PDA

View Full Version : Here's a fun stat!

Extra Stout
02-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Let's look at the teams with the 15 best point differentials of all time, and see how they did:

1. +12.3, 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers, NBA Champions
1. +12.3, 1995-96 Chicago Bulls, NBA Champions
3. +12.2, 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks, NBA Champions
4. +11.1, 1971-72 Milwaukee Bucks, lost to '72 Lakers in West finals
5. +10.8, 1996-97 Chicago Bulls, NBA Champions
6. +10.7, 2004-05 San Antonio Spurs (season in progress), ???
7. +10.4, 1991-92 Chicago Bulls, NBA champions
8. + 9.4, 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers, NBA champions
8. + 9.4, 1969-70 New York Knicks, NBA champions
8. + 9.4, 1985-86 Boston Celtics, NBA champions
11. + 9.3, 1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers, NBA champions
12. + 9.2, 1961-62 Boston Celtics, NBA champions
13. + 9.0, 1985-86 Milwaukee Bucks, lost to '86 Celtics in East finals
13. + 9.0, 1990-91 Chicago Bulls, NBA champions
13. + 9.0, 1993-94 Seattle SuperSonics, lost in first round to #8 seed

Anybody notice a trend? Every team on this list either has won the championship or lost to a team higher on the list, except the '94 Sonics.

So, basically, if the Spurs don't win the championship this year, they might qualify as the biggest chokers in NBA history, such is their margin over the rest of the league. Right now the '94 Sonics are the biggest chokers.

BronxCowboy
02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Biggest chokers in history if they don't win? Wow, talk about pressure. Nice post, btw. I knew this team was pretty good in terms of point differential, but I was wondering where they stood among other great teams. That said, we'll see if they can maintain that down the stretch. Keep your fingers crossed!

FromWayDowntown
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
those stats are meaningless. Anyone can cherry-pick some numbers to support a position. If you've watched the games, you can't deny that the Spurs are ridiculously inconsistent and that the Suns are probably the best NBA team since the 1996 Bulls.

Solid D
02-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Good data pull, Extra Stout.

If you calculated the +/- average as a percentage of total points...Spurs are probably at or near the top of the list.

Extra Stout
02-18-2005, 01:57 PM
This confirms exactly what impartial observers all over the world and I have been saying. The Spurs are exactly like the '94 Sonics. The Sonics lost three games to an inferior team in a playoff series, while the Spurs already have lost three games in the past three weeks. With the drawn-out playoff format, this does not bode well. Meanwhile the Suns, Sonics, Mavericks, Heat, Rockets, Grizzlies, and Pistons all compare favorably against the great teams when you look at important stats like the fg% of their reserve small forward on a Wednesday night after January against an opponent starting with the letter "C."

Thanks for making my point Extra Stout. Now fuck off.

Rick Von Braun
02-18-2005, 02:05 PM
This confirms exactly what impartial observers all over the world and I have been saying. The Spurs are exactly like the '94 Sonics. The Sonics lost three games to an inferior team in a playoff series, while the Spurs already have lost three games in the past three weeks. With the drawn-out playoff format, this does not bode well. Meanwhile the Suns, Sonics, Mavericks, Heat, Rockets, Grizzlies, and Pistons all compare favorably against the great teams when you look at important stats like the fg% of their reserve small forward on a Wednesday night after January against an opponent starting with the letter "C."

Thanks for making my point Extra Stout. Now fuck off.^^ RACK THIS ^^

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

bigzak25
02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
that's some great shit xstout. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
02-18-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks for making my point Extra Stout. Now fuck off.WHAT A FUCKING MORON!! JESUS! I REALLY DON'T THINK HE IS A SPURS FAN, HE IS TOO FUCKING NEGATIVE!!

:oops nevermind, LOL!! this thing is so on the mark, I thought it was real! hehehe :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

RobinsontoDuncan
02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
umm....you know extrastout was jut kidding right.......^^

td4mvp21
02-18-2005, 05:03 PM
he may be kidding but he hit it right on the mark. lol.

SpursWoman
02-18-2005, 05:22 PM
^5 Extra Stout. :lmao

Geno Billy
02-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Thanks for making my point Extra Stout. Now f*** off.

Dude, that's some funny gibbage you be layin' down on ma' man, BuTons.

GoSpurs21
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey buttons how do those teams you mentioned play D when compared to the great teams? Last time I checked that was more important than FG%. D win Chamionships.

Mark in Austin
02-18-2005, 09:45 PM

Thanks for making my point Extra Stout. Now fuck off.

:rollin holy shit, that is some damn stout smack right there.