PDA

View Full Version : Another first-year find: Udrih makes Slovenia, Spurs look good

Pop OFits
02-18-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/0218spurs190.jpg
Web Posted: 02/18/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Beno Udrih will become the first player from Slovenia to participate in an All-Star event tonight when he steps onto the Pepsi Center floor in Denver for the Rookie Challenge.

Though the NBA probably doesn't consider this one of the watershed moments in its 58-year history — somehow, league officials continue to overlook Rasho Nesterovic for the dunk contest :rollin — Udrih takes pride in the distinction.

He will share the floor with some of the league's brightest young stars, including LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Of the 18 players selected for the game pitting rookies against second-year players, he is the only one from a foreign country — an accomplishment noteworthy in itself given the league's recent boon of international talent.

Udrih's father is flying in for the game. Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo, who is coaching the rookie team, has pledged to showcase Udrih as much as possible.

"He's playing every minute LeBron is playing," Carlesimo said, "because that's who he'll be guarding." :lol
Udrih's defense needs a little work before anyone considers him capable of defending James, but he has performed better than expected in the role the Spurs fashioned for him.

"Our ultimate goal was that he would be good enough to be a backup for Tony (Parker) his rookie season," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He has fulfilled that by far."

Udrih has averaged 5.6 points and 1.9 assists in 14.1 minutes, though the numbers don't completely reveal his effectiveness. He has picked up the offense quickly. Teammates have praised his instincts, most notably, his ability to deliver the ball at the right moment and location.

"It looks like they've found another one," an Eastern Conference scout said.

The scout was referring to the Spurs' ability to pluck quality players out of the bottom of the draft. Udrih was taken with the 28th pick, the same spot the Spurs chose Parker three years earlier.

Atlanta's Josh Smith (No. 17) and Boston's Tony Allen (No. 25) are the only other players originally selected for tonight's rookie team who were drafted outside the top 10. Celtics forward Al Jefferson, taken 15th, was named Thursday to replace injured Charlotte forward Emeka Okafor.

"This was just a prize," Udrih said of his selection. "A bonus for my work."

Udrih, who turns 23 in July, had to work hard just to get drafted. Scouts didn't know what to make of him because they couldn't find him. Last season alone, he bounced from Russia to Greece to Italy, playing significant minutes only at his final stop.

Maccabi Tel Aviv, one of Europe's top teams, thought enough of Udrih to sign him in 2002. When the coach played Udrih at the expense of Yotam Halperin, a popular Israeli point guard, the locals jeered him.

"They're not supportive like here (in San Antonio)," Udrih said. "They just think you have to be incredible. I didn't have any experience outside (Slovenia), but I was doing (a) pretty good job for a 20-year-old on such a good team.

"The fans that know basketball liked me," he added, "but the other fans ..."

The Spurs had scouted Udrih since he played on Slovenia's junior national team. After watching him at Chicago's pre-draft camp, they included him in the small group of players they considered drafting.

Udrih excited the Spurs with his court sense, but they had concerns about his durability. He missed some of the summer league with a knee injury, then bruised it playing for Slovenia's national team in September.

Popovich made it clear Udrih needed to get stronger if he intended to survive in the NBA. So far, he has missed only one game because of injury: a right shoulder strain he suffered when Sacramento point guard Mike Bibby yanked him to the floor.

Last week against Charlotte, Udrih was whacked on his left hand hard enough to knock him to the ground and cause his index finger to swell. Popovich yelled at him to get up and keep playing.

"He's had little bumps and bruises here and there, but we haven't really let him concentrate on it too much," Popovich said. "I think in the past he's probably worried about injuries a little more than he needed to."

Udrih admits his body is sore as he adjusts to the 82-game season. But playing limited minutes has kept him from feeling fatigued.

"Now," Popovich said, "we want to see him raise (his performance) up a little bit."

Udrih is the Spurs' most accurate 3-point shooter (41.7 percent), but Popovich thinks he can become more consistent. He also wants him to improve his defense, something Udrih should find easier to do as he gets more familiar with his opponents.

Udrih already has earned the trust of Popovich, who has used him to close out the occasional game. When the Spurs rallied from a 17-point deficit to beat Phoenix on Jan. 21, Udrih was on the floor the entire fourth quarter and overtime.

It was that type of performance that led the league's assistant coaches to make Udrih the first Slovenian selected to play in the Rookie Challenge.

"It means a lot," Udrih said. "Slovenian people are very jealous. They don't want anybody to succeed. When you play good, they write good things. But when you play bad, they don't even talk to you."

Life in the NBA has been far more good than bad for Udrih. Despite never visiting the United States until the Chicago pre-draft camp, he has adjusted well. He has learned enough of San Antonio's street names to get around, and he has learned to like Mexican food, provided it's not too spicy.

Others besides the Spurs have noticed his play. At a recent game, a couple of fans from Tel Aviv called out to him.

"They told me they want me back," Udrih said. "I told them I'm not going back."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

SLOVENIAN 8
02-18-2005, 04:57 PM
"He's playing every minute LeBron is playing," Carlesimo said, "because that's who he'll be guarding."

Is that true??? :smokin

RobinsontoDuncan
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
"It means a lot," Udrih said. "Slovenian people are very jealous. They don't want anybody to succeed. When you play good, they write good things. But when you play bad, they don't even talk to you."

Is that true? :lol :lol :lol

Zmaj
02-18-2005, 07:05 PM

I think he didn't express himself the way he wanted to

It's more like: Slovenians love winners and ignore losers (not by not talking to them, but by not mentioning their achievements). Much like in most countries :)

HIP HOOPERS
02-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah...it's kind of a stereotype. If a neighbour buys himself a new tractor, you gotta immedieately buy a better one! :)

ShoogarBear
02-18-2005, 07:18 PM
If that last post doesn't bring MB out of retirement, nothing will . . .

Mark in Austin
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
The Spurs had scouted Udrih since he played on Slovenia's junior national team.

Now THAT's impressive. It's funny, we get these hints here and there in the press that the Spurs have developed one hell of an overseas advanced scouting system / team (Victor Sanikidze (sp?) anybody?), but it never seems to garner much attention. Those of us who've been around a while know that there's a lot of evidence out there that they have been at the forefront of scouting for years now. I wonder how much of this (mystery) system is owed to the hard work of Sam Schuler setting the right foundation?

It's good to continue to read stuff like this every couple of months. CIA Pop strikes again. :smokin

SuperManu!!!
02-18-2005, 08:15 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/0218spurs190.jpg

Suck it bitch!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Dario
02-19-2005, 03:23 AM

That is 100% true and i believe he expresed himself exactly like he wanted to. When you are up - you get extra treatment, when you are down - you get kick in the ass.