PDA

View Full Version : A True Student/Athlete

FromWayDowntown
11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/11/06/rolle/index.html?eref=T1

Myron Rolle, starting safety at FSU and a vital part of the 'Noles defense, has already decided that he's going to skip his team's game against Maryland in a couple of weeks. It's a game that could be very important for FSU and its hopes to win its division in the ACC. Amazingly, his coaches are cool with his decision, too.

It's something you almost never see happen -- a key player for a big-time team missing an important game voluntarily. And that occurs even less frequently for the reason that Rolle is missing the game.

You see, Myron Rolle has to interview that day as a finalist for one of 32 Rhodes scholarships awarded to American students in any given academic year.

I, for one, hope he gets it.

Even if he doesn't, he deserves major props for keeping his priorities straight; and his coaches deserve credit for understanding the enormity of the opportunity that he has. I've never been a big fan of Bobby Bowden, but maybe he gets it more than I've ever understood.

nfg3
11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Hope he gets it, too. Amazing story. As stated this kid obviously has his priorities in order.

I would have expected that from Joe Paterno but not neccessarily from Bowden. Props to Bowden for agreeable to let this happen.

samikeyp
11-10-2008, 11:22 PM
:tu

FromWayDowntown
11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Just to follow up, Myron Rolle became the rare major college athlete (and the even rarer major college football player) to win a Rhodes scholarship.

It's so awesome to see a football factory recognize the significance of the opportunity that is a Rhodes Scholarship and to support a player in line for that award rather than questioning his commitment or his priorities. This kid has it right and he's everything that's good about major college football.

Massive, massive ups to Myron Rolle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/ncaafootball/23rolle.html?ref=ncaafootball

samikeyp
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Glad to see he got it. :toast

Cant_Be_Faded
11-26-2008, 12:46 AM
prahps

RonMexico
11-26-2008, 01:21 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/11/06/rolle/index.html?eref=T1

Myron Rolle, starting safety at FSU and a vital part of the 'Noles defense, has already decided that he's going to skip his team's game against Maryland in a couple of weeks. It's a game that could be very important for FSU and its hopes to win its division in the ACC. Amazingly, his coaches are cool with his decision, too.

It's something you almost never see happen -- a key player for a big-time team missing an important game voluntarily. And that occurs even less frequently for the reason that Rolle is missing the game.

You see, Myron Rolle has to interview that day as a finalist for one of 32 Rhodes scholarships awarded to American students in any given academic year.

I, for one, hope he gets it.

Even if he doesn't, he deserves major props for keeping his priorities straight; and his coaches deserve credit for understanding the enormity of the opportunity that he has. I've never been a big fan of Bobby Bowden, but maybe he gets it more than I've ever understood.

If you ever get a chance to see the "Beyond the Glory" on Bobby Bowden, it's a definite eye opener. I watched it one afternoon my senior year of college wtih my roommate and both of us changed our opinions of him immediately. He really is a good guy who does want his kids to succeed, but sometimes he can't help that the best talent can come with the worst problems. He is not opposed to suspending his key players (5 WR against BC recently, and Chris Rix for a bowl game) for academic mishaps.

FromWayDowntown
11-26-2008, 02:25 AM
If you ever get a chance to see the "Beyond the Glory" on Bobby Bowden, it's a definite eye opener. I watched it one afternoon my senior year of college wtih my roommate and both of us changed our opinions of him immediately. He really is a good guy who does want his kids to succeed, but sometimes he can't help that the best talent can come with the worst problems. He is not opposed to suspending his key players (5 WR against BC recently, and Chris Rix for a bowl game) for academic mishaps.

Like I say, my expectation upon learning of Rolle's situation was to hear Bowden talking about the importance of a football game. I was truly blown away at how genuinely Bowden has supported his player, even if there was some possibility that allowing Rolle to do what was best for himself might hurt the football team. Like you and your roommate, this situation has opened my eyes a bit and helped me to see that Bowden's preachings about what's best for his kids are genuine sentiments -- in every sense.

I think there are certain guys who are built to coach at the collegiate level -- mostly because they understand the duality that should define the college football player's existence and truly want the best for their players in both areas. It's not just coaches who build great football teams; it's coaches who build quality teams and who are devoted to seeing that the kids who play on those teams get as much out of the collegiate experience as possible. Joe Paterno has always been the paragon of that for me. Bowden might have moved into that territory, too.

It's just an amazing accomplishment for Rolle. I don't think most people who haven't been there can appreciate just how difficult it can be to maintain a level of academic excellence in college while devoting such a substantial portion of available time to an extracurricular activity like football. I know that I struggled with it at a school that didn't have a particularly high degree of football commitment; I can only imagine the time constraints that Myron Rolle faces in achieving at such high levels in both realms.

On a side note, I'm slightly disappointed -- but not terribly surprised -- at the lack of interest in this topic. I think this is the most significant accomplishment that will be registered by any player on any collegiate football roster in 2008-09. I'm probably alone in that assessment, but it's just an incredible accomplishment and one that few are really acknowledging.

timvp
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Cool story. This thread is the first I'm reading about it.

RonMexico
11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
On a side note, I'm slightly disappointed -- but not terribly surprised -- at the lack of interest in this topic. I think this is the most significant accomplishment that will be registered by any player on any collegiate football roster in 2008-09. I'm probably alone in that assessment, but it's just an incredible accomplishment and one that few are really acknowledging.

I'll agree with you. It doesn't have to do with the BCS, Michigan's terrible record, or Tim Tebow circumsicing Filipino children so most of the big media would ignore it.

However, I will admit that during halftime of OU-Tech, Matt Winer called it the "biggest story of the day... maybe the year" which I thought was at least the minimum level of appropriateness the story should have received. They could definitely do a lot better, but scandals and stupid heartwarming stories seem to be the big "sells" (how would we know what sells anyway since ESPN force feeds us everything through a quadrillion outlets).

I'm glad he got a profile in the NY Times because that is good exposure, but he really should be celebrated across the country for this accomplishment. To think that he started at safety as a freshman for a prestigious football program, graduated early, and became a Rhodes scholar is incredible.

Some may feel it's a bit racist to draw the following parallel, but I think it's valid: Myron Rolle should be as much a public symbol and role model for America's black youth as Barack Obama has been after being elected president. Differences lie in that campaigns could be more like popularity contests, while academic achievements can be much more merit-based, but the idea that hard work and dedication pay off is consistent. Still, I would like to see some of the behind the scenes action in how Rolle interacted with his teammates and whether he was able to inspire any of them. I mean, Tommy Lee got his own show about going to college, shouldn't Rolle have had an ESPN series dedicated to him beginning in August?

K-State Spur
11-26-2008, 09:38 AM
this should be far far far more important than the stupid hypesman trophy.

leemajors
11-26-2008, 09:59 AM
i saw a story about this on sportscenter the other night. the NFL can wait, he needs to take advantage of this awesome opportunity. :tu

FromWayDowntown
11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
However, I will admit that during halftime of OU-Tech, Matt Winer called it the "biggest story of the day... maybe the year" which I thought was at least the minimum level of appropriateness the story should have received. They could definitely do a lot better, but scandals and stupid heartwarming stories seem to be the big "sells" (how would we know what sells anyway since ESPN force feeds us everything through a quadrillion outlets).

I didn't see halftime of the OU-Tech game, but I'm glad that I'm not alone in recognizing the enormity and significance of this story and of Myron Rolle's accomplishment. He really should be the model for all student-athletes and, arguably, should be the face of the NCAA.

I'm glad he got a profile in the NY Times because that is good exposure, but he really should be celebrated across the country for this accomplishment. To think that he started at safety as a freshman for a prestigious football program, graduated early, and became a Rhodes scholar is incredible.

Absolutely agree. I'm sure that none of this is about accolades for Myron Rolle. But I'm also sure that our society should be celebrating kids like this.

Some may feel it's a bit racist to draw the following parallel, but I think it's valid: Myron Rolle should be as much a public symbol and role model for America's black youth as Barack Obama has been after being elected president. Differences lie in that campaigns could be more like popularity contests, while academic achievements can be much more merit-based, but the idea that hard work and dedication pay off is consistent. Still, I would like to see some of the behind the scenes action in how Rolle interacted with his teammates and whether he was able to inspire any of them. I mean, Tommy Lee got his own show about going to college, shouldn't Rolle have had an ESPN series dedicated to him beginning in August?

I think the parallel is a valid one. Both Obama and Rolle are tremendous role models for anyone, but their stories might particularly resonate with black youth. I mean, here are these great stories of dedication and accomplishment -- stories that seem to prove that commitment can lead to great things -- and it's a secondary story in the sports world to Michael Vick's plea on dog fighting charges? Really?

leemajors
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
He was on PTI for 5 good minutes today - great interview. Anyone else catch it?

Doug Collins
11-27-2008, 12:26 PM
He was on PTI for 5 good minutes today - great interview. Anyone else catch it?

No, wish I had... I'll check V-Cast. PTI guys know how to step it up with the right interview subjects.

(Written by RonMexico on Doug Collins's computer)