PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Wolves Previews

duncan228
11-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Wednesday: Spurs (0-3) at Timberwolves (1-2) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wednesday_Spurs_0-3_at_Timberwolves_1-2.html)
Express-News

Time: 7 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - WOLVES

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 4 Randy Foye (6-4, 3rd yr)
Parker shot 53.2 percent in first two games, Foye 22.2 percent in first three

SG - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 33 Mike Miller (6-8, 9th yr)
Miller has taken only 26 shots in three games

SF - 12 Bruce Bowen (6-7, 13th yr) - 8 Ryan Gomes (6-7, 4th yr)
Bowen took two shots in first two games, missed both

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 22 Corey Brewer (6-9, 2nd yr)
Duncan had 44 points, 24 rebounds in two games at Target Center last season

C - 7 Fabricio Oberto (6-9, 4th yr) - 25 Al Jefferson (6-10, 5th yr)
Jefferson has double-double in all three games, ranks seventh in rebs (11.7)

SPURS RESERVES

3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
15 Matt Bonner, F, 6-10, 5th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C, 6-9, 14th yr
33 Desmon Farmer, G/F, 6-5, 2nd yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
35 Anthony Tolliver, F, 6-8, 1st yr
28 Ian Mahinmi, F-C, 6-11, 2nd yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 5th yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr

TIMBERWOLVES RESERVES

52 Calvin Booth, C, 6-11, 10th yr
14 Brian Cardinal, F, 6-8, 9th yr
10 Rodney Carney, F, 6-7, 3rd yr
32 Jason Collins, C, 7-0, 8th yr
42 Kevin Love, F, 6-10, 1st yr
35 Mark Madsen, F, 6-9 9th yr
1 Rashad McCants, G, 6-1, 4th yr
12 Kevin Ollie, G, 6-2, 12th yr
5 Craig Smith, F, 6-7, 3rd yr
3 Sebastian Telfair, G, 6-0, 5th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Wolves: Randy Wittman

INJURIES

Spurs: Ginobili, left ankle surgery; Mahinmi, sprained right ankle
Wolves: Collins, right elbow surgery

PROJECTED INACTIVE

Spurs: Ginobili, Tolliver, Mahinmi
Wolves: Collins, Booth, Cardinal

NOTABLE

Spurs have won 10 of the last 11 against Timberwolves, including all four games last season. ... Tonight’s game will be a real test of their ability to win without Ginobili, their leading scorer in all four games against the Wolves last season. ... Ginobili had his season-high 44-point game on Feb. 21, when he hit the game-winner with 6.2 seconds left in a 100-99 victory.

- Mike Monroe

Trainwreck2100
11-05-2008, 01:08 AM
wolves 104
sours 10

duncan228
11-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Foye, Miller need to step up for the Wolves against San Antonio (http://mvn.com/wolveswatch/2008/11/-------------needs-to-step-up-for-the-wolves-against-san-antonio.html)
By Scott Henneboehle

In the first three games of the season, the Wolves have been just a few good possessions away from going 3-0. It has come down to turnovers at key times and missed opportunities on offense. Our defense has held up fairly well, having yet to give up 100 points in the game, but we're still going to be susceptible to teams that have more depth and more dominant big men than the big men the Wolves have faced thus far: Hawes (who has actually played pretty well in injured Brad Miller's spot), Dampier/Diop, and Collison/Petro.

One of the biggest disappointments thus far has to be the lack of production out of Mike Miller and Randy Foye. I've written about this a little bit already, but Miller simply hasn't had the impact that I expected when the team acquired him on draft day. He's only taken 26 shots in three games, so maybe its just a matter of Miller figuring out his role on a new team. Jefferson should be the first option almost every time down the floor, but he's going to garner a fair amount of attention from the defense, and Miller should be, as the best shooter on the team, taking more shots than Ryan Gomes and Foye.

Six-shooter Telfair will be returning to the lineup when the Wolves host the Spurs tomorrow night; no word as of now how much time he'll see. If nothing else, Telfair gives the Wolves more depth at point guard and takes minutes away from Foye, who really has to turn things around to keep seeing action. It seems as though he's completely lost his shooting stroke, though he insists he's fine (as one would expect).

Don Seeholzer's column from Monday (http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_10883445?nclick_check=1) in the Pioneer Press talked about Foye's inability to knock down buckets, and Randy was quoted as saying, ""My confidence level is there, I just can't make a shot. I can't make a shot. It's just tough for me right now, but I'll get through it."

Anyone who's played organized basketball knows that one's shooting stroke ebbs and flows over time, even with guys who work on it as much as the pros. Some players make the transition from the offseason to the regular season well, others need a few games to get their feel for the game back. I'm hoping that's the case for Foye and Miller, but as long as Foye keeps struggling, more and more pressure is going to be placed upon his shoulders.

Luckily for the Wolves, the Spurs are without 6th man Manu Ginobli. He killed us last year when he was healthy and none of the additions we made over the summer lead me to believe that we would be any more capable of stopping him. Duncan and Parker are still as good as ever, though, so you have to assume those two are going to have big games. Foye is too big to guard a quicker Parker, and Kevin Ollie can't play with Parker for extended minutes at this stage in his career. Obviously it takes more than one defender to shut down Tony Parker, but the point guards for the Wolves are going to have their hands full.

m33p0
11-05-2008, 01:11 AM
suns? sure. can and does happen.
blazers? ok. its been a long while but they've improved.
mavs? everyone knows mavs always at their best when they see silver and black.
but the wolves? fuck! i'm gonna flip out!

timtonymanu
11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
if the spurs lose this game, then it's time for everyone to worry.

duncan228
11-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Spurs-Timberwolves Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008110516)
By Jeff Mezydlo

One week into the season, the success-starved Minnesota Timberwolves have already won a game while the four-time NBA champion San Antonio Spurs remain winless.

The Spurs hope to continue their recent success over the Timberwolves and finally record their first victory of 2008-09 when the teams meet on Wednesday night at the Target Center.

San Antonio (0-3) lost 98-81 at home to Dallas on Tuesday and now looks to avoid opening with four consecutive losses for the first time since doing so in the 1973-74 ABA season - the Spurs first season in San Antonio after playing in Dallas as the Chaparrals.

"Uncharted territory for us,'' said Spurs star Tim Duncan, who had 19 points against the Mavericks. "We've played some bad basketball so far, to say he least.''

Tony Parker led San Antonio with 22 points for the Spurs, who trailed by as many as 18 in the first half.

"(Dallas) came out with a lot of energy, they shot the ball well and executed,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We did the opposite, and that put us in the hole.''

San Antonio continues to struggle without injured guard Manu Ginobili (ankle), last season's leading scorer at 19.5 points per game who is out until December.

While the Spurs are averaging 92.7 points, they're allowing 101.5 per game. Traditionally one of the best defensive teams in the NBA, the Spurs were third in the league last season giving up 90.6 points per contest.

The Spurs did receive a boost on Tuesday as forward Fabricio Oberto played for the first time this season after missing the first two games with an irregular heartbeat. Oberto has been a solid presence for the Spurs, having played in all 82 games and averaging 4.8 points and 5.2 rebounds last season.

Facing Minnesota (1-2) could be what San Antonio needs to end its skid. The Spurs have won five straight over the Timberwolves, outscoring them by an average of 13.4 points.

Duncan, who is averaging 26.0 points and 10.3 rebounds to start the season, has enjoyed consistent success versus the Timberwolves, averaging 20.0 points and 12.0 rebounds in 40 career games against them.

Minnesota scored two points in the final 5 minutes to fall 88-85 at Oklahoma City on Sunday in a game it led by as many as 12 points. The Timberwolves were outrebounded 50-38 and went 3-for-12 from 3-point range.

"It's a game we're supposed to have won,'' said Al Jefferson, who had 24 points and 13 rebounds for his third straight double-double. "We gave up 25 points second-chance. That's why it hurts so bad. ... it was just a game we had in the bag and we should have won.''

Though scoring has been a problem for the Timberwolves in the past after averaging 95.6 points last season, they are looking to improve on their 89.3 average through their first three contests.

Jefferson is averaging 19.7 points and 11.7 rebounds overall and 22.5 points in his last six games versus San Antonio.

Team Stat Comparisons

Spurs

PPG T. Duncan 29.5
RPG T. Duncan 8.0
APG T. Parker 8.0
FT% T. Parker .833
3PT% R. Mason .833
BLK R. Mason 2
STL K. Thomas 1

Timberwolves

PPG A. Jefferson 19.7
RPG A. Jefferson 11.7
APG R. Foye 5.0
FT% K. Love 1.000
3PT% R. Gomes .400
BLK A. Jefferson 4
STL C. Brewer 5

Notes:

Spurs:

The Spurs are one of only 10 teams in the NBA that hold the all-time series lead against the Trail Blazers. Portland led the series until San Antonio's recent surge, maintaining an advantage from 1983-2006. ... San Antonio limited Portland to its lowest scoring average (80.3 ppg) against any team during the 2007-08 season.

Wolves:

The Minnesota Timberwolves shot 43 percent (33-of-77) from the floor but were a perfect 16-for-16 from the free-throw line. They have lost their last two games despite making a combined 38-of-40 from the free throw line. ? G Randy Foye shot 0-for-10 from the field, missing a layup in the final minute that would have given the Timberwolves the lead. ... Minnesota was out-rebounded, 50-38.

duncan228
11-05-2008, 02:20 AM
We're all a little ticked about the 0-3 start, but what can you do? You try and turn it around tomorrow.

Spork KIller
11-05-2008, 02:32 AM
The Wolves will win and win BIG!!

Your pathetic team is Done...

Jahivah
11-05-2008, 03:21 AM
A win against the lowly Timberwolves proves nothing. A loss though would reconfirm what we all know; The team Is in Trouble. Good luck to them.

milkyway21
11-05-2008, 03:23 AM
The Wolves will win and win BIG!!

Your pathetic team is Done...I dare you to bet all your US$400 and see if we're really done.

how about it? :hungry:

johnnyblues
11-05-2008, 03:23 AM
I worship the devil...

Fixed

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Good Lord do we need this, 0-4 is not something i want to see in any box score, friggin win the game Spurs...

spurs50_
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Is Tolliver gonna suit up? Damn

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
suns? sure. can and does happen.
blazers? ok. its been a long while but they've improved.
mavs? everyone knows mavs always at their best when they see silver and black.
but the wolves? fuck! i'm gonna flip out!

Your a strange one for sure...welcome to number 122 on my ignore list:lol

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
This is a must win and it would be nice if some of the young guys contribute to this win. If not dont expect Pop to play the youngers much. Not until garbage time or back to back nights. If the young guns are good enough they know they must step in and win tonight. Or the young guns wont see much time in the near future.

dbestpro
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Sit Bonner.
Sit Vaughn.
Run screens for Mason.
Mason shoot, shoot, shoot.
Parker stop forcing everything.
Bowen needs to pick up defense or sit with Bonner and Vaughn.
Play Thomas, Hill, Oberto, Farmer with the cast.
= win

polandprzem
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
BIG AL! vs Timothy!

It shopuld be nice if they will cover each other

century
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Spurs will lose this game, too...

xtremesteven33
11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Parker
Hill
Mason
Duncan
Oberto

i wanna see more of this lineup. A great mix of defense,offense,experience and youth