PDA

View Full Version : The New Bugs Bunny - WTF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6989380

Warner Bros on acid?

Mark in Austin
02-18-2005, 09:16 PM
“I think the legacy is intact,” he said. “If anything, it’s an homage to the legacy instead of a destruction of the legacy.”

Whatever, dude.

This looks great... for me to poop on.

[/triumph]

Faccia di Angelo
02-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah I saw this on the news today. Veeeeeery weird. I don't like it at all. Why the hell does everything have to go or look high tech?! :pctoss Its freaking bugs bunny! Why did Looney tunes have to meet Anime. They look scary almost. I wish cartoons were still what they were when I was growing up....smurfs...rainbow brite..strawberry shortcake..old school transformers and GI Joe..gummy bears..Jem :lol Those were the days!

GoldToe
02-18-2005, 09:31 PM
That's dispicable!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Man, I thought the toy/cartoon people fucked up when they remade the Transformers a few years ago, but this is just fucked up.

ShoogarBear
02-18-2005, 09:47 PM
The Road Runner looks like fucking Woody Woodpecker.

Assholes.

SpursWoman
02-18-2005, 09:57 PM
That's awful. :(

N.Y. Johnny
02-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Now thats just going to give fuckin nightmares to the kids. Whats up with these people? damn wait till they roll out the Tweety Bird looking like a murderous creature from a stephen King film.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Ephraim the Retarded Rabbit, anyone?

Experiment2100
02-18-2005, 10:16 PM
They are better than baby looneytoons

3rdCoast
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM
I Like Em

IceColdBrewski
02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Who are they tryin to kid? Nobody is gonna watch this crap.

Bugs was the shit when I was growin up. I'll make damn sure my kids are raised on the good ol' school stuff. Not this "year 2099" shit.

exstatic
02-18-2005, 11:20 PM
They constantly change the shit to sell more action figures and other merchandise.

I have a friend with a 5 YO, and he now hates the Power Rangers because they constantly evolve, and his kid wants the new shit and it's expensive.

King
02-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I hate the idea, but it's going to work. They're not targeting the people who remember the old Bugs'. They're going sleek, because that's what kids will like. It's basically a new character for them .

TNT21
02-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Just what we need, another rabbit with sharp ears! Fuck those hurt!! I went hunting last weekend and I bagged me one of those sharp eared motherfuckers! They better give elmer fudd some kinda futuristic hunting weapon like the damn predator if he wants to bag himself one of them sharp eared bastards!

baseline bum
02-19-2005, 10:43 AM
What's wrong with it? It's not Loony Toons... it's a whole different show. They've done it before successfully with Tiny Toons, and other shows have had solid spinoffs (for instance Muppet Babies or the anime spinoff of Ninja Turtles which was freaking awesome). I still love watching the Merry Melodies toons and it'll be hard to damn near impossible to duplicate the quality of those originals, but I think it would be even worse to use the same characters in the same storylines and pass it off as the same thing as the classics. If you disagree with me there watch how badly made the new Mickey Mouse cartoons that appear on ABC Saturday mornings are. They're a total disgrace in posing as the same characters and environments from the Disney classics of the 40s and 50s.

Another thing to think about... if Merry Melodies weren't considered classics there's no way they'd ever make it on childrens tv in the US now. I know the popular perception is that shows are way more risque now, but this show in particular did a lot of things that would never fly now. I remember seeing one episode where Bugs was playing the piano in an auditorium and one guy won't shut-up so Bugs pulls out a shotgun and blows his fucking brains out. Tell me that wouldn't mobilize the soccer moms and fill the networks with complaint after complaint if it was a new show that these overprotective parents didn't watch themselves growing up. Do you think childrens cartoons could make light of getting drunk and stumbling around the neighborhood like an idiot now? That was one of the most frequent themes on Merry Melodies cartoons. How about how every maid was black or how black men were protrayed as slow, stupid guys who were quick to fight? No fucking way that flies in today's market.

You can't go back to what that show was. Different era, different animation style, etc. Even if they could get the voices and animation down the same they could never make episodes true to the originals because the 2000s are so different from the 1940s. Could you imagine the problems if they created propaganda cartoons about Iraqis or Afghans like they did with the Germans?

You can't go back and I find it ridiculous that everyone wants to criticize a fresh new idea because it steps away from the norm. I mean, don't you guys hate it when a musician puts out record after record that each sound like the one before it? I prefer musicians who put out something new and unexpected every new release. Why is it any different in television?

Anyways, I think it's a fresh idea and it definitely has potential to become an interesting cartoon.

SPARKY
02-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I see nothing wrong with a new perspective. If you like the old school Looney Tunes you can still enjoy that to your heart's content.

Useruser666
02-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I have hated just about any and all remakes of classic cartoons and TV shows.

Transformers - suck
What ever this is - suck
Power Rangers - always sucked

I wonder who the hell they can get to wear those costumes at Six Flags Astroworld.

MannyIsGod
02-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Here's a though, maybe they all suck because you're not 10 anymore?

Shelly
02-19-2005, 03:50 PM
All I can say that Mel Blanc was a genius. Bug Bunny was never the same after he died.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Neither was this guy:
http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_36/twiki/gifs/twiki.gif

Useruser666
02-19-2005, 11:16 PM

Uh, no it's because they suck.

3rdCoast
02-19-2005, 11:18 PM
cartoons = shit, old or new. simple as that

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2005, 11:53 PM
This is bullshit, why are they changing them? I would stay with classic cartoons...you guys notice that all the old cartoons kick fucking ass like bugs bunny, popeye the sailor man, ben and jerry, etc.

No one will watch these ugly pieces of shit. Todays cartoons suck major ass.

baseline bum
02-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Family Guy, Simpsons, Cowboy Bebop, Futurama, etc. suck? You're trippin man.

ShoogarBear
02-20-2005, 07:04 PM
This is bullshit, why are they changing them? I would stay with classic cartoons...you guys notice that all the old cartoons kick fucking ass like bugs bunny, popeye the sailor man, ben and jerry, etc.

Yeah, whenever I think of Ben and Jerry, I think of some serious ass-kciking.

:lmao :lmao

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Ben and Jerry kicks ass. Best cartoon ever.

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Family Guy, Simpsons, Cowboy Bebop, Futurama, etc. suck? You're trippin man.

Classic cartoons take these pieces of fuck and smokes em.

King
02-20-2005, 11:13 PM

That's an ice cream, chief.

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2005, 11:36 PM
That's an ice cream, chief.
Wow, I just realized I have been saying Ben and Jerry,

when I really meant Tom and Jerry....wow I am a dumbass.

What can I say, I have Ben and Jerry's ice cream in my freezer.

Lorna Cole
02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
I was channel surfing last night, and ran across a cartoon called "Duck Dodgers". I think that is just a stupid cartoon. I don't know what it was about it, I didn't know daffy duck had his own thing going on. DUMB!

Taco
02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
That's dispicable!

:lmao

timvp
02-23-2005, 05:21 AM

:lmao :lmao

:rollin

This thread is classic.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Y'know, I've never, ever done this before. But I am finally forced to create my first signature.

jalbre6
04-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Yeah I saw this on the news today. Veeeeeery weird. I don't like it at all. Why the hell does everything have to go or look high tech?! :pctoss Its freaking bugs bunny! Why did Looney tunes have to meet Anime. They look scary almost. I wish cartoons were still what they were when I was growing up....smurfs...rainbow brite..strawberry shortcake..old school transformers and GI Joe..gummy bears..Jem :lol Those were the days!

Faccia, a lot of other people apparently share your opinion.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/27/cartoon.controversy.ap/index.html

Boy's campaign saves Bugs Bunny
Petition convinces network to make characters less menacing

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Posted: 4:09 PM EDT (2009 GMT)

Thomas Adams' petition asked Warner Bros. to create new characters instead of "ruining" the old ones.

RELATED
• Save Our Looney Tunes
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Cartoon

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

TULSA, Oklahoma (AP) -- Eleven-year-old Thomas Adams thought Warner Bros. had gone daffy when he saw the company's plans for a new cartoon called "Loonatics," based on Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes pals.

The grimacing, hollow-eyed, power-fisted prototypes of a futuristic Bugs, Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner struck the boy as dark and scary. In the words of Daffy Duck, he found them "dethh-picable."

Now, nearly two months after starting an Internet petition drive against the TV series' fall debut, Thomas has gotten the company's attention.

Warner Bros. Entertainment spokesman Scott Rowe said his company wants the thousands of fans upset by the made-over characters unveiled in February to know "that's NOT all, folks." (Warner Bros. is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

Those "early drawings" have been revised into characters that are softer and less menacing, he said.

"We heard the outcry from fans, including Thomas," Rowe said.

That's enough to draw an emphatic "YESSS!" from the lanky fifth-grader who started the stir with fewer than 20 signatures on a piece of paper at his private school.

Thomas couldn't figure out what was up with the plans to turn the old Looney Tunes gang into their Japanese anime-styled descendants. The prototypes depicted sword-eared superheroes, such as "Buzz Bunny," battling evil in the year 2772.

"Those weren't the Looney Tunes I know," said the boy, whose favorite classic character is the Tasmanian Devil "besides Bugs, of course."

Thomas' parents, Rachel and John Adams, suggested he might have more success by taking his drive to the Web. A family friend who runs an Internet design business was willing to help.

Between piano lessons and shooting hoops, the boy pedaled his bike to the friend's house over several evenings to work on the site's content. On February 28, www.saveourlooneytunes.com came on line.

The petition asked Warner Bros. to create entirely new characters for the series instead of "ruining" the old ones.

Within days, the response had overwhelmed the family's home computer. By late March, more than 25,000 people from around the world had signed the petition. After a CNN story on Thomas aired in mid-April, the site had tallied 80,000 signatures and 95,000 hits, the family said.

"Keep up the fight," fellow fans urged in their e-mails, calling the boy an inspiration.

The passion of fans for the old characters is understandable, said Bob Bergen, the voice actor behind Porky's stutter and Tweety's "putty tat" the past 15 years.

The "early drawings" of the original Loonatics characters.

"They've been around since the 1930s," he said. "They've been around as long as classic motion pictures."

Bergen, who decided at age 5 he wanted to be Porky Pig and "just pursued it," is not involved in the new series' development, but he cautions fans against rushing to judgment before it airs.

"The kids who are going to be seeing this are not as versed in classic Looney Tunes as these fans are," he said. "Let the target audience be the judge."

The "Loonatics" -- scheduled to air Saturday mornings come fall on Kids' WB! -- is aimed at 6-to-11-year-olds. Test groups loved it, Rowe said.

It's not intended to replaced the original characters, which appear in new episodes on Cartoon Network and classic shows on the network's station Boomerang.

"We just wanted to create something that would be accessible and fun to a new generation of kids," he said.

He said the redrawn characters will be unveiled at a later date but that "Loonatics" will remain an action-adventure show.

Thomas, who has dreams of becoming a cartoonist or comedian, hopes Warner Bros. also will continue to create new episodes for the old Looney Tunes gang.

Thrilled to have made a difference in a way his mother calls "a David and Goliath story," the young activist is considering a new protest.

"I was thinking about doing one against homework," he said.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Do you guys remember in the early 1990's, they released those T-Shirts of single Looney Tune characters but like in Ghetto Form?

They had like Bugs Bunny wearing a backwards black cap, with multiple earrings, wearing sagging shorts, or Tazmanian Devil pretty much looking the same exact way? And like so many kids and pre teen and teens wore them?? They were MAD popular for a while. But then they just....disappeared...

Gatita
04-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Just saw the picture....don't like it. So, I won't watch them.

I got over those cartoons. I watch Family Guy, Futurama, The Oblongs, and Harvey Birdman.

Adult Swim Rules!!

johnny00
04-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Another thing to think about... if Merry Melodies weren't considered classics there's no way they'd ever make it on childrens tv in the US now. I know the popular perception is that shows are way more risque now, but this show in particular did a lot of things that would never fly now. I remember seeing one episode where Bugs was playing the piano in an auditorium and one guy won't shut-up so Bugs pulls out a shotgun and blows his fucking brains out. .

Good take baseline.Y'know if you ever get a chance to see some of the old interviews with the creators of the looney tunes characters, all of them say they created those cartoons for themselves because thats what they thought was funny.They were never trying to please anyone but themselves, and it shows.... some of the funniest (and most copied) gags in cartoons were introduced in those comic shorts.

True, over the decades cartoons slowly eroded into a marketing device used to sell action figures, video games, cereal and etc. It's crap like The Care Bears,The Smurfs and a multitude of others I can't name where cleverness and creativity are sacrificed for the benefit of the allmighty dollar.

And people are left wondering where are the honest laughs? Can we watch something like back in the day that left us with a tear in our eye because it was so damn funny?

Yes there is.

Lets not shortchange some of the toons that continue to strive to carry the standard set by thier forefathers so to speak, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama and many others (mostly seen on Adult Swim by the way) are succeeding in maintaining a high quality of comedy from sight gags, social and political commentary as well as just plain buffoonery.
The creators care about the product thats being presented and it's this kind of mix or chemistry that made those same cartoons from the 30's, 40's and 50's just as funny!!

So while there will always be garbage like the "new looney tunes" *yawn* Thank God there are still those that aren't satisfied with the status quo and continue to push the envelope to not only please themselves but give us entertainment that our kids will tell thier kids about.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I wish they still showed Merry Melodies

One of my favorite is when Bugs and Elmer are like doing a viking opera or something and they just chase each other around all stage

And bugs puts fertilizer on elmer's head and flowers grow lol

then he quickly turns into a girl and they get married
hahaha