PDA

View Full Version : Parker is anything but a PG

nkdlunch
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
He is great, fast, fearless. Unvaluable.

But he is not a PG. A PG's job is to get his team involved, run the offense for the TEAM. he has not done that for the 3rd game in a row.

All he does is penetrate, shot his midrange, and sometimes kick it out to the 3 pt shooter when he has no other choice. that is not a PG!!!!

Hill came in last night and ran the team as a PG should.

With Manu out, shouldn't we have a PG that tries to get the team involved??????

come on TP, play as a traditional PG more. this is BS :pctoss

hater
11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
he is the PG because he is too small to play SG. that's the only reason. :(

td4mvp21
11-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Maybe if everyone on the team decided not to clank open shots he would have more assists.

stretch
11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
great scorer, mediocre point guard.

another undersized two, like jason terry, ben gordon, monta ellis, etc...

hater
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe if everyone on the team decided not to clank open shots he would have more assists.

why do they have to depend on the jump shot? we are not the mavericks.

stretch
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
however, for the spurs type of system, he fits perfectly. stick him into a team like the suns or hornets, and their offense struggles like a motherfucker

nkdlunch
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Manu, Barry were the players that ran the offense getting players involved last year.

I just hope we can see more of Hill. And wait for Manu comeback. Meanwhile, we might be like the Titanic

mrspurs
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Manu, Barry were the players that ran the offense getting players involved last year.

I just hope we can see more of Hill. And wait for Manu comeback. Meanwhile, we might be like the Titanic

Amen to that. You see it like it is. Manu and Brent ran more offensive plays then TP. And we all know that TP isnt a true point. Thats why it made no sense then togo for a true point or a solid big in this past draft. Now they're trying to teach Hill the same way they're trying to teach Tony. Without Manu and Brent mixing up the way the spurs play. Now people can see just how easy this team is to beat. Let Tony score all the points he wants. But when he stops hitting thats it. He cant make the team better in other ways. Timmy has to get involved from the outside now in getting the ball passed around. Even when Manu was playing but was hurt. Thats why Pop wanted Kidd so bad. Those true points are hard to find. And who did we bring in? Roger? talk about the runt of the litter.

spursfan09
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
:rolleyes

It takes other people hitting thier damn shots for TP to get his assists. Everyone else is pretty much sucking. Its funny that Spurs start off real slow and its parker's fault. It's not because of injury to Manu, its not becasue the Spurs couldn't get some decent players in the off season, it's not because Bowen is losing a step, its all parker. Where were these threads when he was carrying us to victories in the playoffs or winning Finals MVP? It's just Spurs fans doing thier favorite past time- hatin on Tony.

SCdac
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
One thing about Parker that never ceases to annoy me is his tunnel vision. He's not a bad passer per se, but he puts his head down too much in mid-drive and winds up getting his shot swatted, or dishing desperate passes. It's not that he's not trying hard enough, but rather trying too hard when the opening isn't there. It also seems like Parker is hesitating too much right now, letting shotblockers/defenders get that extra second or two to react to him, but I imagine he'll feel more comfortable as the games go on.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Of course not. He's a PC.

Brazil
11-05-2008, 03:18 PM

It takes other people hitting thier damn shots for TP to get his assists. Everyone else is pretty much sucking. Its funny that Spurs start off real slow and its parker's fault. It's not because of injury to Manu, its not becasue the Spurs couldn't get some decent players in the off season, it's not because Bowen is losing a step, its all parker. Where were these threads when he was carrying us to victories in the playoffs or winning Finals MVP? It's just Spurs fans doing thier favorite past time- hatin on Tony.

+1

Chomag
11-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Not taking anything away from parker because the man can all out ball but honestly I would love to see more of him move to the 2 guard on some game situations later down the line this year if Hill continues to improve. I know we have allready seen pop toy with this a little bit but I would love to see more of it.

All I can truly say is that our back court is all win! We have Manu(when he gets back) Mason, Hill, Parker, and even Findog(although with his game fading I still think he can give occasional production). There are just so many options and things that the spurs can go with it's almost unreal.

all_heart
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Parker isn't the problem. The problem is that Manu is hurt, not enough production from the bigs besides Tim. And of course missing too many shots. I think Timmy is best as a help defender as he keeps his side of the floor honest and can slide over to help on D, causing either a miss or the other team to get out of sync. Parker is the only guy we have right now that can get to the rim and why not, it's not like we have sharp shooters knocking down jumpers and 3's.

Lackluster
11-05-2008, 03:37 PM
before last night parker was top 5 in the league in assists @ 8 apg, while still averaging 28 points.

does the spurs offense really call for a true pg?
are we underrating the drive in kick out - inside out game of tony parker?
how often is duncan called on to quarterback the team from the post?
how often are parker's assist numbers skewed because:

1. we can't hit shots or
2. the spurs ball movement around the perimeter is flowing

spursfan09
11-05-2008, 04:06 PM
before last night parker was top 5 in the league in assists @ 8 apg, while still averaging 28 points.

are we underrating the drive in kick out - inside out game of tony parker?
how often is duncan called on to quarterback the team from the post?

1. we can't hit shots or

oh please don't confuse some spur fans with your logical analysis. Its all Tony's fault.

Brazil
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Tony sucks !

Spurminator
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM
All he does is penetrate, huh? Yeah why would a true PG ever do that?

Allanon
11-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Tony's not a shooting guard because he's not a good shooter.

Tony's the best little "Big Man" in the NBA. He gets more points in the paint than most Bigs.

JamStone
11-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Invaluable.

Unvaluable sounds like he has no value.

T Park
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Spurs problems:
1-Manu injured
2-Weak frontcourt
3-ugly ass bench.

TP is not our problem,But He really needs to start getting more ppl involved.
What really scares the hell out of me is: what's gonna happen to TP once TD and Manu retire. He is not a franchise tipe of player at all.

Ginobili injured is the reason the bench looks "ugly assed"

A healthy Ginobili coming off the bench with HIll, Udoka, and Finley is a darn good one.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
The absolute best guard in the league in the paint is averaging 26 and 6, shooting 53 percent from the field and 88 percent from the line, has the second and third leading scorers on the team shooting over 60 percent and fans of his own team complain that he doesn't pass enough.

peskypesky
11-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Tony is definitely NOT a true, classic PG...he doesn't have the natural passing gifts of a Nash, Kidd or Paul. He's more like AI, a scorer and creator. But all that being said, he's not a BAD passer and he's not a ball-hog like Marbury...He is what he is, and he's great. He's invaluable. And he is definitely NOT a reason why the Spurs are 0-3. The reasons we're 0-3 are obvious. No Manu, short on bigs, and aging roster (Bowen, Finley and Thomas).

Two other reasons we're not dominating: Scola and Splitter. Just imagine how good we'd be if we'd held on to Scola and/or landed Splitter.

angelbelow
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
did you mean invaluable?

peskypesky
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Not enough to win a championship in my opinion,we need a trade ASAP.

Word.

stretch
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM

so wheres the excuses for the past years when the team was winning championships and shooting high percentages, yet parker was still averaging just 5-6 assists? (with about 3-4 every game coming off of easy dishes to tim duncan). just BY CHANCE everyone would start missing when he would pass it to them for an open look? :rolleyes

its not about the team hitting their shots in this case. plain and simple, Tony Parker is not a passer, distributer, or whatever you want to call it. he is a scorer.

stretch
11-05-2008, 07:40 PM
oh please don't confuse some spur fans with your logical analysis. Its all Tony's fault.

yeah, logic means that since he averaged 8 apg for two games, suddenly he is an elite distributer. :rolleyes

stretch
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
last night parker was top 5 in the league in assists @ 8 apg, while still averaging 28 points.

oh yeah, fantastic analysis... two games into the season :rolleyes

it really doesnt. thats why they have won 3 titles with parker. its more isolation and rotation based.

1. we can't hit shots or

so for basically every year he has been in the league, every time he was passing to open teammates, they would suddenly miss shots? or that someone would always steal his assists by making the extra pass? retarded take. it may fuck up someones stat line for one game, but not over the course of an entire season, especially for a team that has won 3 titles and always shot a high percentage.

stretch
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Tony is definitely NOT a true, classic PG...he doesn't have the natural passing gifts of a Nash, Kidd or Paul. He's more like AI, a scorer and creator. But all that being said, he's not a BAD passer and he's not a ball-hog like Marbury...He is what he is, and he's great. He's invaluable. And he is definitely NOT a reason why the Spurs are 0-3. The reasons we're 0-3 are obvious. No Manu, short on bigs, and aging roster (Bowen, Finley and Thomas).

:tu

Parker is not the problem at all. He absolutely is not a passer, but hes not the problem.

timvp
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Great thread :sleep

AC#21_TD ERA
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM

But he is not a PG. A PG's job is to get his team involved, run the offense for the TEAM. he has not done that for the 3rd game in a row.

All he does is penetrate, shot his midrange, and sometimes kick it out to the 3 pt shooter when he has no other choice. that is not a PG!!!!

Im sick tired for the lasck of respect for Parker here. All Tony Parker has done for the Spurs is win and carried them numerous times. He's a finals MVP and he still doesn't even get respect he deserves. We have won 3 championships with Tony as our Point guard and now your not happy. Say we did get a pass first PG in Kidd a few years back, you wouldn't have even opened a bottle of champaigne and celebrated :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:.

MI21
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Do I have to post the reasons why Parker has lowish assist totals yet again?

anakha
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Where was all of this when the Spurs were winning?

jcrod
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Do I have to post the reasons why Parker has lowish assist totals yet again?

Its the usually idoits or newbies. I believe many of us have stated the reasons over and over. It will never end.

spursfan09
11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
so wheres the excuses for the past years when the team was winning championships and shooting high percentages, yet parker was still averaging just 5-6 assists? (with about 3-4 every game coming off of easy dishes to tim duncan). just BY CHANCE everyone would start missing when he would pass it to them for an open look? :rolleyes

its not about the team hitting their shots in this case. plain and simple, Tony Parker is not a passer, distributer, or whatever you want to call it. he is a scorer.

how many times has it been debated on here, that the Spurs system is just not based on that. Fine if TP is not a "true pg" then so be it, but he has never been apart of a run and gun team. Spurs have always been halfcourt minded.

Lackluster
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
oh yeah, fantastic analysis... two games into the season :rolleyes

well i'm responding to a reactionary thread that is calling out parker's current play after three games, so i'm just going off what's current. i guess i can post up like some preseason stats or maybe some stats from the french nt, or maybe some numbers from like 04, maybe find some high school stats for you... but that wouldn't really mesh with the essence of the thread imo

oh and at the time of this post, parkers got 30 and 7.

spursfan09
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM

:lol he's just telling everybody here at ST to STFU!

anakha
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Only 30 and 7? Trade his ass!

MI21
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh noes, 32/7/5 with 1 turnover on 934FG%.

Ghost Writer
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Sure, he is shoot-first and not a playmaker.

But he has 10 dimes so far tonight.

That's a step in the right direction.

ducks
11-05-2008, 10:45 PM
He Had 11 In Another Game This Season
Double Digigts In 2 Out Of 4 Games With Spurs O Is Good
Especially Without Manu

nkdlunch
11-05-2008, 11:07 PM
holy shit! I was right, he ain't no PG. He is a motherfucking DEMON!!!!

what a beast. I don't care if he doesn't pass to anyone if he plays like this.

Delete this thread :p

timvp
11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
This thread got curbstomped.

ClingingMars
11-05-2008, 11:17 PM
55 points?

just say no bitches

-Mars

Brazil
11-05-2008, 11:18 PM
funniest thread ever now

myhc
11-05-2008, 11:21 PM
top so we can lol

honestfool84
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
what part about TP is not like a point guard?
he's a guard that scored a hell of a lot of points tonight.

sounds like a point guard to me.

m33p0
11-06-2008, 12:22 AM
10 assists says he is.

[/thread]

MannyIsGod
11-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah he's a fucking superstar. Superstar >>> PG.

ClingingMars
11-06-2008, 12:42 AM
he's a monster.

-Mars

MI21
11-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Where is IceColdBrewski?

Beno with a mammoth 2-9FG 4pts 6asts 4TO game.

But yeah, Beno > Parker

:lol

jjktkk
11-06-2008, 01:01 AM

I have to ask do you know the game of basketball well? TP had 10 assists tonight. I repeat 10 assists!!!! That is very, very, solid. 10 assists to go along with 55 points. If TP isn't one of the top 5 PG's in the league, whoever decides. needs a urnaliysis test.

Brutalis
11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
For one TP has never had to be a tradition PG on the Spurs. He has always been a scoring option and one to move well without the ball to get open too. For two I shouldn't even have to go on.

I am sure when the day comes for TP to be a traditional PG he will be somewhere else or fill that roll nicely here.

knee-knee-3
11-06-2008, 01:06 AM

honestfool84
11-06-2008, 01:07 AM
For one TP has never had to be a tradition PG on the Spurs. He has always been a scoring option and one to move well without the ball to get open too. For two I shouldn't even have to go on.

I am sure when the day comes for TP to be a traditional PG he will be somewhere else or fill that roll nicely here.

hopefully parker retires as a spur.

#9 sure would look good up there on the rafters alongside #21 and #20.

knee-knee-3
11-06-2008, 01:12 AM

Oops!

I think your desire for Tony to play a more traditional point isn't realistic. He can't get Bowen, Finley and Udoka involved if they can't make their shots. He's as dependable as Duncan right now, so why not give him the green light?

spurspf
11-06-2008, 01:22 AM

If Tony Parker got traded tomorrow, #9 would still be in the rafters. (and no I am not advocating trading him, just saying he has done more than other people whose #'s are already there. Sorrry TimVP, thinking of #6.)

Solid D
11-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Tony's not a shooting guard because he's not a good shooter.

Oops. Rethink "not a good shooter".

Cry Havoc
11-06-2008, 02:28 AM

#50.

Naelven
11-06-2008, 07:14 AM
You are all wrong, TP is a SCPG : Shooting Center Point Guard !

Allanon
11-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Oops. Rethink "not a good shooter".

Tony had a video game like performance last night, looking at the numbers, I missed the game.

But I still don't think he's a good shooter (meaning jump shots/3 pointers). He's crazy in the paint.

urunobili
11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Tony had a video game like performance last night, looking at the numbers, I missed the game.

But I still don't think he's a good shooter (meaning jump shots/3 pointers). He's crazy in the paint.

3-4 for the season on 3 pts shooting say something different...

Brazil
11-06-2008, 07:28 AM
You are all wrong, TP is a SCPG : Shooting Center Point Guard !

lol good definition !

Allanon
11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
3-4 for the season on 3 pts shooting say something different...

I believe it's 3 of 5 for 60%. Those are nice numbers but it's still a small sample.

We'll see how he does on the season. Maybe he's improved his 3 point shooting but I don't think so.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Parker's not a point guard. All he does is dribble the ball up the floor, penetrates and kicks, or goes in for a layup if they play off him, passes to a teammate if they press him, shoots it if they go under the pick, and passes to one of his teammates if they're open. that is not a PG!!!!

stretch
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
how many times has it been debated on here, that the Spurs system is just not based on that. Fine if TP is not a "true pg" then so be it, but he has never been apart of a run and gun team. Spurs have always been halfcourt minded.

I don't know why yall get so defensive of parker when people simply say he is not a very good passer, especially in comparison to elite passing PGs like Kidd, Nash, Paul, etc... Parker is still a damn good player and fits perfectly for the Spurs system, as evidenced by the 3 titles. Why whine like babies over the fact that someone pointed out a flaw in him (which i dont really consider a flaw, because i consider him an undersized SG, not a PG)

stretch
11-06-2008, 09:12 AM
well i'm responding to a reactionary thread that is calling out parker's current play after three games, so i'm just going off what's current. i guess i can post up like some preseason stats or maybe some stats from the french nt, or maybe some numbers from like 04, maybe find some high school stats for you... but that wouldn't really mesh with the essence of the thread imo

using stats two games into the regular season is pretty much equally worthless as all those other stats.

good for him.

xapatan2
11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
:sleep
:sleep

oups sorry !

Well, you are still on this :bang:bang:bang thread guys ... :sleep

Well, that's interesting :sleep:sleep:sleep

But I have something deeper for you :

Is Tim Duncan a powerforward or a center ?
Is Manu A slasher or a creator ? or is he o SF or SG ????
:sleep:sleep:sleep

Xap'

spursfan09
11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't know why yall get so defensive of parker when people simply say he is not a very good passer, especially in comparison to elite passing PGs like Kidd, Nash, Paul, etc... Parker is still a damn good player and fits perfectly for the Spurs system, as evidenced by the 3 titles. Why whine like babies over the fact that someone pointed out a flaw in him (which i dont really consider a flaw, because i consider him an undersized SG, not a PG)

I can agree that TP is not a great passer. But at the same time you have to realize the Spurs system doesn't need him to be. Whether he could be considered "elite" on another team with another system is pointless to debate because we just won't know. As for us getting defensive, haven't you been here long enough to know how many Spur fans love to rag on TP because they don't like them. Why they don't like him is beyond me, but this is constant and I think thats why many people come to his defense rather quickly.

mathbzh
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Does Parker control the tempo of the game? Initiate fast breaks? Set up plays? Apply Pop's plan?...

If he does that, I think he is a true PG despite not being an elite passer.

stretch
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I can agree that TP is not a great passer. But at the same time you have to realize the Spurs system doesn't need him to be.

Already aknowledged that.

Whether he could be considered "elite" on another team with another system is pointless to debate because we just won't know.

Which is basically what all the TP nut riders do.

As for us getting defensive, haven't you been here long enough to know how many Spur fans love to rag on TP because they don't like them. Why they don't like him is beyond me, but this is constant and I think thats why many people come to his defense rather quickly.

Actually I've been around longer than you have. I've seen the hate, and a lot of it is ridiculous. But not as much as the countless retards who just suck his dick non-stop. I'd say thats 10x more obnoxious.

stretch
11-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Does Parker control the tempo of the game? Initiate fast breaks? Set up plays? Apply Pop's plan?...

He pretty much does all those things for his own scoring benefits. Rarely does he do those things to get others involved. Parker is very good at creating for himself. But not so great at creating for others.

Naelven
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM

If he does that, I think he is a true PG despite not being an elite passer.

I totaly agree.
Being a PG is not all about passing the ball, it is about being the thinking head of the team, controlling the tempo of the game, apply coach's strategy.
That being said, TP is a damn good PG.

xellos88330
11-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Parker is a scoring point guard, plain and simple. He doesn't distribute the ball as much as most would like, but what is the point when the other team can't stop you? You go under a pick, he torches you, you fight through it, he torches you, you play it well, he still torches you.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Because it was a Spurs fan doing it, whining about Parker when the Spurs are 0-3 despite the fact that he's putting up MVP numbers as though his lack of Jason Kidd assist numbers is the reason the Spurs can't stop a layup or guard jump shots.

spursfan09
11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Already aknowledged that.

Which is basically what all the TP nut riders do.

Actually I've been around longer than you have. I've seen the hate, and a lot of it is ridiculous. But not as much as the countless retards who just suck his dick non-stop. I'd say thats 10x more obnoxious.

Just because my s/n said i signed up whenever, I can honestly say I have been longer than you. Since when this forum first came into exisitence, I just never signed up. just thought I'd put than in there....

I still see no problem sticking up for Tony Parker when threads like "trade Parker" pop up and so on. If its seems obnoxious well just remember who's team forum this is.

my2sons
11-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Invaluable.

Unvaluable sounds like he has no value.

He's more that famous...he's in-famous

3amigo quote for those that missed it

MarHill
11-06-2008, 05:28 PM

I have to write this is unfair criticism of TP. First of all, he has been on this team for seven years and his game has matured and last night showed if he can hit his jump shot consistently...he will basically be unguardable.

Also, Pop has allowed TP to become more agressive with his offense (obviously because Manu is out...right now) and even before that. Pop knows Tony's strength and playing to those strengths has made him a key component of bringing three championships out of the last six. What else does this guy needs to do?

Nobody's perfect and TP will never be traditional point guard and you don't need that for the Spurs system!!!

I commend Pop for using TP's strengths instead forcing him into becoming something he's not. It is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole!! Not going to work!!

Can we enjoy what we have and appreciate what he's bring to the table?

Geesh!! :bang

Obstructed_View
11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
He's more that famous...he's in-famous

3amigo quote for those that missed it

Plus, he had a plethora of points.