PDA

View Full Version : My Laptop died...can someone help me

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
other than doing the obvious (buying a new one, or taking it somewhere)- is there anything I can do to save my little buddy? I just got it 2 years ago and take pretty good care of it...here is the deal: I noticed for a couple months that when I plug it into the power socket that it sometimes does not recognize that it has been plugged in. I would jiggle the connection a little in the back of the computer and it would recognize it. Now my battery died and I can't get it to accept power from my wall. Do anyone know if I can just buy the back where the power chord plugs into the computer? It's a HP Pavilion

Someone has to know! thanks

PM5K
11-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Pretty common problem for the connection to become loose, there are many people that can fix this, it involves soldering, Craigslist is a good place to find someone who can do it cheap.

Thunder Dan
11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok cool! I'm just not really into having to buy a new computer...thanks

Heath Ledger
11-05-2008, 01:04 AM
there are websites that fix this if i recall i paid $200 including shipping both ways on a high end laptop with the same problem a few years ago.

PM5K
11-05-2008, 01:15 AM
That's too much to pay, this guy does it for 55.00:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sys/865533671.html

I don't know where the OP is but I'm sure there are similar people in his city...

duncan228
11-05-2008, 02:42 AM
I had the same thing happen. I found a local guy on craigslist, it was fixed in a few days for around $100, including pick up, delivery, and express shipping for the part. Like PM5K said, it seems to be a common problem that's easily fixed.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2008, 04:22 AM
Yeah, if you live in a decent sized city you should be able to get it fixed locally for $50-100.

Brutalis
11-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Hmm I'm going to be extra careful with plugging in/out my charger now.

Purple & Gold
11-06-2008, 01:19 AM
On laptops you should always charge completely then drain the battery completely while it's unplugged. This will save your battery big time. If you use it while still plugged in most of the time, the battery will more than likely die very fast.

Thunder Dan
11-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, if you live in a decent sized city you should be able to get it fixed locally for $50-100.

I emailed a couple people on craigslist so I should be able to get something

mouse
11-06-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know why people on Craig's list use eMails, most of the time the emails don't go through. And most people want to talk to the person they are going to buy something from. I put my phone number in the post, and on the topic subject line itself.
I found many others started to catch on also.

here is and old Craig s list ad of mine you tell me who gets the business me, or the person you have to e mail..

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/cl-1.jpg

PM5K
11-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I personally don't like calling strangers, I prefer email, but the option is always nice.

MannyIsGod
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
On laptops you should always charge completely then drain the battery completely while it's unplugged. This will save your battery big time. If you use it while still plugged in most of the time, the battery will more than likely die very fast.

That seems like too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather just buy a new battery at some point.

PM5K
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
That seems like too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather just buy a new battery at some point.

Yeah it's a real pain in the ass to remove the cord at the back, and then plug it back in a few hours later once a month or so.......

:rolleyes

mouse
11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I am with Manny on this one. Those notebooks are made to go from ac to dc and back to ac without skipping a beat. If i have to turn off the motor to my car at each stop light to get that extra 50 miles per gallon each year i rather just pay for the gas.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea I am just to lazy to go through all that unplugging for an extra week of battery life.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Yeah it's a real pain in the ass to remove the cord at the back, and then plug it back in a few hours later once a month or so.......

:rolleyes

Once a month? Huh? He was saying you should never run it while plugged in but always drain the battery then recharge it fully then start using it again.

PM5K
11-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Once a month? Huh? He was saying you should never run it while plugged in but always drain the battery then recharge it fully then start using it again.

That's not what he said at all..

Purple & Gold
11-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Actually I was saying to do it whenever it completely charges, which is a lot more than once a month. It is a pain in the ass and I never did it, which is why I know about it now. It'll save your battery for a good amount of time though. Worth it if you don't wanna keep buying new batteries though.