardier next month, when another sidelined Argentine — Manu Ginobili — finally looks into the cameras and says something similar.

For now, the return of an Argentine, any Argentine, is cause enough for celebration.

Oberto, 33, missed the first two games of the season after the surprise return of a heart condition called atrial fibrillation.

The malady, manifested as an irregular heartbeat, first surfaced in Oberto in April of 2007. Its reappearance on the eve of the season opener forced the Spurs to face the gargantuan front lines of Phoenix and Portland without one of their grittiest rebounders — and with only three players in uniform taller than 6-7.

“Obviously, being down a big (man), trying to play a game with three, we got hurt on the offensive glass,” forward Tim Duncan said. “That's what maybe we missed the most, (Oberto's) physicality.”

After two losses by a combined six points, the Spurs are 0-2 for the first time in 12 seasons. Tonight at the AT&T Center, they will be looking to avoid their first 0-3 start since joining the NBA.

Had either Argentine been available they might be 2-0.

The Spurs knew what they'd be missing when Ginobili aggravated a nagging ankle injury in the summer Olympics, resulting in offseason surgery.

Ginobili wasn't just the Spurs' top scorer last season, he was their catalyst. He was also the Spurs' best closer, the player most likely to be handed the ball late in close games.

Certainly, he would have been useful on that final, frenetic fast break at Portland, which ended with Michael Finley missing a short jumper as time expired on a 100-99 victory for the Trail Blazers.

“That's one less person out there to make plays,” forward Ime Udoka said. “Manu was great last year, finishing games and taking big shots, so he was probably missed a little bit.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't believe the Spurs will be able to consistently recover the nearly 20 points per game Ginobili provides. As such, he says the Spurs should be prepared to attack the other side of the scoreboard equation.

“The defense can't slack,” Popovich said, and he believes it did in the 103-98 season-opening loss to Phoenix. “We miss Manu and his scoring and his steals and his game-changing shots. We can't go without our defense, too.”

Here, too, the Spurs' lesser-known Argentine might have helped.

Reflecting on life without Oberto, Duncan sounded like a man poised to pen one of those sappy, '80s-style power ballads.

“I guess you don't realize what you have until it's kind of gone,” Duncan said.

Oberto's ordeal began a week ago today. He was lifting weights, as per his daily routine, when he experienced a familiar unsettling sensation.

“Like my heart was in my neck,” Oberto said.

It was the same organs-out-of-place feeling he had two Aprils ago. To fix it then, Oberto had to undergo a procedure to essentially shock his heart back into time.

Last Tuesday night, he underwent the same procedure.

“It was pretty easy,” Oberto said, knowing no tinkering involving a human heart ever is.

A successful slew of daily exams led team doctors to clear Oberto to play against Dallas.

“I'm happy to be able to play, and try to help the team,” Oberto said.

No matter which Argentine had uttered the above sentence, the Spurs are confident he will.

tp2021
11-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Having Oberto would have definitely resulted in at least one, if not 2, wins.
One backup big is not enough.

timvp
11-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Good to have Oberto back. He played the best basketball of his life following his last heart procedure, so I'm not too worried about him being ready to play this time around.

It's not going to be an easy first game back considering he'll probably start and be matched up against Dirk Nowitzki :lol

tp2021
11-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Good to have Oberto back. He played the best basketball of his life following his last heart procedure, so I'm not too worried about him being ready to play this time around.

It's not going to be an easy first game back considering he'll probably start and be matched up against Dirk Nowitzki :lol

I remember the time Oberto was backing Dirk down on the right block, spun baseline, and stuffed it with one hand. I was going crazy!

We still lost, IIRC.

Manufan909
11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
What season?

tp2021
11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
The first season Oberto was on the team.

Manufan909
11-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Nice. I still remember his perfect game against the Suns, where he shot 11 for 11.

Kongfu
11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Good news.

angelbelow
11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
cant wait to have obie back. and some depth in tolliver.

TDMVPDPOY
11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
OK LETS get this winning streak going

DPG21920
11-04-2008, 01:07 AM
My man Obertooooooooooooooo! I do this awesome yell when Oberto does something good and my friends love it. It kind of like what a PA guy would do, but I throw out an OOOOOOOOOOOOberrrrrrrrrrrtooooooooooooooooooo

BWS-1994
11-04-2008, 04:16 AM
I'd like to see Oberto go all out but if Pop wants him to take it slowly, then it's understandable.

mrspurs
11-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Great........... bring back the choke artist. With Fab back it will show the FO just how far behind we really are. After all Fab doesnt play well with out his sidekick Manu. Fab just doent play well period.

Solid D
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Great........... bring back the choke artist. With Fab back it will show the FO just how far behind we really are. After all Fab doesnt play well with out his sidekick Manu. Fab just doent play well period.

You guys are so easy to mess with.

I'll go ahead and post this ^ now, so you won't feel the need...after folks pile on you.

Solid D
11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
:rolleyes

We born to be bad
11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I remember the time Oberto was backing Dirk down on the right block, spun baseline, and stuffed it with one hand. I was going crazy!

We still lost, IIRC.

plays vs dirk like this reversal dunk? .1first play on this video

http://i36.tinypic.com/33xio0k.jpg

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/spurs/2008/09/27/teams.sanantonio.spurs.fabricio.oberto.061124.nba/index.html?player=team&q=SAS

or great tip vs dirk and mavs bigmen?. 38' of the mix video.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rfyn0k.jpg

LDeRB_k7b2Y

choke artist? mrs spurs=Bword

bdictjames
11-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Always fun to see him play.

SenorSpur
11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
My man Obertooooooooooooooo! I do this awesome yell when Oberto does something good and my friends love it. It kind of like what a PA guy would do, but I throw out an OOOOOOOOOOOOberrrrrrrrrrrtooooooooooooooooooo

Hope he gives you reason for multiple yells tonight!

team-work
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM

The heart procedure is the ultimate solution to finding a perfect big man playing next to Duncan!

Spurs Brazil
11-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Great news. Thomas is playing terrible so I think Fabricio will help a lot

tp2021
11-04-2008, 01:48 PM
plays vs dirk like this reversal dunk? .1first play on this video

http://i36.tinypic.com/33xio0k.jpg

That's it exactly.

Jahivah
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Hooray. He can go back to averaging 5 poitns and 5 rebounds per game. I'll be more excited when Mahinmi gets back.

Solid D
11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Hooray. He can go back to averaging 5 poitns and 5 rebounds per game. I'll be more excited when Mahinmi gets back.

Well, I know of at least one guy who's looking forward to getting Fab back on the floor. Tim Duncan.

duncan228
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Hooray. He can go back to averaging 5 poitns and 5 rebounds per game.

Could have been the difference the first 2 games.

#2!
11-04-2008, 04:25 PM
maybe the best 5 and 5 in the league.

no definitely.

Manufan909
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks, born to be bad. You reminded me why I love Fab. Doesn't mean I wouldn't trade him in a heartbeat for McDyess, but his intangibles and basketball IQ are off the charts.

benefactor
11-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow...wish we could have had the younger years of Oberto. He looks like he was pretty athletic back then.

Manufan909
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I think he was just more confident, and he wasn't playing with a big who is the best PF ever, kinda overshadows his contributions. Love to see an alternate reality where Fab got in the NBA at 25, and was on a team where he was by far the best big. I think he could be a 15 and 8 guy.