PDA

View Full Version : Seriously. Is the Republican party...

tim_duncan_fan
11-07-2008, 02:15 AM
about anything other than bigotry and greed?

And how can you call yourself a Christian and share the beliefs of this party?

I don't understand it.

Cry Havoc
11-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Awesome thread.

Anti.Hero
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Self-reliance.

And I hate you.

implacable44
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM

I don't understand it.

as compared to the democrats who are just as greedy - just as bigoted - the only difference between the two , skippy - is republicans believe in self reliance and personal responsibility and liberal democrats believe in hand outs and entitlements - that society - the government - uncle joe - somebody OWES them a living.

JoeChalupa
11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Ask Sarah Palin..the new voice and face of the Republican party.

doobs
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
There are 6 parties in America:

(1) Party of God
(2) Party of War
(3) Party of Business
(4) Party of Labor
(5) Party of the Poor
(6) Party of Minorities and Women

Republicans are (1)-(3). Democrats are (4)-(6).

Anti.Hero
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
By making the laborers depend on unions that kill their jobs.

By making the poor depend on the government who will only give them enough crumbs to stay dependent and keep voting.

By telling the minorities and women they are for them, that is only if they are liberal minorities and liberal women. If not, stfu.

Instead of educating their supporters on how to stay out of debt, get an education, work hard, invest wisely...they tell them how they are a victim and deserve better. And who will get it for them, their beloved government.

Open your eyes.

The Franchise
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM

I don't understand it.

Anybody can call themselves a Christian. Even devils.

101A
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM

(1) Party of God
(2) Party of War
(3) Party of Business
(4) Party of Labor
(5) Party of the Poor

What have the Dems ever done to ACTUALLY help the poor?

Also, I am "for" none of those things.

I am for smaller government.

There is no party for me.

ClingingMars
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Anybody can call themselves a Christian. Even devils.

florige
11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
as compared to the democrats who are just as greedy - just as bigoted - the only difference between the two , skippy - is republicans believe in self reliance and personal responsibility and liberal democrats believe in hand outs and entitlements - that society - the government - uncle joe - somebody OWES them a living.

:lol

implacable44
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Nope - not for me either. Homeless

Shastafarian
11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I like generalizations too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM

I don't understand it.

Are you trying to say the Democratic Party is about anything different?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Homeless as well. :depressed

There needs to be a new Jeffersonian Party founded in the ideals of Thomas Jefferson. Dude had it right.

clambake
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Homeless as well. :depressed

There needs to be a new Jeffersonian Party founded in the ideals of Thomas Jefferson. Dude had it right.

how so?

tim_duncan_fan
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Okay maybe Dems like money too (still not as greedy as Reps) but the party isn't based around hating everything like the Republican generally seems to be.

i.e.- blacks, gays, non-christians, independent women etc.

smeagol
11-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Anybody who thinks Dems are for ALL the right ideas and principles and Repubs are for ALL the wrong ones is a fucking rertard.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
rertard.this doesn't help your cause, dude.

clambake
11-07-2008, 01:30 PM
this doesn't help your cause, dude.

:lol

implacable44
11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Okay maybe Dems like money too (still not as greedy as Reps) but the party isn't based around hating everything like the Republican generally seems to be.

who freed the slaves again ? Which party had the highest ranking minority and woman in cabinet positions ?

Anti.Hero
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM

It's based on saturating the country in political correctness so as to label anyone who disagrees with you a racist, sexist, etc.

Have you ever questioned why the left keeps the blacks angry? Have you ever questioned why the left continuously tries to brainwash you into feeling like a victim?

Your buddy Biden has made racist comments before. But that's just Joe being Joe. That's just the left brainwashing you into fighting their fight. Only, they are the only ones profiting from it. 50 years from now, you all will still be victims and still waiting for the government to solve all your problems.

clambake
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Which party had the highest ranking minority and woman in cabinet positions ?

Hooters?

JoeChalupa
11-07-2008, 01:49 PM

(1) Party of God
(2) Party of War
(3) Party of Business
(4) Party of Labor
(5) Party of the Poor

I used to :jack to Party of Five. JLH and Neve Campbell.

ElNono
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM
who freed the slaves again ? Which party had the highest ranking minority and woman in cabinet positions ?

Clinton? Monica was in the Oval office... :lol

DarrinS
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
This thread delivers.

Wild Cobra
11-07-2008, 08:37 PM

The libtards here just don't get it, and I doubt they ever will.

Wild Cobra
11-07-2008, 08:40 PM
There is one. They're called Libertarians!

baseline bum
11-07-2008, 09:36 PM

An atheist would never win the presidency in today's America.:depressed

The Reckoning
11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
hopefully Ron Paul's "Revolution" will help shake up the party

Nbadan
11-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Playing the 'but we have a token black guy' card...but...but...Demos have a black guy as President...there you go..

TheMadHatter
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
The OP does have a minor point though.

It seems this modern version of the Republican party stands for extreme intolerance. The disgusting videos of the McCain/Palin rallies sums up the Republican party nicely. And it's why they lost miserably and are a minority party now after having complete control a few short years ago.

Nbadan
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
The OP does have a minor point though.

It seems this modern version of the Republican party stands for extreme intolerance. The disgusting videos of the McCain/Palin rallies sums up the Republican party nicely. And it's why they lost miserably and are a minority party now after having complete control a few short years ago.

It's been growing that way for a long time, it's just that previous GOP candidates have done a better job of keep a lid on it from the media....blame talk-radio, they've alienated the sane members of their own party and emboldened the ideological hacks...

Duff McCartney
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
who freed the slaves again? Which party had the highest ranking minority and woman in cabinet positions?

You're insane if you think the Republican party of 1860 is the same party as it is in 2008. Shit it's not even the same party it was in 1960 that it is today.

As for your second thread...that maybe true. But the Democrats have the first black President....period. That point you make is moot...and I don't think anyone...not 50 years ago or now would have ever even considered the Republican party to have the first minority President.

20 years ago if you asked someone if the Republican party would ever have a minority as their Presidential candidate they'd laugh in your face. The same holds true now...I doubt the Republican party will ever have a minority Presidential candidate.

Mitt Romney
11-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I'll be the front runner in 2012.

TheMadHatter
11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I'll be the front runner in 2012.

Could you have found a worse picture for your Romney troll?

kwhitegocubs
11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
No, I think that, like any political party of this age, the Republican party is made of factions. There are tons of one-issue voters, perhaps a majority of the electorate, though there are many issues and "that" issue may change for individuals over the course of several elections. A good 1/3 or even 1/2 of the Republican party maintains its loyalty because of its stances on gay marriage and abortion. Those same people were probably (imho) the same 25% of the electorate that continued to believe that Obama was a Muslim up until election day. I don't think that the three issues are in any way connected other than by a general Evangelical or Catholic identification with them.

There is an increasingly small (but still notable) subset of the above people which put anti-terrorism and ever-increased defense spending into their personal credos. This subset is almost perfectly overlapped with gun rights/hunter types.

Another one-issue group that is strong within the Republican base is the anti-immigration group, which doesn't always correspond to the above "social issues" Republican caucus.

The rest of the Republicans are likely libertarians and libertarian-lites, who believe very firmly in an Adam Smith-style "totally free market TM", and genuinely think that unshackling our economy from its governmental connections will result in increased productivity. They want to return to Goldwater as much as Reagan, and generally disavow the social conservative focus. Tend to be socially moderate or even socially liberal themselves, but not always.

The corporate wing of the Republican party and its lobbies tends to agree with the libertarians, but methinks some in this smaller (but obviously powerful) group do so with a bit of an alterior motive - greed and exploitation.

Democrats fall into their own categories as well - there are the Minority groups like African Americans and Native Americans that pretty much vote straight-ticket Democrat. African Americans have been doing this pretty much since the Southern Strategy effectively flopped the last remaining civil rights vestiges from the Republican party.

Then there are the Euro-Idealists (of which I would admit I am one). They believe more in Social Democracy. They see a "Totally Free Market TM" as having led to all of the negative developments for the working class, and that GINI coefficients (disparity between rich and poor) increase dramatically with decreasing government intervention. They point to the libertarians that upward mobility in this country is worse than all but two of the OECD countries and existing wealth centralizations ABOVE income level tends to mute any positive actions a theoretical free market meritocracy would have.

Then there are the Democratic special interests, which tend to be more diverse: The solar and wind energy buffs, the We-don't-actually-have-a-solution environmentalists, and the more knowledgeable environmentalists. The pro-choice lobby is well-monied and sometimes scarily close to actually being pro-abortion. The gay rights lobby is also pretty strong and key. There are also the anti-war activists.

Then there are the Unions, which tend to be blue-collar whites. Other blue-collar whites who are not in unions or are unemployed tend to sometimes follow the lead of the Union group.

Nearly all of the above groups agree on Universal Health Care (over 90% of registered Democrats and Liberals want it, based on studies).

I think that these are the best generalizations I could come up with, and while I am quite liberal, I understand the desires and ideals of the libertarian wing of the Republican party, but I simply think that the ideal is based on a series of false premises dealing with the underlying inequalities in humanity that make hard work NOT correlate directly with better rewards.

The religious zealotry of the first part of the Republican base is the most disturbing aspect of the political process, as they are unable to comprehend the fact that separation of church and state was meant to PROTECT religious minorities as much as anything (including smaller Christian groups). That being said, I think that there is a VERY reasonable non-religious argument to be made against Abortion.

No one will read this all the way, but I..damn....this is my third post. I'm starting out WAY too pretentious. :blah Eh. Okay.

implacable44
11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
You're insane if you think the Republican party of 1860 is the same party as it is in 2008. Shit it's not even the same party it was in 1960 that it is today.

As for your second thread...that maybe true. But the Democrats have the first black President....period. That point you make is moot...and I don't think anyone...not 50 years ago or now would have ever even considered the Republican party to have the first minority President.

20 years ago if you asked someone if the Republican party would ever have a minority as their Presidential candidate they'd laugh in your face. The same holds true now...I doubt the Republican party will ever have a minority Presidential candidate.

bro u r beyond insane if u think this is the same democrat party of hold. you mindless sheep have been hijacked by extreme liberals and marxists

Duff McCartney
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
bro u r beyond insane if u think this is the same democrat party of hold. you mindless sheep have been hijacked by extreme liberals and marxists

I don't think it's the same democrat party either. Not by a whole hell of alot. But the fact is for the most part since 1960 the Democratic party has stayed relatively stable while the Republican party has been hijacked by the christian right and evangelicals.

Nbadan
11-09-2008, 12:59 PM
No, I think that, like any political party of this age, the Republican party is made of factions. There are tons of one-issue voters, perhaps a majority of the electorate, though there are many issues and "that" issue may change for individuals over the course of several elections. A good 1/3 or even 1/2 of the Republican party maintains its loyalty because of its stances on gay marriage and abortion. Those same people were probably (imho) the same 25% of the electorate that continued to believe that Obama was a Muslim up until election day. I don't think that the three issues are in any way connected other than by a general Evangelical or Catholic identification with them.

There is an increasingly small (but still notable) subset of the above people which put anti-terrorism and ever-increased defense spending into their personal credos. This subset is almost perfectly overlapped with gun rights/hunter types.

Another one-issue group that is strong within the Republican base is the anti-immigration group, which doesn't always correspond to the above "social issues" Republican caucus.

The rest of the Republicans are likely libertarians and libertarian-lites, who believe very firmly in an Adam Smith-style "totally free market TM", and genuinely think that unshackling our economy from its governmental connections will result in increased productivity. They want to return to Goldwater as much as Reagan, and generally disavow the social conservative focus. Tend to be socially moderate or even socially liberal themselves, but not always.

The corporate wing of the Republican party and its lobbies tends to agree with the libertarians, but methinks some in this smaller (but obviously powerful) group do so with a bit of an alterior motive - greed and exploitation.

Democrats fall into their own categories as well - there are the Minority groups like African Americans and Native Americans that pretty much vote straight-ticket Democrat. African Americans have been doing this pretty much since the Southern Strategy effectively flopped the last remaining civil rights vestiges from the Republican party.

Then there are the Euro-Idealists (of which I would admit I am one). They believe more in Social Democracy. They see a "Totally Free Market TM" as having led to all of the negative developments for the working class, and that GINI coefficients (disparity between rich and poor) increase dramatically with decreasing government intervention. They point to the libertarians that upward mobility in this country is worse than all but two of the OECD countries and existing wealth centralizations ABOVE income level tends to mute any positive actions a theoretical free market meritocracy would have.

Then there are the Democratic special interests, which tend to be more diverse: The solar and wind energy buffs, the We-don't-actually-have-a-solution environmentalists, and the more knowledgeable environmentalists. The pro-choice lobby is well-monied and sometimes scarily close to actually being pro-abortion. The gay rights lobby is also pretty strong and key. There are also the anti-war activists.

Then there are the Unions, which tend to be blue-collar whites. Other blue-collar whites who are not in unions or are unemployed tend to sometimes follow the lead of the Union group.

Nearly all of the above groups agree on Universal Health Care (over 90% of registered Democrats and Liberals want it, based on studies).

I think that these are the best generalizations I could come up with, and while I am quite liberal, I understand the desires and ideals of the libertarian wing of the Republican party, but I simply think that the ideal is based on a series of false premises dealing with the underlying inequalities in humanity that make hard work NOT correlate directly with better rewards.

The religious zealotry of the first part of the Republican base is the most disturbing aspect of the political process, as they are unable to comprehend the fact that separation of church and state was meant to PROTECT religious minorities as much as anything (including smaller Christian groups). That being said, I think that there is a VERY reasonable non-religious argument to be made against Abortion.

No one will read this all the way, but I..damn....this is my third post. I'm starting out WAY too pretentious. :blah Eh. Okay.

Some of us read all the way, and as a new poster we appreciate your comprehensive introduction...

Nbadan
11-09-2008, 01:01 PM

What is your bases for this opinion? Was Clinton a 'extreme marxist and "liberal"' or are you just talking out of your right-wing radio ass again?

RandomGuy
05-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Medicaid, Social Security.

The big bad "socialist" things that Republicans gnash their teeth over.