PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 1st round Pick for 09'

tbear280
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
When they traded their pick for Kurt Thomas, was it a conditional pick or not?????

Gino2882
11-05-2008, 11:13 AM
No, dont believe so. I do believe it is lottery protected.

Harry Callahan
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
If it is lottery protected, it is conditional. Hopefully, there is language where SA can put off giving the pick until it is a fairly low #1, just in case the Spurs have an off year.

SenorSpur
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I certainly hope it's lottery protected - for obvious reasons. Look like we may be having an off year.

tlongII
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
This is going to be a HUGE story this season!

BacktoBasics
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
This team will still win 45 plus games. Hard to say if that earns a playoff birth in this conference.

rascal
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
The luck of the lottery is the only way they can get a top future star quality player because they sure can't trade for one or get one with free agency.

yavozerb
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
This is all the info I could find on this subject, courtesy nbadraft.net

The Suns acquired Goran Dragic (No 45) from the Spurs for Malik Hairston (No. 48), a future second-round pick and cash.

Seattle receives San Antonio's 2009 (lottery protected) first round pick. (Kurt Thomas trade 022008).

San Antonio receives Houston's 2009 second round pick (Luis Scola trade 071207).

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
When they traded their pick for Kurt Thomas, was it a conditional pick or not?????

Lottery protected

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
The luck of the lottery is the only way they can get a top future star quality player because they sure can't trade for one or get one with free agency.

It doesnt look that way right now. But thats what all fans have to live with. I think it wouldnt be fair to tell your fans hey we're gonna tank this season. Or dont worry we have this great trade in mind. But your right its really the only way to bring in a future star quality player. We've been lucky a few times and its worked out great. That luck ran out sometime ago. But the door isnt shut and its still within reach with a couple of the players we have left. And then they bring in guys like Kurt? :lol: Thats when I wonder whos running the show.

Bruno
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

San Antonio Spurs

Credits

2009 second round draft pick from New Orleans
New Orleans' own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio via Toronto [New Orleans - Toronto, 1/26/2006 and then San Antonio - Toronto, 6/21/2006]

2009 second round draft pick from Houston
Houston's own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio. [Houston - San Antonio, 7/12/2007]

Debits

2009 first round draft pick to Seattle
San Antonio's own 2009 1st round pick to Seattle (top 15 protected in the 2009 Draft, top 10 protected in 2010, top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected in 2012, and unprotected in the 2013 Draft). [San Antonio - Seattle, 2/20/2008]

2009 second round draft pick to Charlotte
The less favorable of San Antonio's own 2009 2nd round pick or New Orleans' own 2009 2nd round pick via Toronto to Charlotte [San Antonio - Charlotte, 2/13/2007]

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Hahahahah. Presti took his old team.

All that front talent that made SA so successful over the past decade has pretty much jumped ship. Now the Spurs give away solid starting power forwards to division rivals and trade 1st rounders for old broken down worthless players.

jack sommerset
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

San Antonio Spurs

Credits

2009 second round draft pick from New Orleans
New Orleans' own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio via Toronto [New Orleans - Toronto, 1/26/2006 and then San Antonio - Toronto, 6/21/2006]

2009 second round draft pick from Houston
Houston's own 2009 2nd round pick to San Antonio. [Houston - San Antonio, 7/12/2007]

Debits

2009 first round draft pick to Seattle
San Antonio's own 2009 1st round pick to Seattle (top 15 protected in the 2009 Draft, top 10 protected in 2010, top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected in 2012, and unprotected in the 2013 Draft). [San Antonio - Seattle, 2/20/2008]

2009 second round draft pick to Charlotte
The less favorable of San Antonio's own 2009 2nd round pick or New Orleans' own 2009 2nd round pick via Toronto to Charlotte [San Antonio - Charlotte, 2/13/2007]

Thunder might not see this pick until 2013.

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hahahahah. Presti took his old team.

All that front talent that made SA so successful over the past decade has pretty much jumped ship. Now the Spurs give away solid starting power forwards to division rivals and trade 1st rounders for old broken down worthless players.

He didnt take the spurs, the spurs wanted to unload the pick to save cap room for 2010. I agree Thomas is not worth a 1st rounder but the spurs dont value draft picks with a vet team, Pops hates to play rooks.

Trading the pick saves us about 1.5 mil in 2010 and I think they plan on going after 2 max guys, but I doubt we will get anyone of the top 4 players on the market.....to many teams have max cap room in 2010 so the plan may backfire bigtime. I say win now.

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 01:31 PM
1.5 million? Hahaha. How does that help you win now? Thomas certainly didn't do that. And one guy on a ROOKIE late 1st round contract isn't going to cost you a big name free agent (like any big names would actually want to play in San Antonio to begin with ) :lol

The only reason Spurs have won the last few titles was because they had excellent drafts. Parker late first round, Manu second round. Yup, keep trading away those first rounders. I'm enjoying SA's rapid decline into irrelevance.

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 01:41 PM
1.5 million? Hahaha. How does that help you win now? Thomas certainly didn't do that. And one guy on a ROOKIE late 1st round contract isn't going to cost you a big name free agent (like any big names would actually want to play in San Antonio to begin with ) :lol

The only reason Spurs have won the last few titles was because they had excellent drafts. Parker late first round, Manu second round. Yup, keep trading away those first rounders. I'm enjoying SA's rapid decline into irrelevance.

The 1.5 million saved in 2010 will help fill out a roster with good vets. And besides Parker and Manu who were drafted 7year ago and were part of biulding we dont value draft picks we like vets.

I personally would like to see a blend and would like to keep the picks but next years draft will be very weak so a late first may not even pan out.

That said, you guys have your own problems to work out, if you dont win this year you will not only be capped out but may lose Ariza and Lamar because with Bynums new deal and Kobe seeking 126mil you guys are toast. Kobe is no spring chicken and Bynum is injury prone and you can already see him sharing the court with Pau is gonna lower his stats.

Come talk to me at the end of this season and we will see how cocky you feel then. Mind you San Antone has always been able to retool very quickly, not take 5 years like you guys. Please also not we dont need 100 million plus payrolls to win unlike you guys whos cap number next year is projected to hit above 100.

Win now or you guys will suck for year to come.

Indazone
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
If the spurs keep playing like this they will be a lottery pick team. It might even be strategically better of ya do tank the season. Remember, this is how you got Tim Duncan.

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 01:51 PM
The 1.5 million saved in 2010 will help fill out a roster with good vets.

Vets? Plural? 1.5 million isn't going to 'fill out your roster'.

And besides Parker and Manu who were drafted 7year ago and were part of biulding we dont value draft picks we like vets.

And thats your problem. Nothing left in the cabinet.

That said, you guys have your own problems to work out, if you dont win this year you will not only be capped out but may lose Ariza and Lamar because with Bynums new deal and Kobe seeking 126mil you guys are toast. Kobe is no spring chicken and Bynum is injury prone and you can already see him sharing the court with Pau is gonna lower his stats.

Big IF on the Lakers not winning. And Buss is willing to pay the luxury tax, although losing Lamar won't be nearly as a big deal as you're making it out to be.

Kobe has the best work ethic in the NBA. Is coming off a MVP season and has one of the best mid range games in the league. He still easily has 4-5 prime years left.

Come talk to me at the end of this season and we will see how cocky you feel then. Mind you San Antone has always been able to retool very quickly, not take 5 years like you guys. Please also not we dont need 100 million plus payrolls to win unlike you guys whos cap number next year is projected to hit above 100.

Thats the point. SA won't be retooling with retards running the front office and no draft picks. Admit it, the Spurs front office has been terrible since Presti/Pritchard bailed. You guys are screwed.

Win now or you guys will suck for year to come.

Haha, what? Bynum 21, Farmar 22, Ariza 23

Pau is only 29, Kobe 30. Thats easily a 5+ year window to win titles and a franchise type center to build around once Kobe bails to Greece.

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Vets? Plural? 1.5 million isn't going to 'fill out your roster'.

And thats your problem. Nothing left in the cabinet.

Big IF on the Lakers not winning. And Buss is willing to pay the luxury tax, although losing Lamar won't be nearly as a big deal as you're making it out to be.

Kobe has the best work ethic in the NBA. Is coming off a MVP season and has one of the best mid range games in the league. He still easily has 4-5 prime years left.

Thats the point. SA won't be retooling with retards running the front office and no draft picks. Admit it, the Spurs front office has been terrible since Presti/Pritchard bailed. You guys are screwed.

Win now or you guys will suck for year to come.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with you on the draft picks, I would rather keep them then trade them thats what you guys did and I think it worked out well. The spurs like to stay with vets and then when all is lost rebiuld quickly by signing vets.

What I ment by the 1.5 mil with vets was that was money that could be added to the estimated 32-36 mil we will have to spend and maybe we split most of that between 2 or 3 players, that 1.5 may help us fill out the roster not that 1.5 by itself was gonna do much.

I know big Jerry is willing to spend on the tax but he has stated several times that he wont go much over it, thats why you guys let big Ron go. I mean he only got 4 mil pr year from GS and that guy could play. Rumor has it Lamar is not willing to play for less than 12 pr season and Ariza who I think will be a big time player in 2 years will command 5-8. If you combine that with what you guys are commited and toss in Kobe's new deal you could be talking about 30mil plus in tax and I cant see Buss doing that. The only team willing to do that has been NY and even they are doing all they can to get the tax under control.

I think you guy lose Lamar who is the only player that is a matchup problem on you guys team. IMO

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Well the Lakers got to the finals without Bynum or a healthy Ariza. They're still the favorites in the West when Odom bails and the Lakers resign Ariza (which they will).

Boston is in a much worse position than LA due to their age/cap flexibility so I'm not really worried about the Lakers immediate future.

But back to the Spurs, it's just amazing how badly they have been mismanaged to past few years. They went from being hands down the most savvy front offices in the league to one of the worst.

turiaf for president
11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
like barkley and kenny smith said last week and "portland is the team of the future while the lakers are the present? no no no lakers are the team of the present and the future"

no time to panic for the spurs. they will play near .500 ball until manu comes back and then a playoffseed.

SenorSpur
11-05-2008, 02:34 PM

I don't care what a team looks like, it's never a good idea to trade away draft picks in a consecutive number of years. Having a veteran team is fine and something I know Pop prefers, but it never bodes well to continue supplementing the roster exclusively via free agency. It's too risky and too expensive. The occasional infusion of a draft pick or two is always a good strategy.

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Well the Lakers got to the finals without Bynum or a healthy Ariza. They're still the favorites in the West when Odom bails and the Lakers resign Ariza (which they will).

Boston is in a much worse position than LA due to their age/cap flexibility so I'm not really worried about the Lakers immediate future.

But back to the Spurs, it's just amazing how badly they have been mismanaged to past few years. They went from being hands down the most savvy front offices in the league to one of the worst.

Oh I agree I dont think Boston will win another title. I am still unsure if the spurs are mismanaged or if they are just sticking to their long term plans. I say win now, but they may see that we could win 3-4 titles down the road instead of maybe one more now.

I think they may just be giving into ego and refusing to lissen to that inner voice that says make a move. But I will give them the a chance to prove themselves because they have done it time and time again.

DROB4EVER
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
like barkley and kenny smith said last week and "portland is the team of the future while the lakers are the present? no no no lakers are the team of the present and the future"

no time to panic for the spurs. they will play near .500 ball until manu comes back and then a playoffseed.

You should no better than to lissen to them two a holes! They will change their mind 15 times this year. Lakers better win now, Blazers have collected alot of talent but that means little till you gel. Plus several Blazers hit free agency in the next 2 years so we will see.

Harry Callahan
11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought retarded 21 Blessings died after the finals last summer when he predicted that backdoor sweep of the Celtics. Too bad it wasn't true. At least he removed that stupid picture of Turiaf that was beyond irritating.

I'm going to be so glad when Kobe Bryant's body gives out (within the next 2-3 years) and their collection of spare parts can't make it happen. And knock-kneed Bynum will continue to have physical problems. Then the 21 Blessings retard will disappear again just like he disappeared from 2004 to 2008.

We won't miss you.

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
The world is going to be so glad when the San Antonio Spurs and their boring ass players/team fade into irrelevance.

The NBA won't miss you.

Harry Callahan
11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
The world is going to be so glad when the San Antonio Spurs and their boring ass players/team fade into irrelevance.

The NBA won't miss you.

Wow! What a come back dude. It took some real brain power to come up with that. Why don't you go to a Laker site and spare them to death for awhile. Scum.

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow! What a come back dude. It took some real brain power to come up with that. Why don't you go to a Laker site and spare them to death for awhile. Scum.

Holy fucking irony.

Wasn't a comeback. Just the cold hard reality. Enjoy your team's future (soonish) obscurity.

Harry Callahan
11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Holy fucking irony.

Wasn't a comeback. Just the cold hard reality. Enjoy your team's future (soonish) obscurity.

Soonish is not a word (at least in the English language). And you know how to drop an F bomb. Congratulations.

Any other comments you want to share with the world so you can confirm to all of us ST posters that you are indeed nothing but a fool?

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Im not. Yes I agree we had some lucky picks. And yes we keep giving up players for nothing in return. But Im a spursfan and watching my team lose with 2 guys named Tony and Tim isnt good enough. I remember the days when most teams would die for guys named Tim and Tony. Now they have their own. And some are better then others. But they have their Tim and Tonys. What really makes me mad is how alot of the better teams have 1 and 2 Tims and Tonys on the same roster.

21_Blessings
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Soonish is not a word (at least in the English language). And you know how to drop an F bomb. Congratulations.

Glad you accepted the Spurs (soonish) fate of becoming an irrelevant joke of the NBA. Congratulations.

turiaf for president
11-05-2008, 07:44 PM
You should no better than to lissen to them two a holes! They will change their mind 15 times this year. Lakers better win now, Blazers have collected alot of talent but that means little till you gel. Plus several Blazers hit free agency in the next 2 years so we will see.
so why must the lakers win now? u just contradicted yourself.

Harry Callahan
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Glad you accepted the Spurs (soonish) fate of becoming an irrelevant joke of the NBA. Congratulations.

Don't see where I stated that - your comment made no sense at all. You are indeed an idiot. Good day.

BOHOLANO#21
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Holy fucking irony.

you fakers wont win an NBA title with KOBE around. you guys have the curse of the big aristotle.:lol