PDA

View Full Version : Rose being showcased?

benjirh
02-18-2005, 01:03 PM
I was just curious on what other people thought about the pt for Rose. I love Rose and think he is a great energy player, so don't assume I am writing this because I want him out. But do people feel that Pop is letting Rose show what he can do, so other teams will call. Or is it mainly because of the injury to Horry and the "ankle?" of Duncan. Maybe it is a little of both. I was wondering if maybe Rose wouldn't mind heading back to Philly. I guess if he does get traded, that is where I would want him to end up. What about this trade:

Rose to Philly (Philly gets a hustle guy, hometown hero, and a smaller salary)
K. Thomas to Toronto (Toronto gets a young, athletic, scoring SF/PF)
Marshalll to SA (SA gets an expiring contract and a serviceable SF/PF)

The reason I come up with this is because I had heard Philly wasn't sold on Thomas and that SA and Toronto had some conversations about a Rose/Marshall trade, but Rose wasn't athletic enough. But who knows, those are just rumors.

Solid D
02-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Rose for Dalembert, maybe. :)

They may be showcasing him, but I doubt he's getting the minutes for that reason. The Spurs need him playing big minutes right now with all the injuries. Any way, most teams already know him and what he can do.

spur219
02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Rose for Dalembert would be awesome but the salaries don't match. Dalembert is really not being used well in Philly and he can become a double double type of guy. He is an excellent defender and has excellent footwork due to his younger days when he played soccer

sbsquared
02-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Pop said (I think it was last week) that the Spurs were not going to make any changes this season. I think Malik is getting the minutes because of the injuries to Tim, Rasho and Horry. Malik is finally playing like the old Malik that earned him the contract that everyone is so down on now!

I don't think Malik wants to go anywhere! He moved his family here last year (his little brother plays basketball for Reagan High School), he had a new house built and he now owns two businesses here in S.A. This is his home and this is where he wants to stay!

wildbill2u
02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Rose for Dalembert, maybe. :)

They may be showcasing him, but I doubt he's getting the minutes for that reason. The Spurs need him playing big minutes right now with all the injuries. Any way, most teams already know him and what he can do.

I've never bought into the 'showcasing' idea. Basically, the player 'showcases' himself every time he goes onto the court. If he does well, people take notice;if he doesn't...well people take notice.

To showcase someone who presents a problem on your team, you'd have to be running a lot of plays through him that otherwise wouldn't happen. I don't think Pop has any "Malik plays" in his playbook.

benjirh
02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree. I guess I meant "showcasing" as just giving him minutes to show that he can put up good numbers in good minutes. And although players need to play hard every time they are on the floor, you have to get into a flow. There have been numerous times when Duncan has had a horrible first quarter or first 5 minutes. But the more he plays the more he gets into a rythm. I think that can be the case with many players. So when I said showcase, I meant are they showing that if he has the opportunity to play major minutes (which he won't get with the spurs) then he will play really well. The spurs know that from practice, but games can be used as a reminder for other GM's. On a side note, I think Abdur-Rahim was/is being showcased in Portland. They are trying to show that he can be a major player deserving of getting traded for a major player in return.

Mark in Austin
02-18-2005, 08:29 PM
I was wondering how long after his big performance and Pop's praise it would be before a thread like this popped up...

ShoogarBear
02-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Hopefully, the Spurs will be showcasing Malik for the next five or six years.

SequSpur
02-18-2005, 10:58 PM
If the Spurs don't change the front line, they aren't winning shit.

You can quote me on that at the end of the season.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-18-2005, 11:23 PM
the best record in the NBA just aint enough these days i see.

SequSpur
02-18-2005, 11:34 PM
San Antonio has had the best record a few teams without a championship.

No ring for regular season ding dong.

GoSpurs21
02-19-2005, 12:29 AM

You can quote me on that at the end of the season.Another great quote from the peanut gallery. "Did someone say send in the clowns? Who said send in the clowns?"

Jimcs50
02-19-2005, 09:00 AM

You can quote me on that at the end of the season.

Oh, we will, make no mistake, we will. :rolleyes

Rummpd
02-19-2005, 09:15 AM
"If the Spurs don't change the front line, they aren't winning shit.

You can quote me on that at the end of the season."

This will be remembered, Spurs have all they need, what team out there scares anyone like the Lakers last year potentially = NO ONE. Fear the Suns, or Heat - Please be serious all you of little faith!!!

Spurs as constructed with Manu and Tony coming into own = best constructed team in league period.

MadDoc

td4mvp21
02-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Our frontcourt may be a little weak, but our backcourt makes up for it. We have Parker, Ginobili, Brown, Barry, and Beno. Those are some pretty darn good guards.