PDA

View Full Version : This is bad

Supergirl
11-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Amid my ecstatic, relieved feelings for this country with Obama's win, is my deep dread about how the Spurs' season has started. 0-3 to start, which hasn't happened in 35 years. Parker and Duncan playing their hearts out, new guys (Mason, Hill) showing real promise so far. But it's not enough.

Will they make a big trade? Dump Bonner, Finley, Vaughn, and whoever else they can for a third scorer? Who can they get? Anyone?

Flux451
11-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Patience my son

edit. my sonette

m33p0
11-05-2008, 01:01 AM
it is so bad it warrants its own thread with a poll to boot!

balli
11-05-2008, 01:01 AM
As an outside observer, who watched the Spurs regularly stomp my team for several years, I'll offer my two cents: Quit panicking. Manu will be back. Things will be tough until then and maybe for a bit after, but you'll still make the playoffs. It's a long ass 82 game season and you have all of it to play. As long as you have TD in the postseason, you will be able to scrap with anybody. Chill.

Supergirl
11-05-2008, 01:18 AM
As an outside observer, who watched the Spurs regularly stomp my team for several years, I'll offer my two cents: Quit panicking. Manu will be back. Things will be tough until then and maybe for a bit after, but you'll still make the playoffs. It's a long ass 82 game season and you have all of it to play. As long as you have TD in the postseason, you will be able to scrap with anybody. Chill.

I thought that at first, but I was banking on the Spurs winning 50% of their games without Manu. If they can do that, they'll be OK. But at this point, that is feeling a little more out of reach.

Then again, they opened the season with 3 tough teams. We'll see if they can clean up against some weaker teams.

Allanon
11-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Even before the 0-3 start I think the Spurs would have had a mid-season trade/signing.

Even with Manu, there were too many upgrades to the other teams in the West to just sit tight (ie. Rockets, Lakers, Hornets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Clippers). And to top it off, Shaq looks rejuvenated and Denver has a point guard now.

This start has only made it seem more urgent.

Jahivah
11-05-2008, 01:55 AM
I did not vote but will add:
THEY HAD BETTER. This team even with Manu cannot compete with the likes of the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets. We need mroe offense and younger talent.

DubMcDub
11-05-2008, 02:01 AM
THEY HAD BETTER. This team even with Manu cannot compete with the likes of the Lakers, Hornets, Rockets and the Mavericks. We need mroe offense and younger talent.

Fixed it for you.

Fabbs
11-05-2008, 02:25 AM
The sheep are happy with 4 in 11 years so the FO has long since stopped giving a frak.

AusSpursFan
11-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Manu will obviously make a big difference, but right now Pop should seriously look at who he is giving PT to.

BannedFromSpursTalk
11-05-2008, 02:37 AM
The Spurs didn't make enough moves in the off-season to keep up with the rest of the West anyway; but without Manu, it's not even close. They can't compete realistically without Manu against very many teams in the West, and even with Manu it's questionable. Spurs need a trade or sign a free agent to add more quality and depth at SG & SF.

BannedFromSpursTalk
11-05-2008, 02:40 AM
THEY HAD BETTER. This team even with Manu cannot compete with the likes of the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets. We need mroe offense and younger talent.

You forgot about the Suns, Jazz, Nuggets, and apparently also the Blazers & Mavericks.

m33p0
11-05-2008, 03:56 AM
The Spurs didn't make enough moves in the off-season to keep up with the rest of the West anyway; but without Manu, it's not even close. They can't compete realistically without Manu against very many teams in the West, and even with Manu it's questionable. Spurs need a trade or sign a free agent to add more quality and depth at SG & SF.
they did make moves but most of them didn't pan out (i.e. Magette).
very many? if the spurs played any second rate teams in the first 2 games, we'll most likely be looking at a 2-1 scorecard.

Tmac&Luther
11-05-2008, 04:26 AM
The Spurs are the 96-97 Rockets.....their window has closed.

I take my hats off to y'all, the Spurs will go down as one of the greatest dynasties of alltime, but watching your team reminds when certain players on the Rockets just couldn't run fast enough, recover fast enough, or cut fast enough. The individual talent might be there in spots......but something is missing (and it just isn't Manu). I know Spurs fans love to say "it's a odd year", but that was the last odd year. Y'all dominated for a decade and cashed in 4 rings, tip your hats and clang your glasses...great accomplishment...but the era is pretty much closed.....and I mean this with the utmost respect. Job well done.

Tmac&Luther
11-05-2008, 04:27 AM
they did make moves but most of them didn't pan out (i.e. Magette).
very many? if the spurs played any second rate teams in the first 2 games, we'll most likely be looking at a 2-1 scorecard.

There are pretty much no 2nd rate teams out west.......why would you want a inflated record anyways?

m33p0
11-05-2008, 05:20 AM
There are pretty much no 2nd rate teams out west.......why would you want a inflated record anyways?
you want me to name those teams? you know? the Grizzlies, the Wolves, the Clippers out west? and with a depleted lineup including Manu, Spurs need an inflated record.

btw, Spurs ain't done yet. not by a long shot.

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Even before the 0-3 start I think the Spurs would have had a mid-season trade/signing.

Even with Manu, there were too many upgrades to the other teams in the West to just sit tight (ie. Rockets, Lakers, Hornets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Clippers). And to top it off, Shaq looks rejuvenated and Denver has a point guard now.

This start has only made it seem more urgent.

amen

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Wonder what everyone is gonna think when we lose to those teams we arnt supposed to lose to? Like against the wolves and grizzs.

tmtcsc
11-05-2008, 09:15 AM
The amount of panic in this forum over the Spurs 0-3 start is ridiculous. We only have 79 games to get this thing fixed.

We have been competitive and had a chance to win 2 games and played like crap in one of them.

We are missing our leading scorer and our most tenacious player in Manu.

We are undersized due to injury and other circumstances with Ian and Tolliver out.

We are dealing with trying to blend in 5 new faces: Hill, Mason, Mahinmi, Farmer and Tolliver.

We are giving Bonner extended floor time and asking him to do things he obviously isn't comfortable with.

It'll take some time but I see us making up for these losses with a long winning streak later on.

tmtcsc
11-05-2008, 09:18 AM
amen

Ron Ron is going to drag that team down with him when its all said and done. I like the guy as a defender and he gives great energy and effort but he's out of control on offense.

Have you seen him waving his teammates out of his way on offense ? He's dribbling way too much and shooting way too much. More times than not, his shooting % is going to suck.

Brent was a nice pick up for them.

The Clippers ? C'mon now.

Remind me again how the Grizzlies and Lakers improved their teams over the summer. We made more changes than both of them.

Allanon
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Ron Ron is going to drag that team down with him when its all said and done. I like the guy as a defender and he gives great energy and effort but he's out of control on offense.

Have you seen him waving his teammates out of his way on offense ? He's dribbling way too much and shooting way too much. More times than not, his shooting % is going to suck.

Brent was a nice pick up for them.

The Clippers ? C'mon now.

Remind me again how the Grizzlies and Lakers improved their teams over the summer. We made more changes than both of them.

Grizzlies have 3 new Starters and are 2-2 on the season. I think you'll be surprised to see the new Grizzlies this year. Marc Gasol & OJ Mayo are the early Rookie of the Year candidates.

Marc Gasol's the first rookie to have a 25 point / 15 rebound game (within the first 5 games) since Shaq did it.

Darrell Arthur got promoted to a starter and Rudy Gay's been phenomenal. They have a ton of good young point guards. Grizzlies are the 2nd most "young talent" laden team in the NBA.

I'd go as far as to say the upcoming Spurs/Grizzlies game will be very close with the Grizzlies having a good chance to win.

Lakers added 4 players just by doing nothing but wait for them to get healthy. They got back a healthy Andrew Bynum, Trevor Ariza, Chris Mihm and Luke Walton. All 4 were not healthy last year.

Add in improved Radmanovic & Jordan Farmar and the Lakers can now play 12 players without missing much of a beat.

Clippers are struggling early because Baron Davis and Camby have been out. Once they're both playing again in a few days, Baron Davis, Ricky Davis, Al Thornton, Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon, Mobley, Tim Thomas looks like a pretty good lineup.

tmtcsc
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Whoah. I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the info. Damn, Gasol bringin it !