PDA

View Full Version : The team we need to respect

Walton Buys Off Me
02-19-2005, 11:43 AM
For the past week or so, I've been on the phone arguing with TwoHandJam that we need to start respecting and acknowledging a certain team in the West. In my opinion, it's not he Phoenix Suns, the Seattle Sonics, the once mighty-now-mediocre Lakers, not the Dallas Mavericks; it's the Houston Rockets. At the beginning of the season, with Shaq being traded to Miami, the only team that stood in the way of San Antonio returning to the Finals was the Minnesota Timberwolves. With the reigning MVP Kevin Garnett and another year of playing alongside Sam Cassell and Latrell Spreewell, the Wolves were arguably the team to beat out West. Turns out, Spreewell was more concerned about "feeding his family" via a contract extension and Cassell obviously has not come close to recovering from offseason hip surgery. This has left the Wolves with a sub-.500 record and has spelled the end of Flip Saunders' nine-year coaching career in Minnesota. You can’t really count out a team with Kevin Garnett and I'm sure that GM-turned coach Kevin McHale will be looking to pull the trigger on something in the next hundred hours, but in reality, the season is lost for Minnesota.

What has this done to the landscape in the Western Conference? Has any team(s) emerged? Well, for starters, San Antonio, as expected sits atop the mountain with an NBA best 41-12 record, including a ridiculous 23-1 clip at home. The Phoenix Suns aren’t far behind, but have been beaten by San Antonio twice already this season (including one in blowout fashion) and just 48 hours ago were beaten at home by Dallas in a game that showcased the Suns' biggest weakness; they scored 113 points, 100 of those came from their starters. Without Steve Nash in the lineup, Phoenix is 0-6 this year. Nash is so good that he makes Jake Voskuhl look like a basketball player and he's hand delivered Amaré Stoudemire into superstardom but anyone with a basketball IQ knows that at 35 minutes a game, it's going to be tough for Nash and Phoenix to improve on a stellar first half of the season. His lack of durability and penchant for second half setbacks was the deciding factor in Mark Cuban electing not to resign the all-star guard remember.This is why I don’t consider Phoenix the biggest threat.

Moving on to possibly the league's most improved team from a year ago, Nate McMillan’s Seattle Sonics. With all the talk of a contract extension, Ray Allen is quietly having maybe the best year of his career and the Sonics sit atop the Northwest division with a 35-15 record. They also hold the distinction of being the only team that has won on the floor of the SBC center this year. If someone were to have told me in September that Seattle would be ten games ahead of Minnesota at the all-star break, I would have presumed Kevin Garnett has sustained a season-ending injury the first week of the year. The Sonics however are starting to show signs that Cinderella may have danced her last dance. They have dropped consecutive games at home to Dallas and to Oakland and Ray Allen, averaging nearly 40 minutes of action a night, has looked tired in both. Rashard Lewis, who came out of the gates averaging nearly 25 points a game for the first two months of the season, has scored over twenty only twice in his last 10 games, indicating that the first time all-star may not be fully healed from a sore left knee that forced him to miss three straight games in January. Seattle is more of a threat than Phoenix but Spurs fans need to focus on one team only now.

Every year, in every sport there are teams that nobody expected to make waves, yet come out of the gates and have everyone asking if they're for real. This year, Phoenix and Seattle are perfect examples of this. However, right around this time of year, something happens in professional sports. Pretenders fade away, unable to deal with the challenges and rigors that the NBA season produces. As teams like Phoenix and Seattle come back down to Earth, contenders arise. The Houston Rockets, coached not by the rookie Mike D'Antoni nor by the barely playoff tested, Nate McMillan, have won nine consecutive games, have also defeated the Spurs twice this season, and the man Gregg Popovich defeated in 1999 in the NBA Finals, Jeff Van Gundy is starting to see the potential many expected from his team before the season started. The Rockets do something that Phoenix could only dream of, play defense and they do it almost as well as the Spurs, which says a lot. The Rockets also have a bench almost as deep as that of San Antonio and boast a bonafide all-star duo in Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. Just this year alone, Houston has acquired not only the elite McGrady, but has also plugged holes with dead eye shooters Jon Barry and David Wesley and has for the first time in a long time, a point guard that actually utilizes his teammates in Bobby Sura- a triple double waiting to happen. With Ming, backup center Dikembe Mutombo, forwards Maurice Taylor and Juwan Howard, Houston has over 24 fouls to throw at Tim Duncan on any given night and more than enough length to bother the two-time MVP. In McGrady, the Rockets have a 6"9' scoring machine that has lit up defensive stopper Bruce Bowen to the tune of 61 points in two games this year. I won’t even get into the 13 points he scored in 35 seconds. In the two losses in Houston, the Spurs have scored 80 and 67 points respectively. One can argue that this Houston team was built to beat to Spurs- I mean it's not inconceivable that other GMs see the Spurs as the team to beat, however it's the Rockets that have made the biggest effort in doing so.

In short, the Rockets are strong where others in the West are weak. They have bodies to bother Duncan, they have perimeter defenders to counter San Antonio's speed, they have a coach that doesn't play his players the full 48 minutes during a regular season game in Toronto and they have a bench that contributes on a nightly basis. It would be very interesting to candidly ask Gregg Popovich which team worries him the most in a seven game series. I can almost guarantee, he points to the north and says Houston.

I'm very much looking forward to the game on Wednesday night.

Terrence and Philip
02-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Terrence (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=167) and Philip (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?userid=53) make such a delightful tag team.

http://www.cafe.rapidus.net/rayturco/sp/p%20terrence%20et%20philip.jpg

duncan2k5
02-19-2005, 12:02 PM
They are not good enough nor deep enough to beat the spurs in seven games. we would have beat them the first time had it not been for Divine Intervention. The second time was a struggle. we missed shots we usually make. Houston wouldn't win one game in the playoffs. just like last year when people were saying that the grizz would give spurs a hard time because we only won one game against them that season. OH PLEASE! i predicted a sweep and i know many of you all did too. shut up those fools. with that said the only team in worries about is the sonics. the heat barely won a game in which they shot 53%. now you know if the spurs kept them to even a 50% shooting percentage we would have won that game. so dont worry guys...its in the bag. Pheonix who??????

tmodgling
02-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Yaaaa!!!!!!!!

I love watching TNT for stuff like this. Now I can do it on the computer.

IX_Equilibrium
02-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Terrence (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=167) and Philip (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?userid=53) make such a delightful tag team.

T & P rock!

RobinsontoDuncan
02-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I thought you were stalking Jim, when did you get a chance to do all this?

bigzak25
02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
agreed that the rockets could drain a spurs team with their defensive scheme and steal a game or 2 making for a bunch of tired spurs going into the 2nd round to face, more than likely run and gun teams....but no way they take 4. that said, i'm hoping our spurs secure the 1 and the rockets better than the 8th so that this matchup is avoided altogether. much rather face the lakes or grizz.

SequSpur
02-19-2005, 05:08 PM
you're high.

Rummpd
02-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Spurs need to respect all teams and Houston would probably give the Spurs a tough 6 game series only because Pop would play slow ball with them.

However, Spurs would win a series with them period.

smeagol
02-19-2005, 05:41 PM

That's funny.

Hey Walton, thanks for being one more time the straw that stirs the drink around here (arrogant fuck-o).

T Park
02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
what exactly wrong did Walton say.

Houston is a true contender to the Spurs.

THey have bigs up front, they play D, and good guard play.

Great post Walton.

I agree, the only teams that stand in the Spurs way are Dallas and Houston.

Everyone else are just pretenders

ShoogarBear
02-19-2005, 07:59 PM
The Rockets seem to be peaking since the trade, and they clearly have the best defense on anyone else in the West.

That being said, 50% of the Spurs' problems against Houston seem to be that Pop and Co. have made up their mind that every game against them must be a gutter slugfest. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it maximizes the Rockets' chances of winning.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2005, 08:43 PM
North?

smeagol
02-19-2005, 09:03 PM
TPark, my problem is not with Walton's post, it's with Walton running some "Argentina smack" some days ago, which was totaly uncalled for.

what exactly wrong did Walton say

Have you been hanging out with Ducks, lately?

Guru of Nothing
02-20-2005, 12:53 AM
North?

Beat me to it.

Matrix
02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Im not sold on the rockets yet, I think the only teams that needs a close eye on is Dallas,

dollyllama
02-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Houston is going out in the first round. They will get shot out of the gym by Seattle or Dallas, or run out of it by Phoenix.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2005, 02:26 AM
They are not good enough nor deep enough to beat the spurs in seven games

Well, they're 2-2 so far :(

The problem isn't their depth, or Tmac, or Yao. The problem is that our wonderful coach thinks he needs to out-ugly/out-defense Van Gundy. I have no problem with us wanting to turn the screws on them defensively.

The problem is Pop abandons all semblance of an offense and goes back to basically 4down on steroids. The strategy has gotten us beat twice now by Houston, I just wonder if Pop will figure it out in time or if, heaven forbid if we play them, we'll be subjected to a long summer of scapegoating certain players while Pop refuses to look in the mirror.

In short: Pop pulls his damn head out on the offensive end, we'll be find. Pop continues to be hellbent on making the game as ugly as possible and coming out on top, and we won't.

td4mvp21
02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Houston is going out in the first round. They will get shot out of the gym by Seattle or Dallas, or run out of it by Phoenix.

If they are sixth seed(I think they are already) and Seattle stays at third seed, I could see an upset. McGrady has some experience, Yao has some, and their veterans are going to play a huge role. I wouldn't underestimate them.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
The Spurs just need to run.

Houston is completely incapable of it.

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Have you been hanging out with Ducks, lately?

:lol :lmao :lol :lmao

Jimcs50
02-20-2005, 02:13 PM
what exactly wrong did Walton say.

Houston is a true contender to the Spurs.

THey have bigs up front, they play D, and good guard play.

Great post Walton.

I agree, the only teams that stand in the Spurs way are Dallas and Houston.

Everyone else are just pretenders

TPark, you are so full of shit. Jst last week, I said this same thing about the Rockets and how they were built for the playoffs and that SA could be one and done in first round against them, and you told me I was crazy, that Houston sucked, blah blah blah..

I guess, you only believe stuff when your boyfriend Walton says the very same thing I did one week ago....This is just another example of Walton stalking me and copying all my original ideas. :rolleyes

wildbill2u
02-20-2005, 02:36 PM
The Rockets seem to be peaking since the trade, and they clearly have the best defense on anyone else in the West...

I don't necesarily agree with the rest of the post about Pop's coaching against the Rockets, but leaving that aside...

Houston bears watching and respect. It took awhile to get over the almost complete remake of the team (exit of Mobley and Francis and one big guy)but Gundy seems to know what he's doing in rebuilding that team with shrewd trades and signings. The Rockets are slowly but steadily padding their record and moving up in the standings.