PDA

View Full Version : Anyone curious to see how Chalmers plays tonight?

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I know I am. I know he knows the Spurs could have taken him and didn't. Does he go off tonight on the Spurs or does he make the Spurs front office look like they know what they're doing?

Your thoughts?

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm also curious. The Nuggets traded their 1st rd pick (albeit it for a better 1st rd pick from Charlotte), instead of taking Chalmers who would have filled a big Nuggets need.

I think he will be solid tonight but he won't go off. Noone will know how the Spurs FO have done until a little while down the track.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
he's not gonna be singling out the Spurs..we weren't the only team that passed on him..

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
No he won't, but I am sure he has a list of teams fresh on his mind who passed him up.

YODA
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I thought Champers was the obvious choice at the time, but Im no pro scout.

tp2021
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I thought Champers was the obvious choice at the time, but Im no pro scout.

Neither are the Spurs scouts. :lol

honestfool84
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Neither are the Spurs scouts. :lol

funny how they've won us 4 titles in the last decade; i don't know how much more ungrateful you can be, and what more you want.

they've had us in the hunt EACH AND EVERY YEAR.

sounds like they're doing a good job to me.

tp2021
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
funny how they've won us 4 titles in the last decade; i don't know how much more ungrateful you can be, and what more you want.

they've had us in the hunt EACH AND EVERY YEAR.

sounds like they're doing a good job to me.

You can get off the soapbox. I was joking. Hence the :lol.

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/760403.html

Miami Heat's Chalmers readies for Spurs' Tony Parker
Photos By MICHAEL WALLACE
[email protected]
SAN ANTONIO -- Fresh off his record-setting performance in the Heat's victory against Philadelphia, Mario Chalmers is looking forward to his next defensive challenge.

That assignment comes on the road Friday night against Tony Parker and the San Antonio Spurs.

Chalmers set a franchise record with nine steals Wednesday against the 76ers. On Friday, he matches up with Parker, who is coming off a historic game of his own. Parker had 55 points in a double-overtime win at Minnesota on Wednesday.

Parker is the next star point guard in a run of tough matchups for Chalmers, a rookie who will face Chris Paul on Saturday when the Heat travels to New Orleans. Chalmers welcomes the showdowns.

''Being a rookie, you're still learning every game and every practice,'' Chalmers said after Thursday's practice.

"Those are the best point guards in the league. Why not go against the best to be the best?''

Parker also had 10 assists Wednesday, joining Michael Jordan and Oscar Robinson as the only players in NBA history to finish a game with 55 points and at least 10 assists.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Chalmers wouldn't have to defend Parker on his own.

''He has to be committed like he was the other night to take the one-on-one challenge,'' said Spoelstra of Chalmers, the first rookie to have nine steals in a game since Ron Harper finished with 10 on March 10, 1987. "But we can't leave him alone. He'll have help. The biggest challenge for Mario is to have back-to-back efforts with consistency.''

I. Hustle
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I say put Hill on him and see if we made the right choice.

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I say put Hill on him and see if we made the right choice.

I am very anxious to see that matchup. Hopefully it happens.

Tully365
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Chalmers went head-to-head against George Hill in pre-draft workouts in front of the Spurs brass and Hill outplayed him. And the Spurs were much more impressed by Hill's maturity in the interview process. End of story. Chalmers had his shot and was beaten out by Hill.

I love how so many people at spurstalk say that Vaughn is worthless but then say the Spurs should've taken Chalmers because he's from Kansas, which has a greater basketball program than IUPUI. I suppose that slightly over a decade ago, some would have argued for Vaughn over Nash.

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll admit that I was :wtf when they announced the Spurs were drafting George Hill because I had never heard of him and because I saw Mario Chalmers still on the board. However, I read more about Hill and gave it time. I like Hill now and glad the Spurs took him.

However, since I am being honest, I still wonder what Chalmers would have been like if the Spurs would have drafted him. Not saying one is better than the other. Just curious.

I'm just wondering how Chalmers is gonna do tonight and wondering how Spurs fans are gonna react if Chalmers scores 20+, dishes out 8+ dimes, has 3+ steals, and grabs like 5+boards or something like that and Hill has a so, so game.

SenorSpur
11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Chalmers went head-to-head against George Hill in pre-draft workouts in front of the Spurs brass and Hill outplayed him.

Moreso that seeing Parker go at Chalmers, I'm looking forward to seeing Hill and Chalmers go at it again.

timvp
11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Should be somewhat interesting. If Chalmers has a good game and the Spurs lose I expect a total meltdown.

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Should be somewhat interesting. If Chalmers has a good game and the Spurs lose I expect a total meltdown.

I agree with that. Its going to be hilarious to read all the comments if that happens.
:lol

tmtcsc
11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Nope. Not one bit. Couldn't care less.

timaios
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/760403.html

Miami Heat's Chalmers readies for Spurs' Tony Parker
Photos By MICHAEL WALLACE
[email protected]
Parker also had 10 assists Wednesday, joining Michael Jordan and Oscar Robinson as the only players in NBA history to finish a game with 55 points and at least 10 assists.

Come on...

tp2021
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Come on...
A cross between the Admiral and the Big O?
Let's trade Bonner and Vaughn for him!

MoSpur
11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I didn't even catch that.

sexinthatsx
11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
man... i hope george hill schools chalmers tonight

xtremesteven33
11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
If Hill were starting FOR THE HEAT hed be putting up similar numbers as well.

angelbelow
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
basically i see this situation as chamlers is an nba ready player with a short ceiling of potential and hill is semi nba ready for a high ceiling for potential. if chamlers ends up better its hills fault because hes got way more potential.

11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
chalmers, if i remember correctly, is an excellent defensive player that can probably develop to hang with the top point guards in the nba. he's already shown he can get steals at a high rate in against nba players. he definitely fits with dwyane wade because he doesn't need to score a lot. he just needs to play defense, pass the ball to wade, marion, or beasley and shoot threes.

Tully365
11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I'll admit that I was :wtf when they announced the Spurs were drafting George Hill because I had never heard of him and because I saw Mario Chalmers still on the board. However, I read more about Hill and gave it time. I like Hill now and glad the Spurs took him.

However, since I am being honest, I still wonder what Chalmers would have been like if the Spurs would have drafted him. Not saying one is better than the other. Just curious.

I'm just wondering how Chalmers is gonna do tonight and wondering how Spurs fans are gonna react if Chalmers scores 20+, dishes out 8+ dimes, has 3+ steals, and grabs like 5+boards or something like that and Hill has a so, so game.

Agreed.

Moreso that seeing Parker go at Chalmers, I'm looking forward to seeing Hill and Chalmers go at it again.

That would be great. I still take Hill.

Obstructed_View
11-07-2008, 06:22 PM
How could a Spurs fan not be?

Fabbs
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
So who "won" the Chalmers - Hill battle?

Were they head to head much?