PDA

View Full Version : Rockets screwed by Portland timekeeper

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Hollinger wrote that ESPN timed it and it took 1.6 seconds for Roy to catch and shoot the ball.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081107

Look at the clock in this pic.....Brandon Roy has already caught the ball, turned around and squared up and the clock has not even started, the Rockets got screwed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/ebaywekko/roy.jpg

DD

IronMexican
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Lol.

tlongII
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Home cooking baby! :lol

BacktoBasics
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
The clock keeper was a member of the Illuminati

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
isn't this the reason the introduced the instant replay?

picnroll
11-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Fisher did it in 0.4 sec in a playoff game and you're whining?

Indazone
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I am of the opinion that anything under 1 second is impossible to get a shot off. It'd be like you'd have to be a vollyball player. Ball touches your hand and you have to just punch it in the direction of the hoop. Impossible in less than 1 sec to set your feet, square up, shoot the ball.

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 10:38 AM
isn't this the reason the introduced the instant replay?

That is what I thought, I mean it is fairly obvious.....and I am with you on Fisher, I think the Spurs got screwed too.

DD

monosylab1k
11-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Definitely a screwjob but you've gotta expect that being in Portland on Kevin Duckworth night.

monosylab1k
11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
That is what I thought, I mean it is fairly obvious.....and I am with you on Fisher, I think the Spurs got screwed too.

DD

Isn't instant replay just to see if the shot got off in time? I don't know if they can do anything about the clock starting a half-second or so too late, is it possible to wave the shot off for that?

stretch
11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
rockets fail

dirk4mvp
11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I am of the opinion that anything under 1 second is impossible to get a shot off. It'd be like you'd have to be a vollyball player. Ball touches your hand and you have to just punch it in the direction of the hoop. Impossible in less than 1 sec to set your feet, square up, shoot the ball.

You're a fucking dumbshit.

Indazone
11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
You're a fucking dumbshit.

And you need to pull that rod outta your rear

v2freak
11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Looks like you have a legitimate beef. But like picnroll said, I'd rather have bad luck like this occur now than in the playoffs.

TheMACHINE
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
it only took yao 0.8 to make his shot?

Indazone
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Perhaps this is all considered normal -- there's bound to be a lag time before the clock operator triggers the start -- but as long-time Portland columnist Dwight Jaynes told me after the game, "I want that guy to time the rest of my life." :ihit

FromWayDowntown
11-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Seeking supporters on that argument on a Spurs-related board seems like an exercise in futility to me. Particularly when you're dealing with a relatively meaningless Game 5 of the regular season on the road and not a pivotal Game 5 of the Western Conference Semifinals at home, after one of the most incredible (and now forgotten) shots in playoff history.

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Isn't instant replay just to see if the shot got off in time? I don't know if they can do anything about the clock starting a half-second or so too late, is it possible to wave the shot off for that?

I don't know Mono, but you would think they would have some latitude as to the timekeeping, maybe put something on the officials to make them start and stop the clock?

DD

Dex
11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Roy's shot was still nothing less of incredible, especially considering it was his second clutch basket of the night. It deserved the win.

TheMACHINE
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Its so much easier to time when the basketball touched Roys hand in real life then using the slow motion replay. :rolleyes

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
it only took yao 0.8 to make his shot?

Actually I think there were 2.8 seconds on the Yao play....and when he got fouled the stopped the clock....which was right....the problem is the timekeeper did not start the clock with Roy touched the ball....and he made an amazing shot.

DD

Dex
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Actually I think there were 2.8 seconds on the Yao play....and when he got fouled the stopped the clock....which was right....the problem is the timekeeper did not start the clock with Roy touched the ball....and he made an amazing shot.

DD

There was actually 1.7 on the clock when they inbounded to Yao.

If Yao can catch, post, and shoot a turnaround J in .9 seconds, then Roy can catch, turn, and shoot in .8.

TheMACHINE
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
There was actually 1.7 on the clock when they inbounded to Yao.

If Yao can catch, post, and shoot a turnaround J in .9 seconds, then Roy can catch, turn, and shoot in .8.

May i add..slowly catch and shoot a turn around J.

Indazone
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Roy's shot was still nothing less of incredible, especially considering it was his second clutch basket of the night. It deserved the win.

yep, lets hear ya say that when it's the Spurs who are getting hosed with 0.5 seconds on the shot clock.

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
The difference is that Yao got fouled while shooting, which stops the clock immediatly and he got a continuation basket.

Please don't confuse the issue...one was a legal play within the legitimate time of the game.

The other was a fantastic shot that should not have counted.

DD

baseline bum
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Hollinger wrote that ESPN timed it and it took 1.6 seconds for Roy to catch and shoot the ball.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-081107

Look at the clock in this pic.....Brandon Roy has already caught the ball, turned around and squared up and the clock has not even started, the Rockets got screwed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/ebaywekko/roy.jpg

DD

Boo fucking hoo... come complain to me when the timekeeper fucks your team out of a championship.

Indazone
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Good pt Baseline...that's ten times worse. But screw these timekeepers!

JamStone
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't know Mono, but you would think they would have some latitude as to the timekeeping, maybe put something on the officials to make them start and stop the clock?

DD

I think it would have to be extremely egregious to use that type of latitude and discretion. While it looks like the clock may have started late, Roy still caught and shot the ball rather quickly. It wasn't like he caught, stopped, put down a dribble, pump faked, then shot.

Last year in the playoffs between Detroit and Orlando, Billups hit a triple to end a third quarter, but the clock had not started. The officials had to determine how much time lapsed. It would have been close whether Billups had made the shot in time. But, they still allowed it because they couldn't review whether it "beat the buzzer." So they only used the review to guess at how much time was remaining.

It's a slippery slope. There doesn't appear to be a clear rule on instant replay regarding such a thing. I really think it would have had to have been extremely egregious for the officials to disallow th bucket. I don't think it was in this case.

JamStone
11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Boo fucking hoo... come complain to me when the timekeeper fucks your team out of a championship.

A timekeeper screwing your team out of the second round of the playoffs is not screwing your team out of a championship.

Many PackYao
11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Seeking supporters on that argument on a Spurs-related board seems like an exercise in futility to me. Particularly when you're dealing with a relatively meaningless Game 5 of the regular season on the road and not a pivotal Game 5 of the Western Conference Semifinals at home, after one of the most incredible (and now forgotten) shots in playoff history.
No were just exercising the right to post what we thought.If no one agrees with what was an obvious timekeeper fuckup, thats ok too.I've seen some Spurs fans here who can see things from an unbiased point of view.

Trainwreck2100
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
next time play defense

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
next time play defense

LOL - I could not agree more...Tmac has been CRAP on defense this year...good on O....lazy on D.

Roy was his man, he let him go.

DD

tlongII
11-07-2008, 11:20 AM

The funny thing about that one was that it was in San Antonio! :lmao

Many PackYao
11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
The funny thing about that one was that it was in San Antonio! :lmao
ouch:lol

turiaf for president
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
cry all u want. that was a sick sick shot by roy. if u played better D it wouldnt have even mattered but grats to adelman fucking up the assignments because his defensive schemes suck ass

The Franchise
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
next time play defense

That shit was on McGrady. He was ten feet from his man when he caught the ball. Had he just been close enough to contest the shot I doubt he makes it. This lazy on D shit is getting tired really fucking quick. The defense had to scramble a lot because of his half hearted efforts to check his man all night. In the end it cost us.

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
That shit was on McGrady. He was ten feet from his man when he caught the ball. Had he just been close enough to contest the shot I doubt he makes it. This lazy on D shit is getting tired really fucking quick. The defense had to scramble a lot because of his half hearted efforts to check his man all night. In the end it cost us.

No doubt about it.

DD

sribb43
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM

if Adelman has any brains, when healthy, he will insert Battier for T-mac in the lost game situation in which a stop is needed

sribb43
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Bennet Salvatore was an official in last nights game...he is notorius for screwing teams over. See the 2006Finals and the phantoms call D-Wade got

Allanon
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
The replay rule cannot be used to judge if the timekeeper started the clock on time or not.

And of course, we think of it being ".8" seconds but these things are never accurate all the time. That's because it's a human sitting there and watching the ball come in. The Timekeeper can't cheat the player out of catching the ball so he has to wait until he actually sees the ball touch his hand.

Then you add in time to press the button and time for that to start the elctronics to start the clock.

There's easily a .5 second delay in almost every start/stop of the timeclock. But this works to the advantag/disadvantage of both teams.

So a .8 second shot would get something like 1.3 seconds minimum.

FromWayDowntown
11-07-2008, 12:17 PM
No were just exercising the right to post what we thought.If no one agrees with what was an obvious timekeeper fuckup, thats ok too.I've seen some Spurs fans here who can see things from an unbiased point of view.

I'm unbiased. I'm just not particularly sympathetic.

DaDakota
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm unbiased. I'm just not particularly sympathetic.

That is fair enough.......I am of the same of the Spurs crappy start.....but at least I can admit when someone got screwed.

DD

IronMexican
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying you didn't, but, it's game 5 of the season. Why not wait a while.

Kriz-Maxima
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Rockets didn't get screwed out of shit. That sort of thing has to have sort of room for human error. It all falls on the Rockets disgusting defense. Roy was halfway to the ball and TMac was still planted on his spot, while Yao did absolutely nothing to bother the inbound.

Rockets deserved to lose.

The Franchise
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Rockets didn't get screwed out of shit. That sort of thing has to have sort of room for human error. It all falls on the Rockets disgusting defense. Roy was halfway to the ball and TMac was still planted on his spot, while Yao did absolutely nothing to bother the inbound.

Rockets deserved to lose.

I agree with half of what you said, but part of it is wrong. It wasn't the Rockets defense it was Tracies (Lazy bitch). :ihit

Many PackYao
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Rockets didn't get screwed out of shit. That sort of thing has to have sort of room for human error.
I wonder if you would say that if it was the Pistons that got screwed.:rolleyes

RsxPiimp
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
next time play defense

chyeah. i dont know wtf is mcgrady thinking on that last play. sheesh.

Kriz-Maxima
11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder if you would say that if it was the Pistons that got screwed.:rolleyes

And I wonder if you would be as angry if it was the other way around. At the very least I'm certain it would had not kept you from celebrating the victory

Many PackYao
11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
And I wonder if you would be as angry if it was the other way around. At the very least I'm certain it would had not kept you from celebrating the victory
I would have no problem admitting they stole a win due to the timekeepers fuckup.I also do agree with others that the Rockets failed to play defense on that Roy shot.

Dex
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree with half of what you said, but part of it is wrong. It wasn't the Rockets defense it was Tracies (Lazy bitch). :ihit

Tracy definitely gave Roy a step, and that seemed to be the difference, but Roy was fighting for that.

What I don't understand is why Yao, who was guarding the inbounder (?) didn't even step to the direction of the ball when it was passed in. He was easily 3 feet away from Roy; if he jumps to the ball on that pass, Roy suddenly has to shoot over the Great Wall of China.

With 0.8 seconds on the clock, you know wherever the ball is getting passed, the shot is going up. I'm not sure what he hoped to accomplish by sticking with the inbounder, but it seemed like a pretty big mental lapse.

Indazone
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Not the first time in history homecourt and a biased timekeeper and officials win the game for the home team. Glory to the Soviets in 1972

The Soviets in-bounded the ball right away , but the referee, Renato Righetto of Brazil, blew the whistle with one second on the clock. Following a conference with the officials, it was determined that the Soviet head coach Vladimir Kondrashkin had called a time out. The decision was made to put three seconds back on the clock. At issue was the Soviets' contention that they had signaled for a time-out between Collins' two free throws. The game officials never acknowledged the time out. The validity of whether a time-out was legally signaled for is still open to question.
After the Soviets in-bounded the ball a second time, the horn sounded signaling an apparent American victory. Moments later, the teams were ordered back on the floor because the clock had not been properly reset to show three seconds remaining. Because of this mistake by the scorer's table, the celebrating Americans stood in disbelief when they were told they had not won anything yet. "We couldn't believe that they were giving them all these chances," said U.S. forward Mike Bantom. "It was like they were going to let them do it until they got it right."
"They had to reset the clock, so they (the Soviets) got a third chance," said L.A Times writer Randy Harvey. "The Americans thought that at every turn they had been cheated when, in fact, they probably hadn't been. But they'll never acknowledge that." This time the Russians ran a play which used a pass the length of the court. The result a Russian basket and a 51-50 win.

D0w0EevaLYA

sook
11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
DaDa don't try to justify it. The rockets simply didn't play D.

Our starters didn't even stick their hands up to contest portland's shots the entire game. Maybe they'll wake the fuck up now.

Btw tell Clutch to unban me, its been over a month

Roxsfan
11-07-2008, 05:42 PM
the rox deserved to lose that game. Let it hurt them, they deserve it after that showing.

I love how mavs fans(since they don't have any hope) create a circle-jerk after every rox loss........:lmao

Red Hawk #21
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Tracy definitely gave Roy a step, and that seemed to be the difference, but Roy was fighting for that.

What I don't understand is why Yao, who was guarding the inbounder (?) didn't even step to the direction of the ball when it was passed in. He was easily 3 feet away from Roy; if he jumps to the ball on that pass, Roy suddenly has to shoot over the Great Wall of China.

With 0.8 seconds on the clock, you know wherever the ball is getting passed, the shot is going up. I'm not sure what he hoped to accomplish by sticking with the inbounder, but it seemed like a pretty big mental lapse.

This is a great point you make here Dex.

himat
11-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Rockets played terrible defense on that play accept it. It is very possible to shoot the ball with under 1 second to go because the player only shoots the ball. He does not square up or set his feet because their is not enough time for that.